Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other ISPs Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Want ADSL?-Read on.... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=4697)

Neil 29-11-2003 09:13

Want ADSL?-Read on....

As you may know, a little while I decided enough was enough & decided to ditch my ntl BB service, & get ADSL-even though my 'service' was subsidised by ntl for helping to run .com, I decided I would rather pay for a decent service than get a shoddy one cheap.

I just wanted people to know just how easy & painless the switch can be, as I know a lot of people are worried about the 'difficulties' in switching BB providers.

So if you're thinking of ditching ntl BB, & want to get ADSL, read on & I'll show you just how easy it can be!

First of all, for ADSL you need a BT phone line. If you haven't got one (but did have as most ntl customers came from BT), then BT offer free reconnection, & all you have to do is call 0808 100 5152. I did just that & a very professional chap took me through the whole process in about 5 minutes (including confirming that the existing phone number could be kept) They take care of the whole phone line switch, & you won't even have to speak to ntl about it!) :p

They gave me an installation date/time (between 8 & 10.30am), & even said that if the engineer could do the job from 'outside' the house (I.E at the green box) & didn't need to come in that they would ring me on my mobile so I could then go to work knowing I didn't have to wait in (complete opposite of ntl)

The engineer arrived at 8.30 am, & activated the main socket, & also the extension, & left at about 9.30am, he was very professional in his manner, & also his appearance-job done. :)

So-now you've got your BT phone line (or already have one), what do you do now? You need to settle on a DSL provider. I went to ADSLGuide.org, & used their 'compare ISPs' link. I kind of knew the three main providers I was thinking of (Pipex/Zen/Nildram), as I had spoken to various friends/family that had DSL to get their opinions.

After mulling it over, I went for Pipex. So I went to their website & entered my phone number. It confirmed that DSL was available, & that I could order there & then online! :D

I did just that, & got an email back confirming my order, & telling me I would soon receive a reference number to track the status of my order. That mail arrived the next day, & I watched as it was handed to BT to do a physical check on the line for DSL compatibility, up to the point where I got a mail with an activation date. When I got this, I ordered my wireless DSL modem/router & waited for the day to come. :p

They said it would be activated by the end of the working day, & by Jove it was! I plugged in my router, entered the Pipex username/passwords they had sent me in the post (just as they had said they would in the original e-mail :) ), & away I went.

I personally cannot fault Pipex, their staff have been courteous, polite, professional, & most of all-knowledgeable.

So-if there's anyone out there who thinks that it's a nightmare to switch phone providers/BB providers-think again!

Below are all the links I think you will need for a hassle free switch-take the plunge, you won't regret it. :)

Below are the links you will need to get you going, good luck & may the force be with you!

1) Check ADSL availability in your area via the BT website by clicking here. (remember if you have an ntl phone then you have to check it via postcode & that is not as accurate as the BT number checker, but it will give you a very good idea)

2) If you can get ADSL, & want to switch to BT, then ring them for free on 0800 100 5152 & get the number ported back to BT.

3) Compare ADSL providers by going to ADSLGuide.

4) Once you have settled on a provider, sit back & relax in the knowledge that your days of crappy/unreliable transparent proxies, ****** poor email service/BS from tech support of "you'll need to reformat/you've got a virus/reinstall Windows/it's down to spyware/down to Kazaa" are on their way out!

It took 6 days from BT livening the phone line, to Pipex getting BT to activate it for DSL, & remember that as you have to give ntl one month's notice to ditch their shoddy 'service', you needn't be without BB at all-in fact, if you've got a spare PC/laptop-why not just connect it to the ntl connection for the remainder of your month & get your money's worth!? :p

Anyway-like I said, don't feel it's a painful process-it isn't. It can be done quickly, & painlessly, & if anyone wants any more help assistance in this area, feel free to drop me a PM or reply in this thread. :)

Over & out!

Winner of 3 recent ISP Awards-click here for more info----> http://www.solo.pipex.net/new-images...-120x115-2.gif

lemarsh 29-11-2003 10:31

Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

One thingg to just point out (as I was looking at doing the same).

Most providers who offer free modems are 'normally' not very good (looking at the stats) - e.g. Freeserve, BT Yahoo, Tiscali - and also the modems are normally USB ones.

This means that if you have a router serving a number of PCs, then this will not normally work (most take Ethernet, not USB - but some may).

There is a way that this will work, but involves going through the main pc, leaving it on etc.

Can I just add eclipse onto the recommendations....

Neil 29-11-2003 10:45

Good point 'lemarsh'

That's why I got a combined router/ADSL modem (wireless too!)

I got my (Netgear DG824M) router (together with a (again, Netgear) wireless ethernet 'bridge' (model ME101) for my XBOX too as a bundled package from www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk They were also very efficient in the whole ordering/tracking/delivering process.

Link to wireless router section: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/defa...pID=38&Alt=Yes

HTH.

DrAwesome 29-11-2003 10:50

There is also a charge if you upgrade or downgrade your service.. so choose carefully if you decide to make the switch

You'll need to pay the service regrade fee that PIPEX are charged by BT (£35 + VAT) so it's worth considering carefully whether you will need the service before you sign up.
Other changes of service are likely to require a full cease and reprovide. At present, the £35 + VAT charge only applies to the following PIPEX Xtreme service regrades: Solo/Solo2Go 500 to Solo 1000... Solo/Solo2Go 500 to Home Office 1000 and Home Office 500 to Home Office 1000

Steve H 29-11-2003 11:41

Followed the exact same path as you Neil :D Everything was smooth, from both BT & Pipex, everything arrived on time, The Username and Password both worked (Unlike a certain other company :rolleyes: ), and I cant fault the service :)

And as a added extra you arent stuck in a 12 month Contract !(though its £50 to cancel)

Tiptoes 29-11-2003 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Bordeaux
Ooh, I get it, we now have to guess who is Neil/Ben/Mick on the pipexwoe forum...Right?

--------------------
Neil
Administrator, nthellworld.co.uk
www.nthellworld.co.uk

-----------------

Not that neil felt any need to hide the fact when all said and done is it just you being troublesomed?

And from looking at the Installtion Issues section it woul dbe the first time Ive seen one empty...

Good luck Neil and well don Pipex I would say..

(From someone who has been aware of the quality of pipex product since 1994 when I first used the dial up service)

Xaccers 29-11-2003 12:12

*so jealous*

Moved from an ex-cwc BB (I've had great service) house to a non cabled one, thought not to worry, can get adsl, will go with pipex as they're one of the best.
Explained this to parents, made it clear WE ARE GOING WITH PIPEX
Parents phone up Sky to get that installed, get told they can have BT broadband, and decide to ignore my sound advice.
So BT Broad****e installed.
I quickly look into getting it transfered to Pipex before the first two weeks are up and we're locked in for a year.
Parents decide to wait a week "to make sure its working"
BT stall the move to Pipex and so we're stuck with a ****e service for a year
I'm not a happy bunny.

Bifta 29-11-2003 12:40

Apart from the extra expense, I don't see anything wrong with BT Broadband .. you're connecting to the same exchange to the same equipment as any other DSL provider .. oh wait, there is only 1 (unless they have LLU) .. BT.

