Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Changes to Virgin TV (2021) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709646)

jfman 14-01-2021 12:28

Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36066606)
Streamers are more than just content providers and content aggregators. They generally own the relationship with the customer and the application that enables customers to access that content. It is not usually in an individual streaming company's interests for people to navigate this through a third party interface as it makes it easier to navigate between different providers and people say "I saw this great series on Sky" as oppose to "I saw this great box set on Discovery +"

That is why they want people to stay in their own ecosystems and not to stray to other providers' services. Helping customers find their content more easily works in the confines of their own apps but beyond it can work against them. They don't want customers to see over the walls of their walled gardens.

And while Sky/Virgin do carry third party channels (and always have) they’ve known that the revenue to the third party is also dependent upon the success of Sky/Virgin and that they can reap in the success.

It’s in the streamers interests to break that link longer term and there’s no competitive edge to Sky/Virgin to facilitate third parties retailing directly to their customers. To that end it’s only really worth Sky/Virgin to facilitate this for streamers who have already hit critical mass (e.g. Netflix, Amazon) or are extremely likely to (Disney), or to those that already have widespread presence (on Smart TVs etc).

OLD BOY 14-01-2021 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36066606)
Streamers are more than just content providers and content aggregators. They generally own the relationship with the customer and the application that enables customers to access that content. It is not usually in an individual streaming company's interests for people to navigate this through a third party interface as it makes it easier to navigate between different providers and people say "I saw this great series on Sky" as oppose to "I saw this great box set on Discovery +"

That is why they want people to stay in their own ecosystems and not to stray to other providers' services. Helping customers find their content more easily works in the confines of their own apps but beyond it can work against them. They don't want customers to see over the walls of their walled gardens.

I'm not sure how true that is, Andrew. Such an arrangement is attractive to the customer and makes the provider stand out from other providers because it makes searching easy.

As far as providers not wishing to see the content of other streaming services in their offerings, how do you explain the fact that when searching Amazon, Netflix shows also come up? On Apple+, StarzPlay content shows up. When you search in Virgin Media, results come up for Netflix, Amazon and TV channels as well as the PPV Virgin Media Store.

Providers who make the choices more straight forward for their customers deserve to do well, and I am sure they will.

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36066611)
Exactly. Even BBC shows with a big BBC logo at the start of every episode (and efen on the show tile) get mistaken for other services output. I keep being amazed at the number who mistakenly associate UK shows with likes of Netflix, and I'm not talking about those that are co-productions.

And there a so many stories you read about people only discovering well known shows on Netflix, it's astounding how many seem unwilling to exit the app to look at other services, it's a virtuous circle for them, one every other broadcaster now realises they have to break.

I hear what you say, but I think you are comparing Netflix with the TV channels, and the problem with the latter is that they are scheduled services, and once you've missed the programme, it comes off the EPG. With Netflix, all the shows are there, ready for you to pick one.

I know that some people may not realise that something they are watching was made somewhere else, but as long as you are subscribing, why should anyone care? The BBC will get their cut for shows they lodge on Netflix.

Hugh 14-01-2021 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36066656)
I'm not sure how true that is, Andrew. Such an arrangement is attractive to the customer and makes the provider stand out from other providers because it makes searching easy.

As far as providers not wishing to see the content of other streaming services in their offerings, how do you explain the fact that when searching Amazon, Netflix shows also come up? On Apple+, StarzPlay content shows up. When you search in Virgin Media, results come up for Netflix, Amazon and TV channels as well as the PPV Virgin Media Store.

Providers who make the choices more straight forward for their customers deserve to do well, and I am sure they will.

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

I hear what you say, but I think you are comparing Netflix with the TV channels, and the problem with the latter is that they are scheduled services, and once you've missed the programme, it comes off the EPG. With Netflix, all the shows are there, ready for you to pick one.

I know that some people may not realise that something they are watching was made somewhere else, but as long as you are subscribing, why should anyone care? The BBC will get their cut for shows they lodge on Netflix.

It's not about the customer caring, it's about the Streamer caring that the customer identifies with it, not the collater of programmes.

jfman 14-01-2021 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36066661)
It's not about the customer caring, it's about the Streamer caring that the customer identifies with it, not the collater of programmes.

This is where Old Boy's example is poorly thought out. Virgin aren't selling you a glorified smart stick in box form. They're selling you a TV package.

