Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Virgin : The future of virgin mobile... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710492)

vincerooney 23-10-2021 01:57

The future of virgin mobile...

Hey all,

So i'm seeing a lot of offers now and "rewards" for people who have both virgin media and o2 mobile. Yet nothing is mentioned about people who have virgin mobile. What do we think the reason is behind this?

Will virgin mobile customers be moved to o2 eventually? Will virgin mobile sell to another company and just take on o2? (just throwing ideas here). I'm new to virgin mobile and i'm sort of surprised how detached it seems from virgin media itself like they're almost two different companies.

So i'm intrigued as to what the future is now virgin media/o2 are starting to combine their services where does this leave virgin mobile?

Paul 23-10-2021 02:19

Re: The future of virgin mobile...

Its Virgin, so not a great suprise they dont reward their existing customers.

It seems to me they will abandon it - first stop taking new customers, then eventually move the others, if they havent alreay gone elsewhere themselves.

geogadget 29-10-2021 19:31

Didn’t Virgin Mobile sign a deal with Vodafone a few months before the merger with O2?

Presumably something will be done when the Vodafone contract ends. In the meantime heaven knows what they will do, depends if they see any value in Virgin Mobile or not..

Stuart 31-10-2021 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogadget (Post 36099271)
Didn’t Virgin Mobile sign a deal with Vodafone a few months before the merger with O2?

Presumably something will be done when the Vodafone contract ends. In the meantime heaven knows what they will do, depends if they see any value in Virgin Mobile or not..

Either way, it's a risky move for Virgin. Start introducing major changes like that for a customer, and you'll find a lot will start looking at their options, and may look elsewhere.

vincerooney 01-11-2021 00:29

With PAYG Virgin Mobile closing in January maybe we'll hear something about virgin mobile contracts merging into o2 soon?

Pierre 01-11-2021 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogadget (Post 36099271)

I can only offer my opinion on this.

You are indeed correct VM did sign a five year deal with Vodafone in 2019. With services moving over to the Vodafone RAN in 2021. I don't know if the 5years runs from 2019 or 2021.

At the moment both Virgin and O2 are keeping their identities in the merger, so it is possible for Virgin Mobile to continue as a brand and move back on to the O2 RAN in 5 years.

Though I wouldn't expect that to happen, I believe in the intervening years, or at the end of the five, the company will rebrand again and lose the dual identity.

A which point all Mobile customers will be moved onto the same platform.

vincerooney 14-11-2021 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36099574)
I can only offer my opinion on this.

You are indeed correct VM did sign a five year deal with Vodafone in 2019. With services moving over to the Vodafone RAN in 2021. I don't know if the 5years runs from 2019 or 2021.

At the moment both Virgin and O2 are keeping their identities in the merger, so it is possible for Virgin Mobile to continue as a brand and move back on to the O2 RAN in 5 years.

Though I wouldn't expect that to happen, I believe in the intervening years, or at the end of the five, the company will rebrand again and lose the dual identity.

A which point all Mobile customers will be moved onto the same platform.

Could virgin mobile get out of their contract with vodafone by shutting virgin mobile down and moving everyone to o2? Or would that break the contract?

vincerooney 16-11-2021 01:13

so virgin media customers can now get o2 priority. its looking like virgin mobile is on its last legs....personally i hope its not soon. i get vodafone 5G in my area and o2 has no 5G in my area!

Itshim 16-11-2021 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36101408)
so virgin media customers can now get o2 priority. its looking like virgin mobile is on its last legs....personally i hope its not soon. i get vodafone 5G in my area and o2 has no 5G in my area!

Out of curiousity l took out a Vodafone PAYG phone ( still has credit ) and my Tesco monthly / phone nothing to do with them ( got from ao) in the same place middle of village ( suburb of Cardiff these days) no signal on Vodafone ,5 bars on Tesco ( ie O2 ) and I was standing under a Vodafone mast !!!! Had to walk a couple of hundred metres to get any sort of signal. Makes no sense :confused:

Paul 17-11-2021 00:28

Standing under a mast is the worst place to be.
The signal is designed to spread outwards, not downwards.

Itshim 17-11-2021 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36101544)

Stupid place to put then . In middle of village ,outside main shops ,close to bus stops . No signal for at least 5 mins walk before getting it.:p::p:

BenMcr 17-11-2021 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36101544)

Also unless you have exactly the same make and model of phone with two different SIMs, there is a whole other set of other variances to deal with.

Itshim 17-11-2021 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36101656)
Also unless you have exactly the same make and model of phone with two different SIMs, there is a whole other set of other variances to deal with.