Xaccers 29-11-2003 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bifta
Apart from the extra expense, I don't see anything wrong with BT Broadband

Poor customer service, no news servers (that I know of), smtp traffic restrictions...

Bifta 29-11-2003 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaccers
Poor customer service, no news servers (that I know of), smtp traffic restrictions...

At times Pipex's customer service is way beyond sh*te, example, 3 weeks to reply to an email (if they bother replying), staff that blatently lie through their teeth, refusing to acknowledge new payment methods, taking more than one subscription a month, totally cocking up upgrades, not being open out of normal office hours (no weekend cover). New's servers? Don't care for them, that's what I use news2me for and you can run your own SMTP server on a port of your choice.

erol 29-11-2003 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
If anyone is thinking of switching, & wants any other info, feel free to contact me, if you settle on Pipex-let me refer you & I get a free month's ADSL! :D

Er sorry to disapoint but no you don't, at least not right now.

http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/adsl/services/refer/

Paul 29-11-2003 19:15

Can I just ask why a thread on Pipex ADSL is in the NTL discussion forum ?

Florence 29-11-2003 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by pem
Can I just ask why a thread on Pipex ADSL is in the NTL discussion forum ?

Because Neil and Steve H have moved to pipex from NTL

Shaun 29-11-2003 20:11

I'm so grateful for all the info Neil, I'm going to call BT on Monday, I'm so fed up with Ntl, time to dump the lot I think. If I take Pipex I'll put you down as my referrer ;)

Simply Gray 29-11-2003 20:25

Ex-cwc and also thinking of moving from NTL. Fed up with email service, BB service and TV service. Does anyone know of a site that provides comparison between NTL and Sky/BT/Pipex solution, i.e. costs and service?

downquark1 29-11-2003 20:25

Great, we'll end up with a NTL forum with no NTL customers :p

DrAwesome 29-11-2003 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dellwear
I'm so grateful for all the info Neil, I'm going to call BT on Monday, I'm so fed up with Ntl, time to dump the lot I think. If I take Pipex I'll put you down as my referrer ;)

You can call these free phone numbers BT Customer Options Team 0800 800 880 or 0800 085 2786 (alternative numbers to 0808 100 5152) so you dont have to pay for the call to defect :)

If you wish to keep your existing NTL phone number ask whoever you speak to check with the Number Port people a few NTL phone numbers cannot be transfered.

Who owns the best looking adsl modem? :)

Paul 29-11-2003 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty

Nevermind - obviously the rules appear to have changed recently - like a thread I was reading earlier from someone with an NTL BB problem - Neil seemed more interesting in advising them how to jump ship rather than offering any NTL related help.

http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=4703

How times change ......

Shaun 29-11-2003 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pem
Nevermind - obviously the rules appear to have changed recently - like a thread I was reading earlier from someone with an NTL BB problem - Neil seemed more interesting in advising them how to jump ship rather than offering any NTL related help.

How times change ......

Can you blame him, after all they have done to ruin the other site! :rolleyes:

But you are right, times do change, and Ntl will prolly wake up soon and find no customers. As Mr Pratchett one wrote, there's "Interesting times ahead".

Hell Fighter 29-11-2003 23:32

I'm having my BT Line activated for 2 meg broadband in the next 10 days providing the line is up to scratch.

Hopefully the whole process will go okay :)

DrAwesome 30-11-2003 01:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by pem

How times change ......

There is no rule saying you must stick with NTL as a provider to help on this site.. Neil provided an option as a solution to the problem that vaiolator had experienced.

carlingman 30-11-2003 02:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by pem

How times change ......

Just to clarify a few things I believe Neil changed providers when he was still with NTL according to his first post saying he would rather pay for a connection that works rather than having a subsidised connection that is unreliable.

As for advertising to jump ship well maybe so he is allowed to suggest free speech here as he is not on the payroll for NTL anymore.

Things do change and this is classic example of that.

He obviously had the same views over at .com and was not allowed to speak his true feelings as he was being paid by them and had to appear to be offering help.

To me it smacks of double standards but at least here this site will not be silenced by NTL and all can speak their mind which is a positive move forward but there are still people around who will help rather than give the answer to jump ship.

Myself I would advise to move on to another provider but then again I am biest as i have been with Piepx for some time now and they rock.

As for the comments about their services mentioned elsewhere i myself am not too bothered about those as i have never had to contact them as their service has been faultless up to now.

:)

th'engineer 30-11-2003 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1
Great, we'll end up with a NTL forum with no NTL customers :p

Dont be daft NTL will keep bringing in more members by consistantly providing a crap service

Shaun 30-11-2003 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hell Fighter
I'm having my BT Line activated for 2 meg broadband in the next 10 days providing the line is up to scratch.

Hopefully the whole process will go okay :)

Just out of interest, who are you getting your BB through? I'm seriously looking at the Bulldog off peak one, luckily the exchange I'm likely to be connected to is Bulldog enabled (what ever that means :confused: ).

Bill Payer 30-11-2003 14:31

[QUOTE=pem]Can I just ask why a thread on Pipex ADSL is in the NTL discussion forum ?[/]
Quote:

If I change from NTL to SKY can I start a thread in "General ntl Discussion "?

th'engineer 30-11-2003 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Payer

Thought we had done that and agreed Sky is better:rolleyes:

rodd 30-11-2003 15:51

Demonstrating and spelling out, how easy and trouble-free it is for customers to change their services, could be one of the most effective ways to make ntl improve their services.

It is often the customers' inertia and apprehension of hassle that holds back customers from switching service providers. This is something that ntl relies upon, they hardly want all their customers knowing how easy it is, or they will all likely be changing.

Showing customers, the ease that a change can be made, will help customers to make the change, and will encourage ntl to improve. It will also make ntl take more notice of this site, as they seem to be of the opinion that we can be ignored.
To quote Ashg - we could close the site down, ride out a few weeks bad press and quietly ignore the many protest sites and alternative sites that would undoubtedly spring up. But that's actually the easy way out. End-quote.

This type of thread adds to the effective impact that this site will have on ntl, and strengthens our hand. We need more of it.

Neil 30-11-2003 18:26

Quote:

Just out of interest, who are you getting your BB through? I'm seriously looking at the Bulldog off peak one, luckily the exchange I'm likely to be connected to is Bulldog enabled (what ever that means :confused: ).

I did look @ Bulldog Dell, but I didn't/don't like the idea of being locked into a 12 month contract. :nono:

Foo Fighter 30-11-2003 18:41

How much does adsl cost now per month?

£10 for the line and about £20 for a 512k line?

Wan't extra upload speed really and dont need 1mb at the minute, ntl really need to make some new services and tiers.

Shaun 30-11-2003 18:44

Quote:

I did look @ Bulldog Dell, but I didn't/don't like the idea of being locked into a 12 month contrac. :nono:

I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do in January when my contract is up, I'm so desperate to get away from Ntl now, just really fed up with the whole thing, but (and you knew there would be one!) after speaking to BT, they want 74.99 GBP to install a new line.

