Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Internet Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Gmail Tricks (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711772)

Jaymoss 07-03-2023 18:55

Gmail Tricks

I think most of you know the Gmail . trick meaning you can use your gmail address and then split it with a . and it goes to the main account.

IE
myemail@gmail.com and my.email@gmail.com both go to myemail account. This is good as it allows you to get special offers as a new user when available.

Well there is another trick. This trick allows you to label you log in so you can see if someone sells your data

This time it uses a +

IE
myemail+pinterest@gmail.com sends any email to myemail@gmail.com so if you start getting spam from myemail+pinterest.com you know they have sold your data

I know this may well not be of interest to many but it interested me so I thought I would share

Chrysalis 08-03-2023 12:30

Re: Gmail Tricks

I do this with my personal domain so e.g. sign up to EE with ee@mydomain.com.

Pick another address for another entity, and very quickly know if their database either exploited or addresses been sold.

Didnt know your gmail trick though, so I am sure people will appreciate your tip. :)

Paul 08-03-2023 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 36147670)
I do this with my personal domain

I've been doing that for over 15 years (I run my own email server).
You can do the same with dreamhost as well, as long as you have your own domain.

[ This is how I knew octopus had emailed my old IRESA email address, if you followed that in the energy thread ].

Hom3r 08-03-2023 13:57

I wish that Gmail would allow you to show the inbox by the sender, not just the date.

Saul's Grandad 08-03-2023 15:29

Aha! That explains why I get random gmails meant for a US bririchardson on my bri.richardson account. It's been bugging me for ages. Any ideas how to stop it?

Dingbat 08-03-2023 20:13

As an early adopter of gmail, I was able to get an address with just surname@gmail.com.

Worked fine for years then started to get emails meant for other people with the same surname who registered on web sites with a space in the email address instead of a full stop, eg firstname surname@gmail.com instead of firstname.surname

So, I have to apologise to the person in Australia who hasn’t had any success with online dating, the person in New Zealand whose order for timber took a bit longer than expected, and the car executive in South Korea for him not getting his flight confirmation on time.

Jaymoss 08-03-2023 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingbat (Post 36147704)
As an early adopter of gmail, I was able to get an address with just surname@gmail.com.

Worked fine for years then started to get emails meant for other people with the same surname who registered on web sites with a space in the email address instead of a full stop, eg firstname surname@gmail.com instead of firstname.surname

So, I have to apologise to the person in Australia who hasn’t had any success with online dating, the person in New Zealand whose order for timber took a bit longer than expected, and the car executive in South Korea for him not getting his flight confirmation on time.

hahahahaha

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul's Grandad (Post 36147684)
Aha! That explains why I get random gmails meant for a US bririchardson on my bri.richardson account. It's been bugging me for ages. Any ideas how to stop it?

aye that is it haha

Paul 08-03-2023 20:31

That happens even with fullname e-mails.

I got my proper firstname.lastname @ ntlworld.com address (as did my wife).

We get emails for other people with the same name, who obviously forget whatever variation they actually used when they created their accounts (I get more of them).

joglynne 08-03-2023 21:04

I get order confirmation emails from a tesco branch in London, I was even sent a money off code because the person had complained that he wasn't getting his emails from them.

I emailed Tesco explaining that the email address was mine, that I lived in Manchester and never shopped with Tesco. They emailed me to ask what the correct email address was for their customer!!! ....
...... now my spam folder receives a weekly delivery from Tesco.

GrimUpNorth 08-03-2023 21:22

I get someones Dish satellite bill every month and the occasional email from their relatives particularly their grandmother. Have had a few good conversations with granny but despite knowing I'm not her grandson she hasn't made the real grandson update his dish account. They've spent the best part of $6,000 to rent a house in Minneapolis for a week this June for a family get together.

One thing though, satellite TV seems expensive in the US, my namesake's paying $116.40 every month just for their TV.

idi banashapan 08-03-2023 21:24

Over the last few years a lot of subscription and sign in services have made moves to block you using + split addresses. Will work on some things still, but it’s becoming less useful than it used to be unfortunately

Paul 08-03-2023 22:04

I ended up changing the domain I used a few years ago, because some stupid sites could not cope with a domain that had a '-' in it.

(i.e. they could not cope with "my-domain.com").

Unsurprisingly, Virgin Media were one of them, they did fix it eventually.
As I recall, they used a faulty javascript check, so I was able to bypass it and register.
[ Once created, I could log in fine, it was just the account registration that was broken ].

tweetiepooh 09-03-2023 10:22

My own domain is a .info, some sites don't like that so lose my business. Sometimes I use spamgourmet when needing to fill in an email address. After n emails (definable) it swallows further emails, if I want to keep getting emails I can either let spamgourmet forward further emails or change my email on the site.
My GMail tip is that it can pull emails from other platforms into a single inbox. So if you have to use an ISP's email to set things up you can pull from that to GMail and you don't need to sign into their email to get their emails. You could also use the ISP's email boxes for the GMail trick.
Another tool I use is to utilise my domain to forward emails to multiple boxes so parents@mydomain goes to both myself and my wife, urgent@mydomain is forwarded to both home and work emails. When younger emails to child@mydomain would go to them and a copy to myself and my wife. This lets me see if they are getting something dodgy. Now they are older oldchild@mydomain just goes to that child.

Dude111 27-06-2023 16:58

Neat things!!!!!

Once I had an email account where ppl could email a certain folder on yuor account :D

So if they emailed dude111+sent@ it would be placed in the sent folder and not inbox.......

Interesting for sure...........