Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Security & Virus Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Any point in using VPN (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710672)

Itshim 16-12-2021 18:18

Any point in using VPN

Noticed that l have ' spare' VPN capacity . As l only need/ use on two m/c ' s what problems if any may it cause on a smartphone . As l don't use it for the internet , sorry look up prices sometimes when shopping but that's it.

Paul 16-12-2021 18:21

Re: Any point in using VPN

I have never found much real need to use a VPN (except to connect to work, but thats a little different).

Jaymoss 16-12-2021 19:01

My Adblocker runs a vpn on my phone to aid in blocking ads

mrmistoffelees 16-12-2021 19:25

I guess it depends, unless I’m on a trusted network (work or home) then I use ASUS’s InstantGuard to connect back to my home connection.

Work laptops etc use their own

Hugh 16-12-2021 19:38

I use a VPN (SurfShark) to watch TV programmes on US TV Networks (or when I go on holiday abroad, to watch U.K. TV programmes), and on my phone/iPad if I’m out and using public WiFi.

Itshim 16-12-2021 19:42

Sorry my question isn't clear have VPN , and use all the time on pc and tablet . I am a" just because you are paranoid it's don't mean they are not after you " type of person . What I was hoping that someone could confirm that putting on my smartphone will not cause problems on the phone

Hugh 16-12-2021 20:06

Doesn’t cause any issues on my Android phone (OnePlus7 Pro).

Mr K 16-12-2021 22:38

If you want to watch an away Football League game on a Saturday afternoon, it's helpful to be in Amsterdam for a couple of hours ;)

Itshim 17-12-2021 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36105998)
Doesn’t cause any issues on my Android phone (OnePlus7 Pro).

Thank you it was my guess .

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36106044)
If you want to watch an away Football League game on a Saturday afternoon, it's helpful to be in Amsterdam for a couple of hours ;)

Sorry :confused:

Mr K 17-12-2021 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36106128)

Sorry :confused:

You can stream EFL games on a Saturday afternoon, as long as you aren't in the UK. Having a VPN enables you to not be in the UK - or at least appear that way.

You still pay, and the clubs still get the money ie. an official, not illegal stream. Fair enough that they want fans to go to games, which I do. But for far away games, which i'd have never travelled to, its a win win for you and the club. (unless you lose of course! ;) )

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36105971)
I have never found much real need to use a VPN (except to connect to work, but thats a little different).

VPNs are old hat for homeworking. We use ZScaler now, much more reliable and faster speeds

Paul 18-12-2021 04:06

ZScaler is a secure proxy service, rather than a VPN.
Its still just a secure connection between you and work.

That doesnt make VPNs "old hat", using proxy services is just as old.
Also, our VPN is prefectly reliable and fast (its never failed in 6+ years).

Not that we (as users) have any control over such things anyway, we use whats provided.

alanbjames 18-12-2021 05:52

I use it to watch US version of Netflix. I have ExpressVPN.