Which is a bit of a bummer seeing as the line is here and we're connected to the exchange (the whole estate was done by BT and NTL when built 3 years ago) but they want 75 quid to switch it on.

On top of that any of the decent ISPs want about 50GBP activation and that's before I even consider buying a modem. I know if i want to pay a little more each month (and go for a not so good ISP) I can get the modem included but I really wanted an internal one (not really that much of a problem there not that expensive 30GBP ish).

Its all beginning to mount up, but saying that the bulldog off-peak 2Mbps tariff is really enticing (29.99GBP atm).

The 12 month contract isn;t too much of a worry for me, but the install fee is :rolleyes:

I guess I've got a little while to make my mind up, but I wonder if I can sweet talk BT into dropping the (non)installation charge?

Neil 30-11-2003 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Payer

Certainly-Just so long as you show everyone how easy it is to switch to Sky, & provide them with your own personal experience of the switch, & support it with the relevant links etc. :)

Pierre Bordeaux 30-11-2003 19:27

Quote:

Certainly-Just so long as you show everyone how easy it is to switch ...<snip>

So Neil, did your friend sort out

1. MSN keeping signing in & out
2. the IRC disconnecting every five minutes and
3. ftp disconnecting every five minutes?

Neil 30-11-2003 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Bordeaux
So Neil, did your friend sort out the IRC and ftp disconnecting every few minutes?

Haven't tried yet (not really a priority at the mo TBH)

michaelp 30-11-2003 19:33

I was with cwc / NTL for 6 years, a couple on BB. I just got fed up with them, and moved to adsl in June. It's all been absolutely fine, and I am now with plus net at £18.99 pcm (I don't use p2p or binaries), which is so much better than 150k NTL for £1 more. I save more than that on call costs. Cable TV was rubbish, and I've got freeview, which is fine, it works and formats my 16:9 tv picture correctly.
I initially tried adsl with Zen, who were great, but 'Plus.Net' is better value. It's nice to be able to change ISP though.
I kept my Linksys BEFSR41 router, and hooked the WAN port to a D-link-300G+ modem. Easy. I honestly have not regreted changing once, and just felt relief at leaving NTL. Shame really, as cable is good in theory, but obviously needs responsible provisioning.

poolking 30-11-2003 19:34

pem - this site isn't owned by NTL so the team can discuss whatever they like.

michaelp 30-11-2003 19:49

Quote:

I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do in January when my contract is up, I'm so desperate to get away from Ntl now, just really fed up with the whole thing, but (and you knew there would be one!) after speaking to BT, they want 74.99 GBP to install a new line.

TBH, I didn't care in the end if it was going to cost me, I just wanted out of NTL.

I got free re-connection to BT, and kept my number. Why can't you get free re-connection?

After NTL I only wanted a monthly contract (just in case), but got a free activation offer at Zen. So I bought my modem, and recently paid £35 for migration to plus net.

Plus Net are offering activation, filters and USB modem at the moment on a 1 year, £25pcm contract. The point with adsl is there are loads of ISP's, you find the deal that's right for you.

Shaun 30-11-2003 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelp
Why can't you get free re-connection?

Because were the only people that have ever lived in this house, and even though the line is installed, and we have the BT box on the wall they consider it a new connection and its £74.99, but I'm going to ring them and try and get them to do it for a reduced price, after all the cables and stuff are all in the house all they need to do is connect it up at the exchange.

DrAwesome 30-11-2003 23:29

Quote:

At a guess some BT exchanges although adsl upgraded can only handle a certain adsl speed (someone will nodoubt correct me if this is incorrect).

Trouble with Bulldog is that your limited to 512k during non peak time wouldnt be so bad if on the 2meg package you were limited to 1meg during peak times during the day and i think someone has already pointed out that you are tied to a 12 month contract (if you look hard enough you can find a 3month and lower contracts) so if you find the service not to your liking then you have a long wait till you can jump ship..

If your looking to switch from NTL to another provider spend abit of time looking for not so noticable things (as i mentioned before) if you decide to upgrade or downgrade your speed is there a cost.

It wasnt a problem for me to select an adsl service as i wanted a service that is faster/reliable than what i have with NTL... the two main problems for me were/are/was selecting which type of adsl modem (i have already a besfr41 ver 2 cable/dsl router) and i wanted an adsl ethernet modem that was compatible (perferably another linksys product?) but i discovered that linksys only sell wireless adsl modems which wasnt my preference. the other problem was keeping the cost down and try not to go over the £100 mark. You can spend ages/days shopping around for the right adsl hardware because some of the adsl hardware that isp's offer can be expensive and ugly. Once you have decided on which adsl modem you want then its time to hit the search engine again to find the cheapest price and what comes with the product (you might find that you need an extra filters because the adsl modem you have bought only has 1 filter or worse it doesnt ship with any filters at all)

switching providers is easy, making decissions is alot harder

Florence 30-11-2003 23:43

Dell don't go spending loads to get away from NTll. I have also contacted them but because they took my line down this year when they replaced all lines they also want the full payment to have the line replaced. Then I have been told I can only get 512K if I am lucky. Borderline with the distance from the exchange so I am sitting it out waiting for Telewest to show NTL how to run a profitable cable company. Or powerline interent becoming available here.

gt94sss2 01-12-2003 15:24

Quote:

Because were the only people that have ever lived in this house, and even though the line is installed, and we have the BT box on the wall they consider it a new connection and its £74.99, but I'm going to ring them and try and get them to do it for a reduced price, after all the cables and stuff are all in the house all they need to do is connect it up at the exchange.

Ah - that probably explains it..

You cannot get "free reconnection" as yours is not a "reconnection" - as you are the only people ever to have lived there.

On new estates/building projects etc, BT sometimes (with the agreement of the builders) install telephone lines for the residents while the houses are being built - its easier for both BT and the builders to do it then rather than afterwards.

However, BT do not charge the builders for this installation - instead they charge the 1st residents who decide to use BT (which would be you)

Hence, it sometimes looks like a reconnection, including to the people living there - until they realise that its a new house and no one has lived there before. The next issue is obviously why the builders didn't pay :)

btw BT are not allowed to deviate from their price list - OFTEL rules, so cannot "discount" it from you and not for everyone else

Shaun 01-12-2003 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by gt94sss2
Ah - that probably explains it..

You cannot get "free reconnection" as yours is not a "reconnection" - as you are the only people ever to have lived there.

On new estates/building projects etc, BT sometimes (with the agreement of the builders) install telephone lines for the residents while the houses are being built - its easier for both BT and the builders to do it then rather than afterwards.

However, BT do not charge the builders for this installation - instead they charge the 1st residents who decide to use BT (which would be you)

Hence, it sometimes looks like a reconnection, including to the people living there - until they realise that its a new house and no one has lived there before. The next issue is obviously why the builders didn't pay :)

btw BT are not allowed to deviate from their price list - OFTEL rules, so cannot "discount" it from you and not for everyone else

I will prolly have to pay it, but it seems a little hard to swallow when other in the same position get connected for free.
Does make me wonder if they want my business or not! Saying that I haven't actually phoned them yet, so I'll let you all know how I get on.

gt94sss2 01-12-2003 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrAwesome
At a guess some BT exchanges although adsl upgraded can only handle a certain adsl speed (someone will nodoubt correct me if this is incorrect).

