Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

nffc 30-11-2021 17:26

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36103640)
3 jabs /masks /sanitizing /vaccine passports /blaah blaah blaah .............somethings not working and it's not the brakes on an old jalopy

None of them are 100% effective.

I think the stats against Delta show that 3 doses are 95% effective against infection. Omicron may well be less - there was a suggestion of 40% but this fact isn't yet known. That will put protection to a similar level as 2 doses against Delta.

Masks only have any effect at all on people who have the virus, and ultimately as people who have the virus, have symptoms, and have tested positive should be isolating, it's really only those who haven't tested positive and don't have symptoms i.e. those who don't realise who it works on, and the effect is to protect others from the person who's wearing them. Even then that protection isn't going to be perfect as (less so for surgical masks) the face coverings people tend to wear made out of paper or cloth will presumably still let a fair amount through.

Sanitising is to stop you getting virus on your hands and touching other things, if you can't wash them. It's useful but let's not forget it doesn't kill all viruses.

Vaccine passports don't really prove a great deal in terms of not letting people into a setting if they don't have covid. But, as it reduces transmission by being vaccinated, like everything else it slows it down.

Pierre 30-11-2021 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nffc (Post 36103639)
It's also a bit daft as always there are inconsistencies.

There’s an understatement.

But it matters not, the government and media have scared the Sheeple, and they are compliant.

Regardless of what bollocks they throw at the Sheeple, and illogical the instructions, the Sheeple lap it up and obey.

Cognitive Dissonance - everybody can see non of it makes sense and there is no evidence to support the government edicts. Yet they comply.

Carth 30-11-2021 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103642)

But it matters not, the government and media have scared the Sheeple, and they are compliant.

Regardless of what bollocks they throw at the Sheeple, and illogical the instructions, the Sheeple lap it up and obey.

Cognitive Dissonance - everybody can see non of it makes sense and there is no evidence to support the government edicts. Yet they comply.

Government Covid Emergency Meeting:

Right, what do we know about this Omicron then?
Bugger all really, it's just guesswork and supposition at the moment
Christ we can't release that as a statement
We can if we mention further testing and investigation, add in the usual 'possibilities of', 'might have', could be, 'upto', and include some random percentage figures.
Yeah, I think that will work again, what about preventative measures?
Easy, we continue to rabbit about face masks and hand washing, tell people to have 2 tests a day, and self isolate if you feel a little chilly.
Will the public go along with that?
Who cares about the public, the media will grab it with both hands and spend 3 weeks with it as major headline, does our job for us.
Brilliant . .
OK, onto the next item in the agenda, stripper for this years Crimbo party, we obviously can't have Cummings again - even though he was fantastic 2 years ago - and the only other volunteers this year are Grove, Corbyn, Prince Edward, and Farage . . .

Hugh 30-11-2021 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36103640)
3 jabs /masks /sanitizing /vaccine passports /blaah blaah blaah .............somethings not working and it's not the brakes on an old jalopy

or your "logic"…

Hugh 30-11-2021 19:41

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103642)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103568)
If it doesn’t say it came from Wuhan lab then it’s a deflection piece.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...3&d=1638301267

Taf 30-11-2021 20:23

If omicron turns out to be a major disaster heading our way, inactivity by those in charge would be attacked as vehemently as the return of a few rules to try to limit the possible danger.

Just waiting for the science to determine omicron's effects are going to be negligible or significant is just not thinkable.

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

An estimated 92.8% of the adult population in England, 91.4% in Wales, 93.3% in Northern Ireland and 92.5% in Scotland tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies in the week beginning 1 November 2021.

Across the four UK countries, 93.1% to 95.8% of adults had received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and 83.5% to 89.8% of adults had received at least two doses.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ights/vaccines

Pierre 30-11-2021 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36103649)

I can see the relevance of your witty little retort to the second quote. But not the first.

Oh, and Chris and several others have questioned it, and that’s fine. Also it’s not really a conspiracy theory anymore is it?

https://www.ft.com/content/923e0256-...e-64c066b8b70b

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36103638)
Or...

It has reduced what could have been a higher number of infections.

That's like saying, after you see a car crash, "told you brakes were pointless!"... :erm:

Could. I presume you have the data.

1andrew1 30-11-2021 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36103650)
If omicron turns out to be a major disaster heading our way, inactivity by those in charge would be attacked as vehemently as the return of a few rules to try to limit the possible danger.

Just waiting for the science to determine omicron's effects are going to be negligible or significant is just not thinkable.

It's sensible risk management with no downside apart from offending a small, vocal minority.

Pierre 30-11-2021 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36103654)
It's sensible risk management with no downside apart from offending a small, vocal minority.

