Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   A Linksys BEFSR41 router problem. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25488)

Zest 11-03-2005 19:28

A Linksys BEFSR41 router problem.

I'm trying to set up my router (Linksys BEFSR41 Wire) with my ntl:modem (I still don't know the name of it, but its the grey one that lays on its belly).

The thing is, when I'm setting up the router using the CD it requires me to connect the modem to the router so it can find the internet. However, when i plug the modem cable into the internet slot, the light doesn't light up and the instillation CD cannot find the internet connection. The connection between the PC and the router seems to be fine (The light's on).

'wondering if anyone could help :)

setch 11-03-2005 19:39

Re: A Linksys BEFSR41 router problem.

You don't need to install any software for the Linksys router. Plug the ethernet cable from the NTL modem into the WAN port on the Linksys. Plug the cable from the PC NIC into the first port on the Linksys.

I think the config address for the router is 192.168.1.1, this will allow you to see if the router has picked up an IP from the modem. If it has not, then you may need to clone the MAC of the PC onto the router.

If it has picked up an IP, then you should also have an IP of 192.168.1.2 or something close assigned to your PC and you should be able to ping www.ntlworld.com

Hope that helps

Setch

MovedGoalPosts 11-03-2005 19:43

No specific ideas, since I have a STB. Presumably you have done the obvious, once plugged in, of switching everything, modem, router, PC off and rebooting in sequence?

Zest 11-03-2005 19:46

Yup I've done that. I'll go give it another go though.

punky 11-03-2005 19:50

Moved to computers & IT

Zest 11-03-2005 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by setch
I think the config address for the router is 192.168.1.1,

How would I use the config address? In internet explorer or elsewhere? :S

setch 11-03-2005 20:06

In your browser

HTTP://192.168.1.1

Look up the ID and password in the router manual

homealone 11-03-2005 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by setch
In your browser

HTTP://192.168.1.1

Look up the ID and password in the router manual

user = admin

password = admin

works for me ;)

Zest 11-03-2005 20:33

Hmm... I've tried doing the user and password above and its not letting me.. Wish i kept the goddam box. Any other suggestions?

Alan Waddington 11-03-2005 20:34

Actually:
user = blank (leave blank)
password = admin

setch 11-03-2005 20:35

Is it prompting you for the ID and Password? You do not need to enter the ID, leave that blank and just enter admin as the password.

Stephen 11-03-2005 20:52

I have the same router and I did not install the software for the modem or the router. just plugged in and it works.

homealone 11-03-2005 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zest
Hmm... I've tried doing the user and password above and its not letting me.. Wish i kept the goddam box. Any other suggestions?

both ways should work ;)

ok you said about lights on the router - if you have just the modem plugged into the WAN port of the router, what lights show & what are they doing, steady or flashing?

Alan Waddington 11-03-2005 21:01

You could try a hard reset on the router. Get a paperclip & poke into reset hole. You need to hold this down for 30 seconds !

PS. You aren't using a cross-over ethernet cable by mistake by any chance?

Also, make sure u haven't plugged into the Uplink Port on the router (if the model has one)

Zest 11-03-2005 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by homealone
both ways should work ;)

ok you said about lights on the router - if you have just the modem plugged into the WAN port of the router, what lights show & what are they doing, steady or flashing?

I'm guessing the WAN hole is the internet hole. When i plug the cable from the modem into the router, none of the lights do anything (apart from 1, which is connected to my computer. It flickers)

Quote:

Actually:
user = blank (leave blank)
password = admin
I've tried that and it also hasn't worked :(

EDIT: I'm using a crossover cable for the modem to the router. That's the only way i usually can get the internet from the modem unless i use a USB cable.