Trouble with Bulldog is that your limited to 512k during non peak time wouldnt be so bad if on the 2meg package you were limited to 1meg during peak times during the day and i think someone has already pointed out that you are tied to a 12 month contract (if you look hard enough you can find a 3month and lower contracts) so if you find the service not to your liking then you have a long wait till you can jump ship..

hehe - consider yourself corrected

All BT ADSL exchanges can cope with the same speeds (as they all have the same equipment fitted) - it just that Bulldog use a different method of backhaul from some of the exchanges to its core network which allows to offer services like its Primetime "time of day" offering at those exchanges

I have to say I now use Bulldog Primetime 2000 and for less than £30 its very good value - even during the day when its supposed to be capped at 512K - I can get 600/650K

Also, if you do have problems that Bulldog can't resolve they appear to offer to release you from the contract.

If anyone does want to join Bulldog - would they mind contacting me privately so that I can refer them :)

Appartantly over 50% of Bulldog's new business currently comes from such referrals!

Paul 01-12-2003 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by poolking
pem - this site isn't owned by NTL so the team can discuss whatever they like.

poolking - I did not say anything about what they can or cannot discuss - I asked why a topic about Pipex adsl was in the NTL discussion forum. So far they haven't actually answered this question. :)

Mick 01-12-2003 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pem
poolking - I did not say anything about what they can or cannot discuss - I asked why a topic about Pipex adsl was in the NTL discussion forum. So far they haven't actually answered this question. :)

Neil was talking about leaving ntl, to go to Pipex, I think Neil was expressing his disappointment with ntl and has decided to move to pipex instead. Please pem, don't be concerned about where threads should or should not be thats our job. ;)

Paul 01-12-2003 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Plummer
Please pem, don't be concerned about where threads should or should not be thats our job. ;)

and last time I checked I was free to ask - or is this against the rules now ?

:Peace:

Mick 01-12-2003 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by pem

Not at all but now that we are having this discussion in this thread, we are taking the thread off-topic so... :Peaceman: ;)

Tiptoes 01-12-2003 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pem

Watch out Ive seen the plummbers toolbag.... Wouldnt want hi to get those spanners around my nuts...

Neil 01-12-2003 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by pem

The thread is here because it is aimed at ntl customers. It is here to show them how easy it is to ditch their BB 'service' & get ADSL.

The topic isn't about Pipex specifically, I only mentioned them in the post as they are who I chose as my DSL provider.

Mick 01-12-2003 18:53

Maybe this thread has highlighted a need for a new forum category?

How about

Alternatives to ntl ?

:D

Florence 01-12-2003 19:00

Quote:

How about

Alternatives to ntl ?

Gets my vote

DrAwesome 01-12-2003 19:23

Quote:

All BT ADSL exchanges can cope with the same speeds (as they all have the same equipment fitted) - it just that Bulldog use a different method of backhaul from some of the exchanges to its core network which allows to offer services like its Primetime "time of day" offering at those exchanges

I have to say I now use Bulldog Primetime 2000 and for less than £30 its very good value - even during the day when its supposed to be capped at 512K - I can get 600/650K

Also, if you do have problems that Bulldog can't resolve they appear to offer to release you from the contract.

If anyone does want to join Bulldog - would they mind contacting me privately so that I can refer them :)

Appartantly over 50% of Bulldog's new business currently comes from such referrals!

Thanks for the correction :)
Before i switched to the other side i could only check that the local BT exchange was adsl compatable by typing in my postcode This method is only 80-90% accurate (typing a phone number is more accurate) the reply i saw said :
"Good news! The checker indicates that ADSL Broadband is available in your area and that the preliminary check on your postcode suggests that you should be able to receive ADSL Broadband services at speeds from 512kilobits per second to 2Megabits per second downstream and 256kilobits per second upstream"
i guess when typing in a phone number will bring up something different?

I guess Bulldog must have a special arrangement with BT as no other adsl isp offer the same service packages.

There are some pitbull falls with bulldog that could be highlighted a deciding factor if Dr. Plummer decides to create a new forum catagory. :)

Quote:

How about

Alternatives to ntl ?

Good call

Neil 01-12-2003 19:57

Quote:

Gets my vote

Mine too! :D

Shaun 01-12-2003 20:07

Quote:

There are some pitbull falls with bulldog that could be highlighted a deciding factor if Dr. Plummer decides to create a new forum catagory. :)

Come on then before I set my heart on their 2000 off peak tariff :(

gt94sss2 01-12-2003 20:09

Quote:

Before i switched to the other side i could only check that the local BT exchange was adsl compatable by typing in my postcode This method is only 80-90% accurate (typing a phone number is more accurate) the reply i saw said :
"Good news! The checker indicates that ADSL Broadband is available in your area and that the preliminary check on your postcode suggests that you should be able to receive ADSL Broadband services at speeds from 512kilobits per second to 2Megabits per second downstream and 256kilobits per second upstream"
i guess when typing in a phone number will bring up something different?

Actually the message is almost identical!

Though it is more accurate as they can give you an idea of your own line rather than just a guess based on your postcode.

Quote:

I guess Bulldog must have a special arrangement with BT as no other adsl isp offer the same service packages.
Other ISP's could offer it if they wanted but Bulldog's business model is a bit different.

In their view they are mainly a "business" ISP - thus they have loads of spare bandwidth and can afford "cheap" off peak tariffs for residentail customers - thats the theory anyway.

Ignition 01-12-2003 20:11

Quote:

Bulldog offer the package you describe above, PrimeTime 2000, and an AllTime 2000 product, from over 400 enabled exchanges. From 70 or so in Central London they offer services for the home up to 6Mbit/s downstream and 400kbit/s upstream.

A number of ADSL ISPs offer similar 2Mbit services from a number of enabled exchanges using an alternative form of ADSL provisioning called 'DataStream' or Option 3 in BT speak, have a google :p

Quote:

LOL no sir, consider yourself corrected ;)

Not all BT exchanges are equipped equally, they have varying backhaul depending on demand and other factors. Typical backhaul is 4 - 8Mbit for 512k 50:1 users and 10Mbit for 20:1 business users, not sure what is provisioned for 1Mbit users, think they go on the same paths as 512k.

This only applies to IPStream not DataStream, which uses a dedicated ATM link from each exchange onto Bulldog's ATM network, rather than having the data go to BT's LAC (L2TP Access Concentrator) along with the other IPStream ISPs on an exchange and get seperated there to be fed to the individual ISPs.

Bulldog's DataStream links typically vary between 2Mbit and at most 10Mbit, which in some cases works rather poorly, when there are 2 or 3 2Mbit users on an exchange intent on anhialating the 2Mbit VP (Virtual Pipe/Path) and said path only delivers 1.8Mbit of actual usable data speeds get a bit hairy.

That is how Bulldog delivers their alternative services on 450 or so exchanges in the UK.

