Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Changes to Virgin TV (2021) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709646)

japitts 18-02-2021 17:44

Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Ok I'll bite. Mrs japitts works in back-office admin for a financial services firm - their processes are still in turmoil to this day, heavily reliant on paper files and not helped by a round of cost-cutting redundancies a few months back.

Some of the external (i.e. from customers) emails she has to deal with are, frankly, outright rude - so I've developed a bit of grudging sympathy for firms who are genuinely trying to muddle through.

But this is OT for this thread.

ScottishSteve 18-02-2021 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36071182)
Is DMAX also set to close on March 1st? My TiVo has reveal that listings for both DMAX (Channel 171) and DMAX +1 (Channel 214) are saying on March 1st 'channel off air'. I have also seen online that Freeview has a UK Wide slot up for sale.

There are a few programs listed at 9am & 9pm on 2nd March on 360

Doubt it will be closing as it is advertised as part of Discovery Plus unlike the two channel that closed last month.

RichardCoulter 18-02-2021 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 36071183)
Ok I'll bite. Mrs japitts works in back-office admin for a financial services firm - their processes are still in turmoil to this day, heavily reliant on paper files and not helped by a round of cost-cutting redundancies a few months back.

Some of the external (i.e. from customers) emails she has to deal with are, frankly, outright rude - so I've developed a bit of grudging sympathy for firms who are genuinely trying to muddle through.

No biting neccessary in order to put your point across!

I'm surprised that a financial services firm is still reliant on paper files! I'm afraid I don't see the correlation with poor CS & rude customers.

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Quote:

Is DMAX also set to close on March 1st? My TiVo has reveal that listings for both DMAX (Channel 171) and DMAX +1 (Channel 214) are saying on March 1st 'channel off air'. I have also seen online that Freeview has a UK Wide slot up for sale.

I asked about this and this was Angus's reply, hope this helps:

It's post #586

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...dge/?pageNo=20

cheekyangus 18-02-2021 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071195)
I asked about this and this was Angus's reply, hope this helps:

It's post #586

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...dge/?pageNo=20

My reply was in context of Court TV, this DMAX speculation is just coming to my attention just now reading MB's post.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

DMAX has pretty decent ratings, especially relative to Discovery's other channels. I can't see it closing.

RichardCoulter 18-02-2021 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36071200)
My reply was in context of Court TV, this DMAX speculation is just coming to my attention just now reading MB's post.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

DMAX has pretty decent ratings, especially relative to Discovery's other channels. I can't see it closing.

I was thinking that it might explain the spare channel capacity that MB has seen ie if there are 2 spare, but one will be taken up by a news channel.

Legendkiller2k 18-02-2021 21:28

Quote:

It's not closing.

Raider999 18-02-2021 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 36071183)

I'd keep quiet about that if I were you.

Any company still relying on paper files is living in the dark ages. what would happen if there was a fire - no more customer service?

Absolutely no excuses for a company not to be back up to speed after 10 months +

Legendkiller2k 18-02-2021 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36071219)
I'd keep quiet about that if I were you.

Any company still relying on paper files is living in the dark ages. what would happen if there was a fire - no more customer service?

Absolutely no excuses for a company not to be back up to speed after 10 months +

Agree one of the priorities at work was to get back up to capacity, we had a target of just 1 month, these big companies have got it easy imo.
If our customer service was poor it would be very costly for the company.

cheekyangus 19-02-2021 10:53

Not all work processes can go paperless, it's not a question of simply being "behind the times". And even paperfree businesses can have problems because of it.

Also, all businesses are different, just because many can cope with changing things in a short time period doesn't mean they all can, even big businesses. Even though I may dislike a company or their service unless you work there you don't know why things are the way they are.

The general public usually have a greatly simplified idea of what goes on and is required to do something. In my own work life I've seen how complicated, how many things need factored in for something that looks outwardly straightforward. What looks to the outside world as "you just do A, B and C" is actually more like "you need to do A to Z, Aa-Zn and then go back to Fr846" and those that work there are wanting to curl up into a ball in a dark room...and that was pre-Covid. And that can just be the regulations.

Back on topic...the EPG still says Channel Off-Air for DMAX, so I was wondering...maybe it's getting replaced by a HD version on VM? Not saying it's likely, just an alternative suggestion to closing.

Legendkiller2k 19-02-2021 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36071244)
Not all work processes can go paperless, it's not a question of simply being "behind the times". And even paperfree businesses can have problems because of it.

Also, all businesses are different, just because many can cope with changing things in a short time period doesn't mean they all can, even big businesses. Even though I may dislike a company or their service unless you work there you don't know why things are the way they are.

