Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Telco Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   mj Quinn bt openreach engineers (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33692053)

Gateshead 15-02-2013 21:06

mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

Hi I'm about to embark on mj Quinn bt openreach accreditation course in march. Is anyone else on it? What are mj Quinn like to work for? also my course start time every day is 430pm til midnight has this always been the case if so what's the thinking unless theyre worried all candidates will still be ****ed from the night before haha

Scubaboy 15-02-2013 21:12

Re: mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

ive been told today that because i live in manchester that manchester is saturated with engineers and it would be unfair to train me up and have no job at the end so they have stopped my training ang job.even after confirming my training times and start date.i had even booked my hotel with no chance of canceling or getting my money back

Gateshead 15-02-2013 21:23

That's a rough deal that. They send you all over so really distance shouldn't come into it.

Gateshead 15-02-2013 21:33

bt openreach mj Quinn contract

Anyone involved in the mj Quinn contract. I'm starting with them in march but another member has just been let down before even starting by the recruiter.despite booking his hotel and train following his confirmation. They said he lived too close and his area was saturated with engineers

Gateshead 15-02-2013 21:59

info on bt openreach mj Quinn contract

Anyone involved with mj Quinn contract?

Kymmy 16-02-2013 08:42

Please do not start more than one thread on the same subject. Threads merged

jaffan 16-02-2013 18:56

Re: info on bt openreach mj Quinn contract

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gateshead (Post 35537209)
Anyone involved with mj Quinn contract?

how many days it took for u to get an email from MJ quinn after confirmation from recruiter.............

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

becuase i got confirmation from recruiter a week ago but did not got any confirmation mail

Rjkr4 17-02-2013 14:43

I've just applied too. I asked whether it was self employed as this is what I don't want. Some girl on the phone said they have management companies to sort tax and NI out. Bloody hope so as it will be we'll risky. I was told £25 a job, 5 - 12 days training in Coventry and a induction at Liverpool. I have had to chase them up but no details as of yet. Can't find anyone who has worked for them either however a openreach friend of mine says they r ok but he don't really know

Gateshead 17-02-2013 15:35

Its5 day course for domestic managed installers and 12 for data installations.a gay at the edge of my street workers for them it's 22.50 a job at least4a day

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

Oops meant to say guy haha

Rjkr4 17-02-2013 15:35

Thanks for the reply appreciate it. Do u know if the firm are ok to work for I know other contractors are awful. Never had to work for a contractor before but fed up with KPI's.

Gateshead 17-02-2013 16:14

Not sure as of yet, will know more after speaking top the guy at the rd of my street. Then I will post it here

Rjkr4 17-02-2013 16:38

Thank you. 4 kids and a mortgage r a worry so any info u can get would be great.

jf123 17-02-2013 19:42

hi all i work for mj quinn and am from the lancashire area they r quite good to work for and pay well i am in and out of area all the time , i am working away this coming week and only got told at 20 to 4 on friday which isnt ideal to be honest but that is contracting at the end of the day ! regarding pay its different all the time , if you are on managed installs ( fibre ) you are on £22.50 a job and if you are on copper provisions there are 4 rates of pay per job ,

rate 1 ( 0-6 miles from home postcode ) £28.50 per job
rate 2 (6-30 miles away from home ) £30.75 per job
rate 3 (30-60 miles away from home ) £33.75 per job
rate 4 (60 plus miles away from home ) £42.25 per job

i am working in east london this week where i will be on rate 4 doing around 6-9 jobs per day , you have to pay for own digs and diesel etc but after all my digs and diesel etc i should easilly clear £900-£1000 to myself for the week ! i have worked for the other contractor also (kellys) and tbh they are a joke compared to quinns yeah they pay your diesel and hotel bills but you get treated like dirt and the rate of pay is £25 per job no matter where you work !

morale of the story quinns is better than kellys to work for but be expected to work away on extremely short notice but when in your own area its a doddle earning £500-£800 a week home at around 5 every night !!

rant over !!

