Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   200M : Just had an offer via phone. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710193)

RichardCoulter 05-07-2021 15:06

Just had an offer via phone.

Just received a call from some foreign call centre. I'm more wary since the VM date breach where our details were left unsecured on the Internet.

She verified herself to my satisfaction and went into a long waffle, but I won't bore people here with the clutter. Basically, I was offered an upgrade from 200 to 350 for £5 a month instead of what she said should be £11.

Anyone else had this offer? Those thinking of upgrading might want to wait for a call first.

I decined the offer as 200 is more than enough for me and, as i've learnt to my cost, changing anything with VM is likely to end in tears (of frustration).

Chris 05-07-2021 18:30

Re: Just had an offer via phone.

The surest policy for avoiding scams is never deal with unsolicited inbound call centre calls, ever. TBH I’ve long since stopped answering the landline unless it’s from a number I recognise as friend or family. The answerphone deals with everything else.

Carth 05-07-2021 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36085301)
The surest policy for avoiding scams is never deal with unsolicited inbound call centre calls, ever. TBH I’ve long since stopped answering the landline unless it’s from a number I recognise as friend or family. The answerphone deals with everything else.

I do almost exactly the same . . unless I feel mischievous ;)

I've lately started asking for proof as to whom I'm talking to before they start asking me, it's quite funny when a genuine caller from our gas/electricity supplier, insurance company, or even Virgin can't 'prove' to me who they are :D

Tables turned nicely

RichardCoulter 05-07-2021 20:37

I only confirmed my address after she correctly answered some of my questions. I would never have given her any of my bank details as I don't trust these foreign call centres especially.

Virgin customers need to be wary because, not only do fraudsters now have our details, but they can spoof numbers to look like they're from somewhere they're not.

Even if they are legitimate, there have been cases of their staff stealing information.

Anyway, i've just had another call from them. After she'd read the script, she said that she wanted to log into my account, but the system had gone down and that she'd call me back!!

GrimUpNorth 05-07-2021 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36085311)
I only confirmed my address after she correctly answered some of my questions. I would never have given her any of my bank details as I don't trust these foreign call centres especially.

Virgin customers need to be wary because, not only do fraudsters now have our details, but they can spoof numbers to look like they're from somewhere they're not.

Even if they are legitimate, there have been cases of their staff stealing information.

Anyway, i've just had another call from them. After she'd read the script, she said that she wanted to log into my account, but the system had gone down and that she'd call me back!!

Any links to back up the bit in bold? It's quite an accusation you're making.

jfman 05-07-2021 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36085311)

Why would you give your bank details to someone that already has them?

RichardCoulter 05-07-2021 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36085313)
Any links to back up the bit in bold? It's quite an accusation you're making.

I don't specifically mean those that take calls for VM, I meant offshore call centres in general.

It was on the news ages ago so will probably be online. It said that they'd tried to stop it by banning them having pens at work etc.

There have also been cases where disgruntled employees have tried to intimidate or frighten customers. One man had an argument with one from Amazon and started getting books related to murder sent to him.

I once gave an Amazon woman a poor review because of the standard of her English. The cheeky **** rang me to complain, so I told her to go away or i'd make a complaint. Shortly afterwards my Amazon account was found to have been closed & a few weeks later someone tried to order goods from a catalogue in London with my details.

I really dislike the whole thing as it's impossible for the companies that use them to control them properly, but they're cheap so...

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36085321)
Why would you give your bank details to someone that already has them?

Scammers try by saying things like they need to double check the details that they hold etc.

Paul 05-07-2021 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36085301)
TBH I’ve long since stopped answering the landline unless it’s from a number I recognise as friend or family. The answerphone deals with everything else.

Same here.

Its strange how 99% never leave a message ;)

RichardCoulter 06-07-2021 13:34

They have just rang again after the problems with their system yesterday. It's funny how the only calls they tend to return involve upselling :erm:

She asked if I was happy with VM, to which I said the service is adequate, but the CS absolute crap. When she asked why I was saying it was crap, I told her- bet she regretted asking.