Went out again ( walking the dogs:D) as stated two different phones, two different providers. Coverage everywhere with Tesco (O2) is five bars great reception, indoors and out . Vodafone only zero to two bars over a walk that is around 2 miles . As l had in the past problems getting texts out at all tried and failed to get one to the other phone either way . So how ever I look at it virgin / O2 is great and Vodafone is a waste to space. :monkey: took the bull by the horns swapped the card vodafone still rubbish. O2 worked well ok not as good as on my phone but that is 5g if that makes a difference?

007stuart 20-11-2021 17:35

I'm off to 02 from Virgin for cheaper monthly charge with more data and a free broadband speed increase to the next tier.

1701-e 22-11-2021 15:45

:)Just off the phone to VM and happy to increase data on all three sim cards for a price reduction in the black Friday deals. Happy to continue

Itshim 22-11-2021 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36102111)
:)Just off the phone to VM and happy to increase data on all three sim cards for a price reduction in the black Friday deals. Happy to continue

Guess people using O2 are with virgin and those using virgin are with Vodafone :erm:

Paul 22-11-2021 20:21

Existing Virgin Mobile customers are mostly still on EE (for 4G) or Vodaphone for 5G.
I believe new 4G customers go on Vodaphone now, and the rest will move to Vodaphone soon.

vincerooney 25-11-2021 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36102124)
Existing Virgin Mobile customers are mostly still on EE (for 4G) or Vodaphone for 5G.
I believe new 4G customers go on Vodaphone now, and the rest will move to Vodaphone soon.

The 5G in my area with o2 was awful so its definitely good to be with virgin mobile and vodafone. Not the strongest 5G signal but good enough for me!

TimeLord2018 13-02-2022 08:39

Virgin Media terminates landmark mobile phone deal, delivering another blow to Vodafone boss Nick Read
Quote:

The pair had agreed a five-year deal, running from January 2021, to launch 5G services for Virgin Mobile's three million customers.

The agreement ended a 20-year relationship with BT-owned EE.

But in a shock letter to bondholders, Virgin said 'notice has been given to cancel this agreement'.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...umps-deal.html

Itshim 13-02-2022 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36102307)
The 5G in my area with o2 was awful so its definitely good to be with virgin mobile and vodafone. Not the strongest 5G signal but good enough for me!

Horses for course's O2 is great for 5g here and Vodafone for me is rubbish . Good to see virgin still breaks contracts left right and centre :erm: wonder why anyone would trust any contact they commit too. :shocked:

Hugh 13-02-2022 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36113249)
Horses for course's O2 is great for 5g here and Vodafone for me is rubbish . Good to see virgin still breaks contracts left right and centre :erm: wonder why anyone would trust any contact they commit too. :shocked:

Most contracts have "break" clauses, allowing early termination, with notice, of a business relationship - this is completely different from unilaterally ending a contract.

Itshim 13-02-2022 15:26

Completely understand but virgin seem to have track record of doing it

Paul 13-02-2022 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36113251)
Completely understand but virgin seem to have track record of doing it

As does any business when they need to.

There is no reason now that VMO2 would need any agreement with vodaphone.

nodrogd 14-02-2022 11:20

The Vodafone termination has been coming for quite some time. It was hidden away in the Q2 2021 financial results that they were planning this last year:

(Scroll to the bottom of page 30 of the linked PDF):

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/wp-...rt-Q2-2021.pdf

Paul 14-02-2022 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36113267)
The Vodafone termination has been coming for quite some time. It was hidden away in the Q2 2021 financial results that they were planning this last year

For anyone interested, this is the relevant text ;

Quote:

In November 2019, we entered into a new 5-year MVNO deal with Vodafone that enabled the launch of 5G services for
our mobile customers in the U.K. in January 2021. Following the formation of the Joint Venture, notice has been given to
cancel this MVNO agreement

Itshim 14-02-2022 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36113256)
As does any business when they need to.

We have managed never to do it in over 175 years of trading . :angel: our word is our bond .:D only once did it happen to us and family legend is it that my great grandfather closed them down . Can find no record but the story has been past down . Mind you we were trading with Cuba a lot at the time, so not sure how "legal" the dealings were at that time :shocked:

Hugh 14-02-2022 19:06

But they haven’t broken a contract - they’ve used part of the contract to end the relationship.

Pierre 15-02-2022 09:36

Did anyone on here seriously think that when VM announced they were to merge with O2 that Virgin Mobile would be a going concern?

Ditching Virgin Mobile (or at the very least moving it - but I think they'll ditch it) was probably one of the biggest synergies and cost saving of the whole deal.

