Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Sky Glass TV (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710438)

Joedm45 08-10-2021 13:27

Re: Bye bye Virgin Media?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36096473)
Tbf it's already in the open lol their iptv service lot of testing going on now so shouldn't be long before vm broadband customers can get it, then afterwards it'll be available to anyone with decent broadband (25mbs) is what they recommend although for sd 4mbs will be plenty.

Dammit, there's me hoping they were relaunching the Telly Tablet :D:D:D

Legendkiller2k 08-10-2021 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 36096534)

We pretend that don't exist lol, mind you i saw one in a local cash converters the other day for £99 lol.

Mad Max 08-10-2021 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 36096534)

Be better with Telly Tubbies..:D

OLD BOY 08-10-2021 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 36096369)
It's certainly an interesting proposition.

You're not locked into a 4 year contract for the TV service, but it's the term of the loan to cover the physical TV you're buying. It looks like there is a 2 year term and an option to pay outright.

The TV contract looks to be 31 days, however it's worth noting that there are only "up to 140 channels" available, with no indication which channels aside from the Sky portfolio. So whilst the monthly pricing seems quite reasonable, you're getting less for your money. But to be expected on a monthly contract.

Dolby Atmos and HDR look to require an extra £5 spend per month and there was some mention of ad skipping being included for free for the first 12 months, then £5 a month there after. But wasn't sure to what services the ad skipping would apply to - maybe recordings?

Sources

What you are locked into is Sky. Glass doesn’t operate with any other provider - if you cancel Sky, you will only be able to receive terrestrial TV, as long as you are connected to an aerial.

You will only get 140 channels on Glass because as I understand it, you will only be able to receive HD and UHD channels.

This TV is OK for Sky fanatics who will never cancel their Sky subscription, but for those who want to keep their options open - beware!

heero_yuy 08-10-2021 17:37

Seems to me that with the price of these TV's you'd be better off buying a top notch Japanese built smart TV and a separate STB than having some cheaply built Chinese POS.

ozsat 08-10-2021 17:48

After discounting the +1 channels - it seems a lot of channels will not be available.

It may be a similar line-up to the SkyGO service which has quite a few missing - perhaps no streaming contract with the provder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36096563)
You will only get 140 channels on Glass because as I understand it, you will only be able to receive HD and UHD channels.

Inactive Digital 08-10-2021 17:49

Quote:

What you are locked into is Sky. Glass doesn’t operate with any other provider - if you cancel Sky, you will only be able to receive terrestrial TV, as long as you are connected to an aerial.

This TV is OK for Sky fanatics who will never cancel their Sky subscription, but for those who want to keep their options open - beware!

I think the level of functionality that is disabled if you cancel your subscription needs clarifying by Sky. I don't understand how buyers can be prevented from using Glass with another provider (eg VM) unless the HDMI inputs are disabled.

nomadking 08-10-2021 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36096575)
I think the level of functionality that is disabled if you cancel your subscription needs clarifying by Sky. I don't understand how buyers can be prevented from using Glass with another provider (eg VM) unless the HDMI inputs are disabled.

Not sure they would do that as there are simple uses of the HDMI ports such as for a Bluray player and for gaming.

Inactive Digital 08-10-2021 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36096578)
Not sure they would do that as there are simple uses of the HDMI ports such as for a Bluray player and for gaming.

That's my thinking too.

Itshim 08-10-2021 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36096448)
It’s got an aerial socket (it’s freeview enabled), so there’s that as back-up.

That’s what we have on our Sony TV.

Surely most TV,: s have one ? :confused:

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36096443)
So I guess it is an ok way of getting a TV on interest free credit (although if you shop around Paypal Credit with some retailers do interest free)

I have to say again, Who made up the pricing? £1049 to buy the 65 inch model outright or pay £21 which is £1008 so buy it on terms save £40 and not see all the money go at once

Not seen any cost but could payments be 4 weekly ? ie 13 payments per year ? .

Hugh 08-10-2021 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36096583)
Surely most TV,: s have one ? :confused:

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Not seen any cost but could payments be 4 weekly ? ie 13 payments per year ? .

They also need to have a Freeview tuner - it wasn’t clear initially that Sky Glass had this.

MattGarner 10-10-2021 18:40

Quote:

The TV's do come with HDMI ports so I wouldn't say "locked in" - Assuming these ports would work for your DVD players, game consoles etc. So technically you could plug in a Virgin box if you really wanted to.

andreww342003 10-10-2021 20:30

Re: Sky Glass TV

Sky did previously release their own branded TV's back around 2003, they were simply cheap TV's with the Sky branding and only available from SkyBuy, Sky's interactive shop that was only available to Sky Digital. Those TVs could work with any provider, and I would be very surprised if this Sky Glass did not come with external HDMI for customers to connect their consoles or Blu-ray players, unless they intend to introduce some sort of Xbox Cloud or PlayStation Now app for that.

There were also Sky IDTV's from Panasonic and LG, the former also featured a Freeview tuner which Sky later abandoned, since these sets fell behind software upgrade releases. These TV's had built in internal Digibox's to compete with the ONdigital integrated TVs.

To be honest the lack of Sky Q support or any sort of satellite dish connectivity puts me off this, I don't like having everything going through one wire since if that fails your left with nothing, and I doubt this TV would be friendly to mobile data plans.
At least with Virgin the TV is somewhat separate from the broadband so if that goes down you can continue to watch the linear or recorded channels, just with no ondemand access. But with BT/TalkTalk TV since everything subscription related goes though the internet, your left with nothing but the Freeview channels. And there's the issue when trying to download a Steam game and watch a subscription channel at the same time, the TV service starts to break up since it cant handle the multicast channels whilst downloading, so I have to cap the Stream download to about 1 Mbps.
Basically we are not ready for IPTV just yet, at least for HD or 4K.

TimeLord2018 11-10-2021 10:28

Re: Sky Glass TV

List of broadcast channels available on Sky Glass at launch
http://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-...list-sky-glass

Jaymoss 11-10-2021 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36096568)
Seems to me that with the price of these TV's you'd be better off buying a top notch Japanese built smart TV and a separate STB than having some cheaply built Chinese POS.

I thought these were LG? Nothing wrong with LG TVs

But you are right for the price I would buy Hisense and save a few hundred quid

The next thing I buy by choice ie if my existing tv lasts is a short throw projector and one of those really nice none reflective screens but that is years off my pocket hahahaha