In the 70 or so (I think) in Central London they actually use all their own kit. People's copper phone lines come in and go to Bulldog's own DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) - the bit that combines all the incoming ADSL 'calls' into ATM for backhaul, and from their goes down Bulldog's Metronet. As Bulldog have complete control of this apart from the copper itself and the line card at BT they can offer whatever they want on it, DataStream and IPStream are limited by BT to 2048k/256k maximum. Usually LLU (Local Loop Unbundled or BT speak DSL Option 2) exchanges are on 100Mbit LAN Extension lines ;)

And that's it in a nutshell, albeit a large one, hope that helps *phew*

Without having to google once ;) *flex*

gt94sss2 01-12-2003 20:17

Quote:

A few people have problems getting decent speeds (its to do with the way Bulldog do their backhaul) but its exchange specific. (i.e. individual users using a lot more bandwidth then Bulldog thought they would)

As problems appear Bulldog increase capacity from that exchange and resolve them though a few people find their problems don't get fixed and then Bulldog seem to release them from their 12 month contracts.

Personally, as I said I find it excellent value - if you have any Bulldog specific questions - drop me a line just in case we bore everyone else here :)

gt94sss2 01-12-2003 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherN00b
Bulldog offer the package you describe above, PrimeTime 2000, and an AllTime 2000 product, from over 400 enabled exchanges. From 70 or so in Central London they offer services for the home up to 6Mbit/s downstream and 400kbit/s upstream.

A number of ADSL ISPs offer similar 2Mbit services from a number of enabled exchanges using an alternative form of ADSL provisioning called 'DataStream' or Option 3 in BT speak, have a google :p

Not all BT exchanges are equipped equally, they have varying backhaul depending on demand and other factors. Typical backhaul is 4 - 8Mbit for 512k 50:1 users and 10Mbit for 20:1 business users, not sure what is provisioned for 1Mbit users, think they go on the same paths as 512k.

This only applies to IPStream not DataStream, which uses a dedicated ATM link from each exchange onto Bulldog's ATM network, rather than having the data go to BT's LAC (L2TP Access Concentrator) along with the other IPStream ISPs on an exchange and get seperated there to be fed to the individual ISPs.

Bulldog's DataStream links typically vary between 2Mbit and at most 10Mbit, which in some cases works rather poorly, when there are 2 or 3 2Mbit users on an exchange intent on anhialating the 2Mbit VP (Virtual Pipe/Path) and said path only delivers 1.8Mbit of actual usable data speeds get a bit hairy.

That is how Bulldog delivers their alternative services on 450 or so exchanges in the UK.

In the 70 or so (I think) in Central London they actually use all their own kit. People's copper phone lines come in and go to Bulldog's own DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) - the bit that combines all the incoming ADSL 'calls' into ATM for backhaul, and from their goes down Bulldog's Metronet. As Bulldog have complete control of this apart from the copper itself and the line card at BT they can offer whatever they want on it, DataStream and IPStream are limited by BT to 2048k/256k maximum. Usually LLU (Local Loop Unbundled or BT speak DSL Option 2) exchanges are on 100Mbit LAN Extension lines ;)

And that's it in a nutshell, albeit a large one, hope that helps *phew*

Without having to google once ;) *flex*

lol - no need for a google - I used to work a telco (not NTL!)

I was keeping things simple and only talking about BT's own kit at the exchanges using IPStream, not the 35 Bulldog have LLU'ed in Central London or the fact that Bulldog sometimes use BT DataStream (though I did mention that Bulldog use a different form of backhaul as a reference) to operate the the Primetime service

BT IPStream exchanges have "sufficient" backhaul to BT's core network - the amounts differ according to the number of customers buts its more than sufficient

Bulldog uses BT DataStream as you correctly say and that can cause problems sometimes which is why Bulldog increase capicaty etc as I have also stated.

BT DataStream can only go up to 10MB per Virtual Circuit but Bulldog sometimes have more than 1 going to an exchange (they must have quite a few customers on those!) or so I have been reliabilty informed.

On the 35 exchanges which Bulldog have LLU'ed (central London only) a its all their equipment they are now offering up to 8Mb lines...

Hopefully as some of the DataStream exchanges get busier they will LLU them as well.

Easynet are the only other people really doing LLU in abig way (more exchanges than Bulldog) but they are not offering residentail services yet - but they will be next year sometime from what I have been told

DrAwesome 01-12-2003 20:47

Quote:

I have mentioned a few things to look out for before

have a read of the bulldog faqs (PrimeTime 1000/2000 Promotion)

17.(if the service is not what you expected) minimum term period.
18.(i have already mentioned this part in another post it applies to up/downgrading) and it doesnt apply to just bulldog.

and.....
22. Its getting close to xmas so if you havent decided you will have to be quick and the lower subscription price is a End of Year Sale Promotion.

Ignition 01-12-2003 22:00

Quote:

lol - no need for a google - I used to work a telco (not NTL!)
Hopefully as some of the DataStream exchanges get busier they will LLU them as well.

Easynet are the only other people really doing LLU in abig way (more exchanges than Bulldog) but they are not offering residentail services yet - but they will be next year sometime from what I have been told

Tricky the extra LLU as Bulldog at the mo only have a Metronet AFAIK.

Yep heard that too, they are taking orders to guage demand for their services on all exchanges, IPStreamed up or not, and this is I think a precursor to offering residential services.

Mmmm 8Mbit/768kbit :romance:

Paul 01-12-2003 22:35

Quote:

How about

Alternatives to ntl ?

Sorry, only just got back to this forum - and I agree with you. :D

madcap 02-12-2003 19:17

I have a question maybe someone can answer for me. I had a BT line that I used just for the internet in the old dial up days. I ended up getting rid it though as It always seemed to get a terrible crackle on the line thus making the dial up useless. It didn't happen all the the time but it was quite often and so after at least 10 attempts by engineers to fix the problem ( who always swore it was fixed ) I got rid. Anyway would this noise on the line affect ADSL if I went down that route in the future?

Neil 02-12-2003 19:19

Once you sign up for ADSL with your chosen provider, BT do a check on the line for DSL compatability.

madcap 02-12-2003 19:23

Quote:

Once you sign up for ADSL with your chosen provider, BT do a check on the line for DSL compatability.

Ahhh but i would have to get the BT line back first, which I wouldn't want if its no good for the ADSL with the noise on the line. Whats the min contract these days for the phone line?

Neil 02-12-2003 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcap
Ahhh but i would have to get the BT line back first, which I wouldn't want if its no good for the ADSL with the noise on the line. Whats the min contract these days for the phone line?

I couldn't see anything on BT's site about a minimum term, so why not ring them on 0808 100 5152 & ask them?

DrAwesome 02-12-2003 19:36

Quote:

I dunno weather this would help but BT told me that if any work had to be done on the line after the engineer was checking it you can cancel the installation and not go ahead with the transfer (i guess you must make sure from the start that BT understand why you are switching back to them)

Neil 02-12-2003 19:42

Quote:

I just rang them, & they said if there's been a BT line in the property before, the minimum term is 3 months, so it's not too bad if the line should fail the DSL test.