If they just dump all the content into one search box and every option says "sorry, please subscribe to Amazon", Netflix, Disney, Apple, Starzplay, Eleven Sports (RIP) suddenly people ask themselves what they are paying Virgin Media for!

Incidentally my Netflix monthly cost is now greater than what I pay over and above 200MB standalone broadband for Maxit TV.

cheekyangus 14-01-2021 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36066656)

The problem is that people who may be consuming a lot of a particular supplier's content will be getting it from a 3rd Party where the creator gets a much smaller cut of the money than they would if they went through the creator's own service.

Some creator's are too small so they have no option but to be part of bigger service.

The particular variation of this problem with the BBC is there is potentially a scenario where someone unknowingly consumes a lot of BBC content and yet complains about paying for the license fee as they don't make anything they watch, when in fact that's precisely what they are doing.

If creators become invisible the streamer will get too much power. A similar thing has happened in computer/video games, there was a time when gamers knew who was responsible for their favourite games, the actual individual people. Now the industry is full of a few big publishers who have deliberately anonymised development teams by renaming them under the company brand as it gives them more power to dictate to their staff.

If the likes of Netflix gets too big they will have increasing leverage to give their 3rd party suppliers smaller and smaller cuts. It could even be compared to UK supermarkets industry, food suppliers are always in the news complaining about the supermarkets continually squeezing their margins.

Itshim 15-01-2021 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36066670)
This is where Old Boy's example is poorly thought out. Virgin aren't selling you a glorified smart stick in box form. They're selling you a TV package.

If they just dump all the content into one search box and every option says "sorry, please subscribe to Amazon", Netflix, Disney, Apple, Starzplay, Eleven Sports (RIP) suddenly people ask themselves what they are paying Virgin Media for!

Incidentally my Netflix monthly cost is now greater than what I pay over and above 200MB standalone broadband for Maxit TV.

What on earth are you paying netflix :confused: sorry just noticed bb cost

Phunkenstein 18-01-2021 18:00

The rebrand of the Star India channels has been confirmed -

https://twitter.com/startvuk/status/...111854081?s=21

From 22 Jan 2021, the channels #StarPlus #StarBharat & #StarGold will be rebranded to #UtsavPlus #UtsavBharat & #UtsavGold in UK/Europe

cheekyangus 18-01-2021 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phunkenstein (Post 36067098)
The rebrand of the Star India channels has been confirmed -

https://twitter.com/startvuk/status/...111854081?s=21

From 22 Jan 2021, the channels #StarPlus #StarBharat & #StarGold will be rebranded to #UtsavPlus #UtsavBharat & #UtsavGold in UK/Europe

Presumably so that people don't get confused with the Disney+ hub?

SonicMaster 18-01-2021 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36067104)
Presumably so that people don't get confused with the Disney+ hub?

Yes that's correct.

Ultimate.Conj 19-01-2021 09:54

Happy New Year everyone...sorry it's a bit late

Top of my list would be the Sky UHD content - be good to finally see some Sky Sports, movies and box sets in UHD.

Topgun 19-01-2021 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj (Post 36067138)

Top of my list would be the Sky UHD content - be good to finally see some Sky Sports, movies and box sets in UHD.

I soooo agree. It should have happened last year, let's hope they get on with it ASAP...

Dave42 19-01-2021 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topgun (Post 36067160)
I soooo agree. It should have happened last year, let's hope they get on with it ASAP...

best we don't hold our breath

RV95 19-01-2021 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj (Post 36067138)

I myself, as I am sure many others, have been waiting for this to be announced and I'm putting all my chips in and say they will finally announce the launch in February.
But I am not expecting any HDR content, as this has only been turned on for Sky customers in the past couple of months so do not expect VM to have it so soon.

Ultimate.Conj 19-01-2021 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV95 (Post 36067166)
I myself, as I am sure many others, have been waiting for this to be announced and I'm putting all my chips in and say they will finally announce the launch in February.
But I am not expecting any HDR content, as this has only been turned on for Sky customers in the past couple of months so do not expect VM to have it so soon.

I hope you are right mate. End of Feb isn't too far away.

Raider999 19-01-2021 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj (Post 36067170)
I hope you are right mate. End of Feb isn't too far away.

He only states the will announce when it starts in Feb - doesn't mean it will start in Feb or even if it is Feb 2021.

Derekb108 20-01-2021 03:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36065594)
Discovery+ would be a nice addition to Virgin Media, as would the Disney+ and UKTV Play apps.