Or over precautionary and contradictory and without any evidentiary basis.

Mr K 30-11-2021 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36103612)
££££££££££

Billy Bunter says we should party on! Dr Jenny Harries, chief executive of the UK's Health Security Agency says we should exercise caution. Who to believe? The muppet who ignored his own advice , caught covid and nearly died, or a medical expert ? Tough one.

papa smurf 30-11-2021 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36103656)
Billy Bunter says we should party on! Dr Jenny Harries, chief executive of the UK's Health Security Agency says we should exercise caution. Who to believe? The muppet who ignored his own advice , caught covid and nearly died, or a medical expert ? Tough one.

i don't believe he nearly died i think he got a bit out of breath and sweaty and used it to his advantage, I've come to realize every thing about bojo is a lie.

Hugh 30-11-2021 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36103637)
All that mask wearing hand washing and vaccine passports etc hasn't worked then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36103638)
Or...

It has reduced what could have been a higher number of infections.

That's like saying, after you see a car crash, "told you brakes were pointless!"... :erm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103652)
Could. I presume you have the data.

I stated an opinion as a possibility, PS stated an opinion as a fact - strange you didn’t ask him for his data.

My proposition was based on the scientific evidence that immunisations and masks reduce infection and transmission, his is based on ???

Re the Wuhan lab-leak theory - the article from May (and others like it) states it’s considered as an possibility, and shouldn’t be ruled out until evidence shows otherwise, not, as you have stated, the only option; that’s the difference between looking for facts and a conspiracy theory.

Hope this helps?

Mr K 30-11-2021 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36103657)
i don't believe he nearly died i think he got a bit out of breath and sweaty and used it to his advantage, I've come to realize every thing about bojo is a lie.

Better late than never, but he does have a track record of being sacked for telling porky pies so can't be a surprise.
I predict another sacking within the year from his own party.

Pierre 01-12-2021 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36103658)
Hope this helps?

Not really.

Maggy 01-12-2021 09:04

Why not?

Hugh 01-12-2021 09:56

An anagram of Omicrom B is, wait for it, NO CRIMBO!

This revelation is terrifying!

Of course, for this anagram to work, you have to add a B to Omicrom which nobody naming the variant actually did but that's just to put us, the little people, off the scent!

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE! DON'T LAP IT UP AND OBEY!

Julian 01-12-2021 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36103672)
An anagram of Omicrom B is, wait for it, NO CRIMBO!

This revelation is terrifying!

Of course, for this anagram to work, you have to add a B to Omicrom which nobody naming the variant actually did but that's just to put us, the little people, off the scent!

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

An actual anagram of Omicron is moronic :erm:

tweetiepooh 01-12-2021 10:11

Come on folks. At the moment there is a new threat from a variant of a virus that will get here and will spread and there are some currently mild suggestions to try to slow spread down until we get a better picture. If nothing was done and it proves to be more transmissible and more "deadly" then the government would be in trouble. If they shut everything down again they would be in trouble. Tentative evidence suggests it is transmissible, it may evade vaccine immunity but may not cause extreme acute symptoms but until that is known it's better to do something than nothing.

1andrew1 01-12-2021 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103655)
Or over precautionary and contradictory and without any evidentiary basis.

Until we know more about the virus then it seems a proportionate response to me. No piece of Covid-19 law is perfect but this should not be a reason for adopting a light-touch approach.

pip08456 01-12-2021 10:57

2 Doctors have Omicron, one who recently returned from London is believed to have contracted it here. My be more widespread than first thought.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...ant-1.10428042

Carth 01-12-2021 11:25

I'm fully expecting cases to pop up all over, many who have had no contact with people who have traveled from abroad.

Another thing, if the symptoms (where present) are quite mild, many people may already have it and pass it off as a winter cold.

papa smurf 01-12-2021 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36103682)
I'm fully expecting cases to pop up all over, many who have had no contact with people who have traveled from abroad.

Another thing, if the symptoms (where present) are quite mild, many people may already have it and pass it off as a winter cold.

yes that could be correct but the headless chickens will still run around chirping that the world is going to end.

mrmistoffelees 01-12-2021 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36103683)
yes that could be correct but the headless chickens will still run around chirping that the world is going to end.

Who is running around like a headless chicken ?

There's some sensationalism (as there is in most things) from various parts of the media.

WHO, NERVTAG et other scientists are urging a degree of precaution until we understand what's going on.

Politicians appear to be undermining that advice.

We will see who was right soon enough i guess.

Mick 01-12-2021 11:44

This thread has now surpassed 8K posts and is therefore now closed, a brand new thread has been opened instead:-

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33710629