The general public usually have a greatly simplified idea of what goes on and is required to do something. In my own work life I've seen how complicated, how many things need factored in for something that looks outwardly straightforward. What looks to the outside world as "you just do A, B and C" is actually more like "you need to do A to Z, Aa-Zn and then go back to Fr846" and those that work there are wanting to curl up into a ball in a dark room...and that was pre-Covid. And that can just be the regulations.

Back on topic...the EPG still says Channel Off-Air for DMAX, so I was wondering...maybe it's getting replaced by a HD version on VM? Not saying it's likely, just an alternative suggestion to closing.

I think it's more a EPG thing no HD version is on the horizon as far as we know, then again we never got info about Lifetime closing lol.

newapollo 19-02-2021 13:41

DMAX and the +1 are both showing off air on March 1st and 2nd, however the EPG is populated again from the 3rd March.

ScottishSteve 19-02-2021 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by newapollo (Post 36071260)
DMAX and the +1 are both showing off air on March 1st and 2nd, however the EPG is populated again from the 3rd March.

My 360 has listings on all days now

RichardCoulter 19-02-2021 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36071244)

I agree, however, customers don't need to know (or care) what goes on behind the scenes. All they care about is the service they receive for their money and, if it's dire, the company has to somehow improve or risk losing customers.

VM CS is absolutely shocking and, again, they have lost TV customers.

cheekyangus 19-02-2021 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071312)
I agree, however, customers don't need to know (or care) what goes on behind the scenes. All they care about is the service they receive for their money and, if it's dire, the company has to somehow improve or risk losing customers.

VM CS is absolutely shocking and, again, they have lost TV customers.

Don't disagree with that in general. I've had nothing but good Customer Service from VM, so it's not universal. I have a friend who had shocking service from them though, so I don't disbelieve any of it.

And all the long-standing TV companies are losing customers, it's not all down to bad service, much of it is the march of technology, new types of offerings, and change in demand.

OLD BOY 19-02-2021 23:45

I’ve always received good service from Virgin Media, and that includes the out-of-hours Indian call centres.

My conclusion is that either:

1. Service varies from region to region or

2. The customers who complain are being either hostile or unreasonable.

Seriously, I don’t know which is correct. I can only speak from my own experience.

My daughter recently had an awful experience with Sky. I don’t think VM would have treated her like that.

By the way, both my daughters, who experienced VM while living with us, say they would subscribe to VM if they had that option.

Better the devil you know, I guess.

RichardCoulter 20-02-2021 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36071320)
I’ve always received good service from Virgin Media, and that includes the out-of-hours Indian call centres.

My conclusion is that either:

1. Service varies from region to region or

2. The customers who complain are being either hostile or unreasonable.

Seriously, I don’t know which is correct. I can only speak from my own experience.

My daughter recently had an awful experience with Sky. I don’t think VM would have treated her like that.

By the way, both my daughters, who experienced VM while living with us, say they would subscribe to VM if they had that option.

Better the devil you know, I guess.

A professional would be just that regardless of how a customer expressed themselves (which they may not be able to help eg autistic people sometimes come across as being abrupt).

The dire service i'm referring to at the moment is that VM is impossible to contact, even for cancellations or faults (the latter I have petsonal experience of).

Euronews looks like it will be disappearing from our screens:

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/euronews-f...nancial-crisis

SonicMaster 20-02-2021 00:11

I've had to contact VM CS a couple of times recently and had no problem getting through to them at all. A 150 call both times with a bit of a wait but not unreasonable, and the UK call handler couldn't have been any more helpful.

OLD BOY 20-02-2021 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071326)
A professional would be just that regardless of how a customer expressed themselves (which they may not be able to help eg autistic people sometimes come across as being abrupt).

The dire service i'm referring to at the moment is that VM is impossible to contact, even for cancellations or faults (the latter I have petsonal experience of).

Euronews looks like it will be disappearing from our screens:

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/euronews-f...nancial-crisis

I don’t think that anyone should feel obliged to appease rudeness, Richard. Excuse or no excuse.

I cannot comment on the ‘dire service’ you refer to. We only have your word for that.

I can only say that I contacted VM not too long ago. No problems experienced.

Legendkiller2k 20-02-2021 02:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36071319)
Don't disagree with that in general. I've had nothing but good Customer Service from VM, so it's not universal. I have a friend who had shocking service from them though, so I don't disbelieve any of it.

And all the long-standing TV companies are losing customers, it's not all down to bad service, much of it is the march of technology, new types of offerings, and change in demand.

Had shocking cs myself from VM but know many who have had excellent cs.
Same with SKY i've had excellents cs from them yet i know a few who've had poor cs from them.

RichardCoulter 20-02-2021 03:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36071329)
I don’t think that anyone should feel obliged to appease rudeness, Richard. Excuse or no excuse.

