Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Garden Shed Heating Question (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710974)

alanbjames 23-04-2022 16:32

Garden Shed Heating Question

I've just bought a large shed to put in the garden for DIY purposes so myself and son can use.

My question is what's the cheapest way of heating Oil, Halogen or Convector etc?

thanks.

papa smurf 23-04-2022 16:53

Re: Garden Shed Heating Question

Wood , it warms you up collecting it, it warms you up chopping it ,and it warms you up when you burn it.

Chris 23-04-2022 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36119896)
I've just bought a large shed to put in the garden for DIY purposes so myself and son can use.

My question is what's the cheapest way of heating Oil, Halogen or Convector etc?

thanks.

Mains gas is cheaper than electric, but if you can’t burn mains gas out there, you will find that burning oil or wood is very expensive as you will be buying it in too small a quantity for it to be cost effective. Otherwise I’d suggest a small wood pellet stove would be a very nice and cosy conversation piece in the corner of the room.

The very first thing you should do is insulate the walls and the roof. After that, depending on the construction of the shed either electric infrared panels or an electric underfloor mesh are the most efficient electric heaters you could install. I suspect underfloor heating would be too fiddly in a shed, so IR panels are the way to go.

alanbjames 23-04-2022 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36119898)
Mains gas is cheaper than electric, but if you can’t burn mains gas out there, you will find that burning oil or wood is very expensive as you will be buying it in too small a quantity for it to be cost effective. Otherwise I’d suggest a small wood pellet stove would be a very nice and cosy conversation piece in the corner of the room.

The very first thing you should do is insulate the walls and the roof. After that, depending on the construction of the shed either electric infrared panels or an electric underfloor mesh are the most efficient electric heaters you could install. I suspect underfloor heating would be too fiddly in a shed, so IR panels are the way to go.

I don't want to go to such expense heating the shed and want to keep it simple. I'm gonna insulate it so I'm thinking either an oil filed heater or convector, its not as if I'm gonna be living in it just using it from time to time.

Chris 23-04-2022 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36119901)
I don't want to go to such expense heating the shed and want to keep it simple. I'm gonna insulate it so I'm thinking either an oil filed heater or convector, its not as if I'm gonna be living in it just using it from time to time.

If you are inclined to fit electric heaters, use infrared panels in preference to oil radiators or convectors. Infrared panels are more efficient.

pip08456 23-04-2022 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36119903)
If you are inclined to fit electric heaters, use infrared panels in preference to oil radiators or convectors. Infrared panels are more efficient.

For over 25yrs I've been visiting a friend in London with a shed/bar in the garden. Never more than a halogen heater and never been uncomfortable.

Chris 23-04-2022 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36119906)
For over 25yrs I've been visiting a friend in London with a shed/bar in the garden. Never more than a halogen heater and never been uncomfortable.

Any of these technologies will work just fine. The opportunity though is to fit the most efficient, seeing as it’s a new project and the cost of electricity is going through the roof. IR panels are a quicker and cheaper way of heating the space than any of the older direct electric methods.

Paul 23-04-2022 20:13

Clearly I'm behind in heating technology, Ive never heard of IR Panels until just now.

GrimUpNorth 23-04-2022 21:10

We have a mixture of halogen and IR in the sauna but the majority of the heating is IR.

alanbjames 23-04-2022 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36119910)
Any of these technologies will work just fine. The opportunity though is to fit the most efficient, seeing as it’s a new project and the cost of electricity is going through the roof. IR panels are a quicker and cheaper way of heating the space than any of the older direct electric methods.

I do want to heat as cheaply as I can yes but not spending extortionate costing heaters.

Taf 24-04-2022 13:40

1 Attachment(s)
If you are going to heat. I would suggest insulating the shed as best you can. Rockwool slabs are good and also light and fireproof.

alanbjames 24-04-2022 15:35

I always thought Rockwool was flammable, strange.

pip08456 24-04-2022 16:40

Quote:

ROCKWOOL insulation is a key component in fire-resistant buildings. Stone wool insulation can withstand temperatures above 1,000º C and is inherently non-combustible, so it can help ensure a fire in a building does not become a building on fire.
https://www.rockwool.com/group/about...re-resistance/

Taf 24-04-2022 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36119952)
I always thought Rockwool was flammable, strange.

Quote:

ROCKWOOL insulation is a key component in fire-resistant buildings. Stone wool insulation can withstand temperatures above 1,000º C and is inherently non-combustible, so it can help ensure a fire in a building does not become a building on fire.
https://www.rockwool.com/group/about...ng%20on%20fire.

pip08456 24-04-2022 17:54

<removed>