HTH.

madcap 02-12-2003 20:28

okay thaks for the help guys, guess I'll just give them a ring and ask them what my options are, if the line is not up to a certain standard i would of thought i could just cancel anyway.

th'engineer 03-12-2003 09:33

Neil has your online gaming experience improved by using ADSL. I have been getting some serious stick off my Teenager this week. Over lag and bad pings told him the reasons why, but teenagers are not that reasoned.
He said that he was going to his mates who have ADSL from ZEN.

Neil 03-12-2003 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by th'engineer
Neil has your online gaming experience improved by using ADSL. I have been getting some serious stick off my Teenager this week. Over lag and bad pings told him the reasons why, but teenagers are not that reasoned.

Not that different really TBH m8. My cable pings were always good, but they are slightly lower on ADSL (only about 10/15 ms lower), so no major difference.

The main differences are reliable E-Mail, no proxy/browsing issues, a stable connection to the web, decent customer service, & a company I feel I can trust.

DrAwesome 03-12-2003 22:33

Quote:

okay thaks for the help guys, guess I'll just give them a ring and ask them what my options are, if the line is not up to a certain standard i would of thought i could just cancel anyway.

Some ADSL isp's (if you order your adsl hardware direct from them) they wont ship it/charge you for the hardware if the line test says your BT phone line isnt upto the required standard. (If your not sure its always best to ask/if they do send out the hardware and you send it back for a refund you could end up paying a handling charge)

BT usually asks you to contact them 7 days after your line has been re-activated alternativly if you decide to go ahead and contact an ADSL provider the ISP that you have choosen automatically asks BT to test the line before they go any further.

I once took the BAM away from the line and it is possible to talk and surf at the same time but the noise does get on your nerves after awhile.

Steve H 03-12-2003 22:50

Quote:

Mine arent that different either.

Having problems at the mo' with Connection inturuptions during games, but this is down to the USB modem, I think with me still running on USB1.0 :bigcry:

Will be getting a ADSL Router/Modem at crimbo anyway :)

Neil 03-12-2003 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve H
Mine arent that different either.

Having problems at the mo' with Connection inturuptions during games, but this is down to the USB modem, I think with me still running on USB1.0 :bigcry:

Will be getting a ADSL Router/Modem at crimbo anyway :)

Good move Steve. I can recommend the Netgear DG824M. :tu:

DrAwesome 03-12-2003 23:03

Quote:

what put me off the DG824M when i read somewhere (i think it was adsl guide) that there is a major bug in ver 1.3 Release 03 it crashes when transfering large files. (obvously it will nodoubt be fixed in the next firmware update)

gt94sss2 04-12-2003 05:56

Quote:

The DG824M has just been replaced by the DG834G (new model supports 802.11g as well as 802.11b which the 824 supports)

Not to be confused with the DG834 which replaces the DG814 (both non wireless)

The new 834 series has only started shipping recently so it may be a struggle to find anywhere which has stock - they are selling out very quickly atm

Shaun 04-12-2003 23:35

I've taken the plunge, I rang BT today, they are coming to install the new (I say new but it's not :rolleyes: ) line on the 10th, I can't get over how easy it all was. No hassle, no messing around, and so friendly. Cant think why we didn't switch ages ago, oh yer, that bloody 12 month contract :( .

I also rang Bulldog today, what a difference in attitude than Ntl, couldn't help me enough and the guy actually knew what he was talking about :eek:*

so thats me happy, should have bulldog by crimbo, just got to wait until tomorrow and call to cancel my Ntl accounts (that'll be fun :rolleyes: :( )

*no offence to all those excellent CS agents at Ntl that do know what they are on about, but you know what the others there are like (well you work with them so you must :p )

gt94sss2 05-12-2003 00:10

Quote:

I've taken the plunge, I rang BT today, they are coming to install the new (I say new but it's not :rolleyes: ) line on the 10th, I can't get over how easy it all was. No hassle, no messing around, and so friendly. Cant think why we didn't switch ages ago, oh yer, that bloody 12 month contract :(

Have sent you a PM re: Bulldog but..

FYI.. you can cancel a BT contract early if you pay a small cancellation charge (max £18) - depending on how long you have left to run on the BT contract

Details 3/4 of the page down on http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c....boo/00023.htm under Cancellation Charge

If anyone else wants to join Bulldog would they mind quoting my referral code when joining?

Its bdol 87431 - just quote while ordering and send me a message so I can thank you!

I'm afraid you don't get anything but with luck I might :)

gt94sss2 05-12-2003 01:49

Quote:

The minimum period for cancelling is 3 months without any charge, when you recieve a letter from BT confirming the change over if you look on the second page under List of your requirements it should say Minimum Period 3 months.. you can confirm this by giving them a call on 0800 521125.

The minimum contract is 3 months if you are reconnecting an existing line.

In Dellwear's case he is technically connecting a "new line" (as BT have never served a customer there before) and on those contracts the minimum term is 12 months but you can cancel early per the url I posted

Quote:

some added info...
If you want to pay monthly like you used to pay your NTL phone rental you can do so you must tell BT you wish to pay monthly instead of quarterly your first payment is quarterly then there after it will be monthly.
Also if you pay by direct debit the monthly rental is slightly cheaper (£1 or so)

Finally depending on how much you plan to use your BT line ask for details of their standard/basic tariff - its cheaper than their Together ones if you don't use the phone much + comes with a call allowance (they no longer advertise it though - I wonder why :Pumpkin: (joke!))

DrAwesome 05-12-2003 02:10

Quote:

Finally depending on how much you plan to use your BT line ask for details of their standard/basic tariff - its cheaper than their Together ones if you don't use the phone much + comes with a call allowance (they no longer advertise it though - I wonder why :Pumpkin: (joke!))

Im on the BT standard line option £9:50 a month inc vat, i asked about the low caller line option BT have (if you make under a certain amount of calls a month BT have a lower caller line rental option) which is even cheaper line rental than the BT standard, as i told them i dont make many calls during the month as its cheaper using my mobile, unfortunatly the lower caller line option is classed as a life line and BT class using ADSL on the line as call usage so the only low cost rental option for ADSL usage is the BT standard line option at £9:50 a month if paid by direct debit but anyone that pays the BT standard line rental gets £1:20 worth of free calls a month so really your paying £8:30 a month rental (provided you pay by direct debit) :)

gt94sss2 05-12-2003 02:18

Quote:

Im on the BT standard line option £9:50 a month inc vat, i asked about the low caller line option BT have which is even cheaper line rental, as i told them i dont make many calls during the month as its cheaper using my mobile, unfortunatly the lower caller line option is classed as a life line and BT class using ADSL on the line as call usage so the only low cost rental option for ADSL usage is the BT standard line option at £9:50 a month if paid by direct debit but anyone that pays the BT standard line rental gets £1:20 worth of free calls a month so really your paying £8:30 a month rental (provided you pay by direct debit) :)

BT Standard line rental: £10.50
£1 discount if paying by direct debit - £9.50/month
It includes a £2.15 call allowance (not £1.20)

min effective line rental = 7.35/month

All prices inc VAT etc (lol - I should work for BT - sad knowing all this off the top of my head!)