I cannot comment on the ‘dire service’ you refer to. We only have your word for that.

I can only say that I contacted VM not too long ago. No problems experienced.

What if the 'rudeness' is simply the result of someones inability to express themselves in the manner expected due to a mental disability? What if someone with tourettes syndrome has a tick that involves swearing, as many do? Being unprofessional could be viewed as unlawful disability discrimination in these cases.

You arrogantly refer to these as 'excuses'. This is as ridiculous as saying that someone who lost their hand in an accident is using this as an excuse to be rude by not shaking someones hand!

If you think for some reason that i'm lying, don't take my word for it then, take a look at the various posts all over the internet (including their own community forum).

---------- Post added at 03:30 ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36071331)
Had shocking cs myself from VM but know many who have had excellent cs.
Same with SKY i've had excellents cs from them yet i know a few who've had poor cs from them.

On the balance of probabilities, I expect some people will actually be able to get through to them and will get through to a professional member of staff who can speak good English.

Others, including myself, tried for weeks or months to sort out issues.

I never had any problems with Sky, but the last time I contacted them was over 20 years ago. Hopefully they haven't gone downhill too!

ozsat 20-02-2021 05:51

What if somebody has this disability - should they be prevented from taking certain jobs that they may actually be technically very good at?

Should somebody with tourettes be prevented from getting a job in customer support - just because it may offend the callers?

It could be that some of the rudeness from CS and TS staff at many companies is actually down to some form of disability with a few of the operators.

Should somebody with a disability which can appear to be rudeness - be so quick to complain where somebody they are seeking support from is rude to them?

Percentage wise - I've had as many bad calls with Sky as I have with VM - still subscribe to both, but not had many from either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071332)
What if the 'rudeness' is simply the result of someones inability to express themselves in the manner expected due to a mental disability? What if someone with tourettes syndrome has a tick that involves swearing, as many do? Being unprofessional could be viewed as unlawful disability discrimination in these cases.

You arrogantly refer to these as 'excuses'. This is as ridiculous as saying that someone who lost their hand in an accident is using this as an excuse to be rude by not shaking someones hand!

If you think for some reason that i'm lying, don't take my word for it then, take a look at the various posts all over the internet (including their own community forum).

---------- Post added at 03:30 ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 ----------

On the balance of probabilities, I expect some people will actually be able to get through to them and will get through to a professional member of staff who can speak good English.

Others, including myself, tried for weeks or months to sort out issues.

I never had any problems with Sky, but the last time I contacted them was over 20 years ago. Hopefully they haven't gone downhill too!

RichardCoulter 20-02-2021 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36071337)
What if somebody has this disability - should they be prevented from taking certain jobs that they may actually be technically very good at?

Should somebody with tourettes be prevented from getting a job in customer support - just because it may offend the callers?

It could be that some of the rudeness from CS and TS staff at many companies is actually down to some form of disability with a few of the operators.

Should somebody with a disability which can appear to be rudeness - be so quick to complain where somebody they are seeking support from is rude to them?

Percentage wise - I've had as many bad calls with Sky as I have with VM - still subscribe to both, but not had many from either.

I doubt that someone who wasn't able to communicate in an appropriate/acceptable manner due to a disability would be given a customer facing roll for obvious reasons.

ozsat 20-02-2021 09:16

But that is discrimination due to disablity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071338)
I doubt that someone who wasn't able to communicate in an appropriate/acceptable manner due to a disability would be given a customer facing roll for obvious reasons.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

I think it is one of the occasional glitches you see having an EPG beyond seven days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newapollo (Post 36071260)

gimpymoo 20-02-2021 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36070520)
The future is streaming. But that is a subject for another thread!

The writing has been on the wall for the last decade. Just a matter of where the tide mark would be.

As a kid, I longed for my own phone line for internet access and analogue cable TV in my bedroom.

Through the years, switched to broadband, got rid of the telephone line, got rid of the TV... now just need broadband.

Linear scheduled TV is as dead as the dinosaurs and only really relevant for those who are stuck in their ways, not to be disrespectful to anybody but that is the truth but even the older generation with apps built into their TV's are able to use iPlayer.

Remember when VOD was the jewel in the Cable crown? I wonder how much that cost them, in the grand scheme of things, it was merely a stepping stone.

How long before the cable TV model is obsolete and the cable STB is literally a posh Roku box if it is not nearly one already.

fox35 20-02-2021 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimpymoo (Post 36071346)
How long before the cable TV model is obsolete and the cable STB is literally a posh Roku box if it is not nearly one already.

