Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

jonbxx 12-10-2021 09:19

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36097121)
But it wasn’t, I once again took of my mask as soon as sat down, and didn’t put it back on until I got off.

Pretty shocking that Jet2 cabin crew aren't following company procedures if they don't ask passengers to wear masks at all at any point. Makes we wonder what other company procedures they might want to pick and choose that they want to follow.

Of course, if they asked over the PA and people ignored this, then those passengers are breaking the law

jfman 12-10-2021 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36097156)
Pretty shocking that Jet2 cabin crew aren't following company procedures if they don't ask passengers to wear masks at all at any point. Makes we wonder what other company procedures they might want to pick and choose that they want to follow.

Of course, if they asked over the PA and people ignored this, then those passengers are breaking the law

It’s not the law to wear a face covering on a flight from England. Once they are in the air there’s not much they can do - Jet2 aren’t going to want to land the plane and disrupt hundreds of passengers for something they can’t point to a legislative grounding for.

jonbxx 12-10-2021 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36097158)
It’s not the law to wear a face covering on a flight from England. Once they are in the air there’s not much they can do - Jet2 aren’t going to want to land the plane and disrupt hundreds of passengers for something they can’t point to a legislative grounding for.

It is the law to obey a lawful command from the captain or, by delegation, the cabin crew however. All covered by Air Navigation Order (ANO) 2016. See article 244;

Quote:

Every person in an aircraft must obey all lawful commands which the pilot in command of that aircraft may give for the purpose of securing the safety of the aircraft and of persons or property carried in the aircraft, or the safety, efficiency or regularity of air navigation.

mrmistoffelees 12-10-2021 11:38

Londons NYE fireworks won't be held on the Thames this year (again)

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/12/londo...05&ai=15406333

jfman 12-10-2021 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36097160)
It is the law to obey a lawful command from the captain or, by delegation, the cabin crew however. All covered by Air Navigation Order (ANO) 2016. See article 244;

Is it a lawful command?

The Government removed the requirement from regulations and their guidance now simply recommends it. If the intent was for this to be the law it could have remained the law.

I suspect Jet2 would be keen to avoid the courts/risk to their reputation to establish case law around it. Especially if you could take your mask of and theoretically nurse a couple of cans of Heineken for the journey.

jonbxx 12-10-2021 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36097162)
Is it a lawful command?

The Government removed the requirement from regulations and their guidance now simply recommends it. If the intent was for this to be the law it could have remained the law.

I suspect Jet2 would be keen to avoid the courts/risk to their reputation to establish case law around it. Especially if you could take your mask of and theoretically nurse a couple of cans of Heineken for the journey.

True, but IATA mandates mask use when travelling by air (link) and airlines will follow those rules. It's not against the law to mandate mask wearing so it would be a lawful command.

1andrew1 12-10-2021 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097143)
Worth a read only if you subscribe to the FT.

All I can see is 10 lines of waffle there that simply state it was a 'failure' with nothing at all to back it up. So why exactly was it a 'failure' ?

---------- Post added at 02:17 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Edit: A far better link, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58876089

Agreed.

Performed well
• Ability of the NHS to absorb the pressures COVID placed on it.
• Rapid deployment of Nightingale hospitals.
• Decision to pre-order vaccines even before trials had proved their effectiveness.
• 100,000 tests target.

Performed badly
• Decisions on lockdowns and social distancing during the early weeks of the pandemic - and the advice that led to them - "rank as one of the most important public health failures the United Kingdom has ever experienced".
• Failure to believe that the British public would accept lockdown helped delay one from being implemented, despite evidence that the NHS was going to be overwhelmed with cases.
• Decision to abandon testing for COVID in the community early on was a mistake that "cost many lives".
• Failing to prioritise social care and discharging people from hospitals into care homes "led to many thousands of deaths".
• Robust border controls were needed sooner.
• “Serious deficiencies" in communication within government and between central and local government.