Why has Sky got the exclusivity rights to Discovery+, when Liberty Global has the overall share of Discovery Inc? That surely isn't fair?

crazyronnie 20-01-2021 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derekb108 (Post 36067217)
Why has Sky got the exclusivity rights to Discovery+, when Liberty Global has the overall share of Discovery Inc? That surely isn't fair?

It's probably because sky were willing to pay a premium to have Discovery+ as an exclusive and Virgin Media couldn't or wouldn't pay the amount that sky were willing to pay.

It doesn't matter that Liberty Global owns overall share of Discovery Networks. Each business within a group runs as its own entity.

Just like Samsung's phone business has to compete with other phone manufacturers to buy memory from Samsungs Semiconductor Memory Business. They're separate companies even though they're are owned by the same group.

Legendkiller2k 20-01-2021 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derekb108 (Post 36067217)

Maybe VM should learn to stop penny pinching and actually bid decent ammounts?
Just because LG have major shares in something it doesn't mean VM will automatically get it, money talks.
You could flip it and say "why won't VM allow anyone else to use their fibre network?"

Ultimate.Conj 20-01-2021 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36067201)
He only states the will announce when it starts in Feb - doesn't mean it will start in Feb or even if it is Feb 2021.

I didn't assume anything other than that, but an announcement is better than nothing.

Tricky Trevor 20-01-2021 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV95 (Post 36067166)

Any reason why you think that it's possible that an announcement will be made in February?

RV95 20-01-2021 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor (Post 36067273)
Any reason why you think that it's possible that an announcement will be made in February?

I'd seen on the TV360 Forum on the VM Community before X'mas, BlueLou said that we should hear about this "coming soon but not before x'mas". My thinking was that December and January gives them some time to familiarise and get to grips with the move to TV360 with new and existing customers and with COVID and the lockdown around end of Dec and into Jan, I think that would have pushed it back as I'm sure they would have preferred to launch both TV360 and UHD together.

Tricky Trevor 20-01-2021 17:23

Oh I see. I read that last month on the Virgin Community Forum.
I hope you are right...fingers crossed!

ScottishSteve 20-01-2021 20:17

I noticed on DigitalBitrate that a 3rd Virgin TV UHD service is now on C068. I know there was 2 for a while, one for 999 and one for 228

Might be something of nothing but again might be something

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

cheekyangus 20-01-2021 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36067323)
I noticed on DigitalBitrate that a 3rd Virgin TV UHD service is now on C068. I know there was 2 for a while, one for 999 and one for 228

Might be something of nothing but again might be something

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

It may be Eurosport is doing UHD for Australian Open. Their test streams usually appear a few weeks before they are required. I don't recall them doing UHD for the Australian before, but they've done it at least twice for the French Open.

It might not be the Sky UHD many are expecting is my point.

SonicMaster 22-01-2021 14:22

VM EPG updated:

801) Star Gold HD > Utsav Gold HD
802) Star Bharat > Utsav Bharat
803) Star Plus HD > Utsav Plus HD

cheekyangus 22-01-2021 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36067561)
VM EPG updated:

Thanks.

Utsav means Celebration according to what I read.

Media Boy UK 28-01-2021 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36067561)
VM EPG updated:

Ofcom says Disneys other UK Channels (FOX and Baby TV) do not have an broadcast TV license.

Aguero9320 28-01-2021 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36068527)
Ofcom says Disneys other UK Channels (FOX and Baby TV) do not have an broadcast TV license.

It seems Disney are set to hoard all their content to prepare for Disney+’s expansion next month. National Geographic could soon be the last one standing!

ScottishSteve 29-01-2021 11:18

Subscribers are being given free access to Cartoon Network, Cartoonio, Boomerang, Nickelodeon, NickToons, Nick Jr, and Nick Jr Too for February according to ISPreview

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...els-again.html

SonicMaster 29-01-2021 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36068593)
Subscribers are being given free access to Cartoon Network, Cartoonio, Boomerang, Nickelodeon, NickToons, Nick Jr, and Nick Jr Too for February according to ISPreview

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...els-again.html

Yes here is the original article on Virgin Media's website:

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...ids-programmes

Derekb108 29-01-2021 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36067258)
Maybe VM should learn to stop penny pinching and actually bid decent ammounts?
Just because LG have major shares in something it doesn't mean VM will automatically get it, money talks.
You could flip it and say "why won't VM allow anyone else to use their fibre network?"