Rjkr4 17-02-2013 20:56

Wow lovely money! Not too keen on East London working though but there u go. So u get paid weekly? Hope so as all the diesel to fork out for and digs!!! It sounds quite good just the diesel and digs bit I don't like. Sounds very tempting. Thank u so much for all the detail, didn't get told any of that over the phone!

jaffan 17-02-2013 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjkr4 (Post 35537888)
Wow lovely money! Not too keen on East London working though but there u go. So u get paid weekly? Hope so as all the diesel to fork out for and digs!!! It sounds quite good just the diesel and digs bit I don't like. Sounds very tempting. Thank u so much for all the detail, didn't get told any of that over the phone!

Actually I got feedback from recruiter and waiting for mail from mj quinn and will recruiter will ask date of birth

jf123 17-02-2013 21:55

When working in London I fill up on a Monday and use half a tank getting down there and half a tank for the rest of the weeks commuting to and from jobs and then fill up again on a Friday before the horrible drive up the m1 and m6 but I am in digs this week sharing with another engineer and in paying 19 pound a night !! So out of like 1100 I take away about 220 quid and the rest is mine not too bad at all but u have to work hard to earn money and the BT network takes some getting used too if u r new too it but once u get used its easy money !

Rjkr4 17-02-2013 22:07

Yeh I've had the same email etc. just waiting myself. One final question is it self employed?

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

My dad used to work for BT. I know a bit but its like all things I suppose, once u know it!! As long as I can earn more than 350 until im used to it I'll be happy. Currently work for a firm, don't wanna say too much. Cheers guys nice to get some quality info

jf123 17-02-2013 22:19

Yeah it's self employed but u get tax and ni done for you by ur agency and u only get taxed on 247 a week anything u earn over that in non taxable because its classes as expenses so u could earn 1000 a week and pay the same tax as if u earn say. 300 a week so no need to see accountants or anything

Rjkr4 17-02-2013 22:36

Cheers mate. Just don't wanna go in blind to it all as my job is steady but just full of KPI rubbish. Thanks again, any other info please send it my way, just need to convince the Mrs's now!!! A mate of mine works for Openreach and his manager said MJ Quinn were ok.

woody201059 18-02-2013 15:48

hi all im also booked in on the course in coventry on the 11th march im booked in for the managed install 5 day course the agency ive applied through is insite international is anyone else applied through them?ive also been told my start date for the job is the 18th march where i have to go to liverpool for the induction and pick up van fuel card ect also been told i will be paid £50 per day for the training as anyone else been told this?

Rjkr4 18-02-2013 15:52

I've been told the same apart from there is a delay in the contract down my way so I don't know if I'm in yet, I hope so.

woody201059 18-02-2013 15:54

ive also been told the course times are from 4.30pm to 12am which are stupid times if you ask me!!
i phoned mjquinn direct to make sure the times are right and they are.
also i have the course timetable which has am and pm times on and there are two groupes
does anyone know where to get a copy of the bt trainer guide from?

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

good luck if you are in Rjkr4 i know they are recructing loads of new engineers
ive not had any conformation direct from mj quinn though as of yet

Rjkr4 18-02-2013 16:09

Thanks Woody - does seem a strange time for the course but least u get the whole day to do wot u want I suppose. What area r u from? Hope it goes ok for ya

woody201059 18-02-2013 16:12

im from scunthrope north lincs at least I can have a lay in the morning instead of getting woke up earlly by my 6year old lol..
I hope it goes ok aswell I just wanna get the course out the way and start work

Rjkr4 18-02-2013 16:26

Lol, I've got 4 kids mate!!! Courses r always annoying, however money sounds very nice. Once again all the best. Give me a shout please if u hear anymore info

woody201059 18-02-2013 16:41

we have 5 kids between me and the misses and another on the way.
I also agree the money is nice just found out aswell that mj quinn use there own umbrella company to pay you as i didnt know if i had to sort my own out for it

Rjkr4 18-02-2013 16:58

Blimey loads of kids lol. Yeh I heard that too. Mrs's ain't to keen on me doing this as she thinks the work isn't guaranteed and self employed. I know there is loads of work but she isn't convinced. How long is the contract? I suppose the umbrella company take a cut of money too, don't they? Thing is though I still fancy it!!

woody201059 18-02-2013 17:14

the contract is ongoing as bt open reach gives mj quinn more and more areas ect every week so the contract will be long! i think the umbrella company will take a cut but dont know on how much it will be!
is it the managed install course you are on? also have you done any work like this before? ive installed phone points ect and know how to do installs ect but never done any of the fttc or pcp work with the green boxes
have you been told you will get a company van ect?

