Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Digital Phones (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712176)

vincerooney 26-09-2023 23:59

Digital Phones

Hi all,

So we're moving to digital phones in the autumn and away from analogue phones. Can i ask how this actually works?

We have one phone in the hall and another phone in my elderly mothers room. In my bedroom i have the hub.

I've been told we're going to get "adapters" but how will they work exactly? I've been told i can have a hub plugged into the hub and that'll work but i hate phones so it seems the hub is in the worse room for this digital switch over!

Mr K 27-09-2023 07:31

Re: Digital Phones

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36160750)
Hi all,

So we're moving to digital phones in the autumn and away from analogue phones. Can i ask how this actually works?

We have one phone in the hall and another phone in my elderly mothers room. In my bedroom i have the hub.

I've been told we're going to get "adapters" but how will they work exactly? I've been told i can have a hub plugged into the hub and that'll work but i hate phones so it seems the hub is in the worse room for this digital switch over!

When is an 'upgrade' not an upgrade, when VM are involved.. ( ditto the 360 tv box as aswell.....).

Afaik your phone will need to he plugged into the hub. Guess you could have one phone plugged and wireless handsets elsewhere. But why change anything? Insist VM come and do any extra wiring, they are the ones forcing this on you and you're the paying customer. If you need new handsets/wiring - they should pay.

Also this new set up won't work in a power cut, unlike analogue, progress eh?

Hugh 27-09-2023 08:10

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/dig...ice-switchover

Quote:

Connecting the adaptor to your phone

Connecting the adaptor to your phone
In order to continue using your home phone service, when it’s time to move over to our new digital voice service you will need to change the way it’s plugged in.

If you don’t take action, you will no longer be able to make or receive calls so it’s really important you look out for letters from us.

To switch over to our fibre network, you’ll need an adaptor to connect your home phone to your WiFi Hub.

Here’s how to do it:

On the day of your switchover, unplug the cable of your main phone, or base station if it’s a cordless phone, from the wall socket. If you have any other devices connected to this socket, or you use internal phone sockets around your home, please give us a call.

Grab the adaptor we sent and plug it into the top grey port (port 1) on the back of the WiFi Hub

Plug the end of the telephone cable you unplugged from the wall socket into the adaptor

Wait a couple of minutes for a dial tone, then make a test call

Ta da – your new services should be set up and ready to use

---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36160752)
When is an 'upgrade' not an upgrade, when VM are involved.. ( ditto the 360 tv box as aswell.....).

Afaik your phone will need to he plugged into the hub. Guess you could have one phone plugged and wireless handsets elsewhere. But why change anything? Insist VM come and do any extra wiring, they are the ones forcing this on you and you're the paying customer. If you need new handsets/wiring - they should pay.

Or, you could have tried to answer his question…

Mr K 27-09-2023 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36160753)
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/dig...ice-switchover

---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 ----------

Or, you could have tried to answer his question…

Those instructions don't really help the OP if he doesn't want to change the location of his hub /phones. Where as I gave him a couple of practical solutions :)

tweetiepooh 27-09-2023 10:29

If you have sockets like you do (and us) then let VM know and they will send someone round to "wire" in the sockets to the hub.
This was on the communication or will be when they send the adaptor. There are other situation you will need an engineer also. I found it quite clear really.

Paul 27-09-2023 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36160752)

Insist VM come and do any extra wiring, they are the ones forcing this on you and you're the paying customer. If you need new handsets/wiring - they should pay.

The usual trolling from you, this is not a VM specific decision.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trans...ital-landlines

nashville 28-09-2023 00:11

Our Hub is in a bedroom , so we had to get a phone put in there, which we never had before, the main bedroom and living room already had phones, so I had to buy a set of three phones, If there is a power cut I believe they will not work, but you can get an emergency phone that works with a plug for disabled or the elderly, who do not have mobiles, I think I am correct,

Dingbat 28-09-2023 11:21

Where is your main ‘master’ socket for the phone line, from which the extensions have been wired? Is it near the router?

nashville 28-09-2023 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingbat (Post 36160825)
Where is your main ‘master’ socket for the phone line, from which the extensions have been wired? Is it near the router?

The Main socket is in the bedroom that did not have a phone before the change ,

v0id 03-10-2023 13:05

My 'main' socket wasn't moved at all when VM came to sort it out, they plugged the battery back-up phone into the hub, and left my master socket where my DECT base station is plugged into, where it has always been

Itshim 18-10-2023 20:46

Meant to switch tomorrow , guess it won't hurt to wait a week or so, can't complain about aii the warnings.

vincerooney 19-10-2023 16:08

Mines coming tomorrow. So I assume the phone in my elderly mothers bedroom will have to move into my room as I have the hub and the engineer will need to do something to get a working phone downstairs ?

tweetiepooh 20-10-2023 09:56

As in my post above, the engineer wired our existing sockets into the SH5 and the existing sockets carried on working. The only change we subsequently made was to plug our call blocker into the hub and then the phone line into that so now the blocker works for all phones in the house.
SH5 -> blocker -> house wiring
We didn't need to move any phone or get an extra one.

Mr K 20-10-2023 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36162319)
As in my post above, the engineer wired our existing sockets into the SH5 and the existing sockets carried on working. The only change we subsequently made was to plug our call blocker into the hub and then the phone line into that so now the blocker works for all phones in the house.
SH5 -> blocker -> house wiring
We didn't need to move any phone or get an extra one.

See how well it works when your interweb is next down (and hope it's not when you really need your phone line).

vincerooney 20-10-2023 23:44

my mum is in her late 70s and what virgin media offered was very poor. my mum spends her time in bed and downstairs. the hub is in my back bedroom. even putting it in my mums room wouldn't have helped as she'd be lost if she went downstairs

my mum is potentially vulnerable to strokes so i want a phone in her bedroom and the hall or preferably the sitting room where she sits.

i'm back in work Monday and i'm terrified the landlines can go down whenever now the "switch has occurred". virgin media didn't address any of my concerns though the engineer was kind and admitted the issues.

can someone please help me?

if i get this https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT3110-Nuis...35&sr=8-6&th=1

will it work if i plug it into the new extension from my hub? i just desperately want to make sure my mum has a phone in her bedroom and one in the sitting room she can call if she needs me or an ambulance.

any advice appreciated

this is what i got today. thats it. for any elderly people alone this is a terrible worrying moment: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAE