Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Rising cost of living (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710461)

Sephiroth 14-10-2021 20:52

Rising cost of living

Taking energy costs as the example, you couldn't make it up.

Paywall link and selected quote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-energy-bills/

Quote:

Mild winter ‘could protect households from soaring energy bills’

Kwasi Kwarteng shares internal long-term forecasts, which show wet and warner spells expected, with energy companies
The Weather Forecast can't even tell you if it's raining now.

This ridiculous minister is pinning his hopes on the weather forecast! Jeez.

Btw: what's this "internal long-term forecast"? Something we plebs don't see?

1andrew1 14-10-2021 21:05

Re: Rising cost of living

For individuals, higher energy prices will directly impact when the energy cap increases and people's fixed tariffs end. So for most people, I think they won't be so impacted until April 2022 directly.

However, they will be directly impacted by costs resulting from supply-side disruption such as this: Price of chicken set to rise, UK's largest supplier warns

Sephiroth 14-10-2021 21:25

Andrew, you’re absolutely right.

But you chose to avoid confirming my view of Kwasi’s pronouncement!

1andrew1 14-10-2021 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36097422)
Andrew, you’re absolutely right.

But you chose to avoid confirming my view of Kwasi’s pronouncement!

I assume everyone agrees with your comments on his pronouncement so didn't want to credit his nonsense by considering it worthy of debate!

Hugh 14-10-2021 21:55

Non-paywall link.

https://timesnewsnetwork.com/news/wo...-energy-storm/

Quote:

Kwarteng, whose portfolio includes energy, shared a briefing which said that “for the late winter period from January to February 2022, the most likely scenario is for an unsettled period of wet, windy and mild spells”.

The Met Office’s published longer-range forecast — used for contingency planning — only covers the next three months. It says that this period is “significantly more likely than normal to be mild”, although cold spells were possible, especially during November and December.

Jaymoss 14-10-2021 22:19

It is always those with the least who suffer the most when things like this happen

Sephiroth 14-10-2021 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36097425)

Like I said, if the weather forecast can't even predict rain on the day it's raining, then why should we take any comfort from Kwasi's announcement?

Don't they have advisors who can tell the minister whether or not he'd be held up to ridicule?

TheDaddy 14-10-2021 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36097427)
Like I said, if the weather forecast can't even predict rain on the day it's raining, then why should we take any comfort from Kwasi's announcement?

Don't they have advisors who can tell the minister whether or not he'd be held up to ridicule?

Krazy Kwarteng is used to being ridiculed, he's a deeply unpleasant person who called the British workforce lazy in that crappy book so as far as I'm concerned he and his opinions are worthless, even the ones that make him look ridiculous

1andrew1 14-10-2021 23:26

Quote:

The Br'Express is reporting predictions of snow in parts of the country soon
https://www.express.co.uk/news/weath...d-October-2021

Quote:

Yes, but Johnson won't let them near Kwasi as he's doing a really good job at taking the heat off Johnson.

Hugh 14-10-2021 23:43

Quote:

Loath as I am to defend him, I think he’s talking about medium to long term patterns of weather, rather than daily forecasts.

(Excuse me, but I’m off to scrub myself with disinfectant and a scouring pad so I can feel a semblance of "clean" again).

Carth 14-10-2021 23:55

Chicken shortage?

As mentioned by the boss of a company that has made £millions, it not £billions, from employing foreign workers on low wages, has been at the center of at least two cases of quality control and working practices, and had more than one occasion where Covid ran riot.

There seems to be an underlying theme with these big companies that are now struggling . . .

*can you tell what it is yet?*

Hugh 15-10-2021 00:24

You some sort of Commie? ;)

Carth 15-10-2021 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36097435)
You some sort of Commie? ;)

Damn . . busted*

*no pun intended Mr RAF chappy :D

Paul 15-10-2021 05:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36097421)
For individuals, higher energy prices will directly impact when the energy cap increases and people's fixed tariffs end. So for most people, I think they won't be so impacted until April 2022 directly.

