Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   iPhone 14 Discussion Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710740)

Halcyon 13-01-2022 12:41

iPhone 14 Discussion Thread

For all discussion on the iPhone 14, due to be released in September 2022.

As of January 2022, the current rumours are:

- The Pro models "Notch" finally being removed and instead a smaller pill shaped area at the top of the screen.
The big notch bugged me, I will be glad to see a smaller area being used.

- 48 Mega Pixel camera on the iPhone 14 Pro.

- New iPhone design, possibly using Titanium.

Apple is expected to announce four new iPhone 14 models in September, including a 6.1-inch iPhone 14, 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Max, 6.1-inch iPhone 14 Pro, and 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Pro Max, with a 48-megapixel camera available on the latter two devices.

Are you tempted? What are you looking forward to?

This thread is for all discussion about Apples newest device arriving in September 2022.

Isabellah 13-01-2022 15:35

Re: iPhone 14 Discussion Thread

I hope they will finally make a 144 hz display, also I hope they will return touch ID, face ID does not always work especially when you are wearing mask. Maybe they will be able to integrate their chip M1 in the iPhone, it could be really awesome

bigsinky 13-01-2022 21:37

Need to have a >120hz screen.

Mr K 13-01-2022 21:47

Is it able to make phone calls? Just asking as its something they may have forgotten...

Damien 13-01-2022 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabellah (Post 36109239)
I hope they will finally make a 144 hz display, also I hope they will return touch ID, face ID does not always work especially when you are wearing mask. Maybe they will be able to integrate their chip M1 in the iPhone, it could be really awesome

The M1 chip is a cousin of the A chips in the iPhone, it was from the work there they eventually arrived at the M chip. I don't think we'll see it in the iPhone as their current chipsets are more than fast enough already in the phone.

Paul 14-01-2022 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36109334)
Is it able to make phone calls? Just asking as its something they may have forgotten...

Unclear atm.

I predict it will, of course, be more expensive than any previous iPhone.

Halcyon 14-01-2022 10:26

I am mostly interested in the camera as use it all the time so the increase in mega pixels is very welcome. However if they are keeping the sensor size the same then it is likely they will use pixel binning to join a larger pixel but lower megapixel image with the higher megapixel but smaller pixel image.
They may also have an issue with low light so Im hoping that isnt an issue.

Carth 14-01-2022 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36109408)

I predict it will, of course, be more expensive than any previous iPhone.

I can't wait for all the VM emails begging me to buy one :rolleyes:

Damien 14-01-2022 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36109429)
I am mostly interested in the camera as use it all the time so the increase in mega pixels is very welcome. However if they are keeping the sensor size the same then it is likely they will use pixel binning to join a larger pixel but lower megapixel image with the higher megapixel but smaller pixel image.
They may also have an issue with low light so Im hoping that isnt an issue.

Yeah, this is my concern. Apple has generally been good at avoiding the big numbers game and doing something that gets good pictures. iPhone pictures as a result had way less noise than other phones early on where their competitors posted gazillion megapixels but it looked awful.

Halcyon 07-07-2022 10:04

So we are getting a little closer to a release date, with around September 6th likely to be the day it is revealed to the world.

So far, it seems to be the iPhone 14 Pro that will be the one to go for.
The standard 14 model will not have an upgraded processor and the Pro has more features.

It will be interesting to see how quickly they become available. I assume there will be a lot more iPhone 14 Pro's manufactured than the other models. There was recently talk about the Max model possibly having supply issues.

Mr K 11-07-2022 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36127381)
So we are getting a little closer to a release date, with around September 6th likely to be the day it is revealed to the world.

So far, it seems to be the iPhone 14 Pro that will be the one to go for.
The standard 14 model will not have an upgraded processor and the Pro has more features.

It will be interesting to see how quickly they become available. I assume there will be a lot more iPhone 14 Pro's manufactured than the other models. There was recently talk about the Max model possibly having supply issues.

Surely the thing to do get a model a couple of versions earlier and save yourself hundreds, that's always been my starting point with phones. In fact save yourself a few hundred more and don't bother with Apple. Android is equally as good, can compare as I have an iPhone for work, and Android for myself. In many way Android is better as iphones are so locked down.

daveeb 11-07-2022 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36127941)
Surely the thing to do get a model a couple of versions earlier and save yourself hundreds, that's always been my starting point with phones. In fact save yourself a few hundred more and don't bother with Apple. Android is equally as good, can compare as I have an iPhone for work, and Android for myself. In many way Android is better as iphones are so locked down.

I've tried telling my offspring this but they won't listen. iphones are also very difficult to get fixed at a third party outlet or fix yourself despite their new self repair scheme (which is a bit of a con). You still have to buy the parts from Apple then register your phone details to get the newly installed parts functioning properly.

Paul 11-07-2022 23:34

He can afford it ....
Quote:

With a current net worth of US$263 billion and an annual growth rate of 129 per cent, Musk is anticipated to reach US$1.38 trillion in the next two years at age 52.
https://www.theceomagazine.com/busin...-trillionaire/

Halcyon 12-07-2022 09:34

Ok so we get it, some of you don't like iPhones.

But this isnt the thread for you then.

mrmistoffelees 24-08-2022 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36127941)

Entirely depends on the ecosystem you're either tied to or you prefer, I use a Mac for work (iPad Pro if travelling overseas), therefore an iPhone fits in better.