Itshim 15-02-2022 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36113250)
Most contracts have "break" clauses, allowing early termination, with notice, of a business relationship - this is completely different from unilaterally ending a contract.

Totally accept what you say. Thought could this be the answer to a question posed here a number for times , why hasn't this channel , app etc appeared on virgin :confused:

RichardCoulter 16-02-2022 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36113340)
Did anyone on here seriously think that when VM announced they were to merge with O2 that Virgin Mobile would be a going concern?

Ditching Virgin Mobile (or at the very least moving it - but I think they'll ditch it) was probably one of the biggest synergies and cost saving of the whole deal.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I ditched Virgin Mobile ages ago, though whether their customers have moved out of the frying pan into the fire I don't know.as I don't know what the CS is like for the replacement.

---------- Post added at 09:29 ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36113305)
But they haven’t broken a contract - they’ve used part of the contract to end the relationship.

True, but Virgin don't offer their customers the same option with their contracts. No get out clauses when it's them that stand to lose after people find out what they're like.

Hugh 16-02-2022 12:58

Because a B2B Contract is completely different to a B2C Contract - consumers tend not to have their senior managers and lawyers checking the contracts out before signing, and there’s very little likelihood of consumers getting the Supplier to amend the contract.

But you knew that already…

RichardCoulter 16-02-2022 17:33

Exactly and this suits big business just fine.

Hugh 16-02-2022 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36113557)
Exactly and this suits big business just fine.

When you were involved in your business, did you negotiate individual contracts with your consumer customers?

punkrock101 20-02-2022 21:48

They will shut it down as I can't see O2 wanting to hold onto the Virgin branding to be honest I think they will get rid of it as its a terrible brand compared to them, I was with virgin mobile years ago when it was a joint venture between Virgin & T-Mobile they were actually brilliant... fast forward to 2006 when NTL got their grubby hands on it went down hill poor customer service and general rip off.

RichardCoulter 21-02-2022 00:07

Exactly, that's why I left. I'm surprised that Virgin allow their brand to be tarnished like this.

Pierre 21-02-2022 11:34

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkrock101 (Post 36113999)
They will shut it down as I can't see O2 wanting to hold onto the Virgin branding to be honest I think they will get rid of it as its a terrible brand compared to them

The company currently has a dual brand (as per the attached). Both O2 and Virgin are powerful brands. It's unlikely that they'll choose one over the other.

I would expect a new identity to be formulated in the fullness of time.

Quote:

I was with virgin mobile years ago when it was a joint venture between Virgin & T-Mobile they were actually brilliant
It was not a joint venture, VMO2, is a joint venture between Liberty Global and Telefonica whihc both own 50% of VMO2. Virgin Mobile pre 2006 was a thin MVNO that used T-Mobile's RAN and back office. It was basically just a re-badged T-Mobile service.

Quote:

fast forward to 2006 when NTL got their grubby hands on it went down hill poor customer service and general rip off.
Virgin Mobile towards the end of the EE contract and into the Vodafone Contract transitioned from a Thin MVNO to a Thick MVNO where they only utilised the Mobile operators RAN and everything else (back office, core network, etc) was VM.

VMO2 have already advised that they are ending the MVNO contract with Vodafone and therefore Virgin Mobile will cease to be.

Paul 21-02-2022 15:59

So .. If Virgin Mobile ceases to be, will all VM customers be moved to O2 ?

That will presumably mean a new SIM ?
What about phones locked to VM ? (If any exist these days).

Pierre 21-02-2022 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36114066)
So .. If Virgin Mobile ceases to be, will all VM customers be moved to O2 ?

That would be my expectation

Quote:

That will presumably mean a new SIM ?
I'm not from the Mobile world, it may. Virgin Mobile switched from the EE RAN to the Vodafone RAN without the need for a new SIM, as I understand, because all of the network behind it was VM.

If they can integrate current VM back office into O2's there may not be a need for a SIM switch, I don't know tbh.

Quote:

What about phones locked to VM ? (If any exist these days).
Again, don't know depends on how they do with the question before that.

ash45 22-02-2022 04:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36114035)
The company currently has a dual brand (as per the attached). Both O2 and Virgin are powerful brands. It's unlikely that they'll choose one over the other.

I would expect a new identity to be formulated in the fullness of time.

It was not a joint venture, VMO2, is a joint venture between Liberty Global and Telefonica whihc both own 50% of VMO2. Virgin Mobile pre 2006 was a thin MVNO that used T-Mobile's RAN and back office. It was basically just a re-badged T-Mobile service.

Virgin Mobile towards the end of the EE contract and into the Vodafone Contract transitioned from a Thin MVNO to a Thick MVNO where they only utilised the Mobile operators RAN and everything else (back office, core network, etc) was VM.