You must be joking.
The price cap just went up, and a lot of fixed tariffs will end long before April 2022. I would think most people pay monthly, and those monthly payments are going to go up long before April 2022 as well. Only a small minority will not be impacted until that far away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36097421)
However, they will be directly impacted by costs resulting from supply-side disruption such as this: Price of chicken set to rise, UK's largest supplier warns

Priceless quote
Quote:

Ronald Kers, said that "in reality food is too cheap".
What a prick, maybe in his world, but not in mine.

Jaymoss 15-10-2021 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097439)
You must be joking.
The price cap just went up, and a lot of fixed tariffs will end long before April 2022. I would think most people pay monthly, and those monthly payments are going to go up long before April 2022 as well. Only a small minority will not be impacted until that far away.

Priceless quote

There is no doubt the energy price rises and if indeed chicken and other food prices increase my standard of living will drop a fair bit. That little bit of spare in my budget each month has dropped considerably. I have already had to change how I shop from weekly to fortnightly and the food I am buying is lower quality than before due to costs now

tweetiepooh 15-10-2021 10:03

I remember reading a few years ago that

decades back the average family spent 25-30% of income on food
now that figure is around 10%

Indicating how costs of basics had reduced greatly leaving more money for luxuries, or savings.

The chicken article was commenting that the price of a chicken had over the last years dropped from £5 to around £3.50 (not going to bother to reread). To get back up to £5.00 would be a huge percentage rise. (I like to get chuckies from the farmer's market, cost somewhat more than £5.00 but are very nice.)

I don't like price rises any more than anyone else but as costs increase so will prices. That will lead to wage increases -> cost increases and upward it spirals.

Problem is that those who could weather a wage freeze (or even cut) are likely to be the most vocal about maintaining wage rises.

1andrew1 15-10-2021 10:23

Quote:

You must be joking.

The current price-capped energy prices will sadly look a bargain compared to April's price-capped energy prices, unless something changes significantly.

jfman 15-10-2021 11:19

Quote:

Indeed, by definition the price will go wherever the market holds. Food cannot be “too cheap” because if it was companies would exit the market, reducing supply and prices rise.

It might be lower than he would like but tough.

Maggy 15-10-2021 11:56

Guess we will carry on growing our own but using the entire garden instead.I can always give the surplus away to friends and neighbours.

TheDaddy 15-10-2021 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36097449)
I remember reading a few years ago that

decades back the average family spent 25-30% of income on food
now that figure is around 10%

Indicating how costs of basics had reduced greatly leaving more money for luxuries, or savings.

Luxuries or saving, more like rent as decades back it didn't swallow up over half someone's take home pay

Hom3r 15-10-2021 18:54

We don't have central heating in my home, just an electric fire in the living room.

We've coped for the last 20 years.

When it comes to food, I do the food shop and always look for bulk buys and stuff that will keep or go in the freezer.

As there's only the two of us, I do struggle with trying to vary what I cook. But my dad is happy with what he gets, I do ask did that work or could it have been cooked a bit longer etc.

OLD BOY 17-10-2021 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36097425)

Quote:
Kwarteng, whose portfolio includes energy, shared a briefing which said that “for the late winter period from January to February 2022, the most likely scenario is for an unsettled period of wet, windy and mild spells”.

The Met Office’s published longer-range forecast — used for contingency planning — only covers the next three months. It says that this period is “significantly more likely than normal to be mild”, although cold spells were possible, especially during November and December.

—————-

I would add January and February to that list!

Carth 17-10-2021 18:24

More chance of snow in Feb/March than Dec/Jan nowadays, not that it's any colder if it snows or not.

To be honest I'm going to predict a very cold April next year :D

Paul 17-10-2021 19:09

Jan & Feb always seem to be the coldest months around here.
(Based on both memory and my external temperature readings for last year).

Mad Max 17-10-2021 19:24

Definitely Jan & Feb here.

tweetiepooh 18-10-2021 10:11

Isn't because as the years pass the point we are furthest from the sun moves. That is now Jan/Feb so while the days are getting longer we are moving away from the sun hence it's colder? So we don't get the Christmas Frost Fairs with the Thames freezing over or as many white Christmases. It's also likely some other factor that we can blame on Boris in effect too.

