Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Windows 11 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710168)

pip08456 31-08-2021 15:40

Re: Windows 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36091491)
windows 11 offically release on October 5

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...-on-october-5/

I'll still stay on win7 while I can get updates. Then-I'm off to Linux.

Jaymoss 31-08-2021 15:46

The Flighting info they have been sending out is what we are on in the Dev and Beta group are close to RTM but we still have not seen Android Apps in the Windows Store. I currently have build 168 on 2 SSDs one set to flight Dev and the other Beta. I am hoping to see the Android apps soon

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

I see point 7 gives me hope

Quote:

Windows 11 comes with a new Microsoft Store rebuilt with an all-new design making it easier to search and discover your favorite apps, games, shows, and movies in one trusted location. We look forward to continuing our journey to bring Android apps to Windows 11 and the Microsoft Store through our collaboration with Amazon and Intel; this will start with a preview for Windows Insiders over the coming months.

BenMcr 31-08-2021 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36091505)
I am hoping to see the Android apps soon

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

I see point 7 gives me hope

The problem with that is the Android Apps are from the Amazon App Store. You won't get any apps that are just in the Play Store, and as Google move to a new app bundle format, it'll be interesting to see how easy and cost effective it will be for companies to publish apps in two different ways in addition to two app stores

https://android-developers.googleblo...undles-is.html

Quote:

To bring these benefits to more users and focus on modern Android distribution that benefits all developers, Google Play will start requiring new apps to be published with the Android App Bundle starting August 2021. This will replace the APK as the standard publishing format.

Jaymoss 31-08-2021 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36091507)
The problem with that is the Android Apps are from the Amazon App Store. You won't get any apps that are just in the Play Store, and as Google move to a new app bundle format, it'll be interesting to see how easy and cost effective it will be for companies to publish apps in two different ways in addition to two app stores

https://android-developers.googleblo...undles-is.html

I do not foresee an issue tbh, you can sideload and there are literally billions of apks out there in the wild not on the app store you can play with.

Plus I am sure devs who want to publish on Play could easily enough put their code in an APK also

Dave42 31-08-2021 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36091503)
I'll still stay on win7 while I can get updates. Then-I'm off to Linux.

well if you got the ESU bypass you got to Jan 2023 for updates in windows 7 i am running windows 11 have been for a while no problems what so ever looking forward to official release and windows 10 is supported to aleast 2025 don't think many will go to Linux but we will see

which Linux do you prefer Pip only really tried Ubuntu and Linux mint here while they both fine they will never beat windows IMHO

Carth 31-08-2021 16:19

The only Windows updates I allow anywhere near are the ones for Windows Defender. My Win 7 (SP1) is running fine & dandy, although gaming is becoming an issue . . . not necessarily due to the OS software, but due to the extravagant and expensive hardware now required to run them.

Gaming (older classics) on Linux is coming on at a nice pace, for anything else there's a PS4 or PS5 to look forward to ;)

pip08456 31-08-2021 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36091511)
well if you got the ESU bypass you got to Jan 2023 for updates in windows 7 i am running windows 11 have been for a while no problems what so ever looking forward to official release and windows 10 is supported to aleast 2025 don't think many will go to Linux but we will see

which Linux do you prefer Pip only really tried Ubuntu and Linux mint here while they both fine they will never beat windows IMHO

Yes I have the ESU bypass. Linux version I am looking at will possibly be Zorin (will be testing it though first) or pehaps mint, haven't decided yet.

https://zorin.com/os/

vincerooney 25-09-2021 23:29

hearing some good things about windows 11. is everyone going to get it on 5th October?

Jaymoss 25-09-2021 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36094581)
hearing some good things about windows 11. is everyone going to get it on 5th October?

it is not being rolled out to everyone with a compatible machine on the 5th it will take a few months. You could force it or download an ISO. I assume it will be the same as with 10 and you will need to do an in place upgrade to get a digital licence but nothing stopping a clean install after

It always used to be the rule in the IT community to not upgrade an OS and tbh I still think it is better to clean install and start again after you have the licence

Dave42 25-09-2021 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36094581)

it being rolled out but you be to download media creation tool to get ISO if not offered it on the 5th i been running it since first beta running very good indeed here

Hugh 25-09-2021 23:47

I’ve been offered it already (Windows Insider Programme) as a regular update - thinking about it….

Dave42 25-09-2021 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36094587)
I’ve been offered it already (Windows Insider Programme) as a regular update - thinking about it….

you could always try it and roll back within 10 days if you dont like it

Jaymoss 25-09-2021 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36094587)

I reverted my Beta Channel build to Windows 10 ready to run the upgrade so I get the licence. I also have a Dev channel build which is beyond the RC build that the Beta Channel have. Stil waiting on the Android part of it which will come to the dev channel first I believe. Disappointed it is not with us for launch

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36094588)
you could always try it and roll back within 10 days if you dont like it

I always keep disk images before I do anything like that

vincerooney 26-09-2021 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36094590)
I reverted my Beta Channel build to Windows 10 ready to run the upgrade so I get the licence. I also have a Dev channel build which is beyond the RC build that the Beta Channel have. Stil waiting on the Android part of it which will come to the dev channel first I believe. Disappointed it is not with us for launch

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:54 ----------

I always keep disk images before I do anything like that

Ah if you do the windows insider program and get a beta version of windows 11 its not an official license?

Also what are the pros for android apps being on windows 11? I've heard about it but just wondering how ground breaking its going to be? Had twitter and whatsapp already on windows 10 etc

Hugh 26-09-2021 11:48

1 Attachment(s)
My notification is an icon on the bottom right hand corner of the screen which states
Quote:

Upgrade to Windows 11 is ready for your PC
And if I right click it and take the option "open Windows update", I get this screen https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...8&d=1632653446