Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Paying VM for installation costs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710452)

Biggerbil 10-10-2021 22:15

Paying VM for installation costs

Hi all, I have been talking to VM for a while and come to a dead end. An engineer has been out to my house and confirmed the connection would be technically feasible however despite my street being cabled my house is set too far back from the main line (c 40m) to make a connection financially viable for vm (which is fair enough). Vm don’t seem to be willing or able to engage in the possibility of me paying for the installation cost - does anyone have any experience of how to go about this (openreach do have a process for this) or confirming that it’s not indeed possible? I appreciate that the installation cost will be significant but I really like my house and don’t have many other options. Thanks for help!

RichardCoulter 11-10-2021 00:33

Re: Paying VM for installation costs

There's a thread on here somewhere about the experiences that someone in a similar position to yourself encountered.

It's well known that there are a lot of complaints about how VM treats its customers, but this was a whole new level of contempt, lies & arrogance.

Basically, from what I remember, VM agreed to connect him if he had some of the work done at his expense. He did it, at a cost of thousands and then VM said that they couldn't connect him. They refused to reimburse him for his wasted money, so he took legal action against them and won. VM then didn't/wouldn't pay out what they had been told to, so he had to take further action to force them to.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, but if you do go ahead make sure that you get everything in writing.

RobboEdin 11-10-2021 10:50

Richard, Richard, Richard, please explain where you see the ‘contempt, lies and arrogance’ shown by Virgin Media in the OP.

Biggerbil 11-10-2021 13:37

Oh dear my intention wasn’t to set off a vm witch hunt! Nonetheless it’s useful to know that others have somehow gone down this route even though it hasn’t necessarily worked out! I haven’t received the quote from openreach to do the work yet but vm won’t even entertain the possibility of me funding the installation even though the connection should be a lot simpler than bt fibre. I guess that’s because they aren’t obligated to connect everyone? Hard to find anyone to talk to other than the folks on the vm forum who just said it’s too expensive. So infuriating 🙄

spiderplant 11-10-2021 14:15

If I recall correctly, the other guy had a 250 metre driveway, which is beyond the range of the cable. If yours is 40 metres and there's a VM cabinet fairly near the end of your drive, at least cable length shouldn't be a problem. But there may be other obstacles (literal or metaphorical). All I can suggest is asking again. Try to get to speak to the Installs manager for your area.

Biggerbil 11-10-2021 17:44

My situation is slightly different as the distance of 40m is to the virgin line (I can see the different coloured tarmac) across public land so would require permits etc to do the digging so maybe they just can’t be bothered! Do vm have to run a separate cable from the cabinet for each connection? I can see spurs off the main line along the street (but could be loads of individual cables in one tunnel) to my neighbours properties with vm connection boxes but don’t know where the main cabinet is. The network guy (who didn’t work for vm he was a contractor working on their behalf) was super helpful but I’ve probably exhausted my goodwill with him and the local Swindon install manager hasn’t been in contact despite the contractor passing my details on. How would u go about getting the local install managers contact details? Many thanks for all your advice!

spiderplant 11-10-2021 17:48

Ah, I've just discovered you have already been discussing this with VM staff on the official forum. It does look like a difficult situation, and unfortunately I don't think we could add anything here.

Just a random thought though: Give VM Business a call. I wonder if they would be able to arrange something if you were willing to pay Business prices.

Biggerbil 11-10-2021 18:47

Cool thanks that’s a great idea- I did mention that I had already chatted on the vm forum i wasn’t sure if this one was a bit more independent and might have some new ideas such as yours!

pip08456 11-10-2021 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggerbil (Post 36097093)
Cool thanks that’s a great idea- I did mention that I had already chatted on the vm forum i wasn’t sure if this one was a bit more independent and might have some new ideas such as yours!

This one is independant although the are VM employees who come here on their own time.