Hugh 18-10-2021 10:13

No, because it’s summer in Oz & NZ when it’s winter here…

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mob...in-the-winter/
Quote:

Regions of earth are colder in the winter because the tilt of the earth causes the sunlight to be spread over a larger area and therefore be weaker per unit area in these regions. Some people think the earth gets colder in the winter because the earth is farther away from the sun, but this idea is wrong. In fact, the earth is farthest from the sun in the northern hemisphere's summer, and not winter. But distance to the sun does not have much effect on the amount of sunlight the earth receives because the distance to the sun does not really change that much.

Mad Max 18-10-2021 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36097795)
Isn't because as the years pass the point we are furthest from the sun moves. That is now Jan/Feb so while the days are getting longer we are moving away from the sun hence it's colder? So we don't get the Christmas Frost Fairs with the Thames freezing over or as many white Christmases. It's also likely some other factor that we can blame on Boris in effect too.

That'll be due to global warming old boy...:erm:

Sephiroth 18-10-2021 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36097816)
That'll be due to global warming old boy...:erm:

Nah - it's Brexit, Squire.

1andrew1 18-10-2021 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36097817)
Nah - it's Brexit, Squire.

Nope, all down to Coronavirus, nothing to do with Brexit.

Hugh 18-10-2021 12:43

Nah, it’s Biden’s fault…

Carth 18-10-2021 14:37

I can't believe Nostradamus hasn't got a mention, surely he hinted at it somewhere in his writings . .

nomadking 18-10-2021 15:24

Basically Green policies stuffing everything up. Cold winter(ie global warming strangely absent), Germany abandoning Nuclear Power and relying on Wind power instead, just in time for a long term lull in wind. All leading to a massive demand for Gas.

1andrew1 18-10-2021 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36097847)
Basically Green policies stuffing everything up. Cold winter(ie global warming strangely absent), Germany abandoning Nuclear Power and relying on Wind power instead, just in time for a long term lull in wind. All leading to a massive demand for Gas.

I think Germany's gone more from nuclear to coal and gas.

On the inflation front, more cheery news, traders are betting on the Bank of England raising interest rates next month.

Carth 18-10-2021 15:39

Just received my letter stating I'll be getting the £200 winter fuel payment.

Every little helps :tu:

Mad Max 18-10-2021 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36097850)

I should get mine soon too.....:)

Hugh 18-10-2021 15:42

I’m too young…

(by just over a year)

papa smurf 18-10-2021 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36097852)
I’m too young…

(by just over a year)

Getting old takes a lot longer than it used to.

Carth 18-10-2021 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36097858)
Getting old takes a lot longer than it used to.

And when you get there, other things seem to take much longer than they used to :D

Mad Max 18-10-2021 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36097859)
And when you get there, other things seem to take much longer than they used to :D

:Yikes:

nomadking 18-10-2021 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36097848)
I think Germany's gone more from nuclear to coal and gas.

On the inflation front, more cheery news, traders are betting on the Bank of England raising interest rates next month.

They are moving away from coal as well. They relied on wind power with gas as a backup.
Looking at the energy capacity figures, in theory they should be able to do without coal and nuclear. Solar and Wind is just not that reliable to be able to rely on it, so you have to backup plants as well.

TheDaddy 18-10-2021 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097719)
Quote:

—————-

Finally the government has a plan, Krazy Kwarteng is praying for a mild winter, you couldn't make this shower up

OLD BOY 18-10-2021 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097719)
Quote:

—————-

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36097875)
Finally the government has a plan, Krazy Kwarteng is praying for a mild winter, you couldn't make this shower up

This is what happens when you listen to people like Greta without engaging brain.

1andrew1 18-10-2021 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36097874)
They are moving away from coal as well. They relied on wind power with gas as a backup.
Looking at the energy capacity figures, in theory they should be able to do without coal and nuclear. Solar and Wind is just not that reliable to be able to rely on it, so you have to backup plants as well.

Key thing with wind and solar is storage and we've not invested in that.

Mr K 18-10-2021 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36097847)
Basically Green policies stuffing everything up. .

