Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : £3000 spent and Virgin can't connect me (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709513)

Pukka 19-03-2021 11:40

Re: £3000 spent and Virgin can't connect me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36074787)
The difference here is that your image shows OPENREACH FTTP (the customer’s cabinet). For that to work with VM, he would need to be in a fibre area (FTTP) otherwise it can’t be done.

On that install it was FTTC, we had the openreach modem and the router in the cab, then converted it to fibre to run to the customers house. 550 meters away. they had a mains power connection put into this cabinet as they were having electric gates installed (with remote access) and CCTV (IP Camera)

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36074790)
Pukka, I'm curious what your line of business is ... what sort of customers do you normally serve with custom installs like that? I'm not sure I've ever come across a residential BT or VM customer putting that sort of kit into their garden to connect to a network.

I get involved in quite a few installs, it just about knowing how the OpenReach / Virgin Media system works.

We have done wireless point to multipoint links providing broadband to customers. this is normally a FTTC connection to a host site and then broadcast it on from their.

Sephiroth 19-03-2021 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pukka (Post 36074799)
On that install it was FTTC, we had the openreach modem and the router in the cab, then converted it to fibre to run to the customers house. 550 meters away. they had a mains power connection put into this cabinet as they were having electric gates installed (with remote access) and CCTV (IP Camera)

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

I get involved in quite a few installs, it just about knowing how the OpenReach / Virgin Media system works.

We have done wireless point to multipoint links providing broadband to customers. this is normally a FTTC connection to a host site and then broadcast it on from their.

What success have you had with VM systems?

Pukka 19-03-2021 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36074815)
What success have you had with VM systems?

If you can get the address on the system or get a spotter out. then its very good. we will always use openreach first as their system is much easier to work with, we can just place an order for "green cab, 15 winsor road, london, ET2 1NN".

I think the hardest virgin job, the cab was on the customers back garden fence, but no duct on the front of the house (it ws a barn conversion) once a spotter came out he said yes and it went through the system. that took about 2 months.

Sephiroth 19-03-2021 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pukka (Post 36074823)
If you can get the address on the system or get a spotter out. then its very good. we will always use openreach first as their system is much easier to work with, we can just place an order for "green cab, 15 winsor road, london, ET2 1NN".

I think the hardest virgin job, the cab was on the customers back garden fence, but no duct on the front of the house (it ws a barn conversion) once a spotter came out he said yes and it went through the system. that took about 2 months.

But that's not the OP's situation with regard to the nearest VM cabinet.

The OP hasn't reported what the Openreach situation is in his area.

Foo Fighter 20-03-2021 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pukka (Post 36074783)
Attached is a photo of a job we did for a customer with 550 meters of fibre.

Does anyone know the power requirement of the virgin modem? ours is in the loft.

For costing

1x Box (305 meters) cat6 £80.00 (make sure is NOT CCA) we use Excel brand here.
1x POE injector £19.20 https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-...e-50-60w/14097
2x Ethernet Repeater £19.20 (max 310 meters) https://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-...-source)/16092
2x case for above £7.20 https://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-...p67-case/16167
1x 48v to 12v adaptor https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-...puters&sr=1-10

you will need a box to put the router in. https://www.screwfix.com/p/hylec-ip6...-x-350mm/7766g

This would give you 45V at the cab which should be more than enough for the adaptor. Please note this is only theroy and would need a test before you continue, if it was me I would ask virgin to run 150 meters and then you run 150 meters the other way. put the router in modem mode and then provide your own router in the house

Nice work, case and point :D

We tend to only install Mayflex's kit too.

Its not uncommon to see these installs on high end residental propeties or rural business and building sites etc.

Pukka 22-03-2021 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36074826)
But that's not the OP's situation with regard to the nearest VM cabinet.

The OP hasn't reported what the Openreach situation is in his area.

If the OP asks virigin to install to his little box 150 meters from the cab. If they is a draw string in the duct, if you are nice to the engineer (make a cup of tea) and have a little chat they are normally very accommodating. just make the job as easy for them as you can.

Sephiroth 22-03-2021 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pukka (Post 36074949)
If the OP asks virigin to install to his little box 150 meters from the cab. If they is a draw string in the duct, if you are nice to the engineer (make a cup of tea) and have a little chat they are normally very accommodating. just make the job as easy for them as you can.

As it's street furniture, wayleave/council permission will be needed. Very little chance VM will do anything unusual.

Pukka 22-03-2021 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36074966)
As it's street furniture, wayleave/council permission will be needed. Very little chance VM will do anything unusual.

Its a private drive way.

Sephiroth 22-03-2021 17:34

OK then. You're theory bets on the distance from the existing VM cabinet to the edge of the OP's drive to be 150m or less.

Pukka 22-03-2021 18:02

If he can get a virgin connection to his boundry, getting it to his house is easy.

rtho782 25-03-2021 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36074996)
OK then. You're theory bets on the distance from the existing VM cabinet to the edge of the OP's drive to be 150m or less.

From the first post:

Quote:

A few months ago I looked at upgrading my Broadband and settled on Virgin Media who have a box about 300m from my front door. However i'm set back on a private road by 150m. They told me if I dug up the lane and installed ducting for cabling to the end on the private road they would connect me up.
Apparently the customer has a very long drive/private road. But they do state that it is 150m from the VM cabinet.

bluebaron 29-03-2021 15:06

Well I spoke to soon!

So even though the adjudicator ruled in my favour, due to an admin issue on my end( I forgot to upload a receipt), they have only awarded around. 1/2 the costs. I’ve spoken to VM and explained the situation but they are now saying if you want to full amount you will have to reject the adjudicator decision and proceed to court.
I explained that this will will probably mean they will end up with additional costs and will be pretty much wasting the courts time as they will probably find reach the same conclusion but they said they didn’t care!

Skie 29-03-2021 22:46

Go via small claims. Has a small submission fee but if you have enough evidence it should be a fairly straightforward case that VM probably wont even fight.

bluebaron 31-03-2021 15:28

Claim filed this morning!

RichardCoulter 01-04-2021 02:22

You did right. I had many problems with this dreadful company at the end of last year; legal action is the only language that they appear to understand.

IMO their MO is to be as awkward, time consuming and difficult as possible with their paying customers. Their lack of business sense & arrogance is jaw dropping and even Ofcom have told them to 'up their game'.

In their current state I don't believe that they are fit to hold a licence to operate, but if they lost it it would risk a lot of jobs. The best we can hope for is for it to be sold.