Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Hub 5 - IP of NAS changed (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711806)

lemarsh 28-03-2023 09:13

Hub 5 - IP of NAS changed

1 Attachment(s)
morning all.

I have a synology nas attached to my Hub 5, with an ip address of 247. All was fine, until a prolonged power cut, which then re-assigned the ip address to 248.

I need to change it back to 247, and cant find a way to do so. I have gone into DHCP settings and reserved 247 with the mac address.

But it does not seem to take effect - even rebooted router.

If it was just 1 item i needed to change i would, but there are multiple pcs and devices looking for that ip address

Am i doing sdomething wrong? (Stuupid question - i probably

BenMcr 28-03-2023 09:42

Re: Hub 5 - IP of NAS changed

Have you tried a full reset of the Hub i.e. Pin Hole reset or via the UI?

lemarsh 28-03-2023 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36148868)
Have you tried a full reset of the Hub i.e. Pin Hole reset or via the UI?

Yes - just tried Pin reset. Reset woirked as needed to reset all passwords etc, but it stays on 248......:mad:

nomadking 28-03-2023 10:09

Although I have a Hub 3 and a separate router, I checked to see if the hub could do the same thing as my router and fix an allocated IP address.
For the Hub 3 it's in advanced settings->DHCP->Add reserved rule. It's messier than my router as you have to specify the MAC address. Once done, the IP address shouldn't change. You should be able to set it back to 147 or whatever you want.
Good idea to do that for anything where a PC needs to know the IP address, eg wireless printer.

Halcyon 28-03-2023 11:16

Can you go into the routers settings and change the DHCP range so it is outside of the NAS' IP.

So set it to something like .10 to .240

Then login to the NAS and set it a static IP of 247

Chrysalis 29-03-2023 04:04

If you are 100% sure you did the right MAC, then you need to reboot the NAS (or force a DHCP release), not the hub.

tweetiepooh 30-03-2023 09:54

Yes, releasing leases and getting IP's to update is a real pain.

nomadking 30-03-2023 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36148966)
Yes, releasing leases and getting IP's to update is a real pain.

As I've pointed out, you can permanently fix IP addresses. Those selected devices are no longer dynamically allocated their IP address. I already do so with my various devices, such as a NAS and wireless printer.

Not as straightforward with a superhub as it is with my Asus router, but no apparent reason why it can't be done.

Hom3r 03-04-2023 13:43

Save yourself agro and buy a seperate router, that way you can control IPs far easier.

nomadking 03-04-2023 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36149135)
Save yourself agro and buy a seperate router, that way you can control IPs far easier.

Can't the hub 5 do it in the same way as I described for the hub 3?

tweetiepooh 04-04-2023 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36148967)
As I've pointed out, you can permanently fix IP addresses. Those selected devices are no longer dynamically allocated their IP address. I already do so with my various devices, such as a NAS and wireless printer.

Not as straightforward with a superhub as it is with my Asus router, but no apparent reason why it can't be done.

Me too.
Routers, printers and other devices I may want to connect via IP address.

I set DHCP to give addresses between 100 and 200 and then use low numbers for network devices and high numbers for networked devices.

I may look at using a netmask like 255.255.254.0 so 192.168.2.? is used for fixed addresses and 192.168.3.? for DHCP but it's not really needed. I'm never going to have that many devices.

My other thought is to put IOT devices directly on the SH and the rest of the network on the other side of my router like a DMZ. Any compromise on the IOT devices can't then get into the rest of my network.