Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Football : England women win Euro 2022 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711213)

denphone 31-07-2022 19:36

England women win Euro 2022

England Women wins Euro 2022.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/58890160

Truly wonderful.:D:D:cleader::cleader:

Julian 31-07-2022 19:48

Re: England women win Euro 2022

Can't believe how the BBC have been pushing this so much when the squad is almost completely devoid of any non-white players. :td:

Also the constant comparisons with the men's team has been pathetic and completely irrelevant.

Thankfully it's over.

Sorry Den not for me....

Mr K 31-07-2022 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36129981)
Can't believe how the BBC have been pushing this so much when the squad is almost completely devoid of any non-white players. :td:

Also the constant comparisons with the men's team has been pathetic and completely irrelevant.

Thankfully it's over.

Sorry Den not for me....

Killjoy.

Paul 31-07-2022 20:17

Quote:

Can't believe how the BBC have been pushing this so much when the squad is almost completely devoid of any non-white players.

So ?

I didnt know football teams had non white quotas now :dozey:

No doubt the BBC are pushing it for the usual woke related reasons.
I tried to watch some the other night, but the standard wasnt that good, and the screeching commentator soon drove me to the mute button.

Dont get me wrong, its nice that we won, and even better we beat Germany to do it, but I really have no interest in womens football. To me its no different or better than non league football, and I have no interest in that either.

Mr K 31-07-2022 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36129985)
So ?

I tried to watch some the other night, but the standard wasnt that good, and the screeching commentator soon drove me to the mute button.

Dont get me wrong, its nice that we won, and even better we beat Germany to do it, but I really have no interest in womens football. To me its no different or better than non league football, and I have no interest in that either.

Not even Notts County? ;)

Maggy 31-07-2022 20:21

Quote:

Thankfully it's over.

Sorry Den not for me....

What a sour puss.

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36129985)
So ?

Oh come on Paul.It's ENGLAND.:p:

Paul 31-07-2022 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36129986)
Not even Notts County? ;)

Nope. They are (well were, decades ago) our local rivals.

Damien 31-07-2022 21:17

Probably going to be a big boost for women's football domestically as well. The WSL has been getting more popular, Arsenal are moving more and more games to the Emirates Stadium for example, but this should help speed that process up.

Jaymoss 01-08-2022 00:27

One thing I did notice was how on the hole the women players are less likely to try and cheat than the men so that is a big big up from me

Jimmy-J 01-08-2022 01:55

All very good, now go home and get the tea on. ;)

GrimUpNorth 01-08-2022 09:00

I thought it was really good, sad it took until after we'd won to get a thread on here!

Did make me think of the Not The Nine O'clock New sketch about women's football but I'm not posting a link as it's not appropriate for a family website and society has moved on and we have different morals and values than we did back then. And the players wear something under their shirts these days so not even realistic any more!

Damien 01-08-2022 10:32

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62375750

Quote:

England's Euro 2022 final win over Germany was watched by a peak BBC One television audience of 17.4 million, making it the most-watched women's football game on UK television.

The 2-1 extra-time win is also the most-watched programme in the UK so far in 2022.

Halcyon 01-08-2022 11:53

Absolutely loved the final and when Germany equalised it was definately game on!

Russ 01-08-2022 14:55

I can get over the fact they’re English…but well done to the ladies.

There’s some debate about how the women’s game is different to the men’s but one to ing is certain, I saw a lot less diving, theatrical rolling around on the pitch and they seemed far more able than the men to stay on their feet during a tackle :tu:

Paul 01-08-2022 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 36130055)
I saw a lot less diving, theatrical rolling around on the pitch and they seemed far more able than the men to stay on their feet during a tackle :tu:

I wonder if that would still be the case if it ever got to the same level of popularity, and the same sums of money involved.

Having watched the highlights, it seems taking your shirt off and running around to celebrate a goal is still a thing. :erm: I wonder if she got booked for it.