Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Smart Meter Con (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710197)

1andrew1 26-08-2021 18:48

Re: The Smart Meter Con

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36090408)
That's part of the con. Both meters allow variable tariffs to be applied real time and your electricity can be cut off at the press of a remote button. This is not mentioned in the hype.

It's a disgusting con.

Assuming I'm understanding this right...what is the issue in allowing variable tariffs to be applied real time if you've signed up to this type of contract? If this type of tariff is problematical it's not the fault of the smart meter but of the tariff.

Jaymoss 26-08-2021 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36091056)
Assuming I'm understanding this right...what is the issue in allowing variable tariffs to be applied real time if you've signed up to this type of contract? If this type of tariff is problematical it's not the fault of the smart meter but of the tariff.

yes but they will remove the choice

1andrew1 26-08-2021 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36091058)
yes but they will remove the choice

Is that a prediction or something they've said they'll do? It's quite a competitive market so room for different offerings.

Sephiroth 26-08-2021 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36091056)

If they pull the stunt that my meter is end of life, they’ll force me onto the shenanagins they are trying to pull and don’t tell you about.

Jaymoss 26-08-2021 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36091059)
Is that a prediction or something they've said they'll do? It's quite a competitive market so room for different offerings.

it is not as competitive as it was any more since the price cap has screwed everyone who bothered to compare every year. Some companies best prices are very little lower than their standard now

Sephiroth 24-09-2021 21:20

Look at what an official web site is saying (and this is also being said in those stupide Einstein ads):

https://www.smartenergygb.org/smart-meter-benefits

Quote:

What's the link between smart meters and clean air?

From the moment your smart meter is installed, you are helping to reduce our carbon emissions as a nation. Smart meters help to create a smart energy system. With a truly smart energy system we can better match supply with demand, and integrate more renewable energy sources such as wind and solar into the system. These forms of generating energy create less air pollution and emit significantly less CO2 into the atmosphere.
The above is weasel wording for saying they can bring energy sources on stream as demand rises. Like when there's no wind and the sun ain't shining.

Carth 24-09-2021 23:53

I think we're all aware of where the sun ain't shining ;)

Paul 25-09-2021 02:03

Well they have already blamed the shortage of 'green' electricity on a lack of wind his year.

Jaymoss 25-09-2021 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36094399)
Well they have already blamed the shortage of 'green' electricity on a lack of wind his year.

My IBS means I got enough wind for everyone, but that is another story hehehe

Taf 17-11-2021 10:04

I've just had the fourth phone call from a south asian woman.

"Am I speaking to <insert name>? I am calling on behalf of your energy supplier <insert company name> to arrange a date for the installation of your second generation smart meter."

This first 3 couldn't even pronounce my name anywhere near correctly, and the last one gave the wrong energy supplier.

Sephiroth 17-11-2021 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36101571)
I've just had the fourth phone call from a south asian woman.

"Am I speaking to <insert name>? I am calling on behalf of your energy supplier <insert company name> to arrange a date for the installation of your second generation smart meter."

This first 3 couldn't even pronounce my name anywhere near correctly, and the last one gave the wrong energy supplier.

Just as well you're not a Yorkshire Cricketer.

Anyway, so we have two scams - the meter scam and the South Asian scam scamming the first scam.

Stephen 17-11-2021 11:06

I really don't see what the con or scam is. We have obviously got a smart meter in our new home. It's ser to report the meter data daily and allows an easier quicker method to see my usage and charges online.

Sephiroth 17-11-2021 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36101583)
I really don't see what the con or scam is. We have obviously got a smart meter in our new home. It's ser to report the meter data daily and allows an easier quicker method to see my usage and charges online.

The con is what Einstein doesn't tell you and the Guvmin keep quiet.

1/
If everyone has a smart meter, tariffs can be adjusted by the hour according to demand. Given that the power companies are profit driven, they will be able to dip into our pockets subject to whatever regulation there may be.

2/
You can be cut off peremptorily (Electricity). What with hacking and political levers that might be applied, this leaves the ordinary people in some potential difficulty.

If the above matters were sufficiently prominent in the adverts, I wouldn't mind so much.

Stephen 17-11-2021 11:34

If those things actually happen or have happened I'm sure we'd have heard of it.

How can they charge a different rate when you are say on a fixed tariff for 2 years or such.

Sephiroth 17-11-2021 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36101593)
If those things actually happen or have happened I'm sure we'd have heard of it.

How can they charge a different rate when you are say on a fixed tariff for 2 years or such.

Smart meters are the enablers for what they haven't told you.

There is an explanatory article that takes a benign line, versus my cyniciam.

https://www.power-technology.com/fea...rding-changes/

The article is well populated with "time-of-use-tariff" references and remote cut-off.