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

just read my paperwork and bt are allocating more patches and volume across a five week period so some engineers will have to work out of area and we will be piad £30 per night even if we travel home or not and £40 per night if its london

Rjkr4 18-02-2013 17:34

Same experience as yourself but pretty switched on to the Broadband side of it. I understand the Bt network but not worked on it, my dad has through BT and I've been working for a provider for a while now but not contracting. It's not that difficult really just getting used to the network. Wouldn't mind reading that paperwork, that sounds ok for the night rate

woody201059 18-02-2013 17:59

if you give me your email ill send info over to you how easy is the test equipment to use?

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

just emailed info for you mate

Gateshead 18-02-2013 19:17

Does anyone employed by mj Quinn know how easy it is to swap between managed installs and data? I'm on the managed installation course but experience in data. Was wondering if work was quiet if you could switch as an option. Also is data better work or managed installation? Which has the greater chance of being closer to home or working away?
Cheers

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

And why is it we, re being told we, re getting diesel cards but current engineers have to pay for fuel?

woody201059 18-02-2013 20:18

hi gateshead i dont know why we are getting told were getting fuel cards unless is something new as for the managed installs and data i dont know if you can change over to that or even if you could or not but it would be worth knowing!!! as for being close to home ive been told ill be working within a 40 mile radius of my home

Gateshead 18-02-2013 20:26

Ye same here working within 40 miles but I'm just wondering how flexible they ARE. They asked me if I wanted data or managed installs. Data was a12 day course. I chose managed installs as they said you got more work doing them.

woody201059 18-02-2013 20:33

i was told the pay is better with managed installs but i had the choose of doing managed install or copper install dont really know how flexible they are but will try and find out

Gateshead 18-02-2013 20:39

Ye I think copper and data are both the same. Although I can't understand why you need a 12day course unless your training people up from scratch. I'm hoping they recognise the qualifications and experience new engineers bring to the company and allow flexibility to change or dual work both types of installation.

Paul55 19-02-2013 14:33

I'm on the install course on 11th March as well. I'm a little concerned as I have done any telecom work since I was an Exchange Mtce engineer back in the late 70's, I left BT in '81. Do you know if this involves any working at height? I'm crap at heights. The job almost seems to be too good to be true Or am I being too cynical?

Gateshead 19-02-2013 15:02

Your being cynical. Bt wiring hadn't changed with regards wiring order only the fact the cab is being linkedto ffibre. You need a head for heights but only telegraph poles up to 5m. They are training everyone up to bt standard not justfor their equipment but also to garuntee the standard for health and safety. Basically everyone should be on the same level upon completion of the course.

G Telf 19-02-2013 15:18

Hi guys,

I've just been contacted by the agency re going on the course on the 18th. As I'm coming from an Electrical background I was advised to do the 12 day course, does anyone know if it cover both data and copper ??

I also have my worries regarding moving from a stable job to contracting and this does sound to good to be true.

I was also told it was a 3yr contract.

I'm up in Scotland too so will there be enough work coming thru for me !?!

Decisions decisions

Paul55 19-02-2013 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gateshead (Post 35538556)
Your being cynical. Bt wiring hadn't changed with regards wiring order only the fact the cab is being linkedto ffibre. You need a head for heights but only telegraph poles up to 5m. They are training everyone up to bt standard not justfor their equipment but also to garuntee the standard for health and safety. Basically everyone should be on the same level upon completion of the course.

Thanks mate :)

Gateshead 19-02-2013 17:28

Copper and data are both same process.generally speaking its cat 5e cat 6 enabljng voice over data. Basically commercial premises requiring multiple data points and telephones

G Telf 19-02-2013 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gateshead (Post 35538640)
Copper and data are both same process.generally speaking its cat 5e cat 6 enabljng voice over data. Basically commercial premises requiring multiple data points and telephones

Thanks mate,

Has anyone had their confirmation e-mail from MJ yet ??

How long does it take to come after agency confirm a successful application ??

