Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Wet plug socket to dry out (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711019)

Rillington 10-05-2022 18:33

Wet plug socket to dry out

Generally how long does it take for a plug socket to dry out sufficiently for it not to trip all the electrics when it is switched on?

Taf 10-05-2022 19:45

Re: Wet plug socket to dry out

Until it's bone dry..... about the length of a piece of string.

How did it get wet?

Halcyon 11-05-2022 11:09

I would have a look at the socket itself by unscrewing it off the wall and inspecting it.

*** Turn Electricity off first ***

Corey N Georgie 11-05-2022 18:30

You could try using a hairdrier on a low setting to help with the drying process.

Hugh 11-05-2022 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie (Post 36122020)
You could try using a hairdrier on a low setting to help with the drying process.

But (obviously) not plugged into that socket... :D

Chris 12-05-2022 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36121892)
Generally how long does it take for a plug socket to dry out sufficiently for it not to trip all the electrics when it is switched on?

Generally longer than it takes to go to B&Q and buy a replacement. I’ve only got a wall socket wet once, with a very well-aimed mug of coffee. No hesitation, I just swapped it out for a new one.

So long as you know what you’re doing of course ….

Rillington 14-05-2022 18:47

Thank you for the replies.

It has been three months since the issue that caused the socket to get wet enough for it to trip was fixed. However I don't know if three months is enough time for the socket to dry out sufficiently so that it doesn't cause everything to trip when it is switched on, or shortly after it is switched on.

Chris 14-05-2022 18:54

Switch it on. If the electrics trip, you have your answer …

Paul 14-05-2022 21:45

I would hope its dry after 3 months !

Halcyon 16-05-2022 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36122373)
Thank you for the replies.

It has been three months since the issue that caused the socket to get wet enough for it to trip was fixed. However I don't know if three months is enough time for the socket to dry out sufficiently so that it doesn't cause everything to trip when it is switched on, or shortly after it is switched on.

Unless you live in a very wet cave, under a waterfall, or underwater, then I would assume it has dried out by now.

Whats the worst that can happen? It just trips.