Indeed. It's already here...https://www.displaydaily.com/article...st-set-top-box

1andrew1 20-02-2021 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimpymoo (Post 36071346)

No box needed, you can just use plug the cable feed into the TV in many countries but cable companies like to own the customer interface and greater security hence the box.

1701-e 20-02-2021 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36071327)
I've had to contact VM CS a couple of times recently and had no problem getting through to them at all. A 150 call both times with a bit of a wait but not unreasonable, and the UK call handler couldn't have been any more helpful.

Same here and the longest wait was 15 minutes. Ended up with a price reduction for 18 months and that was the overseas call centre.

TMLeafs 20-02-2021 13:36

Do we not get BT Sport ultimate in HDR? Just got a new OLED telly
We get Atmos

ozsat 20-02-2021 14:57

Ultimate in HDR is for BT apps only - no platform has it - not even BTtv.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLeafs (Post 36071398)
Do we not get BT Sport ultimate in HDR? Just got a new OLED telly
We get Atmos

RichardCoulter 20-02-2021 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36071340)
But that is discrimination due to disablity.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

[/COLOR]I think it is one of the occasional glitches you see having an EPG beyond seven days.

It is, but not all discrimination is unlawful. Where reasonable & appropriate people can be barred from doing certain jobs eg white people working as a waiter in an Asian rstaurant, women working in a sensitive all male environment etc.

Would you get on a train with a blind driver!

An EPG going beyond 7 days shouldn't cause any issues in itself, it's the usual poor quality from the company doing the VM EPG these days.

ozsat 20-02-2021 16:55

But slagging off somebody at CS who has been poor or abusive may be slagging off somebody with a disability - like yourself. Some people are finding it hard to cope mentally at this time.

Its seems ok to slag off people without knowing if they have a 'disability' - but can not be slagged off yourself due to a 'disablility'.

I often find that when speaking to somebody at CS/TS who is not helpful or is stuck to a script - it is often easier to hangup and start again.

So how come it would be wrong to employ a white person in an Asian restaurant? That sound racist!

This is off topic really so shouldn't go any further here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071407)
It is, but not all discrimination is unlawful. Where reasonable & appropriate people can be barred from doing certain jobs eg white people working as a waiter in an Asian rstaurant, women working in a sensitive all male environment etc.

Would you get on a train with a blind driver!

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Many channels do not release 14 days ahead - like ITV and BBC.

As this was an issue from the 1st of the month and was more than 10 days - perhaps it was the channel. But the guide data current is sometimes poor quality from the supplier - I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071407)
An EPG going beyond 7 days shouldn't cause any issues in itself, it's the usual poor quality from the company doing the VM EPG these days.

TMLeafs 20-02-2021 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36071405)
Ultimate in HDR is for BT apps only - no platform has it - not even BTtv.

That seems crazy just found this

Quote:

You can watch selected programmes in 4K and selected events in 4K HDR on BT Sport Ultimate using a smartphone, tablet, Samsung Smart TV and games console, as well as streaming using Apple TV and Google Chromecast.
the chelsea game earlier still looked amazing without it, sky sports 4K needs to hurry up and come to virgin

Frazz 20-02-2021 19:05

Thought this thread was changes to Virgin TV not about Customer Service. Just had to trawl through a lot of drivel that has nothing to do with the thread

RichardCoulter 20-02-2021 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36071419)
But slagging off somebody at CS who has been poor or abusive may be slagging off somebody with a disability - like yourself. Some people are finding it hard to cope mentally at this time.

Its seems ok to slag off people without knowing if they have a 'disability' - but can not be slagged off yourself due to a 'disablility'.

I often find that when speaking to somebody at CS/TS who is not helpful or is stuck to a script - it is often easier to hangup and start again.

So how come it would be wrong to employ a white person in an Asian restaurant? That sound racist!

This is off topic really so shouldn't go any further here.

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Many channels do not release 14 days ahead - like ITV and BBC.

As this was an issue from the 1st of the month and was more than 10 days - perhaps it was the channel. But the guide data current is sometimes poor quality from the supplier - I agree.

In the situation you describe, Virgin Media would be ill advised to put such people onto frontline services as it would undoubtedly tarnish their reputation even more. Legally, disability discrimination cannot take place if it's not known that the person in question is disabled.

The law also contains provision that specific races can be employed in order to maintain an authentic customer experience eg in an Indian restaurant.

I see what you mean about the advance EPG & channels not releasing their schedules in advance. It seems odd though that there would be a gap in the middle of their released schedule. Channel 5 isn't showing any information from next Saturday on my box btw.

ozsat 21-02-2021 06:48

Channel 5 channels have been a problem for months now and are always late on VM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071450)
I see what you mean about the advance EPG & channels not releasing their schedules in advance. It seems odd though that there would be a gap in the middle of their released schedule. Channel 5 isn't showing any information from next Saturday on my box btw.

denphone 21-02-2021 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36071476)
Channel 5 channels have been a problem for months now and are always late on VM.

l always look at the EPG guide once a week and you are right that the Channel 5 channels have been a problem for months.