Sorry for all the questions guys

Gateshead 19-02-2013 19:50

I haven't heard of anyone recieving confirmation from mj quinn however course content is from mj quinn. Earlier posts from employees mention an umbrella company dealing with pay for tax and ni.i can only assume this might be tge agency responsible for recruitment. Confirmation from mj quinn should come the day you pick your van up once you complete the course. After all that day is a company induction day.

I may her wrong however but that's the way it's been from people I know have went through the process in the past.

G Telf 19-02-2013 19:59

Was the course content sent out by post mate ??

Gateshead 19-02-2013 20:03

No its emailed as an attachment 2 to 3 days after you received phone confirmation from insite

Paul55 20-02-2013 11:26

Anyone got any recommendations for B&B's near the Coventry training centre?

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Here's a heads up for everyone attending the course at Coventry. The first day is from 4:30pm till Midnight & so are the next 4 days!

woody201059 20-02-2013 12:48

I got my confirmation from insite via email 2 days after insure confirmed the course
Paul55 I went on to late rooms and booked my B and B via them some of the rooms are only 20 odd quid per night I got a double room for 30 quid a night and its about 3 mile away from the training centre
Gateshead I was told from insure that mj Quinn use there own umbrella company for payment to us
Does everyone have experience working on FTTC ect as the only experience I have is just installing cat 5 and phone lines as I'm an electrician by trade but never worked on fttc or pcp cabinets cheers guys

Gateshead 20-02-2013 13:14

Pcp are basically e side (exchange) and d side (distribution to smaller dp.ie telegraph poles or underground dp bombs) these then have 4 wire telco cable to premises.each wire represents 1 telephone line. If you have copper installs voice over data using krone strips its a bigger version of that.easy enough to get a hold of.

G Telf 20-02-2013 19:28

Has everyone else been told they'll be reimbursed for their travel and accommodation for the course by claiming thru expenses ??

woody201059 20-02-2013 19:33

I got told ill get £50 per day while on the course and ill get it back with my first wages

G Telf 20-02-2013 19:35

Yeh I was told the same mate, I'm going to be on the 12 day course I think so its costing me a fortune to travel down from Scotland and find accommodation for the duration of the course

Gateshead 20-02-2013 19:55

Paid fifty a day for food and accommodation I was told all travel is down to the individual so wouldn't be reimbursed

Paul55 20-02-2013 20:01

Yeah you're right. Travel expenses are down to you.

Gateshead 20-02-2013 20:12

I took the latest course on the 18th that means I can get cheapest available train ticket for the following week to pick van up. But also booking accommodation so far ahead had made it cheaper too

Paul55 20-02-2013 20:20

I wish all you guys well but I've pulled out. I'm not prepared to sit around all day until 4:00 ish to begin the training day. I'm really sure you won't be popular getting back to your digs gone midnight. It's their loss IMO, train me during the day & I'll be there in a shot.

woody201059 20-02-2013 20:39

The times of the course are stupid to be honest my misses as gotta come with me on the 18th to Liverpool so I can pick the van up which she ain't happy about cos if I travel to Liverpool ive gotta get the 5am train to get there on time for the induction ect

---------- Post added at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

Where abouts are you all based anyway I'm near lincoln im about 3 hour from Coventry and 2 and a half hour away from Liverpool

Gateshead 20-02-2013 21:06

I'm Gateshead near Newcastle 3 hrs from Liverpool 4.5 hrs from Coventry

woody201059 20-02-2013 21:14

Bloody hell so looks like we all have to travel to get there then I got my digs through late rooms having to pay £30 a night I just hope they don't mind me getting in at gone 12.30 every night

G Telf 20-02-2013 21:31

How soon after completing the course do we have to go to Liverpool for the induction ??

Rjkr4 20-02-2013 21:37

Still no conformation for me. Hold up wiv the contracts apparently! If get in I gotta travel from Bognor Regis on the South Coast!!! Crazy lol

woody201059 20-02-2013 21:42

I start the course on the 11th and got I Liverpool on the 18th for the induction ect

Gateshead 20-02-2013 21:44

I've been told to pick my van up on 25th. My course is I on the 18th so it's the week following. But I hear it depends upon your in if you read earlier posts on this thread

woody201059 20-02-2013 21:56

I've had all my conformation ect through from insite ( the agency I applied through ) the sent me attachments via email from mj Quinn with course details, times, time table for the course also job details ect insure even sent my cv off to my Quinn and they got back to unsure saying I've got the job they just want me to do the 5 day course before I start

Rjkr4 20-02-2013 22:08

Good luck fellas!!