I've just had a nice week on the N Yorks Coast. However a lot of it seems to be crumbling into the sea, with coastal paths diverted ever inland. It's us and recent generations that have screwed things up. We've now got to pay the price.

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36097850)

Don't worry the Govt, will be claiming most of it back from you as VAT on your fuel bill ! 😉

nomadking 18-10-2021 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36097896)
I've just had a nice week on the N Yorks Coast. However a lot of it seems to be crumbling into the sea, with coastal paths diverted ever inland. It's us and recent generations that have screwed things up. We've now got to pay the price.

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Don't worry the Govt, will be claiming most of it back from you as VAT on your fuel bill ! 😉

:confused: Coastlines have always been changing.

Mr K 18-10-2021 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36097901)
:confused: Coastlines have always been changing.

I think La Palma is the only place where the coastline is expanding atm, the rest of us will be retreating to higher ground. We could all go there but it might be crowded/smoggy/hot...

Taf 18-10-2021 19:53

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36097795)
That is now Jan/Feb so while the days are getting longer we are moving away from the sun hence it's colder?

The seasons are a tad more complicated than that. The hottest period in the northern hemisphere is when we are the FURTHEST away from the sun. The coldest is when we are CLOSEST to the sun (go figure).

TheDaddy 18-10-2021 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097890)
This is what happens when you listen to people like Greta without engaging brain.

Krazy Kwarteng is listening to her now, things must be desperate, he'll be listening to you next :spin:

Mad Max 19-10-2021 00:11

Greta should stick to playing with her dolls.

Carth 19-10-2021 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36097941)
Greta should stick to playing with her dolls.

Would be surprised if she had any considering most are made from plastic :D

Paul 19-10-2021 02:48

Given shes now 18, she probably has different toys to play with ....

Mr K 19-10-2021 09:33

Greta maybe irritating, but that doesn't stop her being right, which makes her all the more irritating to those that still deny reality.

OLD BOY 19-10-2021 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36097960)
Greta maybe irritating, but that doesn't stop her being right, which makes her all the more irritating to those that still deny reality.

She points generally in the right direction but she is extreme and unrealistic.

Still, they say a good negotiator asks for more than is actually required and may end up getting everything they actually want!

However, her general belligerence is turning some people off and as a result they are not listening.

papa smurf 19-10-2021 09:50

Quote:

i can't even listen to the goby little git,she should try a bit less drama queen in her rants.

Mr K 19-10-2021 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36097963)
i can't even listen to the goby little git,she should try a bit less drama queen in her rants.

Yes but that's just style, it's the substance that matters. How is the Cleethoroes coastline doing?

papa smurf 19-10-2021 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36097965)
Yes but that's just style, it's the substance that matters. How is the Cleethoroes coastline doing?

it's concrete and not prone to erosion;)

Carth 19-10-2021 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36097968)
it's concrete and not prone to erosion;)

Which is substantially better than many of the ideas doing the rounds of how to reduce global warming :Yes:

Mad Max 19-10-2021 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097946)
Given shes now 18, she probably has different toys to play with ....

:LOL:

Pierre 19-10-2021 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36097903)
I think La Palma is the only place where the coastline is expanding atm, the rest of us will be retreating to higher ground. We could all go there but it might be crowded/smoggy/hot...

Coastal erosion is nothing to do with rising sea levels.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Quote:

Is she right though?

Mr K 19-10-2021 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36098005)
Coastal erosion is nothing to do with rising sea levels.

Quote:

Sea level rise can also increase coastal erosion because waves can extend further up and along beaches and cliffs. Erosion is happening faster along coastlines made from softer sediments, notably on the East coast of England, where households and businesses in areas most at risk may find it hard to buy insurance.
https://www.lse.ac.uk/granthaminstit...uy%20insurance.

Sephiroth 19-10-2021 13:11

All of the above on the Greta gobshite underlines one thing: the climate change agenda is pushing up the cost of living.

We are in perfect storm territory. Without going over all the obvious ground, the Guvmin’s spouting and strutting on forcing us to ditch our boilers for dubious alternatives, 50p supermarket bags instead of 10p bags, 30p veg bags instead of recyclable free plastic bags as supermarkets try to put their hand into our wallets, and so on, £20 removed from universal credit - will cause a social bust when it starts to bite.