I agree with you on this, stop penny-pinching and get the special deals to be competitive again....

nodrogd 30-01-2021 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36067258)

Even if Virgin were to allow access to their network, other providers would not be able to set up competing services in the same cable areas as Virgin due to the cable franchising system OFCOM still has in place. They could of course compete for the separate franchises, but services have been running for many years now without anyone being interested. I think we are as likely to see new cable operators as we are to see new ITV companies competing for parts of the ITV network.

japitts 30-01-2021 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36068527)

Do you have a link for this?

ScottishSteve 01-02-2021 18:00

I notice on DigitalBitRate a new tier for MTV Play which was announced a while back but looks like its arrival is imminent

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...&sec=0&lang=en

Rob King 02-02-2021 01:43

I was changing over to a channel as I wanted to watch it from on demand it said I can watch from Food Network HD on Demand so think its another channel going HD soon

SonicMaster 02-02-2021 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob King (Post 36069045)
I was changing over to a channel as I wanted to watch it from on demand it said I can watch from Food Network HD on Demand so think its another channel going HD soon

VM provides HD content in Catch Up / On Demand for some channels that don't have an HD channel (5STAR and 5USA for example).

Also, the programme you watched might have been one of the new 'Discovery education' programmes that have been incorrectly categoried as Food Network shows in the On Demand system, shows that have nothing to do with food and have never been shown on that channel, which are in HD.

johnasimmons 03-02-2021 12:30

Any news on Sky Atlantic & Sky UHD appearing on our boxes?

ScottishSteve 03-02-2021 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 36069250)
Any news on Sky Atlantic & Sky UHD appearing on our boxes?

Sky Atlantic has never been mentioned as a possibility.

Sky UHD announcement is expected 'soon' according to VM staff on their own forums a few months back.

heavyside 03-02-2021 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36069254)
Sky Atlantic has never been mentioned as a possibility.

Sky UHD announcement is expected 'soon' according to VM staff on their own forums a few months back.

IIRC Virgin Media should be getting access to Sky UHD programmes and 'enhanced' access to Sky box sets. It's unclear what this last includes. Sky Atlantic box sets? Or maybe that is too much to hope for.

johnasimmons 03-02-2021 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36069271)
IIRC Virgin Media should be getting access to Sky UHD programmes and 'enhanced' access to Sky box sets. It's unclear what this last includes. Sky Atlantic box sets? Or maybe that is too much to hope for.

Thanks! :)

paul0363 03-02-2021 21:16

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36069271)

4K Versions of some movies have appeared on the 360 service (don't know about the V6). If you select one of the movies (e.g. Twist or Bad Boys for Life) and scroll down to the foot of the info page it states 4K and HD (the 360 will playthe highest res available for your setup AFAIK)

Rob King 04-02-2021 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0363 (Post 36069331)
4K Versions of some movies have appeared on the 360 service (don't know about the V6). If you select one of the movies (e.g. Twist or Bad Boys for Life) and scroll down to the foot of the info page it states 4K and HD (the 360 will playthe highest res available for your setup AFAIK)

If you do a search for Twist and Bad Boys it shows its UHD then you only get HD thats been the norm for a long time on certain movies btw I have a V6 box

SonicMaster 10-02-2021 14:42

Court TV (part of The E.W. Scripps Company) has announced that it will launch on Freeview channel 89 on 15th February. The channel is already available on Freesat channel 177 and Sky channel 179.

https://advanced-television.com/2021...s-on-freeview/

Are there any signs of this channel making an arrival on Virgin Media too?

Mad Max 10-02-2021 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36070103)
Court TV (part of The E.W. Scripps Company) has announced that it will launch on Freeview channel 89 on 15th February. The channel is already available on Freesat channel 177 and Sky channel 179.

No idea M'Lud...:D

Legendkiller2k 10-02-2021 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36070103)

No.

1andrew1 10-02-2021 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36070105)
No idea M'Lud...:D

I can imagine you having some fine words for the channel if it ever made it onto VM. "Absolute dross" being two of those words! :D

SonicMaster 11-02-2021 11:33

I would certainly like to see it added to VM as they will have full coverage of the entire trial of Derek Chauvin, the police officer charged with the murder of George Floyd.

SonicMaster 11-02-2021 14:46

The 'On Demand' / 'Box Sets' folder for Lifetime on Virgin Media now has 'ends on 28th February', so their content (and possibly the channel?) is set to go on that date.

