Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Hot spots (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711259)

Itshim 18-08-2022 17:31

Hot spots

So I see that hotspots don't work on Android 11 or above, what gain do l get by being a hot spot? As l can't use it :confused:

Paul 18-08-2022 17:33

Re: Hot spots

I dont really think you gain anything, I opted out of it.

Itshim 19-08-2022 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36131689)
I dont really think you gain anything, I opted out of it.

Thanks it what I was thinking

Brunel 20-08-2022 21:56

So I see that hotspots don't work on Android 11

Does that mean you cannot connect to V.M. hotspots?

djmagnifique 21-08-2022 00:10

What is a hot spot not?https://www.cableforum.uk/board/data...UqJBqVKlRGP//Z

roughbeast 21-08-2022 14:00

I recently left VM for Vodafone/City fibre, but I don't think I used a VM hotspot more than a couple of times apart from VMs Tube Platform service (Didn't always work) In any case, the availability of 4G in most of the places I visit made the hot spots pointless. In most remote areas where 4G reception is poor, e.g. rural North Norfolk, VM don't have a presence anyway.

As an experiment, I did try turning off 4G in our area, where there was a good VM take-up, but couldn't connect to any hotspot. In the street the signal was too weak. Street boxes were supposed to be hotspots, but they didn't show up on the map anyway.

VM need to stop pretending that this is a proper service.

Itshim 21-08-2022 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunel (Post 36131888)
So I see that hotspots don't work on Android 11

Does that mean you cannot connect to V.M. hotspots?

Yep was inside a shop shown as hot spot ,nothing so searched and found on virgin help ,they don't work on 11 or over ( which I have ) virgin con yet again :shocked:

Mr K 21-08-2022 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 36131915)
I recently left VM for Vodafone/City fibre, but I don't think I used a VM hotspot more than a couple of times apart from VMs Tube Platform service (Didn't always work) In any case, the availability of 4G in most of the places I visit made the hot spots pointless. In most remote areas where 4G reception is poor, e.g. rural North Norfolk, VM don't have a presence anyway.

As an experiment, I did try turning off 4G in our area, where there was a good VM take-up, but couldn't connect to any hotspot. In the street the signal was too weak. Street boxes were supposed to be hotspots, but they didn't show up on the map anyway.

VM need to stop pretending that this is a proper service.

I got it to work a couple of years ago but you feel a bit conspicuous lurking with your phone 2 inches outside somebodies front window....

heero_yuy 22-08-2022 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36131943)
I got it to work a couple of years ago but you feel a bit conspicuous lurking with your phone 2 inches outside somebodies front window....

Peeping Tom. :D

nomadking 22-08-2022 20:05

Is the problem just with the VM app and Android 11?
IIRC There was a way to treat a VM hotspot in the same way as any other, without having to use the VM app. EG You could setup a Windows Laptop to use a VM hotspot. Not sure if it still works. From a few years ago.

Quote:

To connect without the app,
1. Choose the WiFi network "Virgin Media"
2. Username is your VM account email, "vmedwifi/*YOUREMAIL*" eg. vmedwifi/myemail@yahoo.co.uk
3. Password is your VM account password
VM hotspots can be useful in certain locations, eg London Underground.
Quote:

WiFi hotspots locations include:

• Cafes, bars, restaurants
  • UK airports - Stansted, Manchester, Liverpool John Lennon Airport, Glasgow International
  • 250+ London Underground stations and in all Glasgow Subway stations
  • Selected UK streets - phone booths and cable cabinets

They also might be useful in the event of your BB going down and a neighbour is also with VM.

Itshim 23-08-2022 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36132035)
IIRC There was a way to treat a VM hotspot in the same way as any other, without having to use the VM app. EG You could setup a Windows Laptop to use a VM hotspot. Not sure if it still works. From a few years ago.

They also might be useful in the event of your BB going down and a neighbour is also with VM.

I have no idea looked for why it didn't work for me , found that it didn't work with Android 11and above ,virgin community forum :dozey:

pip08456 23-08-2022 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36132035)

The problem with using your neighbours connection is that by far the vast majority have opted out. That means you can't use it. They erroneously think you will be stealing bandwidth from them which couldn't be further from the truth.

Brunel 23-08-2022 19:25

The problem with using your neighbours connection is that by far the vast majority have opted out.

If you opt out, then your Hub will not be transmitting the Virgin Media SSID.
The Virgin Media hotspot uses WPA2 Enterprise security.

Not sure if virgin Media hotspot shows, when using your own router.

Sephiroth 24-08-2022 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36132115)
The problem with using your neighbours connection is that by far the vast majority have opted out. That means you can't use it. They erroneously think you will be stealing bandwidth from them which couldn't be further from the truth.

Broadly true, Pip.

But, being pedantic for once, they (in the plural) would be "stealing" upstream opportunities and adding to downstream congestion on that channel range.

Gavin-D 16-09-2022 22:13

WiFi hotspots now work on Android 12 after you update the app