Sadly you cant get the Low user tariff with adsl as you say.. you are not supposed to have it if you have a mobile or a line from someone else (NTL etc) (though they can't check afaik)

Also you cant use those cheap dial 1xxxx international call companies with that tariff either as BT bar them

the tariff is supposed to be for the "true" low users etc

DrAwesome 05-12-2003 08:49

Quote:

BT Standard line rental: £10.50
£1 discount if paying by direct debit - £9.50/month
It includes a £2.15 call allowance (not £1.20)

min effective line rental = 7.35/month

All prices inc VAT etc (lol - I should work for BT - sad knowing all this off the top of my head!)

Sadly you cant get the Low user tariff with adsl as you say.. you are not supposed to have it if you have a mobile or a line from someone else (NTL etc) (though they can't check afaik)

Also you cant use those cheap dial 1xxxx international call companies with that tariff either as BT bar them

the tariff is supposed to be for the "true" low users etc

You have earned your commission this morning :)

etccarmageddon 05-12-2003 10:29

I'd read the latest problems within the adslguide bulldog forum before ordering... i.e. only order with your eyes open!

Frank 05-12-2003 12:38

Quote:

just got to wait until tomorrow and call to cancel my Ntl accounts

It doesn't need to be stressful :)

Just write to the address on the bill, send it recorded delivery, and sit back - happy in the knowledge that you don't have to pay a penny to them after the 30 day notice period. If they lose it - tough - then see them in court.

Mantrid 05-12-2003 14:16

Got BT on the case yesterday to change over my NTL line to BT. 18th December is the earliest time.

Tempted by Bulldog ADSL unless anyone recommends otherwise.

Frank 05-12-2003 14:18

I can recommend Nildram, Zen and Pipex. They're all well up at the top on ADSLGuide.

DrAwesome 05-12-2003 14:46

Dearest - cheapest :)
You have to way up whats on offer from the adsl providers and depending on how much cash you wanna spend some waver the adsl connection fee some offer adsl modems some give you sweet nothing, also how much is the adsl hardware going to cost you and where is the cheapest place to buy it from (baring in mind not everyone can afford a massive cash outlay especially at this time of year) so whats your choice of adsl hardware do you buy adsl wireless = dearest or choose to stick to ethernet = cheapest or do you avoid usb adsl modems?

(the only stress you might suffer from is going through this thread looking for the information you need)

Its a lot of choice but no real stress because hopefully someone reading this thread can help you make the decission easily.

etccarmageddon 05-12-2003 14:48

I recommend freeserve because of their 30 day trial offer - if it is a pile of poo you can send it back and get a refund.

DrAwesome 06-12-2003 11:32

I remember phoning Bulldog to enquire about their Alltime 2000 service £44.64 a month inc vat, i was told that i couldnt have the service but i could have the Biztime 2000 £68.14 a month inc vat difference being (apart from the monthly price) the Alltime 2000 is only available to 450 BT exchanges and the Biztime 2000 is available Nationally... so this means that if i wanted to signup for Bulldogs PrimeTime 2000 Special Offer - £29.99 (inc VAT) which was another consideration (from 6pm till 8am everyday, all day in the weekends and bank holidays 2meg and all other times 512k) i cannot because that service is only available across 450 BT exchanges. Primetime 1000 is a no go as well eventhough Alltime 1000 is available to me if i choose to want it.. :spin:

gt94sss2 06-12-2003 11:48

Yes, it can be confusing!

Some services are only available at certain (450/500) exchanges -due to the way Bulldog provide the backhaul - while others use the "normal" BT method.

If you want a service and Bulldog don't yet offer it in your area, pre register for it at https://secure.bulldogdsl.com/shop/pre-register.asp (no commitment) as they use that to partly decide where to expand their own network (the other backhaul method etc) too

DrAwesome 06-12-2003 12:13

Quote:

Yes, it can be confusing!

Some services are only available at certain (450/500) exchanges -due to the way Bulldog provide the backhaul - while others use the "normal" BT method.

If you want a service and Bulldog don't yet offer it in your area, pre register for it at https://secure.bulldogdsl.com/shop/pre-register.asp (no commitment) as they use that to partly decide where to expand their own network (the other backhaul method etc) too

The confussing part for me was if Bulldog can offer a connection speed for Business (national exchanges) surely they can off you the same connection on home/residential service. it must be they can milk more money from this service from business than offering it to residential customers.

I wonder if you will get anything if everyone who accesses the link and filled in the required information and quoted your referal code in the section Where did you hear about Bulldog? part :)

Bifta 06-12-2003 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keyser
I can recommend Nildram, Zen and Pipex. They're all well up at the top on ADSLGuide.

Do Nildram still cap their connections?

gt94sss2 06-12-2003 12:41

Quote:

The confussing part for me was if Bulldog can offer a connection speed for Business (national exchanges) surely they can off you the same connection on home/residential service. it must be they can milk more money from this service from business than offering it to residential customers.

Its because of the way the traffic goes from the exchange to Bulldog.

BT Wholesale sell something called BT IPStream to ISP's which is available at:

512K and 1MB (50:1 contention) - basically "home" products
512K/1MB/2MB (20:1 contention) - business products etc

These are the ones virtually all ISP's use (24/7 etc) and are available nationally.

Then there is something called BT DataStream which lets the ISP choose what services and contention to offer (hence why Bulldog can offer Primetime and Tiscalli can offer 150K services) - however this is set up per ISP/exchange - hence its limited availability as its more expensive than IPStream below a certain number of users for that ISP per exchange.

As you will see BT IPStream doesn't offer 2MB at 50:1 which is what Alltime 2000 would be etc - while Bulldog can do it via their DataStream exchanges etc - in the same way Bulldog can't offer "time of day"/Primetime products on IPStream either.

However, Alltime 1000 at 50:1 is available on IPStream and hence available nationally (and its 40:1 if you are on a DataStream exchange ss Bulldog control it then)

Whichever service you choose, even the IPStream ones - your contontention ratios are actually a lot less than the quoted figures

Quote:

I wonder if you will get anything if everyone who accesses the link and filled in the required information and quoted your referal code in the section Where did you hear about Bulldog? part :)
lol - you mean bdol 87431 ?:)

In theory, yes I am supposed to get something - though I have referred a couple of friends in the past and not received anything yet so will have to chase that up at some stage..

Unfortunately, the person joining doesn't get anything but I think thats the way Pipex's scheme worked as well (:

DrAwesome 06-12-2003 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bifta
Do Nildram still cap their connections?

yes their 1meg & 2meg service
dsl1000 (1024Kbps) capped 150GBytes a month. subscription £39.99 a month
dsl2000 (2048Kbps) capped 150GBytes a month. subscription £58.00 a month
dsl500 (512Kbps) No Cap. subscription £26.49 a month
dslSurf500 (512Kbps) No Cap. Subscription £22.99 a month

I did hear a rumour that pipex will be soon intrducing a cap because they are having big problems keeping their news service (binaries) running too many customers leeching.

As far as i can see/read Bulldog doesnt have a cap.