G Telf 20-02-2013 22:13

My application has been a little different to yours mate

I applied thru peopleline recruitment who phoned me regarding the position. They then sent my CV to MJ and I had a e-mail from peopleline saying my application was successful.

Then today I was e-mailed from MJs recruitment team with attachments: CRB Disclosure/driving details/previous employment. I need to supply them copies of my passport/proof of address/driving licence

Only once I've cleared all the above will I be given course details etc

woody201059 20-02-2013 22:24

I ain't been asked about a crb or anything like that buying Defo gonna find out about it now

Gateshead 20-02-2013 22:34

Woody the forms he's been asked to complete we are competing on the induction day.

woody201059 20-02-2013 23:09

Best take my licence and that with me then for my driver number bit daft on doing on the induction day then when your picking your van up what will happen if they turn you down on the day after getting there and filling all the paperwork ect in

Gateshead 21-02-2013 09:07

Why would they turn you down after putting you through the course, unless you had tons of penalty points. At the end of the day they've already selected you on the merits of your cv. The course and paperwork is merely to satisfy bts contractual requirements

jaffan 21-02-2013 09:20

will they will ask for date of birth and adress for crb check...because they asked me to do so.....

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 ----------

i did not got any information regarding training slots and generally for many people they train each day.......and can any one say how the vehicle will be will it be some decent one or use large vehicles for parcels etc like that!!!!!!!!

Gateshead 21-02-2013 09:27

They need dob and address backed up by utility bill, birth certificate or passport and your driving license.
As far as van goes the guy at the end of my street drives new shape Nissan van, but I've transit connects transit s around my way with mj quinn logo on.all new vans probably fleet hire

woody201059 21-02-2013 10:13

I got asked for date of both and address I seen some mj Quinn vans on my way to Manchester yesterday and they was transit high high tops both had Quinn and working in partnership with bt openreach on

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gateshead (Post 35539500)
Why would they turn you down after putting you through the course, unless you had tons of penalty points. At the end of the day they've already selected you on the merits of your cv. The course and paperwork is merely to satisfy bts contractual requirements

I never thought of it that way lol tell I had a tired day yeasterday or I was just being thick lmao

Scubaboy 21-02-2013 11:30

anyone on here from manchester been given a place on the course ?

Taffy58 21-02-2013 13:41

Hi all. I was booked in for the training, but pulled out. I got a few answers from the agency. Firstly you don't get a fuel card. You pay for your own fuel, its priced into the job. You are self employed, but umbrella company sort out the tax and n.i . All travelling expenses are covered by yourself. ( travel to coventry & liverpool ). The van is on hire to you, so if your off any days sick, it looks like you gotta pay for the hire of the van on those days. Insurance etc is covered through company, but you are liable for general wear & tear. The van comes with a full tank when picked up in liverpool, but gotta be given back with a full tank. It's a lot of out of pocket expenses before you even earn a wage, hence its no good for me.

Gateshead 21-02-2013 15:07

Was that insite? Cos all the paperwork they send out says you collect van and fuel card week following your course. That is the five day managed install course. Maybe it's different for the 12 day copper course?

Paul55 21-02-2013 16:02

I pulled out a couple of days ago & I hadn't heard anything from the agency. Insight International, then today I've been contacted my Quinns asking me to fill in my details for a CRB check etc before they'll give me the course details, duh!!! Itwas the course details that made me pull out! Do they know what they're doing?

Taffy58 21-02-2013 16:38

Lot of info on the F & Q sheet. Here is some of it.

Managed Install: Induction MONDAY following completion of training;

Deployment TUESDAY.
Do I get paid for accreditation/training?

Yes – you will receive £50 per day to be paid as per your payment terms on receipt of an invoice.

Do I get paid for the induction/collection of the vehicle and tooling?

No – although you will receive a full tank of diesel when you leave the yard which is payable when you leave contract/return your vehicle

If I need to travel the night before induction to enable me to be at an early morning induction do I get my hotel paid for?