Surely this should have been sorted out by now.

Its the same sometimes with the Sky Sports Racing channel and a few other channels as well.

jobbie8 24-02-2021 22:23

MTV Play app is at the top of the list on this new VirginTV page dated today (4th)

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...virgin-tv-apps

cheekyangus 25-02-2021 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobbie8 (Post 36071846)
MTV Play app is at the top of the list on this new VirginTV page dated today (4th)

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...virgin-tv-apps

It's on the Apps section of my V6 now.

That link doesn't specify if on TV360, so someone else will have to confirm that.

fox35 25-02-2021 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36071862)

That link doesn't specify if on TV360, so someone else will have to confirm that.

No. Still no All4, My5, Pluto, or MTVPlay on the 360 box. Appalling.
But, we get WSJ and DW instead. WTF??

cheekyangus 25-02-2021 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36071878)
No. Still no All4, My5, Pluto, or MTVPlay on the 360 box. Appalling.
But, we get WSJ and DW instead. WTF??

WSJ and DW were already available on other Horizon-based TV services in other countries. May as well add as many apps as are available for the software.

Media Boy UK 25-02-2021 12:15

Quote:

UHD for Sky Entertainment and Sky Cinema arrives on Thursday 25th February for an extra £6 a month. You have to be on at least the maxit/full house or oomph/VIP bundles to get it and have a V6 or 360 box.

Information was given to Media Boy HQ on Tuesday but we just logon today.

jobbie8 25-02-2021 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36071862)

MTV Play free for a couple of weeks and then £3.99 a month according to the Upgrade TV app on V6

I wonder if there's much difference from the V6 OnDemand version to the MTV Play app to justify the cost?

BenMcr 25-02-2021 14:03

The MTV app should only chargeable on Mixit TV or Player, who don't get MTV. Everyone else should have it included.

Ultimate.Conj 26-02-2021 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36071910)

Information was given to Media Boy HQ on Tuesday but we just logon today.

New customers to the Ultimate Oomph bundle will get this for free

BenMcr 26-02-2021 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36071935)
The MTV app should only chargeable on Mixit TV or Player, who don't get MTV. Everyone else should have it included.

Need to correct this.

Anyone on Mixit with the Lifestyle Personal Pick will also get it included.

Ultimate.Conj 26-02-2021 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36072081)
Need to correct this.

Anyone on Mixit with the Lifestyle Personal Pick will also get it included.

Ben, apologies for asking

As the UHD for Sky Entertainment and Sky Cinema is under a paywall for the majority of VM customers, do you think it's likely the same with happen for Sky Sports UHD?

BenMcr 26-02-2021 13:08

No idea. No-one out of the content negotiation teams will know until it's announced.

Legendkiller2k 26-02-2021 13:11

<Edit wrong thread>

RichardCoulter 26-02-2021 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj (Post 36072096)
Ben, apologies for asking

As the UHD for Sky Entertainment and Sky Cinema is under a paywall for the majority of VM customers, do you think it's likely the same with happen for Sky Sports UHD?

If those two genres are behind a paywall, I feel sure that sport will definitely be.

Dave42 26-02-2021 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36072155)
If those two genres are behind a paywall, I feel sure that sport will definitely be.

hopefully not as we still pay extra for hd for sports hopefully be upgraded

cheekyangus 26-02-2021 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36072156)

Sky Sport still has SD on VM whereas Sky Cinema doesn't. Quite possible SD Sport will disappear when UHD Sport is introduced. This further thing requiring to be sorted out may be why UHD Sport wasn't launched alongside the Entertainment and Cinema offerings.

RichardCoulter 26-02-2021 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36072156)

Back in 2018, on satellite, Sky Sports enabled HD for everybody, scrapped the £6 HD charge and increased the general price by £2. Meaning that SD subscribers paid £2 more, even if they only had an SD box or TV and former HD subscribers had a £4 reduction.

Is this different on Virgin Media?

Rob King 27-02-2021 01:19

I still pay £7 for sky Sports HD Channels!!!!

vincerooney 27-02-2021 01:48

My friend has the original tivo box and the superhub 2. Any idea how I can get him upgraded with his tech?

RichardCoulter 27-02-2021 04:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob King (Post 36072202)
I still pay £7 for sky Sports HD Channels!!!!

Must be different on VM then.

Legendkiller2k 27-02-2021 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36072204)
Must be different on VM then.

