Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711003)

General Maximus 06-05-2022 14:45

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness discussion

I thought I would start a separate thread for a discussion about this film so as to avoid spamming the "rate the last movie you saw" thread and having to put everything in spoiler tags.

The thing which I love about Marvel movies is how grounded and natural they feel. Instead of introducing a new uber bad guy in this film they continued the story from the shared universe and expanded on Wanda's pain and where we left her in Wandavision. I loved that twist because I didn't get that from the trailer at all.

I thought the film was "good" up and till the midway point at then it went up a notch for me. You have to laugh at Marvel willy waving and they obviously wanted to take advantage and play with their acquisition of Fox asap and who wouldn't? The introduction of Mr Fantastic was great, I thought seeing Agent Carter as Captain America was a lovely touch but the thing which really moved me and meant a lot was seeing Professor Xavier, what a treat. I love the original X-men films and to get him to come back in this film just shows once again how much Marvel care about quality and the tone and feel of their films. They knew how much this would mean to everyone.

The Illuminati were interesting and a pseudo-Avengers. I am glad they didn't call them the "Avengers" of the alternate reality because they all went down in 5 minutes which doesn't bode well :p:

Paul 06-05-2022 21:31

Re: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness discussion (SPOILERS)

Saw it this afternoon, totally enjoyed it, and nice to see the Inhumans as well as F4, Prof X & Carter.

The trailers really didnt do it justice, it was far better (and less confusing) than they made it out to be.

They hide well the fact that Wanda was the baddy. I wonder if she is gone for good.

General Maximus 06-05-2022 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36121407)

They hide well the fact that Wanda was the baddy. I wonder if she is gone for good.

I hope not. She didn't do anything for me when she was introduced in Age of Ultron but she grew on me and i love her character now.

Pierre 07-05-2022 09:36

I haven’t seen it yet, just out of curiosity which Prof X is it?

General Maximus 07-05-2022 10:51

There is only one Professor X as far as I am concerned

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2022/05/7.gif

Paul 07-05-2022 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36121440)
I haven’t seen it yet, just out of curiosity which Prof X is it?

Picard :D

Stephen 09-05-2022 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36121355)
I thought I would start a separate thread for a discussion about this film so as to avoid spamming the "rate the last movie you saw" thread and having to put everything in spoiler tags.

The thing which I love about Marvel movies is how grounded and natural they feel. Instead of introducing a new uber bad guy in this film they continued the story from the shared universe and expanded on Wanda's pain and where we left her in Wandavision. I loved that twist because I didn't get that from the trailer at all.

I thought the film was "good" up and till the midway point at then it went up a notch for me. You have to laugh at Marvel willy waving and they obviously wanted to take advantage and play with their acquisition of Fox asap and who wouldn't? The introduction of Mr Fantastic was great, I thought seeing Agent Carter as Captain America was a lovely touch but the thing which really moved me and meant a lot was seeing Professor Xavier, what a treat. I love the original X-men films and to get him to come back in this film just shows once again how much Marvel care about quality and the tone and feel of their films. They knew how much this would mean to everyone.

The Illuminati were interesting and a pseudo-Avengers. I am glad they didn't call them the "Avengers" of the alternate reality because they all went down in 5 minutes which doesn't bode well :p:

Don't forget the illuminati were essentially the most powerful characters they had and the fact the all got taken out by Wanda was just to show how crazy and powerful she was.

Captain Carter was in the What If... show.

Also that particular version of Prof X was the one from the 90s X-Men cartoon. It wasn't Xavier from the X-Men movies.

I particularly loved how much Sam Raimi made the film feel like one of his horror films. He weaved so many elements into the film. His Yellow car, which he has tried to feature in most of his projects was even there.

I also think Wanda may still return. After all when the place collapsed we never actually see a body. So anything is possible.

Chris 11-05-2022 21:46

FANGASM

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36121692)
Don't forget the illuminati were essentially the most powerful characters they had and the fact the all got taken out by Wanda was just to show how crazy and powerful she was.

Captain Carter was in the What If... show.

Also that particular version of Prof X was the one from the 90s X-Men cartoon. It wasn't Xavier from the X-Men movies.

I particularly loved how much Sam Raimi made the film feel like one of his horror films. He weaved so many elements into the film. His Yellow car, which he has tried to feature in most of his projects was even there.

I also think Wanda may still return. After all when the place collapsed we never actually see a body. So anything is possible.

The film is definitely even better if you’ve seen all of Wandavision and What If?

Now I want to know if Jim from The Office will be Reed Richards when the new F4 film comes out.

And I love it that the Illuminati had a functional Ultron system for Earth defence. A nice touch, in a film full of nice touches (like the cloak patch resembling the emblem the comic book version of Dr Strange has on his).

General Maximus 11-05-2022 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36122040)
Now I want to know if Jim from The Office will be Reed Richards when the new F4 film comes out.

I think he will. Marvel are excellent with their continuity (and realism factor).

Damien 01-06-2022 20:01

Finally watched it.

Quite liked it, especially the use of music.

I am concerned they're getting a bit too deep into the weeds on the lore and the required viewing though. As it happens the one MCU TV show I've watched is Wandavision. Not seen Loki, What If or any of the others. If I hadn't watched What If I think Wanda's motivations and character would have been very weak. They do enough to make you understand she wants to see her kids again and is angry about it but I think it would be hard to understand the shift in character.

I don't have the inclination to watch every piece of media the MCU puts out so hope I don't spend future films wondering who is this? why is everyone cheering? Is that a thing then? WTF is the 'magic trombone'?

I was also distracted by the use of the British Museum as the HQ of the Illuminati.

Jaymoss 22-06-2022 01:10

Highlight Captain Carter. I have seen all the shows so knew what was going on. Really enjoyed it. Interesting edition now they will be able to travel the multiverse at leisure

Captain Carter could well be getting her own movie/series. That I really want

Chris 22-06-2022 09:11

This is now streaming on Disney+ for all subscribers

Paul 22-06-2022 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36125932)

And also available in all the other usual places. ;)

Pierre 22-06-2022 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36125932)

Just about to watch it now, with the family Pierre

Chris 22-06-2022 20:23

Re: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness discussion

If you have young kids, have cushions ready … it’s a bit Hammer Horror in places