You can claim up to £25.00 on proof of a hotel receipt. A photocopy will be taken of the receipt on the induction day

Where will I be working?

The contract is a nationwide contract although where possible and in most cases our planning department will try to keep engineers working as close to home as possible

Do I get paid holidays?

You will have to check with your agency on this - ( I checked and the answer i got was NO )

Do I get charged for the tools?

Tooling is supplied by MJ Quinn, however loss or damage is recharged for the replacement item (full details are provided in the contract for services and also when you are issued your tools)

Do I have to supply my own phone/pay the tablet phone bill?

We will issue you with a tablet which will give you the ability to receive your jobs and make business related calls. As a number of items are included in the standing charge, monthly usage is capped at £25 per user. Anything above and beyond this will be recharged and deducted from your next invoice. You will be advised of this before this is done.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Do I get charged for the van?

We hire the vehicle to you without charge. This does assume however that you will be available to work for us and fulfil the jobs you are allocated. If you are unable to do this without having authorisation for your absence, we reserve the right to charge a hire fee. Details of this are provided when you collect your vehicle.

We will cover the cost of the vehicle, insurance and general servicing and maintenance. We follow the BVRLA guidelines in terms of wear and tear and therefore repairs (excluding general maintenance/wear and tear) are recharged. You will be advised of the details and given all information regarding this prior to any deduction being made. Where you are involved in an incident requiring a claim through the insurance, so long as you have followed the process properly, your liability will be limited to the excess. Where our insurers are able to pursue a third party where the incident is not your fault, you will of course not be charged.

In addition, where a fine or parking ticket is incurred on the vehicle, this will be charged to you. If you are required to work in a congestion charge area, unless advised expressly otherwise, M J Quinn will organise and be responsible for this.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Do I get a fuel Card?

No – your fuel is built into the job price.

Who am I employed by?

All M J Quinn field labour is contracted via one of our agency partners. Your legal status is self employed, however generally the agency will establish you with an umbrella company to ensure that you do not need to worry about registering with HMRC as self employed.

Additionally, you will be provided with a contract for services by M J Quinn at your induction.

jaffan 21-02-2013 17:31

can we work on saturdays and how will be the work i mean will it will be hours for one job or easy to do 5 jobs a day

G Telf 21-02-2013 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy58 (Post 35539659)
Hi all. I was booked in for the training, but pulled out. I got a few answers from the agency. Firstly you don't get a fuel card. You pay for your own fuel, its priced into the job. You are self employed, but umbrella company sort out the tax and n.i . All travelling expenses are covered by yourself. ( travel to coventry & liverpool ). The van is on hire to you, so if your off any days sick, it looks like you gotta pay for the hire of the van on those days. Insurance etc is covered through company, but you are liable for general wear & tear. The van comes with a full tank when picked up in liverpool, but gotta be given back with a full tank. It's a lot of out of pocket expenses before you even earn a wage, hence its no good for me.

Surely being self employed means that your daily fuel use is claimed back on your expenses

gman3631 21-02-2013 17:57

Hi there guys

Im from an aerial and sat background just came across a job on various websites advertising for engineers working for mj quinn down south.
ive applied various times over the last week but heard nothing back.
just wondered how long it takes for them to get back to you, if they do?
ive looked online and they dont seem a bad company to work for, anyone enlighten me on that as i hope there not like kellys as ive only heard bad things about them.

many thanks

Gateshead 21-02-2013 19:05

gman depends who you contacted. I contacted mj then was contacted by insite. they booked me on the course set an induction date etc. then today i get an email from mj saying they cant confirm any dates until they recieve my crb, driving license form and training agreement.

WHAT A CLUSTER ****, IVE BOOKED MY ACCOM AND TRAIN TO LIVERPOOL TOO!!!!

Rjkr4 21-02-2013 19:42

Gman - yeh I'm the same mate for down south. They said something about waiting to finalise the contract whatever that means. Sent emails and phoned them, still same answer!! Just gotta sit tight i suppose

jaffan 22-02-2013 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Telf (Post 35539800)
Surely being self employed means that your daily fuel use is claimed back on your expenses

Does any one from south got training dates

G Telf 22-02-2013 12:28

Ok i'm getting a little worried that this isnt going to be whats its cracked up too be....

