Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Streaming : Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710941)

General Maximus 04-04-2022 15:37

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Pierre 04-04-2022 17:34

Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

looks OK, is this the Discovery spin off? Let's hope it's better than that!

Jaymoss 04-04-2022 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36118121)

It is but of course it is also kinda a TOS prequal and an Enterprise sequel

General Maximus 04-04-2022 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36118121)

I don't think so but it depends what your tastes are. I was hoping for a more serious grounded proper Star Trek series based on what we have already seen of the characters (i.e. establishing the baseline for my realism factor) however this looks way too silly and I can only assume they are taking advantage of a new series and blank slate and trying to capitalise on the success of The Orville and a lot of the criticism Discovery initially received. This trailer was deliberately made to make it look like a scifi comedy.

Chris 04-04-2022 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36118136)
I don't think so but it depends what your tastes are. I was hoping for a more serious grounded proper Star Trek series based on what we have already seen of the characters (i.e. establishing the baseline for my realism factor) however this looks way too silly and I can only assume they are taking advantage of a new series and blank slate and trying to capitalise on the success of The Orville and a lot of the criticism Discovery initially received. This trailer was deliberately made to make it look like a scifi comedy.

Have you ever even watched TOS? It mixed slapstick, closet racist jibes and high drama on a weekly basis. It did so precisely because the network criticised *both* pilots for being too serious (you can especially see this in The Cage). TOS was colourful, bombastic, melodramatic and hilarious in equal measure. “Proper” Star Trek isn’t grounded in the way you seem to think it is.

General Maximus 04-04-2022 22:45

I want it in the same tone or as they behaved in season 2 of Discovery; however you want to describe or categorise it.

Chris 04-04-2022 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36118143)
I want it in the same tone or as they behaved in season 2 of Discovery; however you want to describe or categorise it.

Given the lengths they’ve gone to to kick Discovery into the long grass, and the fact that they latched on to the idea of Pike’s Enterprise as a way of making the Star Trek prequel everyone hoped for (but didn’t get) in 2017, I think the chances of them using Disco season 2 to orientate SNW are slim to none. They are setting a series IIRC less than a decade prior to TOS and are now well aware of fandom’s expectations around that. Aside from the visual reboot which they are stuck with (and probably couldn’t have avoided even in 2017 to be honest), the entire production design is obviously calling back to the 1960s. It looks to me as if the starting point is “if Star Trek had been made back then with the production tools we have now, what might it have looked like?” If they answer that question well, we’re in for a treat. But I really don’t think it’s going to look much like the franchise-salvaging stuff we got in Discovery 2.

General Maximus 04-04-2022 23:10

I am not talking about the visual and aesthetics if Discovery, i am talking about the tone/attitude/behaviour of Pike. I loved who he was (is) and i want to see continuity. It is as if he is a completely different character in that trailer.

Jaymoss 04-04-2022 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36118143)

I just want to watch it with an open mind and enjoy the escapism. I feel sorry for you and how disappointed you are with things all the time

Chris 04-04-2022 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36118146)
I am not talking about the visual and aesthetics if Discovery, i am talking about the tone/attitude/behaviour of Pike. I loved who he was (is) and i want to see continuity. It is as if he is a completely different character in that trailer.

I don’t think he is - and I think Anson Mount is too accomplished an actor for that to happen. There’s nothing in that trailer that wasn’t in range for the character as seen in Discovery. They’re just dealing with different material. In Discovery, Pike’s enterprise was a sub-plot in a story arc dealing with an existential threat. That’s always going to tilt the material towards the grim. But it would be a mistake to draw too complete a conclusion about what sort of Pike we’re going to get just from that, or even to assume that’s how he *should* be. We’d end up with something a bit two dimensional in that case.

Paul 05-04-2022 00:43

Well I guess we'll enjoy it again, while some sulk in the corner, again. :D

pip08456 05-04-2022 00:49

Perhaps it's me being a bit older now but if I don't like something I just don't watch it, I don't complain if others do.

I tried Discovery S1 being a Star Trek fan but didn't like it so didn't bother any more. I gave up about halfway through IIRC.

I have hopes for ST New Worlds. If I like it , I'll watch it, if I don't I won't juast as I stopped watching Suoergirl when it more pc/\woke orientated rather than story.

Bottom line, if you like it watch it. If you don't the don't whatever is said on a discussion forum like this won't cahnge anything. We all know what Generals realism consitutes and also others disagree, so what why keep harping on?

I don't see the point.

GrimUpNorth 05-04-2022 22:33

I'm looking forward to it.

Can't say it happens too often, but on this I'm with Chris - it looks like they're trying to revisit the feel of TOS and if they manage to do that it'll be a classic.

Don't know how many series they're planning but I hope when the do call it a day they've managed to go right through to when Pike's covered in porridge and in the prototype Davros chair.

Paul 06-04-2022 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36118233)
... in the prototype Davros chair.

:D

Mick 06-04-2022 15:33

Looks good - great fan of the Discovery time line, so this should be just as good.