We are heading for shit creek nix paddle, IMO.

PS: I predict that after COP26, the Guvmin will find a foreign reason to re-open the coal-fired power stations; like France cutting off their electricity interconnect. Or the intolerable price of gas, etc.

Mr K 19-10-2021 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36098013)
All of the above on the Greta gobshite underlines one thing: the climate change agenda is pushing up the cost of living.

We are in perfect storm territory. Without going over all the obvious ground, the Guvmin’s spouting and strutting on forcing us to ditch our boilers for dubious alternatives, 50p supermarket bags instead of 10p bags, 30p veg bags instead of recyclable free plastic bags as supermarkets try to put their hand into our wallets, and so on, £20 removed from universal credit - will cause a social bust when it starts to bite.

PS: I predict that after COP26, the Guvmin will find a foreign reason to re-open the coal-fired power stations; like France cutting off their electricity interconnect. Or the intolerable price of gas, etc.

If we don't make the changes we'll have a lot more than the cost of living to worry about. Living itself, for a start. We've pushed this back and ignored it again and again, the longer we leave the more extreme the measures needed.

We maybe already past the tipping point of climate disaster thanks to our short sightedness/greed/stuff the next generation attitude. Seems foolish not to try even if we are late to wake up to it.

Mad Max 19-10-2021 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36098020)
If we don't make the changes we'll have a lot more than the cost of living to worry about. Living itself, for a start. We've pushed this back and ignored it again and again, the longer we leave the more extreme the measures needed.

We maybe already past the tipping point of climate disaster thanks to our short sightedness/greed/stuff the next generation attitude. Seems foolish not to try even if we are late to wake up to it.

Do you really believe that the UK can change the world re climate change? China and India continue to burn fossil fuels and are opening up new coal mines, there's no point in some countries trying to change the way we live if the biggest ones don't get on board, and there's no sign of that happening anytime soon.

Carth 19-10-2021 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36098013)

Add to that the push for 'cleaner' fuel . . bio-whatever it is. Huge swathes of land being 'cleared' to grow the crops it's made from . . which also has it's own flaws in the production process *allegedly*

Mr K 19-10-2021 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36098022)
Do you really believe that the UK can change the world re climate change? China and India continue to burn fossil fuels and are opening up new coal mines, there's no point in some countries trying to change the way we live if the biggest ones don't get on board, and there's no sign of that happening anytime soon.

Yes of course it has to be all countries. Hence the little meeting in Glasgow this month. Even China has a net zero target, although its not good enough atm. Economic catastrophe, which will follow climate catastrophe, is in no ones interest, even the selfish. Hopefully the penny has dropped, but we'll have to see.

If we still see ourselves as a global leader, why not lead the way?

Sephiroth 19-10-2021 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36098020)

As I said - perfect storm territory. Climate change meets cost of living crisis meets social cohesion crisis (upcoming).

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36098027)
Yes of course it has to be all countries. Hence the little meeting in Glasgow this month. Even China has a net zero target, although its not good enough atm. Economic catastrophe, which will follow climate catastrophe, is in no ones interest, even the selfish. Hopefully the penny has dropped, but we'll have to see.

If we still see ourselves as a global leader, why not lead the way?

Because India and China must lead the way. If we make sacrifices and they don't (they won't) we're pissing on ourselves not just the wind.

Mr K 19-10-2021 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36098031)
As I said - perfect storm territory. Climate change meets cost of living crisis meets social cohesion crisis (upcoming).

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

Because India and China must lead the way. If we make sacrifices and they don't (they won't) we're pissing on ourselves not just the wind.

And if we all wait for each other to do something? How about we all do it together?

Sephiroth 19-10-2021 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36098034)
And if we all wait for each other to do something? How about we all do it together?

... and how is that to be achieved? CVOP26 won't bend those big countries. Are you living in cloud cuckoo land?

Mr K 19-10-2021 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36098036)
... and how is that to be achieved? CVOP26 won't bend those big countries. Are you living in cloud cuckoo land?

