Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Sky Glass TV (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710438)

Raider999 11-10-2021 15:53

Re: Bye bye Virgin Media?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36097009)
I thought these were LG? Nothing wrong with LG TVs

But you are right for the price I would buy Hisense and save a few hundred quid

The next thing I buy by choice ie if my existing tv lasts is a short throw projector and one of those really nice none reflective screens but that is years off my pocket hahahaha

I have just read the review - it states the screen is a Panasonic

The thing I was most interested in was the recording side of Glass - this was not mentioned at all (I have been told it can to the cloud - in which case I would want to know how long a recording would be available for)

Jaymoss 11-10-2021 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36097052)
I have just read the review - it states the screen is a Panasonic

The thing I was most interested in was the recording side of Glass - this was not mentioned at all (I have been told it can to the cloud - in which case I would want to know how long a recording would be available for)

Dunno where I got LG from then hahaha

Raider999 11-10-2021 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36097062)
Dunno where I got LG from then hahaha

I believe I read an article that said all OLED are either LG or produced by others under license to LG.

TimeLord2018 11-10-2021 16:50

Re: Sky Glass TV

The Sky Glass TV is made by TP Vision who make Philips TV sets

Quote:

The panel itself is supplied by TP Vision, the company behind Philips TVs. It combines the quantum dot technology made famous by Samsung's QLED TVs with a direct LED backlight. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Sky isn't getting into specifics such as the number of dimming zones Sky Glass has, or its peak brightness figures.
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/sky-...thout-the-dish

OLD BOY 11-10-2021 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36096575)
I think the level of functionality that is disabled if you cancel your subscription needs clarifying by Sky. I don't understand how buyers can be prevented from using Glass with another provider (eg VM) unless the HDMI inputs are disabled.

I suspect that they were referring to the Smart TV functionality disappearing if you cancelled Sky, leaving you with just the terrestrial channels via aerial.

I agree that as the TV has HDMI, you must be able to use streaming sticks and alternative boxes.

jfman 12-10-2021 20:46

Suspect given the entrenched poverty caused by energy prices, Universal Credit cuts, etc that Sky don’t want to be advertising interest free TVs to non-subscribers. Especially in the early days. Hence the lack of specificity.

Legendkiller2k 13-10-2021 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097080)
I suspect that they were referring to the Smart TV functionality disappearing if you cancelled Sky, leaving you with just the terrestrial channels via aerial.

I agree that as the TV has HDMI, you must be able to use streaming sticks and alternative boxes.

It'll work as a freeview tv once you cancel subscription, notes we have say you'll still be able to use Netflix, prime etc but noth SKQ itself.
You can connect 3 devices via the HDMI ports, if you have a hdmi switch/splitter you can ofcourse connect more devices, it does work with VM boxes no problems, however if you're staying with VM you'd be better of buying a standard smart tv, the SKY glass isn't all that from what we've been told in office.
I'm yet to see one but we're having a demo one in this week so i'll hopefully have more info then unless only the oompa loompas upstairs get the demo.

Media Boy UK 16-10-2021 23:38

Sky Glass Channel lineup revealed on DS Forum:

Highlights are:

-ViacomCBS to launch HD Channels for 5 Star and 5 USA

-Sky to launch HD Channels for Pick and Sky Replay

-BBC to launch HD Channels for BBC Alba and BBC Parliament

-Sky to add up to FIVE UHD Channels to EPG

In full: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...mment_99765764

Paul 16-10-2021 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36097664)
Highlights are:

-BBC to launch HD Channels for BBC Alba and BBC Parliament

Thats a Highlight :erm:

Pass.

Stephen 17-10-2021 19:45

I'd think about the 43" for our bedroom as don't currently have one there.

It's got decent specs and a soundbar built in. So wall mounting it would mean only having a power cable to hide.

In that respect its brilliant.

Legendkiller2k 17-10-2021 20:17

Can't wait for Virgin sand to launch. :p

Paul 18-10-2021 04:08

and what is Virgin Sand ?

cheekyangus 18-10-2021 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097772)

I think Legendkiller2k is referencing something they've seen at work and can't talk about yet.

Sand basically being part of glass production is just humourous way to say it's a Virgin Media branded TV product.

Stephen 18-10-2021 10:57

I think he is more likely just having a laugh.

Mad Max 18-10-2021 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097772)

Must be a beach somewhere nobody has walked on...:D