Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Local Elections 2022 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710998)

Damien 04-05-2022 22:26

Local Elections 2022

Local elections tomorrow. You can find out if you're area is up to vote here: https://www.electoralcommission.org....on-information

The latest attempt to poll the result is here: https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2022/0...cast-for-2022/

Although local elections are hard to poll it has Labour making modest gains, the Tories falling pretty much everywhere, the SNP doing a bit poorly and the Liberal Democrats and Greens doing well. The overall pattern seems to be Labour recovering in places like Wales and Scotland, gaining even relative to a high baseline in the South but falling in the North.

Although that's just some polling. Sky News have Labour doing a bit better than the New Statesman one but the same picture of Labour making uneven gains weighted to the South and the Tories falling.

Maggy 05-05-2022 08:58

Re: Local Elections 2022

Well I've got my polling card but I've received no literature from ANY of the candidates.Complete fail.

General Maximus 05-05-2022 09:16

I have had fliers through from Labour the Conservatives

heero_yuy 05-05-2022 09:22

We voted first thing. Polling station was very quiet.

Halcyon 05-05-2022 09:26

No fliers from any of the parties involved.

I dont think many people even know there are elctions taking place.

General Maximus 05-05-2022 09:28

yeah i have always found the turnout out for local elections to be minimal compared to general. I think last time it was something like 35%. The problem we have in my area is that voting is very consistent, the result is always the same so I think many people give and don't bother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36121174)
I dont think many people even know there are elections taking place.

i had a polling card through the door a couple of weeks ago

tweetiepooh 05-05-2022 09:30

We have fliers from Lib Dems - don't vote Labour we are the only ones that can beat the Tories.
And the Tories - vote for us.

It would be unsurprising to see the Tories do badly, councils are a safe way to protest vote and things are not good for many people in many areas.

Hugh 05-05-2022 09:32

I voted (by post) for our current Councillor - he is very active and supportive in the local community, and I wouldn’t want him to suffer because of the National shenanigans.

General Maximus 05-05-2022 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36121178)
It would be unsurprising to see the Tories do badly, councils are a safe way to protest vote

I saw opinions last night that said the tories were going to suffer in terms of the number of seats but it isnt expected that they will lose control of many councils.

Pierre 05-05-2022 09:49

Likewise nothing around here, you wouldn’t even know there was an election taking place.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

The incumbent government nearly always to badly at local elections. Anything but an absolute whitewash for Labour, will be deemed a poor result.

jonbxx 05-05-2022 09:54

We have had quite a few visits this year from the Conservative and Liberal Democrat candidates and representatives as well as plenty of leaflets. Our council tends to wobble between Liberal Democrat and no overall control with the odd foray in to the Conservatives so it's fairly competitive here

tweetiepooh 05-05-2022 10:11

We too are LD/Tory swing area. My wife who tends to LD has read the leaflets and is likely to vote Tory on a couple of local issues important to her.

ianch99 05-05-2022 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36121188)
We too are LD/Tory swing area. My wife who tends to LD has read the leaflets and is likely to vote Tory on a couple of local issues important to her.

Although Riverpark is an LD own-goal, I think enough people will vote on principle and vote tactically to send a message to Conservative Central Office.

The local Tories are so aware of the toxic nature of the ruling Executive that are calling themselves 'Local Conservatives". Desperate stuff ..

Damien 05-05-2022 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36121181)
I saw opinions last night that said the tories were going to suffer in terms of the number of seats but it isnt expected that they will lose control of many councils.

Mostly because not all of any given council is up for election at one time. So in this election there are fewer seats for the Tories to defend.

tweetiepooh 05-05-2022 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36121193)
Although Riverpark is an LD own-goal, I think enough people will vote on principle and vote tactically to send a message to Conservative Central Office.

The local Tories are so aware of the toxic nature of the ruling Executive that are calling themselves 'Local Conservatives". Desperate stuff ..

The 2 issues she called out are parking charges and closure of the Andover Road. (Sorry folks elsewhere.)