From https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...y-mps-12431778

nffc 12-10-2021 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36097162)
Is it a lawful command?

Yes, they only need to serve food (or for you to open a bottle of water you bought in the airport) for you to take it off anyway.

And I'm not the mask's greatest fan but surely if you wanted to you could argue it as a safety consideration protecting the other passengers if someone has the virus.

TheDaddy 12-10-2021 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36097167)
Agreed.

Performed well
• Ability of the NHS to absorb the pressures COVID placed on it.
• Rapid deployment of Nightingale hospitals.
• Decision to pre-order vaccines even before trials had proved their effectiveness.
• 100,000 tests target.

Performed badly
• Decisions on lockdowns and social distancing during the early weeks of the pandemic - and the advice that led to them - "rank as one of the most important public health failures the United Kingdom has ever experienced".
• Failure to believe that the British public would accept lockdown helped delay one from being implemented, despite evidence that the NHS was going to be overwhelmed with cases.
• Decision to abandon testing for COVID in the community early on was a mistake that "cost many lives".
• Failing to prioritise social care and discharging people from hospitals into care homes "led to many thousands of deaths".
• Robust border controls were needed sooner.
• “Serious deficiencies" in communication within government and between central and local government.

From https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...y-mps-12431778

No mention of ppe or test and trace :rofl:

Bozo picked a great time for his holiday,,,

Damien 12-10-2021 14:21

The delay for the initial lockdown was a huge blunder in retrospect. Not only the deaths but also how long it then took to recover in getting case numbers down. It's only a couple of weeks but it was costly.

I don't think it was an unreasonable assumption that lockdown would not be tolerated though.

Sephiroth 12-10-2021 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36097170)
No mention of ppe or test and trace :rofl:

Bozo picked a great time for his holiday,,,

I like to see fair play even if I don't like Boris' leadership.

The man must be exhausted; he was in intensive care last year with Covid; he's just had a kid; he "runs" the country and has been to the USA very recently (jet lag and all that).

What should he have been doing so urgently right now? I know you'll be tempted to provide a long list but actually his absence has hindered nothing.

pip08456 12-10-2021 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36097171)
The delay for the initial lockdown was a huge blunder in retrospect. Not only the deaths but also how long it then took to recover in getting case numbers down. It's only a couple of weeks but it was costly.

I don't think it was an unreasonable assumption that lockdown would not be tolerated though.

Everyone can look at things in retrospect and decide hindsight is a wonderful thing. Foresight though is another matter, the Government relied on SAGE which obviously didn't have it.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...Covid-19__.pdf

Agreed but TheDaddy doesn't look at things the same way as you or I. I also can't remember any of the opposition objecting to the route the incumbant Government was taking at the time.

Hugh 12-10-2021 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36097173)
I like to see fair play even if I don't like Boris' leadership.

The man must be exhausted; he was in intensive care last year with Covid; he's just had a kid; he "runs" the country and has been to the USA very recently (jet lag and all that).

What should he have been doing so urgently right now? I know you'll be tempted to provide a long list but actually his absence has hindered nothing.

I’m not worried about him being in Marbs on holiday - I’m more worried about him coming back… :D

Anyway, the hospital was over 18 months ago (as was the baby), and I’m sure the 7 hour flight from the West Coast was (at least) in Business Class comfort, which strongly reduces the jet lag (lie-flat beds and all that), and if "running" the country is so exhausting, he may wish to examine his options… ;)

(I actually have no issue with our Leaders having holidays)

1andrew1 12-10-2021 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36097171)

People on this Forum and elsewhere were calling for an earlier lockdown at the time, if I remember correctly. Certainly there were calls at the time for the March 10th Liverpool v Atletico Madrid match not being played in front of spectators when Madrid itself was locked down.

jfman 12-10-2021 16:31

There was heavy reliance upon the “cultural differences” card for a lot of exceptional decision making.