Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Rising cost of living (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710461)

Hugh 18-10-2021 12:43

Re: Rising cost of living

Nah, it’s Biden’s fault…

Carth 18-10-2021 14:37

I can't believe Nostradamus hasn't got a mention, surely he hinted at it somewhere in his writings . .

nomadking 18-10-2021 15:24

Basically Green policies stuffing everything up. Cold winter(ie global warming strangely absent), Germany abandoning Nuclear Power and relying on Wind power instead, just in time for a long term lull in wind. All leading to a massive demand for Gas.

1andrew1 18-10-2021 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36097847)
Basically Green policies stuffing everything up. Cold winter(ie global warming strangely absent), Germany abandoning Nuclear Power and relying on Wind power instead, just in time for a long term lull in wind. All leading to a massive demand for Gas.

I think Germany's gone more from nuclear to coal and gas.

On the inflation front, more cheery news, traders are betting on the Bank of England raising interest rates next month.

Carth 18-10-2021 15:39

Just received my letter stating I'll be getting the £200 winter fuel payment.

Every little helps :tu:

Mad Max 18-10-2021 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36097850)

I should get mine soon too.....:)

Hugh 18-10-2021 15:42

I’m too young…

(by just over a year)

papa smurf 18-10-2021 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36097852)
I’m too young…

(by just over a year)

Getting old takes a lot longer than it used to.

Carth 18-10-2021 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36097858)
Getting old takes a lot longer than it used to.

And when you get there, other things seem to take much longer than they used to :D

Mad Max 18-10-2021 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36097859)
And when you get there, other things seem to take much longer than they used to :D

:Yikes:

nomadking 18-10-2021 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36097848)
I think Germany's gone more from nuclear to coal and gas.

On the inflation front, more cheery news, traders are betting on the Bank of England raising interest rates next month.

They are moving away from coal as well. They relied on wind power with gas as a backup.
Looking at the energy capacity figures, in theory they should be able to do without coal and nuclear. Solar and Wind is just not that reliable to be able to rely on it, so you have to backup plants as well.

TheDaddy 18-10-2021 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097719)
Quote:
Kwarteng, whose portfolio includes energy, shared a briefing which said that “for the late winter period from January to February 2022, the most likely scenario is for an unsettled period of wet, windy and mild spells”.

The Met Office’s published longer-range forecast — used for contingency planning — only covers the next three months. It says that this period is “significantly more likely than normal to be mild”, although cold spells were possible, especially during November and December.

—————-

I would add January and February to that list!

Finally the government has a plan, Krazy Kwarteng is praying for a mild winter, you couldn't make this shower up

OLD BOY 18-10-2021 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097719)
Quote:
Kwarteng, whose portfolio includes energy, shared a briefing which said that “for the late winter period from January to February 2022, the most likely scenario is for an unsettled period of wet, windy and mild spells”.

The Met Office’s published longer-range forecast — used for contingency planning — only covers the next three months. It says that this period is “significantly more likely than normal to be mild”, although cold spells were possible, especially during November and December.

—————-

I would add January and February to that list!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36097875)
Finally the government has a plan, Krazy Kwarteng is praying for a mild winter, you couldn't make this shower up

This is what happens when you listen to people like Greta without engaging brain.

1andrew1 18-10-2021 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36097874)
They are moving away from coal as well. They relied on wind power with gas as a backup.
Looking at the energy capacity figures, in theory they should be able to do without coal and nuclear. Solar and Wind is just not that reliable to be able to rely on it, so you have to backup plants as well.

Key thing with wind and solar is storage and we've not invested in that.

Mr K 18-10-2021 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36097847)
Basically Green policies stuffing everything up. .

I've just had a nice week on the N Yorks Coast. However a lot of it seems to be crumbling into the sea, with coastal paths diverted ever inland. It's us and recent generations that have screwed things up. We've now got to pay the price.

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36097850)

Don't worry the Govt, will be claiming most of it back from you as VAT on your fuel bill ! 😉