Ignition 06-12-2003 13:20

Quote:

I did hear a rumour that pipex will be soon intrducing a cap because they are having big problems keeping their news service (binaries) running too many customers leeching.

*Checks*

Nope all fixed as they promised, best it's been for months, downloading headers and individual posts is maxing this 512k line.

I am impressed though that they keep upgrading it, 6 days retention and full speed of line is astonishing performance for an ISP's news server. Only Telewest that I've seen are as good ;)

EDIT: Applying caps to news server bandwidth and to service usage as a whole are 2 very different things, though I would say that some people use Pipex just because the news servers are good most of the time, and no doubt some do cane the service. Hopefully at some point soon all / most DSL ISPs will start to take notice of those who up or download full pelt 24x7, though it's not happening yet, I know of someone who has been serving MP3s on their DSL line, maxing upload solidly for over 3 years now, no doubt there are thousands more (about 10,000 on dsl going by the law of averages).

ntl customer 06-12-2003 13:23

Quote:

yes their 1meg & 2meg service
dsl1000 (1024Kbps) capped 150GBytes a month. subscription £39.99 a month
dsl2000 (2048Kbps) capped 150GBytes a month. subscription £58.00 a month
dsl500 (512Kbps) No Cap. subscription £26.49 a month
dslSurf500 (512Kbps) No Cap. Subscription £22.99 a month

As far as i can see/read Bulldog doesnt have a cap.

I hope that they don't introduce a cap, as I'm now with them ;)

Quote:

so whats your choice of adsl hardware do you buy adsl wireless = dearest or choose to stick to ethernet = cheapest or do you avoid usb adsl modems
Avoid USB modems at all costs. Go down the ethernet modem route (which is what I did) if you only intend to connect 1 compuer/network device or if you need to connect mutliple computers/network devices then go down the ethernet/wifi router route, depending on what you want.

But avoid USB like the plague! ;)

DrAwesome 06-12-2003 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntl customer
I hope that they don't introduce a cap, as I'm now with them ;)

i hope they dont introduce it as i have many friends using the service and it would just crush them if they was a restriction imposed

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntl customer
Avoid USB modems at all costs. Go down the ethernet modem route (which is what I did) if you only intend to connect 1 compuer/network device or if you need to connect mutliple computers/network devices then go down the ethernet/wifi router route, depending on what you want.

But avoid USB like the plague! ;)

so which ethernet adsl modem did you choose and did you have a second choice? The only decent ethernet adsl modem i could find when i did my search was the D-Link DSL-300G+.

Neil 06-12-2003 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mantrid
Got BT on the case yesterday to change over my NTL line to BT. 18th December is the earliest time.

Tempted by Bulldog ADSL unless anyone recommends otherwise.

I can thoroughly recommend Pipex, they were superb at sign up (mind you-aren't most companies?) They were also very profesional in all my following dealing by phone/email.

The other nice thing, is that when you phone up with a query/fault etc, you will get an email sent to the email address you signed up with, with a ticket number so that you can track the fault-I'd like to see ntl offer something like that!

th'engineer 06-12-2003 13:49

I can only really think of three large UK ISPs that CAP there customers Virgin, BT and good old NTL.
Even AOL NTLs partner does not CAP .
If you hear of any others contact me at the site in my Sig

themelon 06-12-2003 21:59

Quote:

I can only really think of three large UK ISPs that CAP there customers Virgin, BT and good old NTL.
Even AOL NTLs partner does not CAP .
If you hear of any others contact me at the site in my Sig

Unfortunately its a thing we will see more and more of in the future. The UKs networks simply cannot cope with everyone being on Broadband. Without serious investment we will see dial up speeds through a cable modem of ADSL Modem.

For those who make the switch, Final Word of Warning dont get a 'free' USB modem or any USB modem for that matter.....they are ****e pure and simple!! Go for Internal or Ethernet...Or a router is more logical.

Will agree Pipex are a pretty good provider, use them at work. Not many problems the ones we have had are BTs issues with the curcuit, which has had to be replaced 2 times already. BT Connect is utter tripe (BT Openworld for business) we had before.

Personally at home ive been pretty happy with ntls broadband service, for me it has an extra bit of umph! for downloading, its slightly let down by slow uploads, but On our pipex connection we average 56-60k download speeds on ntl I get around 85k on 600k downloading. If its working well its great......I guess if it aint your better switching.

DrAwesome 06-12-2003 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by themelon
The UKs networks simply cannot cope with everyone being on Broadband. Without serious investment we will see dial up speeds through a cable modem of ADSL Modem.

Looking at the majority of exchanges the trigger levels are quite high and it looks as if they are filling up fast as prices become more and more competitive i noticed some adsl ip's offering low price or free dialup accounts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by themelon
For those who make the switch, Final Word of Warning dont get a 'free' USB modem or any USB modem for that matter.....they are ****e pure and simple!! Go for Internal or Ethernet...Or a router is more logical..

I'm still waiting for someone to suggest a good alround cheap adsl ethernet modem or ethernet modem/router & firewal etc..

Spoilt for choice? here are just some of the adsl modems on offer i found hunting via Google

D-Link DSL-300G+ Ethernet ADSL Modem priced at £68.14 inc vat

Netgear DG834 LAN Starter Kit comes with DG834 ADSL Router, 2 x network cards and 2 x cables priced at £97.51 inc vat

Netgear DG834 on its own priced at £93.99 Inc vat
The info i have read on the DG834 suggests that it is ethernet on the router side but fails to mention weather its a usb or ethernet on the modem side (usually usb modems dont come packaged with a small transformer (external power adapter) so thats a sign that it is a ethernet adsl modem).

SMC SMC7401BRA £76.36 inc vat

Zoom Hayes 5560 X3 £82.24 inc vat

Solwise ADSL Modem/Router (SAR130) £70.44 inc vat

NetGear DM602 ADSL-Modem (ethernet/ usb) from £53-70 depending where you buy this model

Actiontec USB/Ethernet DSL Modem priced around £53-58 depending where you buy it.

Binatone ADSL 2000 High Speed ADSL Router Modem priced at £49.35 inc vat.

Above are just a few ethernet adsl modem.. modem/routers on offer if you choose adsl BB to connect to the internet so many choices which one do you choose?

gt94sss2 07-12-2003 01:03

Two things..

1. If you don't want to go with Bulldog.. there are several other good ISP's I would consider (in no particular order):

Pipex (as already mentioned)
Plusnet
Zen
Metronet (only if you are a low user <-- may not be relevant to anyone here!)
Nildram
Freedom-2-Surf
NDO
www.aaisp.co.uk (esp if you are a techie)
www.hi-velocity.it (excellent customer service imv)

All depends on what services/price you want to pay but they all have a decent reputation

2. For a cheap ethernet router try the models Ebuyer sell as their own brand. There is a 1 port version (Quickfind code 48448) and a 4 port version (QuickFind code: 48449)

You would think that as they are cheap they would come with no support etc - actually they are Origo routers and come with full UK support, a user forum and firmare updates via http://adsltech.com/ who are their UK distributers - I know several ppl who are using them quite happily

btw DrAwesome: you are right the Netgear DG834 is an ethernet modem :)