Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1000M : Vodafone 4G backup (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711783)

bbxxl 11-03-2023 08:45

Vodafone 4G backup

We had a powercut and when the power came back, shortly after we had internet.
I then noticed it was very slow. It appears to be using my Vodafone 4G instead of Virgin Broadband . I have a SIM only contract with Vodafone.
When I enter the ip address for my hub 4 it takes me to a login page for a Vodafone hub. I have never had a Vodafone hub or Vodafone broadband and now can’t get into my hub or get it to connect to virgin.
Instead of the 980Mbps I was getting before the powercut I am now gett Less than 20. Speedtest shows I am connected to Vodafone not virgin.
How do I get my hub to connect back to my broadband?
Help?
Thanks

bbxxl 11-03-2023 11:28

Re: Vodafone 4G backup

Well, I ‘forgot’ the network and rejoined and all is now fine (I’m now getting 1145Mbps)
I’ve no idea how it was connecting to the Vodafone network as I don’t have a hub and turned off the personal hotspot on my phone and it was still connecting.
Anyway, all sorted now.

bbxxl 11-03-2023 13:34

It gets worse.
My other iPad was still connecting to Vodafone so I tried the same. Still Vodafone.
On my phone I could connect to the hub so I changed the network name in case I somehow had something else connecting to Vodafone wiith the same network SSID.
Now all my devices are connecting to my hub with the new SSID and the hub is connecting to Vodafone not Virgin.
I have rebooted the hub and am running oit of ideas…

RobboEdin 11-03-2023 14:03

Have you tried turning off the Vodafone device??

bbxxl 11-03-2023 14:28

The only Vodafone device I have is the SIM in my iPhone. It is turned off and I still have a Vodafone connection through my hub.

jfman 11-03-2023 14:53

The personal hotspot on an iPhone wouldn’t show a Vodafone hub login. It wouldn’t (by default at least) even operate on the same IP as your hub.

Could your iOS devices have connected to a neighbour’s Wi-Fi? If you’d connected with one in the past your iCloud Keychain would have shared the password with the other device.

bbxxl 11-03-2023 15:13

No, I managed to change the SSID on my hunt and my devices are connected to my new SSID which is connected to Vodafone…

roughbeast 11-03-2023 20:37

Interesting.

I am now with Vodafone/CityFibre. Part of their service is 4G backup. Instead of their hub I use my own dual WAN router with VF's 4G Sim dongle on USB. We have had one short outage in 18 months. 4G came in seamlessly at 45Mb. Like you I only noticed because speeds were slower, but when I logged onto my Asus router it went directly to it, not to the the VF Hub GUI. This is probably because the VF backup is integral to my ASUS set up.

The only cause for your issue that I can think of is that you have somehow left your VF mobile in WiFi Hotspot mode and that your Hub 4 and other devices are using it as WAN automatically connecting to it using connection credentials used on a past occasion. (Hub 4 connecting to WAN by WiFi? Is that a thing?) Check that your phone is not acting as a WiFi hotspot. If in doubt, shut it down and then reboot everything else. With no other WAN connections apart from VM surely they will reconfigure.

bbxxl 11-03-2023 21:15

I turned off my hotspot, then I turned off my phone (with my only Vodafone SIM in it) off completely.
I was still connected to Vodafone through my Virgin hub!

roughbeast 11-03-2023 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36148028)
I turned off my hotspot, then I turned off my phone (with my only Vodafone SIM in it) off completely.
I was still connected to Vodafone through my Virgin hub!

OK. In that case a complete factory reset of your Hub 4 is needed. If that doesn't work, I'm flummoxed.

spiderplant 12-03-2023 09:29

Please can you post a traceroute?

bbxxl 12-03-2023 09:40

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s a traceroute

spiderplant 12-03-2023 11:45

Well you're definitely connected to Vodafone somehow. Have you tried turning off the hub and see if you still have internet access?

If that proves that you are connected through the hub, pinhole reset it.

bbxxl 12-03-2023 15:32

If I turn off the hub I lose internet. It is definitely going through the hub.
I am reluctant to reset the hub as, if I do and it reconnects to Vodafone, I then cant change the SSID/password and none of my devices will be able to connect

punkrock101 12-03-2023 21:00

Do you have power line adaptors by any chance? I have witnessed them before connecting to a neighbours broadband over the power grid.