Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Nintendo Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Nintendo Bigger than Sony - Official (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33616626)

Gareth 25-06-2007 23:11

Nintendo Bigger than Sony - Official

Wow... who would've thunked it?!?

source: http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2110771,00.html
Quote:

Nintendo struck a symbolic blow against Sony today as its market capitalisation shot past its long-time rival.

In trading in Japan on Monday, Nintendo shares hit an all-time high of 46,350 yen, valuing the group at 6.56 trillion yen (£26.5bn). This was enough to overtake Sony, whose shares were down over 1%, giving it a market capitalisation of 6.5 trillion yen.

Analysts said this underlined the differing fortunes of the two electronics giants. While Sony's shares have gained around 40% over the last 12 months, Nintendo's shares have more than doubled.

Damien 25-06-2007 23:24

Re: Nintendo Bigger than Sony - Official

Oh yeah!

JMcB 26-06-2007 09:14

Nice one Nintendo.... Up the Wii

punky 26-06-2007 09:19

Quite amazing considering Nintendo survives survives on consoles only, but Sony have TVs and DVD players etc.

fizgog 26-06-2007 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin (Post 34336851)
Quite amazing considering Nintendo survives survives on consoles only, but Sony have TVs and DVD players etc.

Don't forget Sony lose a fortune selling the PS3 to customers whereas Nintendo make a profit on every one it sells.

ginge51 26-06-2007 19:21

bad bussiness from sony yet again.

cimt 26-06-2007 19:47

I wonder if it is the same with Xbox 360, coz I think it was last yr when the Gamecube was outselling the normal Xbox.

christopherw 26-06-2007 20:39

****, why didn't I buy shares.

fizgog 26-06-2007 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 34337376)
I wonder if it is the same with Xbox 360, coz I think it was last yr when the Gamecube was outselling the normal Xbox.

Last I heard they had just started to break even on the 360.

After the poor sales with the PSP and PS3, I wonder if Sony will end up like Sega and just develop games for both Microsoft and Nintendo.

Wicked_and_Crazy 26-06-2007 21:18

Lets face it, Sony hasnt hardly come up with any new ideas. PS1, PS2, PS3, whats the difference other than processing power?

Tezcatlipoca 26-06-2007 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin (Post 34336851)

... and Sony Pictures Entertainment (Columbia TriStar etc. & a big chunk of MGM), Sony BMG Music, & more...

Damien 26-06-2007 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 34337376)

Maybe in Japan...The Gamecube bombed, it never did well. I think there was a week or two it was outselling the xbox back at the start but that soon stopped.

Gareth 26-06-2007 22:25

Shame really that it bombed cause it's a great little console... much like the Dreamcast was brilliant but doomed to fail.

fizgog 26-06-2007 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth (Post 34337537)
Shame really that it bombed cause it's a great little console... much like the Dreamcast was brilliant but doomed to fail.

The Dreamcast had some great games for it but god that controller was awful.

Damien 26-06-2007 22:52

The Dreamcast was because everyone was waiting for the PS2, also because they misunderstood how the market changed since the PS1. Ironically, Sony presumed people would wait for the PS3 in the same way failing to see how the market had changed since the xbox.

It is a mistake you see time and time again in the console industry and no console has held the top spot for more than 2 generations in a row. However, Nintendo took their beating with the Gamecube and came back strong with the Wii, this time with the idea that the market had changed to one they could not compete in anymore and so decided to explore a new market and its worked wonders for them.

Again, In another twist of fate it was Sonys PSP and its attempts to dominate the handheld market that forced the Nintendo to find a way to compete other than power which led to the DS, to have a console that played different. By accident it found a new market in areas nintendo did not envision when they created and they took this approach to the Wii.

Basically its gone full circle, the market is back where it was before the power spec race. To when gameplay was king :) Shame SEGA didnt adapt.