Just living in hope we get some heads knocked together and achieve something. The consequences of not doing do are disasterous for us all, regardless of country.

Carth 19-10-2021 15:22

Hands up if you remember Sting and his outcry about the Amazon rain forests . . . .

to save people looking, it was 1989, and they're still being chopped down.

Sephiroth 19-10-2021 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36098039)
Just living in hope we get some heads knocked together and achieve something. The consequences of not doing do are disasterous for us all, regardless of country.

All very virtuous. But, barring a miracle, what you're looking for isn't going to happen.

Who's going to bang China's & India's heads together against whom else?

joglynne 19-10-2021 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36098040)
Hands up if you remember Sting and his outcry about the Amazon rain forests . . . .

to save people looking, it was 1989, and they're still being chopped down.

:wavey: I still believe he was genuine in his actions but .......

Nothing will change as long as those who benefit still get to tuck the profits in their pockets, and as long as a profit is theirs to grab that's the only figure they are interested in.

People may spout their support for any action but as long as there is someone whose lifestyle they covert then they won't feel that they bear any responsibility. The "Jones's" of this world have a lot to answer for.

papa smurf 19-10-2021 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36098039)

You could always sit on a motorway and demand change.

Carth 19-10-2021 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36098046)

I thought people sat in shop doorways and did that ;)

Mr K 19-10-2021 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36098046)

Could do but an international agreement on reducing greenhouse gases is probably the way to go ( and less risky for me ;) )

papa smurf 19-10-2021 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36098059)
Could do but an international agreement on reducing greenhouse gases is probably the way to go ( and less risky for me ;) )

What can we do to lower our <0.9% contribution and make a difference

Hugh 19-10-2021 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36098060)
What can we do to lower our <0.9% contribution and make a difference

Like we did with the abolition of slavery - lead the way, and set a good example.

papa smurf 19-10-2021 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36098061)
Like we did with the abolition of slavery - lead the way, and set a good example.

at <0.9% we are hardly the bad guys,and "slavery?" get a grip.

Hugh 19-10-2021 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36098063)

Who said anything about "bad guys"?

Leading the way would make us the "good guys".

papa smurf 19-10-2021 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36098065)

It's making the cost of living higher in the UK while the real polluters cash in.

Sephiroth 19-10-2021 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36098065)

What's the point when the Chinese and Indians (governments) carry on polluting? I've told you, social unrest can come into the perfect storm mix and that's terrible.

1andrew1 19-10-2021 19:19

Less likely to get any spare change from our food bills.
Quote:

Food and drink firms are seeing "terrifying" price rises says the sector trade body, which has warned about a knock-on effect for consumers.

Food and Drink Federation boss Ian Wright told MPs inflation is running between 14%-18% for hospitality firms.

The price rises for food firms' ingredients would lead to consumer price rises, he said and described the situation as concerning.

The UK's rate of inflation was 3.2% in August and is expected to rise further.

Bank of England governor Andrew Bailey recently warned it "will have to act", suggesting that UK interest rates may soon rise from the historic low of 0.1%.

Mr Wright told MPs on the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy select committee: "Inflation is a bigger scourge than anything else because it discriminates against the poor."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58962049

Carth 19-10-2021 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36098077)
Less likely to get any spare change from our food bills.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58962049

If you don't want to pay the price, don't buy the goods . . . watch prices suddenly stabilize if everyone did that :D

It's just business dicks taking advantage of a panic inducing media - again - don't worry about it ;)

Jaymoss 19-10-2021 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36098079)
If you don't want to pay the price, don't buy the goods . . . watch prices suddenly stabilize if everyone did that :D

It's just business dicks taking advantage of a panic inducing media - again - don't worry about it ;)

I lived on beans on toast when I was a 1 in 10 in the 80s I am sure if I need to I can do it again

Sephiroth 19-10-2021 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36098124)
I lived on beans on toast when I was a 1 in 10 in the 80s I am sure if I need to I can do it again

There's a run on baked beans.

nomadking 20-10-2021 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36098079)

Plants and businesses are shutting down just because they feel like it.:rolleyes: And not because of the large increases in their operating costs. Increases in costs make it impossible to reduce prices.

