Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   10 meg cable modem (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=51507)

aymski 21-08-2006 17:41

10 meg cable modem

Hi,

recently purchased 10mb broadband but they supplied me with webstar 2100 rev 1 which is not capable of recieving speeds greater than 5meg. They will eventually supply with right modem, in mean time i am looking for a wireless router capable of 10meg, which is best? i am new to dsl , been using adsl since it came out, ne advice, and place to buy appreciated

SnoopZ 21-08-2006 17:43

Re: 10 meg cable modem

Is it NTL 10mbit you're on? As you've posted in the Ntl section. The reason i ask is the Webstar isn't an NTL modem. I'd recommend the Linksys WRT54GS if you're on NTL.

[edit] i guess this needs to be moved to the DSL section.

aymski 21-08-2006 20:49

im actually on tw blueyonder ,will it make a difference?

SnoopZ 21-08-2006 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by aymski
im actually on tw blueyonder ,will it make a difference?

I'd suggest the Linksys WRT54GS then. When buying a router you have to becareful to get one for cable or ADSL. As you're on cable then you want something like that Linksys.

mcmanic 22-08-2006 08:05

i brought that linksey yesterday for my NTL connection (wired) and xbox360 (wireless)+2 Nintendo DS (wireless) + soon to appear Nintendo Wii (wireless)

works a treat and very, very easy to setup

aymski 22-08-2006 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ
I'd suggest the Linksys WRT54GS then. When buying a router you have to becareful to get one for cable or ADSL. As you're on cable then you want something like that Linksys.

hi i have purchased this router today, however it still requires me to connect my exsisting modem to it...how will this help if my current modem is not capable of recieving anything above 5mb???!?!?

SnoopZ 22-08-2006 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by aymski
hi i have purchased this router today, however it still requires me to connect my exsisting modem to it...how will this help if my current modem is not capable of recieving anything above 5mb???!?!?

That Router won't have problems with 10mbit speeds, so when you get a modem thats capable of 10mbit then you should be fine, unless its hard to get max 10mbit in your area. :)

[edit]

The router lets you distribute your cable connection around the house to other computers or games consoles. Hope that's what you wanted to do and didn't think it was a replacement for a modem.

internetguy 24-08-2006 20:40

I think he was looking for a modem he could use to get the full 10 meg speed not a router.

James Henry 24-08-2006 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ
Is it NTL 10mbit you're on? As you've posted in the Ntl section. The reason i ask is the Webstar isn't an NTL modem. I'd recommend the Linksys WRT54GS if you're on NTL.

[edit] i guess this needs to be moved to the DSL section.

If this chap were using a Webstar (a Telewest modem) on an ntl network he wouldn't be getting a connection at all, and a router certainly wouldn't make any difference to that.

All modern wireless routers will happily support 10Mbit, and are usually referred to as 'Broadband' wireless routers. OP you certainly do not want an ADSL or DSL wireless router, just a broadband one.

Just make sure that the router features 100Mbit WAN port, this should be on the specifications. Only old routers won't now.

You can not replace the modem with a router, you need a new modem that's the only way to get the speeds up. The DSL routers are only of value to people with ADSL, you have cable now and not ADSL.

aymski 24-08-2006 22:48

hi guys, recieved the new modem today motorola sb5100, what can i say its amazin!!! recieving a constant stable speed of 1200, sometimes a little more, .. . . . time to start a dvd collection hehehehe. ps thanks for the router advice, the linkysis is havin no problems so far and had no drops in wireless connectivity