Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   BBC regionalised HD delayed slightly (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710925)

cheekyangus 30-03-2022 15:16

BBC regionalised HD delayed slightly

"End of 2022" has changed to "Early 2023" in the latest BBC Annual Plan.

Virgin Media and Sky Glass have already got regional HD for England so this basically Satellite, Digital Terrestrial and upgrading of remaining regional studio facilities.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/bbc-one-hd...roll-out-delay

RichardCoulter 30-03-2022 17:34

Re: BBC regionalised HD delayed slightly

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36117794)
"End of 2022" has changed to "Early 2023" in the latest BBC Annual Plan.

Virgin Media and Sky Glass have already got regional HD for England so this basically Satellite, Digital Terrestrial and upgrading of remaining regional studio facilities.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/bbc-one-hd...roll-out-delay

Said to be as a result of the new TV licence freeze.

cheekyangus 30-03-2022 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36117798)
Said to be as a result of the new TV licence freeze.

Partially at least, yeah. Though it could still be in the same Financial Year for them. It does say "early" after all, and most Financial Years end at start of April.

I wouldn't be surprised if that transmitter fire messed up all the plans the PSBs had for Digital Terrestrial changes, as the engineers had to be redeployed to plan and construct both temporary and new permanent coverage for the affected areas. Which means those engineers weren't available to upgrade the Digital Terrestrial broadcast network elsewhere.

cheekyangus 30-03-2022 22:19

Mark C on Digital Spy added a further factor I wasn't aware of.

"It might just be equipment lead times, some manufacturers are now quoting over 12 months. If the Beeb have only just ordered some of the kit now......."

nodrogd 08-04-2022 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36117804)

I wouldn't be surprised if that transmitter fire messed up all the plans the PSBs had for Digital Terrestrial changes, as the engineers had to be redeployed to plan and construct both temporary and new permanent coverage for the affected areas. Which means those engineers weren't available to upgrade the Digital Terrestrial broadcast network elsewhere.

On Arqiva's side, most of what needs to be in place already is. The BBC will not upgrade Freeview until Freesat has the HD channels at least, which is dependent on them changing their transponder leases. The interlinking regional HD circuits are in place now, & are what you are seeing in use if you have Virgin or Sky Glass.

cheekyangus 08-04-2022 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36118468)
On Arqiva's side, most of what needs to be in place already is. The BBC will not upgrade Freeview until Freesat has the HD channels at least, which is dependent on them changing their transponder leases. The interlinking regional HD circuits are in place now, & are what you are seeing in use if you have Virgin or Sky Glass.

I haven't read that before.

nodrogd 08-04-2022 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36118476)
I haven't read that before.

Insider info. I was told back in January that ITV was now fully region capable on Freeview. So I asked why 3 months on it had not been implemented.

The response was it could be implemented immediately. But as PSB3 is BBC owned & the BBC won't switch in the primarys until they are ready, or should I say willing to do so. This leaves ITV is stuck with what will be its secondary "backup" distribution on Freeview (Meridian in Anglia, Granada in Yorkshire etc as it is now). I've no doubt there must be some frustration at ITV about this, but no further comments were forthcoming on the subject

cheekyangus 08-04-2022 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36118477)
Insider info. I was told back in January that ITV was now fully region capable on Freeview. So I asked why 3 months on it had not been implemented.

The response was it could be implemented immediately. But as PSB3 is BBC owned & the BBC won't switch in the primarys until they are ready, or should I say willing to do so. This leaves ITV is stuck with what will be its secondary "backup" distribution on Freeview (Meridian in Anglia, Granada in Yorkshire etc as it is now). I've no doubt there must be some frustration at ITV about this, but no further comments were forthcoming on the subject

Ah. Many thanks.

BBC regions don't align with ITV ones, I think there are more regions for a start, so does that mean it's complete to BBC requirements rather than just ITVs?

nodrogd 08-04-2022 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36118480)
Ah. Many thanks.

BBC regions don't align with ITV ones, I think there are more regions for a start, so does that mean it's complete to BBC requirements rather than just ITVs?

The only really big difference between the two networks is in Scotland where STV has four varients to the BBCs one. Throughout England the same set of transmitter groups carry the same regions with just a few anomalies. The BBC changed its region at Whitehawk Hill which will have to either carry one or the other ITV region. Another that comes to mind is Ridge Hill where an additional ITV mux is broadcast carrying the South West region only. With the BBC the North East shares with Cumbria, so they would be forced to duplicate the config to match ITVs setup.

cheekyangus 10-05-2022 14:31

​BBC2 Northern Ireland HD is now in testing (heads-up from a516digital on Twitter) on Satellite. Proper transmission, not the green screen with EPG shown twice briefly.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...86425338904577

Apparently on Sky transponders. I can't imagine the BBC renting space just for 1 HD channel at this juncture, so , and I'm just speculating here , I can see the other BBC1 HD English regions arriving fairly soon on Satellite.

Media Boy UK 10-05-2022 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36118492)
The only really big difference between the two networks is in Scotland where STV has four varients to the BBCs one. Throughout England the same set of transmitter groups carry the same regions with just a few anomalies. The BBC changed its region at Whitehawk Hill which will have to either carry one or the other ITV region. Another that comes to mind is Ridge Hill where an additional ITV mux is broadcast carrying the South West region only. With the BBC the North East shares with Cumbria, so they would be forced to duplicate the config to match ITVs setup.

I really wish ITV would buy STV as STV is ITV in all but name.

Only thing "Scottish" is:

Weekends, Christmas, New Year week and Bank Holidays:

TBC. STV News

Weekdays (Not on Christmas, New Year week and Bank Holidays):

1.55pm- 2.00pm STV News
6.00pm - 6.30pm STV News
10.30pm- 11.00pm Scotland Tonight - Monday to Wednesday

Thursdays:
8.30pm - 9.00pm Scotland Tonight
10.40pm - 11.10pm Tonight - As shown at 8.30pm on ITV.

All the rest is as shown on ITV.

cheekyangus 10-05-2022 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36121867)
I really wish ITV would buy STV as STV is ITV in all but name.

Only thing "Scottish" is:

Weekends, Christmas, New Year week and Bank Holidays:

TBC. STV News

Weekdays (Not on Christmas, New Year week and Bank Holidays):

1.55pm- 2.00pm STV News
6.00pm - 6.30pm STV News
10.30pm- 11.00pm Scotland Tonight - Monday to Wednesday

Thursdays:
8.30pm - 9.00pm Scotland Tonight
10.40pm - 11.10pm Tonight - As shown at 8.30pm on ITV.

All the rest is as shown on ITV.

That's just the Channel 3 licensee part of the company, they do other things like making programming for other broadcasters too. For example, the BBC.