Legendkiller2k 11-02-2021 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36070207)
The 'On Demand' / 'Box Sets' folder for Lifetime on Virgin Media now has 'ends on 28th February', so their content (and possibly the channel?) is set to go on that date.

Nothing our end about Lifetime ended, prob just hasn't been updated yet.

SonicMaster 11-02-2021 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36070221)
Nothing our end about Lifetime ended, prob just hasn't been updated yet.

A 'sticker' has been added to the Lifetime logo with the date it ends, I think they last did that when ABC Studios was removed.

Mad Max 11-02-2021 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36070133)
I can imagine you having some fine words for the channel if it ever made it onto VM. "Absolute dross" being two of those words! :D

Who me, Andrew, never.....:shocked:

RichardCoulter 11-02-2021 21:20

Quote:

Same on Sky.

OLD BOY 11-02-2021 23:46

Quote:

Yes, I noticed that but thought I’d wait until the EPG listings got to March before posting on here. Yes, I think the channel will probably be departing.

Ah well, another one bites the dust. It was becoming quite a mixed bag in the end...

SonicMaster 12-02-2021 11:50

Virgin Media boosts free TV offer in time for half term

Quote:

Virgin Media is extending its free TV offering by making a variety of entertainment, lifestyle and learning-based programming available for all 3.5 million TV customers, at no extra cost.

From 15 February until 16 March, all Virgin TV customers in the UK will be given free access to 22 pay TV channels including Discovery HD, Comedy Central HD, E4 HD, Film 4 HD, FOX HD, Kiss, Magic, MTV HD, and National Geographic HD.

The free TV offering caters for a range of ages and tastes, with thousands of episodes also available on demand – from cult comedy sitcoms to jaw-dropping documentaries.

In addition, Virgin Media has partnered with Tastemade to bring a selection of its premium food and travel shows to its TV platform. Whether they are looking for money-saving meal plans or want to recreate a holiday at home, customers can tune into a variety of original series on demand, including The Pies That Changed My Life!, Plant-Based Budget Meals, and Travelling for your Tastebuds.

The giveaway builds on an existing offer after Virgin Media announced it was giving TV customers free access to seven kids pay TV channels for the whole of February, including Cartoon Network, Cartoonio, Boomerang, Nickelodeon, NickToons, Nick Jr, and Nick Jr Too.

What’s more, Virgin Media’s youngest viewers can access kids app Hopster for free until the end of March, providing a safe environment for pre-schoolers to learn through the stories they love.

David Bouchier, Chief TV & Entertainment Officer at Virgin Media, said:

“We realise that it can be challenging to find fresh and interesting ways to keep the kids (and ourselves!) entertained, especially during the winter months. That’s why we’ve boosted our free TV offering just in time for half term, giving all of our customers access to a large choice of additional channels and programmes.

“Those looking for inspiration and ideas can also tuck into a selection of food and travel shows from Tastemade, which are now available on demand, at no extra cost.”

Customers will automatically be able to access the pay TV channels via their Virgin TV set-top box, with the Tastemade shows available on demand.

Notes to Editors

- From 15 February until 16 March, all Virgin TV customers will be given free access to 22 pay TV channels and programming including Comedy Central HD, Comedy Central Extra, MTV HD, E4 HD, TLC HD, ID, DMAX, More 4 HD, FOX HD, Discovery HD, National Geographic Wild HD, National Geographic HD, Box Hits, Kiss, Magic, Kerrang, TCM HD, Film 4 HD, Sony SAB, Colors HD, Rishtey, and Rishtey Cineplex.

- From now until 2 March, all Virgin TV customers will be given free access to seven pay TV kids channels and programming including Cartoon Network, Cartoon Network HD, Cartoon Network +1, Cartoonito, Boomerang, Boomerang +1, Nickelodeon, Nickelodeon HD, Nickelodeon +1, NickToons, Nick Jr, and Nick Jr Too.

- Tastemade has launched on Virgin TV, with a range of food and travel shows now available to watch on demand, at no extra cost.

- Virgin Media has extended free access to the Hopster app until 31 March 2021. Customers can access the app via their Virgin TV V6 set-top box.
https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...-for-half-term

cheekyangus 12-02-2021 12:34

DMAX...still Pay TV on VM.

Tastemade sounds worth investigating... though I'm currently deciding on lunch and haven't eaten today yet... so I may be being subconsciously influenced...:D

RichardCoulter 13-02-2021 13:35

Lifetime now confirmed to be closing on 1/3/21.