So, to "apologise for the crap customer service & being such a good customer" :D (for once, their scripted responses made me laugh) I was offered Sky Movies for £16.01 a month. When I said that it wasn't worth it, this came down to £11.01 and she would be making the change today. Once again I had to reiterate that she should not touch my account and leave it alone.

This might help anyone who actually wants Sky Cinema in it's present state ie refuse the first offer to get it even cheaper.

She then said "why, it's only £6 more than what you're currently paying" & would protect me from price rises for 18 months!

I explained that I was under no obligation to justify my decision to her, that I had been previously lied to about being protected from the last price rise (got this sorted out though after yet more pissing about) and that the office of the CEO had now confirmed I was protected for 18 months.

The main reason, however, was that Sky Cinema isn't worth £11.01 a month & that I could get it for £9.99 with Now TV.

In addition, it was not "only £6 more" it was £11.01 more. She kept insisting that my bill was £5.01 more than what i'm actually paying.

This concerns me, so here we go again on the VM merry go round.

Mythica 06-07-2021 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36085429)
They have just rang again after the problems with their system yesterday. It's funny how the only calls they tend to return involve upselling :erm:

She asked if I was happy with VM, to which I said the service is adequate, but the CS absolute crap. When she asked why I was saying it was crap, I told her- bet she regretted asking.

So, to "apologise for the crap customer service & being such a good customer" :D (for once, their scripted responses made me laugh) I was offered Sky Movies for £16.01 a month. When I said that it wasn't worth it, this came down to £11.01 and she would be making the change today. Once again I had to reiterate that she should not touch my account and leave it alone.

This might help anyone who actually wants Sky Cinema in it's present state ie refuse the first offer to get it even cheaper.

She then said "why, it's only £6 more than what you're currently paying" & would protect me from price rises for 18 months!

I explained that I was under no obligation to justify my decision to her, that I had been previously lied to about being protected from the last price rise (got this sorted out though after yet more pissing about) and that the office of the CEO had now confirmed I was protected for 18 months.

The main reason, however, was that Sky Cinema isn't worth £11.01 a month & that I could get it for £9.99 with Now TV.

In addition, it was not "only £6 more" it was £11.01 more. She kept insisting that my bill was £5.01 more than what i'm actually paying.

If you have no interest in these offers, then why do you carry the conversations on? You seem so unhappy with how VM treat you, I'm baffled why you always stay with them.

tweetiepooh 07-07-2021 09:51

It is fun when I get calls from Sky etc wanting to better my deal, like to see them try. Even more fun when I get calls from VM wanting to up-sell. Don't they see that I'm on staff deal and they can't change my account, it's done via special team/process? Oh! Maybe they aren't really VM at all, strange they say they are! Some people are so dishonest.

Maggy 07-07-2021 09:54

Answerphone,answerphone,answerphone. Anyone I WANT to call uses my mobile these days.

tweetiepooh 07-07-2021 09:57

Don't have or want mobile and if I have selection will always call landline first.

Itshim 07-07-2021 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36085436)
If you have no interest in these offers, then why do you carry the conversations on? You seem so unhappy with how VM treat you, I'm baffled why you always stay with them.

I've wondered about that for years . I have an idea why he posts but get stick if I post what I think ! :erm:

RichardCoulter 07-07-2021 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36085429)

Just rang my named contact in the office of the CEO, apparently my bill appears to be more on my account than what it is because some of my discounts have been set up as rolling credits as opposed to discounts.

He said that those at the offshore call centre often don't know how to read a bill correctly. Just goes to show that they are aware of how useless they are, yet they continue to use them.

It"s no longer an issue for me, but does show that they prefer to use a cheaper option over providing good customer service & investing customer payments into providing jobs for those in the UK.