I signed up to the openreach engineers forum and the guys who are doing the same work recon you'll probably manage 4 jobs per day max

http://openreachengineer.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=983

woody201059 22-02-2013 22:10

Gateshead I did the same minute contacted insite from the go them yesterday I got an email from quinns with regard to they need to do crb check work history and dvla check even before I get offered the course dates even though insite as booked me on the course

Gateshead 22-02-2013 22:45

Did you contact insite asking why you need to send forms before confirming course dates as you have booked transport and accommodate based on their instructions? Now we're out of pocket if dates change

woody201059 22-02-2013 22:50

ive sent emails but had no response from them of has yet but i will be getting on to them first thing monday morning about it as its all bull**** now ive done the same as you ive booked my b&b and that aswell

Scubaboy 23-02-2013 08:30

Beware i was given dates for training and a date to go to liverpool then all got cancelled.They wont give you your b+b money back

woody201059 23-02-2013 11:09

i think that is whats going to happen with me too be fair its stupid how you get dates ect through then you have to undergo a crb ect before your dates get confirmed they are doing it the wrong way they should do the crb ect before you even get any dates at all ive lost out on about 200 quid if my dates gets cancelled

jaffan 23-02-2013 11:52

can we drive van with car licence

woody201059 23-02-2013 12:02

Yeah mate you can drive upto 3.5ton with a car licence or anything as bis a merc sprinter

Scubaboy 23-02-2013 12:17

i got told manchester was saturated with engineer and it wouldnt be fair to put me through training and have no job at the end but to be fair its a national contract so i could have worked out of area until they start recruiting for manchester.bunch of cowboys if you ask me

topjanner 24-02-2013 22:27

Right Guys

Training

You get £50 per day, out of that you need to pay for digs and food.

Make sure you have warm clothes on if your at PQMs, its bloody cold there at night

Once you have finished training on copper provision you will go out into the field with an experienced engineer, your "buddy" this is normally for 2 weeks, during this you will continue on £50 per day. To be fair you will probably need the 2 weeks.

Once completed and out on your own you will get on average 5-6 jobs per day

Through quinns you will get plenty of support from your manager, supervisor, other engineers etc

pay is 2 weeks in arrears through an umbrella company who sort your tax and ni

its a good job with a good company, the best of BT's main 3 contractors

G Telf 25-02-2013 07:34

How realistic is it that'll we will be able to complete 5-6 jobs per day thou ??

jaffan 25-02-2013 07:39

Are u from south did you got Ur trainig slots

---------- Post added at 07:39 ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 ----------

Gtelf r u from south

woody201059 25-02-2013 11:58

Just got an email from insure with regards to the training it has been cancelled at the min until the 1/4/13 so quinns can do the crb checks ect also I've been told not to book B&Q or travel for the 1st as it could still change

G Telf 25-02-2013 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaffan (Post 35541226)
Are u from south did you got Ur trainig slots

---------- Post added at 07:39 ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 ----------

Gtelf r u from south

No mate, I'm up in Scotland

tyler2013 26-02-2013 11:37

anyone else gone through peopleline? i got the email from quinns with all the forms etc which i completed and emailed back scanned copies with my passport etc. but that was last wednesday and i havent had a reply or conformation of anything. any ideas anyone? thanks :)

Glasgow_chris 26-02-2013 14:18

Hey guys new to this forum , got the same job offer for mj quinns Iam I expericed data engineer with NVQ etc but not done much telephone lines etc but don't think It will be to much if a difference but worried about leaving a secure job to do this but if it is what it says then I would be earning a lot more , anyone know what a average wage would be ? I'm just waiting on mj contacting me now I will keep you's up to date ,

Anyone from Glasgow doing the course or waiting for confirmation let me know

Chris

Paul55 26-02-2013 19:14

I e mailed Quinns asking them to confirm they're cuckoo training times, 4:30pm till Midnight! I've still not had a reply from 3 days ago.

They're not inspiring confidence with this attitude.

topjanner 26-02-2013 19:42

5-6 jobs is possible and will become more as the lighter evenings approach

if they are running the 4-30 til midnight course it is because they will be running 2 courses per day