That is the real world of business, not government where they can simply borrow more and don't think about how it's going to be paid back.

Carth 20-10-2021 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36098135)
Plants and businesses are shutting down just because they feel like it.:rolleyes: And not because of the large increases in their operating costs. Increases in costs make it impossible to reduce prices.

That is the real world of business, not government where they can simply borrow more and don't think about how it's going to be paid back.

Damn . . no more boxing day sales then :(

nomadking 20-10-2021 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36098138)
Damn . . no more boxing day sales then :(

Food bills are a very different thing from buying a TV manufactured a year ago.

Carth 20-10-2021 00:42

You said plants & businesses :p:

edit: . . . and if shops still have one year old TV's for sale, they're buying too many in :)

TheDaddy 20-10-2021 02:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36098063)

Iirc since the world became industrialised we are the number 1 plouters, wow finally we're the best at something, surprised bozo isn't claiming this as an achievement

nomadking 20-10-2021 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36098141)
You said plants & businesses :p:

edit: . . . and if shops still have one year old TV's for sale, they're buying too many in :)

As in manufacturing plants(eg Fertilizer manufacturing which produces food grade CO2 as a by-product, Steel plants).
I said "manufactured". The cost to the seller will have been set months ago, before more recent cost increases. Although some of them might still start to filter through.
Your initial response(post #84) about buying for lower prices was in connection to food prices.

Carth 20-10-2021 10:08

oh . . ok then . . if you say so . . I guess . .

whatever . . .

Pierre 20-10-2021 11:16

Inflation actually dropped today, as the recent rise was not demand led, it was supply led. Inflation looks like it may yoyo around for several months whilst the global supply chain evens itself out.

nomadking 20-10-2021 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36098181)
Inflation actually dropped today, as the recent rise was not demand led, it was supply led. Inflation looks like it may yoyo around for several months whilst the global supply chain evens itself out.

A 0.1 drop is hardly earth-shattering. In part, all it means is that some price increases of August last year were higher than increases in August of this year. Then the very recent increases(eg gas and electric) have yet feed in.
Link
Quote:

The increase in the cost of living, as measured by the Consumer Prices Index, fell to 3.1% in the year to September, down from 3.2% in August.
Higher prices for transport were the biggest contributor to price rises.
It comes after the Bank of England warned it "will have to act" over rising inflation, suggesting interest rates may rise soon.
The inflation rate fell back slightly last month because prices in restaurants rose less this August than last August when the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme was running, the Office for National Statistics said.

Pierre 20-10-2021 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36098182)
A 0.1 drop is hardly earth-shattering

Not Earth shattering no, but nobody expected it.

Taf 20-10-2021 13:00

Which month's CPI is used to set Benefits and Pension increases?

Or is Rishi about to drop them back to "austerity" levels of 0%

Sephiroth 20-10-2021 13:35

If ever state pensioners needed the triple lock, it's now.

1andrew1 21-10-2021 23:40

How it was predicted:
Quote:

22.07.17 Brexit will REDUCE food, wine and clothes costs by 20% - Rees-Mogg fires back at Remainers
EXCLUSIVE: Leaving the European Union (EU) will reduce people’s food, wine and clothes bills by up to 20 per cent, said Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...er-20-per-cent

How it's going:
Quote:

21.10.21 Interest rate hike ‘inevitable’ as inflation poised to cripple UK economy
INTEREST rate hikes are now almost an inevitability - and they could spell disaster for the British economy.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/15...ple-UK-economy

Quote:

21.10.21 UK inflation could go "above five per cent" this winter says new BoE chief economist
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...cid=uxbndlbing

RichardCoulter 21-10-2021 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36098192)
Which month's CPI is used to set Benefits and Pension increases?

Or is Rishi about to drop them back to "austerity" levels of 0%

AFAIK this month will set the uprating for next April.

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36098195)
If ever state pensioners needed the triple lock, it's now.

..however, the triple lock has been suspended for pensioners, so benefits might again be frozen or uprated below inflation.