Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Virgin : The future of virgin mobile... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710492)

Hugh 16-02-2022 12:58

Re: The future of virgin mobile...

Because a B2B Contract is completely different to a B2C Contract - consumers tend not to have their senior managers and lawyers checking the contracts out before signing, and there’s very little likelihood of consumers getting the Supplier to amend the contract.

But you knew that already…

RichardCoulter 16-02-2022 17:33

Exactly and this suits big business just fine.

Hugh 16-02-2022 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36113557)
Exactly and this suits big business just fine.

When you were involved in your business, did you negotiate individual contracts with your consumer customers?

punkrock101 20-02-2022 21:48

They will shut it down as I can't see O2 wanting to hold onto the Virgin branding to be honest I think they will get rid of it as its a terrible brand compared to them, I was with virgin mobile years ago when it was a joint venture between Virgin & T-Mobile they were actually brilliant... fast forward to 2006 when NTL got their grubby hands on it went down hill poor customer service and general rip off.

RichardCoulter 21-02-2022 00:07

Exactly, that's why I left. I'm surprised that Virgin allow their brand to be tarnished like this.

Pierre 21-02-2022 11:34

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkrock101 (Post 36113999)
They will shut it down as I can't see O2 wanting to hold onto the Virgin branding to be honest I think they will get rid of it as its a terrible brand compared to them

The company currently has a dual brand (as per the attached). Both O2 and Virgin are powerful brands. It's unlikely that they'll choose one over the other.

I would expect a new identity to be formulated in the fullness of time.

Quote:

I was with virgin mobile years ago when it was a joint venture between Virgin & T-Mobile they were actually brilliant
It was not a joint venture, VMO2, is a joint venture between Liberty Global and Telefonica whihc both own 50% of VMO2. Virgin Mobile pre 2006 was a thin MVNO that used T-Mobile's RAN and back office. It was basically just a re-badged T-Mobile service.

Quote:

fast forward to 2006 when NTL got their grubby hands on it went down hill poor customer service and general rip off.
Virgin Mobile towards the end of the EE contract and into the Vodafone Contract transitioned from a Thin MVNO to a Thick MVNO where they only utilised the Mobile operators RAN and everything else (back office, core network, etc) was VM.

VMO2 have already advised that they are ending the MVNO contract with Vodafone and therefore Virgin Mobile will cease to be.

Paul 21-02-2022 15:59

So .. If Virgin Mobile ceases to be, will all VM customers be moved to O2 ?

That will presumably mean a new SIM ?
What about phones locked to VM ? (If any exist these days).

Pierre 21-02-2022 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36114066)
So .. If Virgin Mobile ceases to be, will all VM customers be moved to O2 ?

That would be my expectation

Quote:

That will presumably mean a new SIM ?
I'm not from the Mobile world, it may. Virgin Mobile switched from the EE RAN to the Vodafone RAN without the need for a new SIM, as I understand, because all of the network behind it was VM.

If they can integrate current VM back office into O2's there may not be a need for a SIM switch, I don't know tbh.

Quote:

What about phones locked to VM ? (If any exist these days).
Again, don't know depends on how they do with the question before that.

ash45 22-02-2022 04:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36114035)
The company currently has a dual brand (as per the attached). Both O2 and Virgin are powerful brands. It's unlikely that they'll choose one over the other.

I would expect a new identity to be formulated in the fullness of time.

It was not a joint venture, VMO2, is a joint venture between Liberty Global and Telefonica whihc both own 50% of VMO2. Virgin Mobile pre 2006 was a thin MVNO that used T-Mobile's RAN and back office. It was basically just a re-badged T-Mobile service.

Virgin Mobile towards the end of the EE contract and into the Vodafone Contract transitioned from a Thin MVNO to a Thick MVNO where they only utilised the Mobile operators RAN and everything else (back office, core network, etc) was VM.

VMO2 have already advised that they are ending the MVNO contract with Vodafone and therefore Virgin Mobile will cease to be.

actually yes it was a joint venture between One2One and the Virgin Group, Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile) sold their share a few years later and then even later NTL:Telewest bought the network to gain access to the branding, just because it was/is an MVNO doesn't mean it cant be a joint venture.

Tesco Mobile is an MVNO but is 50% owned by VMO2

vincerooney 13-09-2022 00:33

has anyone who tried upgrading their virgin mobile tariff been told they're moving to o2?

BenMcr 13-09-2022 09:11

Virgin Mobile SIMs have moved to the O2 radio network for most customers and that migration should be finished soon.

For some upgrades when you speak to an agent you may now also be offered O2 options as well as the Virgin Mobile ones. If you accept an O2 deal you'd be moved over to being a 'full' O2 customer.

Otherwise you remain a Virgin Mobile customer, and nothing has been announced about that changing.

vm_tech 19-09-2022 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36134065)
Virgin Mobile SIMs have moved to the O2 radio network for most customers and that migration should be finished soon.

For some upgrades when you speak to an agent you may now also be offered O2 options as well as the Virgin Mobile ones. If you accept an O2 deal you'd be moved over to being a 'full' O2 customer.

Otherwise you remain a Virgin Mobile customer, and nothing has been announced about that changing.

Hello Ben,

Have you been getting reports of terrible performance since the migrations started?

When VM was on the EE network it was superb. Moved to the Vodafone network and it was not quite as good but pretty decent. Since moving to o2 it has been diabolical. 4G speeds of 0.25mbps are not uncommon. It basically renders the phone useless, struggle to even load plain text a lot of the time.

It’s been widely documented that o2 have capacity issues, I can’t believe between VM and o2 they thought shifting a further 3-4 million customers onto the network was a good idea!

Itshim 20-09-2022 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 36134466)
Hello Ben,

Have you been getting reports of terrible performance since the migrations started?

When VM was on the EE network it was superb. Moved to the Vodafone network and it was not quite as good but pretty decent. Since moving to o2 it has been diabolical. 4G speeds of 0.25mbps are not uncommon. It basically renders the phone useless, struggle to even load plain text a lot of the time.

It’s been widely documented that o2 have capacity issues, I can’t believe between VM and o2 they thought shifting a further 3-4 million customers onto the network was a good idea!

Silly question could just be were you are , had Vodafone and it was rubbish now have Tesco (o2) which is great :dunce:

jb66 20-09-2022 21:37

i was getting 600kb on 5G with o2 today!

djmagnifique 21-09-2022 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 36134595)
i was getting 600kb on 5G with o2 today!

Same here, however for me it was at the same time of a big Virgin TV and broadband outage in my area (Teesside).