Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Being a carer (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711730)

Hom3r 22-02-2023 15:37

Being a carer

As you may know, July last year my dad had a perforated ulcer of the bowel, he spent 3 months in hospital (10 in ICU and 4 HTU) several times my sister and me were waiting for that call.

But he's a stubborn old git and pulled through, I had to remove his bed and alter the room and paint the walls, he got a hospital type bed and a chair, he came home on the 26th October, but was confined to upstairs as the loo is there.

Since then, we've had a ramp to the front door, a wider front door that opens outwards and a stair lift.

I have just been swapped from Universal Credit to Carers Allowance, which means that the DWP leave me alone. I only just got this now he has Attendance Allowance.

What annoys me is that I have to hunt for what benefits we are entitled to, I remember years ago they told you.

So now I get less that the tax I used to pay in my previous job.

But my dad comes first.

I did say to my sister the other week that I needed more help, and she has, and on Tuesdays if she doesn't have to go into the office she comes to ours and I go to the "Men's Shed" which is a charity I'm involved in.

My Nephew and Nieces took me axe throwing at Lakeside which helped

denphone 22-02-2023 16:09

Re: Being a carer

Being a carer for a loved one is a extremely hard job as l have a carer myself and in my wider family my Dad cares for my Mum and my cousin cares for his Mum.

For the jobs a carer does and its a damned hard job without much respite they get a pittance to be perfectly honest.

joglynne 22-02-2023 17:34

I have the utmost respect for anyone who becomes a carer. The money you get is a pittance and you need to grab hold of any other offers of help you can get. I cared for my father for several before he died so was interested to have a look around to see if things had changed at all since then. Found the following sites which you may find of interest. xxx

https://www.carersfirst.org.uk/help-...ts-for-carers/

https://www.carersuk.org/

https://carers.org/

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social...es-and-forums/

Mr K 22-02-2023 17:42

Carers can only hope, that the care is there when it comes to their turn to need it. The state increasingly isn't going to provide, and are reliant on families. All very well if you have family, or aren't the last left.

Taf 22-02-2023 19:21

£69.70 for a MINIMUM 35-hour week is hardly decent recompense for being a Carer. And even that stops once you start to draw your State Pension.

And that much-fabled thing "Respite Care" has never been available for my wife and I over the past (almost) 30 years.

Hom3r 23-02-2023 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36146684)
£69.70 for a MINIMUM 35-hour week is hardly decent recompense for being a Carer. And even that stops once you start to draw your State Pension.

And that much-fabled thing "Respite Care" has never been available for my wife and I over the past (almost) 30 years.

As it's a 24/7 job, I worked it out at roughly at 47p per hour.

So you can guess I'm angry at all these strikes for more money, and those saying they need food banks I suggest not having holidays, I ain't had one since 2019. Or stop going out for meals and quit smoking.

Taf 23-02-2023 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36146808)

Luckily, we can each manage a couple of hours to ourselves most days, but it wasn't like that at the start. We were run ragged day-in, day-out.

Quote:

... I suggest not having holidays, I ain't had one since 2019.

Ours was in 2005.

amyjones 06-03-2023 13:36

I also used to be a carer for my elder sister..i can understand the pain behind it. I really respect all the carers from my bottom of heart..

Halcyon 06-03-2023 15:45

What you are doing is amazing and I know you are doing it out of love but do make sure you get some time for you too.

livelysprite 07-04-2023 11:58

Quote:

So you can guess I'm angry at all these strikes for more money, and those saying they need food banks I suggest not having holidays, I ain't had one since 2019. Or stop going out for meals and quit smoking.

You should get carers allowance plus income support and carers premium. If you live in Scotland you also get a carer supplement. You might have to attend work focused interviews while claiming income support but just tell them you are not looking for work. Income support is being moved to universal credit and there will be no work focused inteviews for carers on universal credit.

Let me check my bank statement:

DWP carer allowance £285.85 per month (you can get this weekly)

DWP income support + care premium £92.30 a week (will only show on bank statement as IS)

social-security-cas (Scotland) £245.70 twice a year (going up to £270.50 in 2023)

Taf 07-04-2023 14:53

If you are in receipt of Carers Allowance, you don't have to be actively looking for work.

One of the conditions for carer's allowance is that you must not earn more than £132 a week (in 2022/23). This includes money from employment and self-employment, for example, if you have a part-time job. Money you get from a private or occupational pension, however, is not counted as earnings.

But if you have to pay someone to care for your charge, that can be offset from your earnings.

And beware, as soon as you start receiving your State Pension, Carers Allowance stops. As do many other Benefits tied to Carers Allowance.

livelysprite 07-04-2023 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36149482)
If you are in receipt of Carers Allowance, you don't have to be actively looking for work.

One of the conditions for carer's allowance is that you must not earn more than £132 a week (in 2022/23). This includes money from employment and self-employment, for example, if you have a part-time job. Money you get from a private or occupational pension, however, is not counted as earnings.

But if you have to pay someone to care for your charge, that can be offset from your earnings.

And beware, as soon as you start receiving your State Pension, Carers Allowance stops. As do many other Benefits tied to Carers Allowance.

You don't have to be actively looking for work but if you claim income support in addition to carers allowance then you must attend work focused interviews.

Taf 07-04-2023 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelysprite (Post 36149486)
You don't have to be actively looking for work but if you claim income support in addition to carers allowance then you must attend work focused interviews.

I received a letter annually stating that I didn't need to be actively seeking work due to receiving Carers Allowance.

"Carer's Allowance can also affect other benefits you might be already getting – so you might be paid less in another benefit. It will count as income if you're getting Universal Credit. But you might also qualify for extra Universal Credit because you're a carer."

Hom3r 09-04-2023 09:57

I had a heart to heart with my sister yesterday, we are both under a lot of stress, on top of what we had with our mum and dad, she had her daughter Scoloisis and Anorexia.

She helps when she can and if she is working form home on Tuesday's she sit with my dad and I'll go to the Men's Shed without needing to listen out for the phone.

I will do days out and an overnighter if the journey is too far.

I do get UC & CA with the UC top up.

Tinky 10-04-2023 09:14

Mr T is now my carer I was told yesterday my condition is never going to improve, and I will have to suffer this pain for the rest of my days. We pay a mobile hairdresser and foot lady, and now we will have to employ a gardener and cleaner. So I am going to try and download the form to claim attendance allowance. Any tips on completeing the form or other claims I can make?