Yeah but for HD in entertainment SKY still charge £6p/m and a extra £4p/m for UHD, however you do get UHD free if you have multiroom.
Imo it's ridicolous charging for HD in this day and age.

Raider999 27-02-2021 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36072229)
Yeah but for HD in entertainment SKY still charge £6p/m and a extra £4p/m for UHD, however you do get UHD free if you have multiroom.

I've got skyQ with multi room and I do not get UHD free!

Legendkiller2k 27-02-2021 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36072231)

Contact them mate.

Edit: just seen on SKYs forums they have now stopped including UHD in multiscreen as of July last year, shows how long it's been since i had multiroom lol.

OLD BOY 27-02-2021 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36072231)

Well VM gives you UHD for free on the full house-type packages, except for the Sky content.

It’s just Sky that likes to charge extra for the picture quality content.

Hopefully, competitors will put them to shame for this practice sooner rather than later.

ScottishSteve 28-02-2021 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072266)
Well VM gives you UHD for free on the full house-type packages, except for the Sky content.

It’s just Sky that likes to charge extra for the picture quality content.

Hopefully, competitors will put them to shame for this practice sooner rather than later.

They do already

Amazon Prime & Disney + offer UHD sometimes in HDR

Yet on Now TV it is an extra £3 a month for HD

Shocking when your already paying a tenner a month for a handful of channels or £12 for Cinema

Legendkiller2k 28-02-2021 02:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36072302)
They do already

Shocking when your already paying a tenner a month for a handful of channels or £12 for Cinema

Netflix also charge extra for HD and UHD. SKY Cinema price is a joke imo without offers £12 on Nowtv or £19 on SKY, there is a £5.99p/m offer going around for SKY Cinema on Nowtv atm, and on SKY it's £11p/m.

muppetman11 28-02-2021 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36072302)
They do already

Completely agree , it's madness on the part of Sky.

With competitors content available in both HD , UHD and HDR and offering the ability to watch on a wide range of devices and upto 4 concurrent streams its laughable that both Sky and Virgin continue with these absurd amounts for greater picture quality and multiroom.

Last time I looked Sky was something like £14 for Multiroom :shocked:

Legendkiller2k 28-02-2021 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36072316)
Completely agree , it's madness on the part of Sky.

With competitors content available in both HD , UHD and HDR and offering the ability to watch on a wide range of devices and upto 4 concurrent streams its laughable that both Sky and Virgin continue with these absurd amounts for greater picture quality and multiroom.

Last time I looked Sky was something like £14 for Multiroom :shocked:

Yeah £14 is standard price their excuse is "oh but you can have upto 4 boxes at £50 each though"
There is a offer on my account atm multiroom £10p/m with 2 free boxes then £50 per additional box, still a no from me i'll just use SKYGO on my chromebook lol.

PtolemyIV 28-02-2021 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36072229)

Especially the abhorrent quality of Sky Sports "HD" on Virgin :)

Mad Max 28-02-2021 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by PtolemyIV (Post 36072367)

Do you really think that's the correct description of their HD feed?
Looks fine on my TV, maybe you need a new telly.:D

cheekyangus 28-02-2021 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by PtolemyIV (Post 36072367)

Don't look at Sky Sports Mix SD then... I swear it's got worse over the last year or so. Odd how likes of Sky 1 SD and the Sky Witness SD have pretty reasonable picture quality, but Mix SD is noticeably worse.

PtolemyIV 01-03-2021 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36072398)
Don't look at Sky Sports Mix SD then... I swear it's got worse over the last year or so. Odd how likes of Sky 1 SD and the Sky Witness SD have pretty reasonable picture quality, but Mix SD is noticeably worse.

I have an LG OLED. It is markedly worse than football on other HD channels

Raider999 01-03-2021 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36072398)

Not good on SkyQ either.

Mix is listed under sports in the SkyQ EPG but you don't get HD included even though you have it free for sports channels!

SonicMaster 01-03-2021 16:58

Article on Virgin TV Edit about the new MTV Play app:

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...p-on-virgin-tv

I'm not entirely sure what content the app includes that wasn't already available via the main On Demand and Catch Up menus but I'm sure some viewers will find it useful with everything in one place.

A press release has also gone out today with a few quotes including... "Virgin TV is all about giving our customers all of their favourite content and streaming apps in one place."

I expect the arrival of Disney+ and Discovery+ will be met with a much bigger reaction.