VMO2 have already advised that they are ending the MVNO contract with Vodafone and therefore Virgin Mobile will cease to be.

actually yes it was a joint venture between One2One and the Virgin Group, Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile) sold their share a few years later and then even later NTL:Telewest bought the network to gain access to the branding, just because it was/is an MVNO doesn't mean it cant be a joint venture.

Tesco Mobile is an MVNO but is 50% owned by VMO2

vincerooney 13-09-2022 00:33

has anyone who tried upgrading their virgin mobile tariff been told they're moving to o2?

BenMcr 13-09-2022 09:11

Virgin Mobile SIMs have moved to the O2 radio network for most customers and that migration should be finished soon.

For some upgrades when you speak to an agent you may now also be offered O2 options as well as the Virgin Mobile ones. If you accept an O2 deal you'd be moved over to being a 'full' O2 customer.

Otherwise you remain a Virgin Mobile customer, and nothing has been announced about that changing.

vm_tech 19-09-2022 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36134065)
Virgin Mobile SIMs have moved to the O2 radio network for most customers and that migration should be finished soon.

For some upgrades when you speak to an agent you may now also be offered O2 options as well as the Virgin Mobile ones. If you accept an O2 deal you'd be moved over to being a 'full' O2 customer.

Otherwise you remain a Virgin Mobile customer, and nothing has been announced about that changing.

Hello Ben,

Have you been getting reports of terrible performance since the migrations started?

When VM was on the EE network it was superb. Moved to the Vodafone network and it was not quite as good but pretty decent. Since moving to o2 it has been diabolical. 4G speeds of 0.25mbps are not uncommon. It basically renders the phone useless, struggle to even load plain text a lot of the time.

It’s been widely documented that o2 have capacity issues, I can’t believe between VM and o2 they thought shifting a further 3-4 million customers onto the network was a good idea!

Itshim 20-09-2022 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 36134466)
Hello Ben,

Have you been getting reports of terrible performance since the migrations started?

When VM was on the EE network it was superb. Moved to the Vodafone network and it was not quite as good but pretty decent. Since moving to o2 it has been diabolical. 4G speeds of 0.25mbps are not uncommon. It basically renders the phone useless, struggle to even load plain text a lot of the time.

It’s been widely documented that o2 have capacity issues, I can’t believe between VM and o2 they thought shifting a further 3-4 million customers onto the network was a good idea!

Silly question could just be were you are , had Vodafone and it was rubbish now have Tesco (o2) which is great :dunce:

jb66 20-09-2022 21:37

i was getting 600kb on 5G with o2 today!

djmagnifique 21-09-2022 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 36134595)
i was getting 600kb on 5G with o2 today!

Same here, however for me it was at the same time of a big Virgin TV and broadband outage in my area (Teesside).

vm_tech 21-09-2022 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36134513)
Silly question could just be were you are , had Vodafone and it was rubbish now have Tesco (o2) which is great :dunce:

I travel around a fair bit for work, and admittedly there are some places it seems alright. But there seem to be a lot more worse areas than good. Speaking to a few others on Virgin Mobile, and they are seeing similar issues.

I live in a relatively big city, and I was in the centre a few days ago, and it was in useable. A message over iMessage took a good 15 mins to send even though I had signal and also 4G.

A few weeks ago I was sat in one spot, and it was constantly changing between 5G,4G and 3G.

Also seems to connect to 3G an awful lot, which was very rare whilst using the EE and Vodafone networks.

Certainly seems to me there are serious widespread issues with the o2 network. In typical VM fashion I can’t see them admitting to any issues though!

Itshim 22-09-2022 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 36134666)
I travel around a fair bit for work, and admittedly there are some places it seems alright. But there seem to be a lot more worse areas than good. Speaking to a few others on Virgin Mobile, and they are seeing similar issues.

I live in a relatively big city, and I was in the centre a few days ago, and it was in useable. A message over iMessage took a good 15 mins to send even though I had signal and also 4G.

A few weeks ago I was sat in one spot, and it was constantly changing between 5G,4G and 3G.

Also seems to connect to 3G an awful lot, which was very rare whilst using the EE and Vodafone networks.

Certainly seems to me there are serious widespread issues with the o2 network. In typical VM fashion I can’t see them admitting to any issues though!

In North Cardiff , can't really claim to move around the country that much . Have a different SIM when in France or states. Still have PAYG on old phone with Vodafone and it's rubbish just tried them 5 bars Tesco * none Vodafone , * guess it makes no difference that it's Tesco and not Virgin as both O2 or is that incorrect :confused: