Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Internet Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Firefox new (sh) rework (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710045)

Itshim 25-05-2021 18:43

Firefox new (sh) rework

Comes on the 1st June I think . Anyway has anyone looked at it . understand you can .if so your thoughts ? At the moment ,guess I will stick with ddg

Paul 25-05-2021 23:09

Re: Firefox new (sh) rework

I can safely say I have no clue what you are talking about. :erm:

pip08456 25-05-2021 23:14

I must admit neither do I Paul.

What's a new (sh) rework?

What's ddg?

What do I need to understand?

Hom3r 26-05-2021 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36080779)
I must admit neither do I Paul.

What's a new (sh) rework?

What's ddg?

What do I need to understand?

ddg is a rapper i think

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

DDG is DuckDuckGo a web browser

Carth 26-05-2021 11:28

I thought DDG was yet another computer controlled device added to modern cars . . no idea what it does but probably expensive to replace :rolleyes:

cheekyangus 26-05-2021 11:56

I know there's a new user interface coming to Firefox soon, but I don't have a scooby what it's got to do with a search engine.

Jaymoss 26-05-2021 12:16

DuckDuckGo has its own app for Android and I assume IOS so the OP is I guess sticking with that rather than FireFox 89

---------- Post added at 12:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36080829)
I know there's a new user interface coming to Firefox soon, but I don't have a scooby what it's got to do with a search engine.

It is a lot more than a new interface. They have ripped loads out of it and simplified it in a hope to catch up a little with Chrome

Carth 26-05-2021 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36080831)
It is a lot more than a new interface. They have ripped loads out of it and simplified it in a hope to catch up a little with Chrome

What's so special about Chrome?

Itshim 26-05-2021 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36080831)
DuckDuckGo has its own app for Android and I assume IOS so the OP is I guess sticking with that rather than FireFox 89

---------- Post added at 12:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

Yes ddg is duck duck go a search engine . Had a message from monzilla say as l use ddg l need to look at the new Firefox .Have no idea what the rest was about. Have ff set to auto up date ,no sure if I should disable it. Was hoping someone here might have some knowledge about it .Guess clearly you don't . Never mind :D

Jaymoss 26-05-2021 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36080852)
What's so special about Chrome?

it has a lot of users that is the only thing and Mozilla want some of them

nomadking 26-05-2021 18:03

Info on the new "Proton" interface has been out there for a while(February), although I wasn't aware of it until now.

If you search for "firefox new interface", you will find reviews. Even one using DuckDuckGo.
Link

Looks like the search bar may be removed as that is where the option for DuckDuckGo currently is, but you can still enter the website address for the search engine.

Jaymoss 26-05-2021 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36080894)
Yes ddg is duck duck go a search engine . Had a message from monzilla say as l use ddg l need to look at the new Firefox .Have no idea what the rest was about. Have ff set to auto up date ,no sure if I should disable it. Was hoping someone here might have some knowledge about it .Guess clearly you don't . Never mind :D

I do know. I know DuckDuckGo is a search engine but clearly you do not know it also has its own browser. I wrongly assumed due to how you worded your initial post that you had opted to use the DDG Browser instead of its search engine in someone else's browser

There is plenty of info online about Firefox 89 and what is does

Here is a link to the DDG Browser APK just to show you I do know what I am talking about. Never mind :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_GB&gl=US

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36080899)
Info on the new "Proton" interface has been out there for a while(February), although I wasn't aware of it until now.

If you search for "firefox new interface", you will find reviews. Even one using DuckDuckGo.
Link

Looks like the search bar may be removed as that is where the option for DuckDuckGo currently is, but you can still enter the website address for the search engine.

I imagine there will be a setting that allows you to select your search engine rather than in the drop down menu as it is now. Would be daft of them not make it easy seeing as the whole point of the rebuild is to make it easier to use

Just downloaded and tested the beta on Windows Sandbox and in that version the search engine settings are in the same place. It is just easier to get to ie the menu is a lot neater

Itshim 26-05-2021 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36080900)
I do know. I know DuckDuckGo is a search engine but clearly you do not know it also has its own browser. I wrongly assumed due to how you worded your initial post that you had opted to use the DDG Browser instead of its search engine in someone else's browser

There is plenty of info online about Firefox 89 and what is does

Here is a link to the DDG Browser APK just to show you I do know what I am talking about. Never mind :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_GB&gl=US

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

I imagine there will be a setting that allows you to select your search engine rather than in the drop down menu as it is now. Would be daft of them not make it easy seeing as the whole point of the rebuild is to make it easier to use

Just downloaded and tested the beta on Windows Sandbox and in that version the search engine settings are in the same place. It is just easier to get to ie the menu is a lot neater

looked at the site as directed message that it's not configured for my machine .

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36080899)

Link

Thanks for this .clear as mud ,sorry :confused:

nomadking 26-05-2021 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36080905)
looked at the site as directed message that it's not configured for my machine .

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Thanks for this .clear as mud ,sorry :confused:

what does (sh) in the thread title meant to refer to? You were the one with "clear as mud" info, which caused the confusion expressed by others.
I gave a link which uses DuckDuckGo as an example of the differences in UI, which seen to be mainly about clearing out the address bar. You may be able to add things as you can at the moment.
For me, currently ddg is an option for the default search engine in the search box. Never used it, so don't know any more than that.
Info about it all does seem to be out there, so you can check for yourself any potential pitfalls for your setup.

cheekyangus 26-05-2021 18:56

I was surprised when they said they were giving it a major overhaul as it doesn't seem that long since they ripped the previous innards out and replaced them with Quantum which sped up everything immensely. So I was assuming it was mostly a User Interface change rather than under pinnings.

Just noticed today they'd removed the Screenshot function from the "..." menu. Fortunately I discovered in a blog (not Mozilla's) that the function was hidden and a button for it could be added to the interface from the toolbar button settings.