SonicMaster 01-03-2021 20:12

Lifetime HD closed as scheduled. The closure slate is a bit random, they've redirected viewers to other channels like usual and the inclusion of both TLC and MTV makes sense, but Sky One and Paramount Network don't. I think they should have listed ITVBe and CBS Reality which are aimed at the kind of demographic that Lifetime HD was.

jobbie8 01-03-2021 20:13

Lifetime HD closed at midnight last night

ScottishSteve 02-03-2021 14:03

Not for 2021 but looks like BBC THREE will be making a linear comeback in Jan 2022

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/20...5Bpost+type%5D

SonicMaster 07-03-2021 16:58

Virgin TV channel guide (updated for March 2021)
https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...-channel-guide

Desktop:
https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...March_2021.pdf

Mobile:
https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...March_2021.pdf

Jamesr3y 08-03-2021 09:51

Looks like Channel 198 for YouTube has now closed. Saying you need to go via the app section now

OLD BOY 08-03-2021 18:48

...Which is far easier than scratching around for the channel number on the EPG.

djmagnifique 08-03-2021 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesr3y (Post 36073483)
Looks like Channel 198 for YouTube has now closed. Saying you need to go via the app section now

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073561)
...Which is far easier than scratching around for the channel number on the EPG.

You can also get to the YouTube app through 'My Shows', it's at the bottom below your recordings.

SonicMaster 09-03-2021 18:56

Does anyone here know if VM still plans to fix the broken Radioline app on the V6?

This handy app made up for the very poor range of radio stations available in the EPG.

spiderplant 09-03-2021 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36073681)
Does anyone here know if VM still plans to fix the broken Radioline app on the V6?

Yes, hopefully won't be too much longer.

fox35 09-03-2021 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36073684)

What about the missing All4, My5 apps on the 360?

spiderplant 09-03-2021 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36073711)
What about the missing All4, My5 apps on the 360?

No idea :)

Tricky Trevor 10-03-2021 07:15

I was wondering about Radioline a few days ago. I've got my remotes coming today
for my upgrade to Virgin 360 so I'm hoping that it will be working in the app store.

spiderplant 10-03-2021 11:14

Yeah, Radioline works on the 360.

SonicMaster 10-03-2021 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36073684)

Thanks 👍

Tricky Trevor 10-03-2021 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36073760)

Thank you Spiderplant, I saw it and played a few stations after I updated to it this morning.

cheekyangus 11-03-2021 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36073433)

Wonder if one day they'll remove France 24 French HD (832) from those TV Listings. It's not been available for quite some time.

Alternative language streams are available by pressing Red on France 24 English HD (624) and then going to the language section.

fox35 11-03-2021 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36073760)

Indeed. However, it's become very limited and selective in its content compared to its previous incarnation on VM.

BenMcr 11-03-2021 12:18

What's missing from Radioline app?

Just to check here, you're definitely using the Radioline app from Apps and not the 'Radio' option from the Guide?

fox35 11-03-2021 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36073893)
What's missing from Radioline app?

Just to check here, you're definitely using the Radioline app from Apps and not the 'Radio' option from the Guide?

Yes in the app section. talkRadio, Smooth Country missing from the radio section. Unless they're hidden away somewhere in the rather clunky menu.

newapollo 11-03-2021 14:00

Smooth Country is there if you click on the menu and do a search by typing it in.

Media Boy UK 12-03-2021 13:50

I think Virgin Media need an wee tiny up (If channels not list they stay on same EPG number as now)

Entertainment & Lifestyle::
104. Channel 4 HD
106. E4 HD
107. BBC THREE HD (For rumoured January 2022 launch)
108. BBC FOUR HD
109. BBC ONE London HD (England only)
109. BBC Scotland HD (Scotland only)
109. Channel 4 (Wales only)
110. Sky One HD
111. Sky Witness HD
112. Sky Comedy HD
115. ITV2 HD
117. ITV3 HD
118. ITV4 HD
119. ITVBe HD
121. Sky Arts HD
122. Sky Crime HD
123. SYFY HD
125. W HD
126. Alibi HD
127. Dave HD
135. E! HD
136. Sky Replay
137. Challenge
138. Pick
139. Sky Witness +1
140. Sky Crime +1
141. Channel 4 +1
142. 4Seven HD
143. E4 +1
144. More4 HD
145. More4 +1
146. 4Music
147. CBS Reality
148. CBS Justice
156. S4C HD
157. FOX HD
160. SYFY +1
163. TLC HD
164. ID
165. Quest HD
166. Quest Red
167. DMAX
168. Food Network
169. HGTV
170. TLC +1
171. ID +1
172. Quest +1
173. DMAX +1
176. Comedy Central Extra
177. BET
178. 5 USA +1
179. 5STAR +1
180. CBS Reality +1
181. CBS Drama
182. horror channel +1
183. Comedy Central Extra
184. BET
185. 5 USA +1
186. 5STAR +1
187. Sony Channel
188. GOLD +1
189. W +1
190. Alibi +1
191. YESTERDAY +1
192. Drama +1
193. Netfilx (Only on V6 Boxes).
194. Prime Video (Only on V6 Boxes).
195. Virgin TV Ultra HD (Only on V6 Boxes).
196. Crime + Investigation HD
197. Crime + Investigation +1
198. Blaze
199. HGTV +1
200. God Channel

