Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Moving from Virgin to Sky (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711773)

tcavanagh 08-03-2023 16:15

Moving from Virgin to Sky

Hi all

I'm moving from virgin to sky, due to price increase. I've been with Virgin from the start and never changed provider before. How would you swap over. I assume that I give Virgin a months notice and purchase my Sky package just before the end of my months notice. I don't want to be left without TV or internet or paying for both at the same time.

Any advice would be welcomed.

daveeb 08-03-2023 20:36

Re: Moving from Virgin to Sky

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcavanagh (Post 36147687)
Hi all

I'm moving from virgin to sky, due to price increase. I've been with Virgin from the start and never changed provider before. How would you swap over. I assume that I give Virgin a months notice and purchase my Sky package just before the end of my months notice. I don't want to be left without TV or internet or paying for both at the same time.

Any advice would be welcomed.

I'd ask Sky for an estimate of the lead time to get you connected up, bearing in mind you're relying on Openreach to do the work. There's likely to be some overlap of services unless you run it close to the wire and risk being without anything for a period.

EBO48 08-03-2023 22:58

My experience is that openreach took 2 months to instal the BB as i wasn't porting the tel no The sky tv was about one week, I was keeping the BB from virgin (2 systems running in house)

nialli 09-03-2023 07:23

Are you looking at a dish or Stream for the TV? If the latter and you book online (Sky.com) you can select an install date for the broadband. Lead time seems to be a few weeks currently.
I’m out of contract with VM in June and have negotiated a reduced rate on my Volt deal until then. Sky offers are attractive at the moment and their T&Cs aren’t as inflationary as Virgin’s. I plan to call both Sky and Virgin in May

tcavanagh 09-03-2023 09:12

Thank you all for your advice. Gosh, very long lead times, need to get cracking.

punkrock101 09-03-2023 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcavanagh (Post 36147742)
Thank you all for your advice. Gosh, very long lead times, need to get cracking.

Probably all the Virgin customers leaving in droves. :p:

Mr K 09-03-2023 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkrock101 (Post 36147789)
Probably all the Virgin customers leaving in droves. :p:

That VM postal box in Sunderland had better be big ;)

Big_les 29-10-2023 12:29

VM will be getting my letter very soon, as Openreach is now installing in my road :)

Quick question to save opening another thread. Do I have to use a Sky provided router, or can I use my own?

GrimUpNorth 29-10-2023 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_les (Post 36163017)
VM will be getting my letter very soon, as Openreach is now installing in my road :)

Quick question to save opening another thread. Do I have to use a Sky provided router, or can I use my own?

I use the sky supplied router but other people use their own - there's plenty of discussion about it on the sky forum.

This may be a good place to start reading.

Jaymoss 29-10-2023 12:58

I took BT on as I could get the Social Tariff and they could do it within a week including an engineer visit to fix a box as my line was cut many months ago. I booked it for 2 weeks from my phone call.

No penalty contract with the Social Tariff so I had it installed so I could test it even though VM gave me a cracking deal. I will get rid of BT when I can not afford it as a spare connection but at least now I know that I can get a reliable connection through them

Big_les 29-10-2023 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36163019)
I use the sky supplied router but other people use their own - there's plenty of discussion about it on the sky forum.

This may be a good place to start reading.

Thanks for that. I do want to keep to my own router.

Rillington 03-12-2023 11:14

I think that it is worth stating for the benefit of people thinking of moving to Sky that, as with VM, their customer facing operation is mostly based overseas, mostly India, rather than in the UK, and that most will not transfer you to a UK call centre. The chances if getting the call answered by someone who is not in India is very low.