OLD BOY 13-02-2021 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36070423)

Yes, the programming has been deteriorating of late. The writing was on the wall.

Maybe we should start keeping a tally of the number of TV channels currently broadcasting. I think they may have started to reduce in number now, much as I predicted five years ago.

Or is that just my imagination?

RichardCoulter 13-02-2021 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36070491)
Yes, the programming has been deteriorating of late. The writing was on the wall.

Maybe we should start keeping a tally of the number of TV channels currently broadcasting. I think they may have started to reduce in number now, much as I predicted five years ago.

Or is that just my imagination?

They do seem to be reducing. There's various reasons being given, such as Covid fallout, licensing issues due to Brexit and competition from streaming services.

Freesat & Freeview intend to merge operations & in certain circumstance allow streaming channels onto the EPG.

Talking Pictures could be on the way out too:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...9#post36070499

OLD BOY 13-02-2021 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36070500)
They do seem to be reducing. There's various reasons being given, such as Covid fallout, licensing issues due to Brexit and competition from streaming services.

Freesat & Freeview intend to merge operations & in certain circumstance allow streaming channels onto the EPG.

Talking Pictures could be on the way out too:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...9#post36070499

Yes, I think that Sky Nature and Sky Documentaries are likely to be the last decent additions to our channel line-up. The golden age of linear scheduled TV channels is coming to an end, and this will be increasingly the case over the next few years.

In some respects, it is a shame. I remember vividly how excited we all were with the Disney Channel launch. Also, I remember clearly how happy I was when we were treated to new channels like SelectTV, the Granada channels and the Sci-Fi channel. I even stayed up to watch it when it only started at 1am on Mondays to Wednesdays, so I was pleased when cable offered the channel all day long!

However, time hurries on, and change will happen regardless of our attachments to the past.

The future is streaming. But that is a subject for another thread!

Legendkiller2k 14-02-2021 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36070423)

Came out of the blue this one as nothing at all came into our office about it, mind you A+E have always been very cagey with us.
The last we knew was LMN was considering a UK launch but that's most likely not happening now.

Another one to keep a eye on is TCM it's not doing very well apparantly.

OLD BOY 14-02-2021 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36070553)
Came out of the blue this one as nothing at all came into our office about it, mind you A+E have always been very cagey with us.
The last we knew was LMN was considering a UK launch but that's most likely not happening now.

TCM have been broadcasting older films of late, and in SD. Not the best mix!

RichardCoulter 14-02-2021 02:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36070553)

The FTA Blaze is a lot more successful than Lifetime and they own a placeholder slot on Freeview (TCC), meaning that people are speculating that they might be replacing Lifetime with another FTA channel, maybe using the old Lifetime programming.

cheekyangus 14-02-2021 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36070559)
TCM have been broadcasting older films of late, and in SD. Not the best mix!

Putting the Classic in Turner Classic Movies :D. Though old doesn't necessarily mean classic. The problem with TCM in UK, in my opinion, is it shows the same limited film selection over and over, such that Film4 and Sony's portfolio look positively brimming with variety in comparison.

OLD BOY 14-02-2021 16:45

There have been some good films being shown on Sony Movies of late. Pity they don’t broadcast in HD.

cheekyangus 14-02-2021 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36070658)
There have been some good films being shown on Sony Movies of late. Pity they don’t broadcast in HD.

Agree. Didn't do justice to the TV premiere of Blade Runner 2049 last year.

Legendkiller2k 14-02-2021 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36070658)

They're looking into HD.

cheekyangus 14-02-2021 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36070677)
They're looking into HD.

Glad to hear it. Hope they decide to proceed. :)

SonicMaster 15-02-2021 11:21

Quote:

They're looking into HD.

That's good to know. It would be great to have Sony Movies in HD on Pay TV in the UK, like it is in the US.

heavyside 15-02-2021 12:22

Quote:

They're looking into HD.

Sony Movies in HD? Yes, please.

Another channel that would benefit greatly from being in HD is Drama. There are some good shows on Drama that I would like to watch again but currently, the PQ is decidedly naff and offputting.

johnathome 15-02-2021 17:56

Just had an email, 22 extra channels added until 16th March.

Sorry, already posted

OLD BOY 15-02-2021 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 36070796)
Just had an email, 22 extra channels added until 16th March.

Sorry, already posted

Nothing extra for the premium subscribers, more’s the pity.

