Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Labour MP Geraint Davies suspended over serious allegations of unacceptable behaviour (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711939)

1andrew1 01-06-2023 10:25

Labour MP Geraint Davies suspended over serious allegations of unacceptable behaviour

Quote:

Labour MP Geraint Davies has been "administratively suspended" from the party pending an investigation into reports of "incredibly serious allegations of completely unacceptable behaviour".

Allegations regarding the 63-year-old came to light in a report by Politico published on Thursday.

Shadow immigration minister Stephen Kinnock told Sky News: "I would really urge the women who've been affected by this to come forward with formal complaints because if something untoward has taken place, we need them to formally make that complaint so that the whole thing can be investigated in an independent and an efficient and confidential way, based on treating their complaints very, very seriously.

"And I do hope that that will happen.

"My understanding is that no formal complaint has yet been made, and it's therefore difficult to move things on."

Mr Davies was first elected as an MP in 1997, but was out of parliament between 2005 and 2010. He now represents Swansea West.
https://news.sky.com/story/labour-mp...viour-12894106

GrimUpNorth 01-06-2023 12:01

Re: Labour MP Geraint Davies suspended over serious allegations of unacceptable behav

Let's hope any allegations are investigated quickly and properly and if it's found he's done anything wrong then he should be kicked out of the party and deselected at the next election, unless he does the decent thing and triggers a by-election (and doesn't stand again).

Hugh 01-06-2023 12:14

Re: Labour MP Geraint Davies suspended over serious allegations of unacceptable behav

Agreed

1andrew1 01-06-2023 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36153120)
Let's hope any allegations are investigated quickly and properly and if it's found he's done anything wrong then he should be kicked out of the party and deselected at the next election, unless he does the decent thing and triggers a by-election (and doesn't stand again).

Totally agree.

It's disappointing to read of such behaviour in 2023.

denphone 01-06-2023 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36153122)
Totally agree.

Ditto.

ianch99 01-06-2023 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36153120)

Agreed and if appropriate, prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Ms NTL 01-06-2023 14:36

Quote:

"My understanding is that no formal complaint has yet been made, and it's therefore difficult to move things on."

Ms NTL 01-06-2023 16:52

Journalism in this country has gone down the drain...

Quote:

The claims were backed up by a Labour peer from the House of Lords, who saw him on the terrace with young women, and said there was always talk of him "favouring Eastern Europeans".

ianch99 01-06-2023 17:14

What is interesting but not surprising is that there is a also a Tory MP who has actually been arrested but is not "allowed to be named":

Police seek fifth bail extension for Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape a year ago

Quote:

Police are seeking another extension to the bail of a Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape more than a year ago, the Met confirmed on Monday.

The politician, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was detained by officers in May 2022 over allegations of indecent assault, sexual assault, rape, abuse of position of trust and misconduct in public office.

He has since been bailed four times and officers said they are now seeking a fifth extension.

The complaint, first made in January 2020, relates to alleged sexual offences committed in London between 2002 and 2009.

OLD BOY 01-06-2023 17:16

Quote:

Totally agree.

Are you serious, Andrew? This shouldn’t surprise anyone. Women have been complaining about this unwanted kind of behaviour ever since they got a voice. It has never gone away.

It’s endemic amongst men I’m afraid, and as they say Parliament is representative as a microcosm of the whole country, we can expect to see this problem from members of all parties.

Sad, but true.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36153151)
What is interesting but not surprising is that there is a also a Tory MP who has actually been arrested but is not "allowed to be named":

Police seek fifth bail extension for Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape a year ago

Nice to see you intervening in the interests of political balance, Ian! :D

ianch99 01-06-2023 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36153152)
Nice to see you intervening in the interests of political balance, Ian! :D

Why thank you. I am always balanced :D

OLD BOY 01-06-2023 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36153155)
Why thank you. I am always balanced :D

My compliments, and of course you are always balanced. It does, of course depend where you put your pivot point! ;)

1andrew1 01-06-2023 21:01

Quote:

Totally agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36153152)
Are you serious, Andrew? This shouldn’t surprise anyone. Women have been complaining about this unwanted kind of behaviour ever since they got a voice. It has never gone away.

It’s endemic amongst men I’m afraid, and as they say Parliament is representative as a microcosm of the whole country, we can expect to see this problem from members of all parties.

Sad, but true.

Disappointment and surprise are not the same.

TheDaddy 02-06-2023 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36153165)
Disappointment and surprise are not the same.

The surprise for me is that he's been suspended, I thought the accepted protocol in this situation is to promote them like with pincher

Dave42 02-06-2023 14:44

hopefully sacked and a by election if he proved guilty