Factual:
251. Eden HD
252. Eden +1
253. Discovery Channel HD
254. Animal Planet HD
255. Discovery Channel +1
256. Discovery Science
257. Discovery Turbo
258. Discovery History
259. Discovery Channel +1
260. Animal Planet +1
261. Discovery Science +1
262. Discovery History +1
263. Nat Geo WILD HD
264. National Geographic HD
265. National Geographic +1
266. Together TV
267. Sky History HD
268. Sky History +1
269. Sky History 2 HD
270. PBS America
271. Forces TV
272. Smithsonian Channel HD
273. Sky Documentaries HD
274. Sky Nature HD

ScottishSteve 12-03-2021 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36073984)
I think Virgin Media need an wee tiny up (If channels not list they stay on same EPG number as now)

The 360 has had most of the HD swaps that you listed if applicable to your package and the SD channels completely removed.

Will be interesting to see where BBC 3 returns to number wise.

Why should they take a top 20 slot just because they are (re)launching a new channel.

RichardCoulter 12-03-2021 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36074068)
The 360 has had most of the HD swaps that you listed if applicable to your package and the SD channels completely removed.

Why should they take a top 20 slot just because they are (re)launching a new channel.

Legally it will have to be given due prominence. E4 may have to move back to where it came from.

ScottishSteve 12-03-2021 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36074079)
Legally it will have to be given due prominence. E4 may have to move back to where it came from.

Which is crazy, if the BBC decide to launch more channels others will have to be shunted further down.

IIRC Channel4 bid high to get the channel number for E4 when BBC 3 departed

cheekyangus 13-03-2021 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36074068)

Because PSB channels have OFCOM rules re: EPG prominence that came into effect January 2021. Certain ones need to be in the Top 8 positions, others in the Top 24, some in top positions for their Category e.g. News or Children's.

BBC3 is PSB, and (I think) the only PSB for that demographic of the population. BBC4 is supposedly going to be transititioned into being more of an archive channel, with it's first run content moving to BBC2.

---------- Post added 13-03-2021 at 00:00 ---------- Previous post was 12-03-2021 at 23:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36074081)
Which is crazy, if the BBC decide to launch more channels others will have to be shunted further down.

And VM have left the old E4 channel number empty ever since. It has always seemed to me this suggested VM thought they may have to move it back, even if it was simply because a rival broadcaster outbid Channel 4 for 106 at some point in the future.

ScottishSteve 13-03-2021 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36074082)
Because PSB channels have OFCOM rules re: EPG prominence that came into effect January 2021. Certain ones need to be in the Top 8 positions, others in the Top 24, some in top positions for their Category e.g. News or Children's.

Absolutely I know that but it gives the BBC an unfair advantage over commercial broadcasters for when and it they decide to launch any new linear channels that they would take prominence over the likes of Sky and Viacom channels among others.

It’s a crazy rule and Sky, Virgin, Freeview and Freesat will all have to find space by booting another channel out.

cheekyangus 13-03-2021 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36074084)
Absolutely I know that but it gives the BBC an unfair advantage over commercial broadcasters for when and it they decide to launch any new linear channels that they would take prominence over the likes of Sky and Viacom channels among others.

It’s a crazy rule and Sky, Virgin, Freeview and Freesat will all have to find space by booting another channel out.

Many of the articles I've read about BBC3 returning to broadcast form have said they have asked for it to be in Top 24. So they aren't taking it as a foregone conclusion that the new rules apply to them and will definitely benefit them in this case.

Itshim 13-03-2021 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36074081)

I have all the channels I watch in favourite . So what number it is, is very low on my list . In fact l very much doubt I could say what numbers outside the 5 are!

cheekyangus 25-03-2021 10:00

Spiderplant recently said the Radioline app would finally be fixed soon for the V6, it's been unavailable for months, so I just checked...

...and it's working again

spiderplant 25-03-2021 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36075243)
Spiderplant recently said the Radioline app would finally be fixed soon for the V6, it's been unavailable for months, so I just checked...

...and it's working again

Yay! You are in a pilot region for the fix. It won't work for most people yet.

cheekyangus 25-03-2021 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36075259)
Yay! You are in a pilot region for the fix. It won't work for most people yet.

Woo! Don't think I've been in one of those before on VM! :)

Explains why all my tuners where on VM What's On this morning. :D