Legendkiller2k 15-02-2021 20:54

Do VM ever give anything for free via their movie store?
SKY do via SKY store and despicable me is free atm to keep.

nomadking 15-02-2021 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36070821)

Or you can simply wait until it's on ITV again.

cheekyangus 15-02-2021 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36070821)

Obviously not the same thing, but I remember years ago they did a Penny Movies promotion every so often. There were a small selection of movies to rent for 1p.

Legendkiller2k 15-02-2021 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36070824)
Obviously not the same thing, but I remember years ago they did a Penny Movies promotion every so often. There were a small selection of movies to rent for 1p.

Weren't that part of their front row service?

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36070823)
Or you can simply wait until it's on ITV again.

Hmmm let me think a minute watch it free with adverts or own it for free and watch without adverts tough choice there.:D

RichardCoulter 15-02-2021 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36070826)
Weren't that part of their front row service?

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Hmmm let me think a minute watch it free with adverts or own it for free and watch without adverts tough choice there.:D

Yes, it was via Front Row- which shows how long ago it was!

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36070817)

Agreed. The more VM services you buy, the less freebie channels you seem to get.

Itshim 16-02-2021 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36070817)

What's left to give? :rolleyes:

RichardCoulter 16-02-2021 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36070901)
What's left to give? :rolleyes:

Depends what channels premium customers take. Those who take everything could be offered a free PPV movie or a complimentary Virgin Media store item in the same way as Sky do it to retain customer loyalty & satisfaction.

1andrew1 16-02-2021 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36070914)
Depends what channels premium customers take. Those who take everything could be offered a free PPV movie or a complimentary Virgin Media store item in the same way as Sky do it to retain customer loyalty & satisfaction.

Agreed, though I think it's easier with Sky as it is owned by Comcast as is Universal Pictures.

RobboEdin 16-02-2021 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36070914)

… and those that can afford such services should be happy that others are being given something for free, not looking for something themselves.

RichardCoulter 16-02-2021 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36070917)
… and those that can afford such services should be happy that others are being given something for free, not looking for something themselves.

Selfishness is a major human trait, they aren't likely to consider this aspect.

Sky don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, they are savvy enough to know that what they do is likely to benefit themselves in the long run. VM, as usual, are cluless in this (and some other) aspects of customer care and retention.

1andrew1 16-02-2021 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36070931)
Selfishness is a major human trait, they aren't likely to consider this aspect.

Sky don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, they are savvy enough to know that what they do is likely to benefit themselves in the long run. VM, as usual, are cluless in this (and some other) aspects of customer care and retention.

In fairness to VM, the cost-benefit analysis is bound to be different if you own the content.

But the main objective of the additional free channels is to get customers used to them and will then upgrade to them when the offer ends.

RichardCoulter 16-02-2021 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36070935)
In fairness to VM, the cost-benefit analysis is bound to be different if you own the content.

But the main objective of the additional free channels is to get customers used to them and will then upgrade to them when the offer ends.

Yup. I was surprised that when VM took over NTL, they scrapped The Guest Channel on NTL.

Out of interest, was this also available in Telewest areas?

cheekyangus 16-02-2021 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36070965)
Yup. I was surprised that when VM took over NTL, they scrapped The Guest Channel on NTL.

VM didn't take over NTL. NTL and Telewest merged then bought Virgin Mobile with the aim of utilising the Virgin brand and expanding its offering to including mobile phones.

Legendkiller2k 17-02-2021 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36070965)

I think it was The Preview Channel on Telewest, i'm not certain on that though even though we had Telewest lol.

vincerooney 17-02-2021 01:12

my friend still has the original tivo box. when are these all going to be automatically replaced?! thought they would have by now!

RichardCoulter 17-02-2021 03:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36070978)
I think it was The Preview Channel on Telewest, i'm not certain on that though even though we had Telewest lol.

Well, it is a long time ago now! Interesting that Telewest had sometimes similar. Anyone know if the original franchises had this type of thing?

---------- Post added at 03:48 ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36070980)
my friend still has the original tivo box. when are these all going to be automatically replaced?! thought they would have by now!

I've seen people complaining that they were offered an modern box for free, then they were asked for £100! Apparently, people only get a replacement for freenif their TiVo breaks down.

cheekyangus 17-02-2021 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36070980)

Do they have Virgin Media Broadband? V6/TV360 need you to have a separate internet connection, the Original VM Tivo box has its own connection built-in so can be used by customers that don't take VM Broadband.

