Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The energy crisis (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710394)

jfman 22-09-2021 22:02

Re: Avro and Green Cease Trading

Privatise the profits, nationalise the losses. Capitalism in action.

Jaymoss 22-09-2021 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 36094073)
Some of the suppliers have already closed the option to apply for it this year. But I suggest people still apply with their energy company. It's a limited amount of funding they have, so be quick. It's a massive help.

Last year Avro did not even open their applications until October. I cannot apply till I have a new supplier anyway and there is a chance I may want to jump ship from them anyway. It is a nightmare

TheDaddy 22-09-2021 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36094075)
Privatise the profits, nationalise the losses. Capitalism in action.

Indeed and then leverage as much debt as possible on them, it's disgusting what we've allowed to happen

1andrew1 22-09-2021 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36094049)
I’m with “look after my bills” and just switch to Green last month. Luckily I got my credit rebate back from the previous supplier so I’m not out any money. The only decision I have to make now is to cancel my DD? Which I think I will do. I’m not going to get cut off. I’ll take a meter reading in the morning and cancel my DD and await further instructions.

You'll be hit in the pocket from your future gas and electricity provider as the previous deals are no longer out there. The market is a bit of a mess with UK gas companies disincentivised from storing gas, making the country vulnerable to supply reductions.

tweetiepooh 23-09-2021 16:47

The best deals I found searching would cost me over £600 more a year. And I'm on BG standard variable. 50% rise - no thanks. Before smart metre the gap would have been even bigger. That piece of junk added 30% to leccy bills.
We have a half container of coal, need logs though.

Paul 23-09-2021 19:05

I'm going to complete the move to Bulb for now.
The first payment they want is ridiculously low, so I'll go with that.

The comparison sites seem to indicate that while they are not strictly the best, the few slightly better ones all seem to be smaller companies.
(So most likely in equal danger of collapsing).

There is no exit fee so I can always move again if I find it advantagous to do so.

Taf 23-09-2021 19:53

All the emphasis is on gas prices, but electricity was about 5 times more expensive than gas a few weeks ago. And around 40% of the UK's electricity comes from gas.

And they want us to have gas-free homes, and electric cars?

1andrew1 23-09-2021 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36094187)
I'm going to complete the move to Bulb for now.
The first payment they want is ridiculously low, so I'll go with that.

The comparison sites seem to indicate that while they are not strictly the best, the few slightly better ones all seem to be smaller companies.
(So most likely in equal danger of collapsing).

There is no exit fee so I can always move again if I find it advantagous to do so.

Bulb might be to big to fail but it's a bit of a gamble - you could find the company nationalised and yourself back on a variable rate at today's prices.
https://inews.co.uk/news/energy-prov...-homes-1211216

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36094189)
All the emphasis is on gas prices, but electricity was about 5 times more expensive than gas a few weeks ago. And around 40% of the UK's electricity comes from gas.

I'm sure Johnson's hot air will keep us warm through the winter months. ;)

Mr K 23-09-2021 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36094194)
Bulb might be to big to fail but it's a bit of a gamble - you could find the company nationalised and yourself back on a variable rate at today's prices.
https://inews.co.uk/news/energy-prov...-homes-1211216

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

I'm sure Johnson's hot air will keep us warm through the winter months. ;)

Variable rates are cheaper than fixed rates atm.

It's all working very well, the private energy market, isn't it?
A good time to cut Universal Credit and increase taxes. Happy Xmas from the Tories plebs!

papa smurf 23-09-2021 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36094189)

i think that pipe dream just died.

Paul 23-09-2021 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36094194)

Hence ...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36094187)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36094202)
Variable rates are cheaper than fixed rates atm.

Yep, Ive noticed this on the deals & sites Ive checked.

1andrew1 23-09-2021 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36094211)
i think that pipe dream just died.

Well, given the news from BP today our options for powering cars are diminishing. Pedalo anyone? ;)

Pierre 23-09-2021 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36094214)
Well, given the news from BP today our options for powering cars are diminishing. Pedalo anyone? ;)

Plenty of ESSO, Shell and a few independents around here. I’ll be filling up tomorrow, no worries.

jfman 23-09-2021 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36094219)
Plenty of ESSO, Shell and a few independents around here. I’ll be filling up tomorrow, no worries.

I’m sure everyone will fill up tomorrow “just in case”.

That’s how runs on banks start.

Pierre 23-09-2021 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36094224)
I’m sure everyone will fill up tomorrow “just in case”.

That’s how runs on banks start.

Fair point, but the point I was making is that BP is not the only supplier and I haven’t heard any similar concerns from their peers.

However, I will pop into Tesco and buy a bulk load of toilet roll too, just in case