Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33612712)

Action Jackson 21-04-2007 09:38

Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

Quite often if I am downloading a lot of my stuff and maxing out my bandwidth on my PC, then I'll jump on my laptop and connect to my neighbours unprotected wireless router for a bit of web browsing.

Am I simply despicable and should hang my head in shame(with possible self-flogging) or am I just being a little bit sneaky and should actually pat myself on the back for showing great initiative?

I've been wrestling with this moral dilemma for quite some time. After all, the neighbour is a nice lady and probably deserves better, although her son clearly knows nothing about router security.

on in an hour! 21-04-2007 09:50

Re: Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

go for it action!! if theyre dumb enough not to password protect their router they dont deserve the cherished bandwith,dip your bread and more power to your elbow sir :D

Paul K 21-04-2007 10:04

Go for it. If the neighbour is so "nice" why are you helping yourself to her bandwidth? Surely helping her secure her network would be a better idea? Especially since you may find she doesn't mind you browsing the internet on her bandwidth as long as you help her keep her network secure.
Also controlling what you download and when would be a better option :erm:

Action Jackson 21-04-2007 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 34280871)
Go for it. If the neighbour is so "nice" why are you helping yourself to her bandwidth? Surely helping her secure her network would be a better idea? Especially since you may find she doesn't mind you browsing the internet on her bandwidth as long as you help her keep her network secure.
Also controlling what you download and when would be a better option :erm:

You're probably right, but don't blame me, blame Thatcher. She destroyed community spirit. :mad:

Actually, she's not bad looking for a woman in her late 40's(the neighbour I mean, not Thatcher, who is 145), so I'll have a think about your idea.

danielf 21-04-2007 10:32

It's a bit like saying 'I'll help myself to my neighbour's stereo as they're stupid enough to not lock their back door' isn't it? Then again, she's unlikely to miss the 'stolen' bandwidth.

nffc 21-04-2007 10:37

Surely the kid should know though, how old is he?

Also bear in mind unauthorised access to wifi is illegal... Some people in Redditch were prosecuted the other week for it - Paul's link.

Rockabilly Spike 21-04-2007 10:57

Would YOU like someone hijacking your TV connection and getting all your cable channels without your knowledge or paying you for it? You're gonna be ****ed off right?
Whoever owns the wifi network pays for it and unless you have an agreement with them, its defo wrong.

You're not borrowing bandwidth, you're stealing it cos once its gone its gone, tho there IS always more!

At the shop I work for we've been told that legally if someone admits they are buying a wireless adapter or laptop to knowingly access a wifi connection without permission, we should deny them a sale.
As we could be implicated "I told the guy in the PC shop what I was gonna do and he didnt tell me it was against the law" etc.

smucks 21-04-2007 11:04

Go for it, I was using one here that was not pretected and when I went across to have a word and put them right I was told to "**SS OFF your a hacker".
We have not spoke since and yes its still open, you can only help some of the folk some of the time.

papa smurf 21-04-2007 11:44

so if your neighbour broadcasts radio signals into your property ,why shouldn't you use them'he/she didn't seek your permision to fill your airspace with there radio waves..... pluss if its not encrypted shurly there not that bothered:)

Rockabilly Spike 21-04-2007 11:53

Did ANYONE seek the publics permission to fill the airspace with radio waves?
No one owns the airspace above my head do they?
So why can't I hear the music I wanna hear?

Its them voices again.....

kryogenik 21-04-2007 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockabilly Spike (Post 34280909)

At the shop I work for we've been told that legally if someone admits they are buying a wireless adapter or laptop to knowingly access a wifi connection without permission we should deny them a sale.
As we could be implicated

lol.
And has that ever happened to you? Seriously?

Rockabilly Spike 21-04-2007 13:09

Once sorta almost.

A girl asked me for a USB extension cable, at least 5 meters, preferably with a repeater on.
I asked just out of nosey-ness what she needed it for and she told me it was to dangle the USB wifi adapter out of her bedroom window to pickup next doors signal, I said she should watch what she's doing cos I was sure it was against the law but I sold her it anyways, then my employer asked some legal advice from a local law firm that we deal with, maintaining their network.

Sine then...nowt!
ha.

in retail ya gotta watch ya words cos ya never know who's a mystery shopper or from trading standards etc.
There was a pair of 14 year olds that were commissioned by our local Boys in Blue to go round asking if shops would sell them knives.

kryogenik 21-04-2007 13:19

Knives and Wi-Fi hardware.
Bit different!

I can imagine someone getting a rollocking for selling a knife to someone if they went on to use it in a crime, but not a laptop or a wireless network adaptor!
lmao.

Cobbydaler 21-04-2007 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryogenik (Post 34280994)
Knives and Wi-Fi hardware.
Bit different!

I can imagine someone getting a rollocking for selling a knife to someone if they went on to use it in a crime, but not a laptop or a wireless network adaptor!
lmao.

Yeah, but one of those HP blade servers... :Yikes:

Rockabilly Spike 21-04-2007 13:27

indeed but thats what the 'official' legal advice to us was.

Most people arent daft enough to admit what they're doing