Ultimate.Conj 17-02-2021 11:03

Hi All,

I noticed something strange on my V6 search last night. When I searched for Discovery of Witches it had UHD next to it. I tried to see if the UHD version was available, but could only find the HD on-demand.

The other shows that had UHD next to their name were linked to Netflix, or Prime so I understood why, but the Discovery of Witches one baffled me.

Could this be a sign that Sky UHD on-demand content is coming soon, or just my wishful thinking? Maybe some of you can see the same thing I did. Sorry I didn't take a photo

ScottishSteve 17-02-2021 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj (Post 36071023)
Hi All,

I noticed something strange on my V6 search last night. When I searched for Discovery of Witches it had UHD next to it. I tried to see if the UHD version was available, but could only find the HD on-demand.

The other shows that had UHD next to their name were linked to Netflix, or Prime so I understood why, but the Discovery of Witches one baffled me.

Could this be a sign that Sky UHD on-demand content is coming soon, or just my wishful thinking? Maybe some of you can see the same thing I did. Sorry I didn't take a photo

A lot of Sky channel content has been listed as such in the search for months now, but not actually arrived as of yet.

One the 360 some movies on Sky Cinema are UHD

Ultimate.Conj 17-02-2021 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36071025)
A lot of Sky channel content has been listed as such in the search for months now, but not actually arrived as of yet.

Ahh ok thanks. I've not actually used the search function for ages haha
Come to think of it, I think I did see UHD next to some Sky Cinema items too.

Thanks for clearing it up

SonicMaster 17-02-2021 13:40

It was on 18th July 2019 that Sky and VM announced 'with Virgin customers set to enjoy new Ultra HD linear and additional video-on-demand content from Sky next year' so I guess they missed the planned 2020 launch.

In terms of the new UHD content, it's 'set to include Sky Cinema Original films and live sports in UHD, along with unmissable Sky original drama on demand, including shows like Jamestown and the forthcoming comedy Brassic, starring Michelle Keegan.'

ozsat 17-02-2021 14:40

I think even on the 360 they are labelled UHD but are not streaming UHD yet - same as the V6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36071025)

OLD BOY 17-02-2021 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36071038)
It was on 18th July 2019 that Sky and VM announced 'with Virgin customers set to enjoy new Ultra HD linear and additional video-on-demand content from Sky next year' so I guess they missed the planned 2020 launch.

In terms of the new UHD content, it's 'set to include Sky Cinema Original films and live sports in UHD, along with unmissable Sky original drama on demand, including shows like Jamestown and the forthcoming comedy Brassic, starring Michelle Keegan.'

They’ve blamed the delay on Covid. Seems that Covid has a lot to answer for...

Raider999 17-02-2021 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36071054)
They’ve blamed the delay on Covid. Seems that Covid has a lot to answer for...

Easy excuse for everything these days. Customer Service in most cases is abysmal, blamed on Covid - why they have had over 10 months to get used to it.

RichardCoulter 18-02-2021 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36071056)
Easy excuse for everything these days. Customer Service in most cases is abysmal, blamed on Covid - why they have had over 10 months to get used to it.

Exactly. A lot of the companies blaming covid (including VM) had dire customer service before the pandemic.

Legendkiller2k 18-02-2021 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36071056)

Agree mate

japitts 18-02-2021 17:16

Whilst I'd agree that those firms who had good CS setups before Covid have generally coped better since...

Many firms' processes have literally been torn up since Covid, and rebuilding their operations (as some have genuinely had to do) in 11months is simply impractical.

RichardCoulter 18-02-2021 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 36071176)
Whilst I'd agree that those firms who had good CS setups before Covid have generally coped better since...

Many firms' processes have literally been torn up since Covid, and rebuilding their operations (as some have genuinely had to do) in 11months is simply impractical.

Many companiex have managed to do it though eg Tesco.

Someone made a good point earlier that it could be because cheapskate VM outsourced their call centres to those dreadful/useless offshore call centres. Then, when the pandemic hit poorer countries more than the UK, they were screwed.

After being slated on The One Show earlier this week, they said that they've taken on thousands more call centre staff. If true, let's hope that they've learnt their lesson & will scrap them.

They're still sending out letters full of lies that look like they've been written by a child.

Media Boy UK 18-02-2021 17:44

Is DMAX also set to close on March 1st? My TiVo has reveal that listings for both DMAX (Channel 171) and DMAX +1 (Channel 214) are saying on March 1st 'channel off air'. I have also seen online that Freeview has a UK Wide slot up for sale.