Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   VOIP (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711240)

Cheile48 11-08-2022 23:07

VOIP

Letter today from VM saying that VOIP will replace the existing phone line from 1 November. They will supply an adapter to connect our cordless phone to the Superhub, has anyone got details of the length of the cable they supply with the adapter?

ScottishSteve 11-08-2022 23:18

Re: VOIP

The adapter has a cable not even 5cm long which connects directly to your phone cable.
Instead of plugging your phone into the socket on the wall you plug it in to your adapter in your router.

Cheile48 12-08-2022 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36131028)
The adapter has a cable not even 5cm long which connects directly to your phone cable.
Instead of plugging your phone into the socket on the wall you plug it in to your adapter in your router.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought so I'll buy an extension cable.

Mr K 12-08-2022 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheile48 (Post 36131026)
Letter today from VM saying that VOIP will replace the existing phone line from 1 November. They will supply an adapter to connect our cordless phone to the Superhub, has anyone got details of the length of the cable they supply with the adapter?

It's definitely a downgrade. Having a phone line independent of your broadband and electricity supply is a much more robust service.

I haven't heard anything about it yet and my phone line is separate. Maybe that's because I have an SH2, if so I won't be changing it !

BenMcr 12-08-2022 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36131068)
Maybe that's because I have an SH2, if so I won't be changing it !

You'll be required to at some point to make a choice. If you keep the SH2 then your line will be disconnected and your bundle adjusted to be for your remaining services.

If you want to keep your line you'll need to upgrade to the Hub offered that includes the phone support.

Mr K 12-08-2022 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36131069)
You'll be required to at some point to make a choice. If you keep the SH2 then your line will be disconnected and your bundle adjusted to be for your remaining services.

If you want to keep your line you'll need to upgrade to the Hub offered that includes the phone support.

When will 'some point' though? ;)

Tbh I'm not a 'vulnerable', customer so not a big deal, but many are and depend on their landline. A voip service isn't as reliable.

VM should pay for any extra extensions and cables though. Have they mentioned that in 'the letter'?

BenMcr 12-08-2022 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36131072)

Between now and 2025.

Mr K 12-08-2022 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36131077)
Between now and 2025.

Ah well i expect VM will wait till the last moment before having to upgrade their customers equipment !

Paul 12-08-2022 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36131069)
your line will be disconnected and your bundle adjusted to be for your remaining services.

What if you have the required hub, but simply decide you dont want a VOIP line - will they just remove it from your contract ?

pip08456 12-08-2022 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36131083)
What if you have the required hub, but simply decide you dont want a VOIP line - will they just remove it from your contract ?

I should imagine so.

BenMcr 12-08-2022 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36131083)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36131085)
I should imagine so.

Anyone with a compatible Hub would be switched over automatically by default. Whether that's done via the adapter being sent out or by an engineer appointment is up to the customer after they receive the notification.

To remove the phone service would be a bundle change.

Customers Virgin Media know are vulnerable are contacted by agents rather than just having an email or postal communications.

Hom3r 16-10-2022 15:43

About a month ago I too received the adaptor and was told I will be told when to plug it in, and not to do yet as my phone wouldn't work.

Well on Wednesday I couldn't receive any calls, but could make them not good when you are waiting an important call about my dad.

On Thursday my phone was completely dean, so I called them on Friday, and they said I had been switched to VOIP.

So I ran some extension cable I had pre bought in anticipation of this, so now I'm back up and running.

My only concern in that if there is a power cut I'll have no landline, but hopefully the mobile will still work.

Dude111 16-10-2022 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K
It's definitely a downgrade.

Indeed..... The quality is crappy.....

We have digital phone from cable co. and it blows..... I would love having a land line again!

RichardCoulter 17-10-2022 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36137081)
About a month ago I too received the adaptor and was told I will be told when to plug it in, and not to do yet as my phone wouldn't work.

Well on Wednesday I couldn't receive any calls, but could make them not good when you are waiting an important call about my dad.

On Thursday my phone was completely dean, so I called them on Friday, and they said I had been switched to VOIP.

So I ran some extension cable I had pre bought in anticipation of this, so now I'm back up and running.

My only concern in that if there is a power cut I'll have no landline, but hopefully the mobile will still work.

Power cuts will be even more problematic if people are cut off for X number of hours a day because of the shortage of gas

The VOIP phone will also stop working if your broadband goes down.

---------- Post added at 01:05 ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36131072)

Tbh I'm not a 'vulnerable', customer so not a big deal, but many are and depend on their landline. A voip service isn't as reliable.

VM should pay for any extra extensions and cables though. Have they mentioned that in 'the letter'?

I am and i'm dreading this. I believe that vulnerable customers are given a back up battery in case of power cuts, but what's the use of this if it's the broadband that's down?

spiderplant 17-10-2022 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36137132)
I am and i'm dreading this. I believe that vulnerable customers are given a back up battery in case of power cuts, but what's the use of this if it's the broadband that's down?

It uses a mobile phone connection, not broadband.