Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   FBI searches former president Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711234)

1andrew1 09-08-2022 12:27

FBI searches former president Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate

So much negative news around at the moment so I thought I'd share this piece bit of good news, IMHO.
Quote:

FBI searches former president Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida

The FBI has searched Donald Trump's estate in Florida, with the former president claiming his home was "raided" and "under siege" and that agents broke open a safe.

A senior US official said FBI agents were at Mr Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach "for the majority of the day" on Monday.

The US Justice Department has been investigating the discovery of boxes of records containing classified information that were taken to Mar-a-Lago after Mr Trump's presidency ended.

They were retrieved in January by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), which then asked the Justice Department to examine whether Mr Trump's handling of White House records violated federal law.

It noted that some of the boxes contained items "marked as classified national security information".

Any search of a private residence would have to be approved by a judge. The search is also likely to have been approved by FBI Director Christopher Wray, a Trump appointee, and his boss, Attorney General Merrick Garland, who was appointed by President Joe Biden.

"This is as big a deal as you can have, and... every single person in the chain would have had to sign off on this," Phillip Halpern, a former federal prosecutor, said.

Hours before agents searched the premises, the FBI notified the Secret Service about the bureau's plans to execute the warrant, according to a Secret Service official.

The Secret Service facilitated access to the property, the official said, but did not take part in any aspect of the search.

The White House said it was not given a heads-up about the search.
https://news.sky.com/story/donald-tr...state-12668800

Mick 09-08-2022 12:51

Re: FBI searches former president Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate

I’m more intrigued as to what’s on Hunter Biden’s laptop. https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/20/p...ure/index.html

Chris 09-08-2022 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130659)
So much negative news around at the moment so I thought I'd share this piece bit of good news, IMHO.

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-tr...state-12668800

If Trump is holding on to classified government papers he’s no longer entitled to see, that’s serious. I’m interested to see how this pans out.

At the very least the constant drip feeding of this stuff into the public consciousness must be harming his chances of getting the nomination for the next election.

TheDaddy 09-08-2022 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36130665)
If Trump is holding on to classified government papers he’s no longer entitled to see, that’s serious. I’m interested to see how this pans out.

At the very least the constant drip feeding of this stuff into the public consciousness must be harming his chances of getting the nomination for the next election.

You're joking, no one plays the victim as well as Donny, his fans will lap up tales of deep state interference and radical democrats infiltrating all areas of government, it won't harm him at all, if he wins though I doubt the federal government or it's institutions will recover for years from his revenge purge

Damien 09-08-2022 13:41

The January 6 riots/attempted coup should be the line for Trump supporters. An attack on the actual seat of their Democracy designed to overturn an election they lost is scary in any country let alone America. It's crazy.

If they tolerate that then holding onto classified documents is small fry.

Mick 09-08-2022 14:07

The pathetic Democrats are just as bad, with Pelosi last week potentially causing a nuclear Armageddon, visiting Taiwan and angering China, which makes the 6th Jan seem the the real small fry.

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

It’s important to note that Biden’s approval amongst all Americans is just 37%.

He is the worst President in history.

Chris 09-08-2022 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36130669)
The January 6 riots/attempted coup should be the line for Trump supporters. An attack on the actual seat of their Democracy designed to overturn an election they lost is scary in any country let alone America. It's crazy.

If they tolerate that then holding onto classified documents is small fry.

I think there’s a difference between the hardcore fans and those who are just on the right of American politics and minded to vote GOP. Sure there’s likely nothing that will dissuade the true believers but in order to get the nomination he needs the moderate majority. Even more so if he wants to go on and win the presidency.

Damien 09-08-2022 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36130678)
I think there’s a difference between the hardcore fans and those who are just on the right of American politics and minded to vote GOP. Sure there’s likely nothing that will dissuade the true believers but in order to get the nomination he needs the moderate majority. Even more so if he wants to go on and win the presidency.

Yeah, we'll see. The problem is that Trump has a strong hold on the GOP base so he can win the nomination and GOP representatives in congress are worried about crossing him in case his base challenges them in their primaries.

Ron DeSantis is the obvious alternative that's still Trump-like in delivery so maybe he can soak up enough support.

There is also the worry of what happens if he runs and loses in 2024 again or even what Election Day 2024 would be like.

Paul 09-08-2022 14:27

For those of us who dont follow US politics, what, or who, is GOP ?

Damien 09-08-2022 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36130683)
For those of us who dont follow US politics, what, or who, is GOP ?

Republican Party (Grand Old Party)

TheDaddy 09-08-2022 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36130680)
Yeah, we'll see. The problem is that Trump has a strong hold on the GOP base so he can win the nomination and GOP representatives in congress are worried about crossing him in case his base challenges them in their primaries.

Ron DeSantis is the obvious alternative that's still Trump-like in delivery so maybe he can soak up enough support.

There is also the worry of what happens if he runs and loses in 2024 again or even what Election Day 2024 would be like.

You think DeSantis knew about the raid?

1andrew1 09-08-2022 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36130687)
You think DeSantis knew about the raid?

The White House was not forewarned so I doubt he knew in advance either.

Mick 09-08-2022 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36130680)
Yeah, we'll see. The problem is that Trump has a strong hold on the GOP base so he can win the nomination and GOP representatives in congress are worried about crossing him in case his base challenges them in the primary.

You obviously missed the recent CPAC polling at the weekend. Trump got 69% and DeSantis got 24% for presidential nomination preference. All recent Primaries where candidates got endorsed by Trump, all won.

But just getting back to the main topic, the current U.S Attorney General, Merrick Garland, approved these FBI searches, who is Merrick Garland?

He was President Obama’s Supreme Court Justice Nominee in 2016, however, the Republican controlled Senate refused to hold his confirmation and his nomination expired just before President Obama left office and Trump took office, then nominating one of his own picks, Neil Gorsuch. I bet that made Garland pissed off a tad and is now, if I’m being cynical, asserting revenge. Just too convenient in my eyes.

As for classified information, a former president maintains clearance, still gets briefings, it’s how they agree to store that intelligence that matters.

Quote:

2.2 Access to classified information by historical researchers, former Treasury Presidential and Vice Presidential appointees, and former Presidents and Vice Presidents.
(a) Access to classified information may be granted only to individuals who have a need-to-know the information. This requirement may be waived, however, for individuals who:

(1) Are engaged in historical research projects;

(2) Previously occupied a position in the Treasury to which they were appointed by the President under 3 U.S.C. 105(a)(2)(A), or the Vice President under 3 U.S.C. 106(a)(1)(A); or

(3) Served as President or Vice President.

TheDaddy 09-08-2022 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130688)
The White House was not forewarned so I doubt he knew in advance either.

Don't bet on the governor not knowing, maybe he did, maybe he didn't, it'll leak out eventually if he did and that could make things even more interesting

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130691)
You obviously missed the recent CPAC polling at the weekend. Trump got 69% and DeSantis got 24% for presidential nomination preference. All recent Primaries where candidates got endorsed by Trump, all won.

But just getting back to the main topic, the current U.S Attorney General, Merrick Garland, approved these FBI searches, who is Merrick Garland?

He was President Obama’s Supreme Court Justice Nominee in 2016, however, the Republican controlled Senate refused to hold his confirmation and his nomination expired just before President Obama left office and Trump took office, then nominating one of his own picks, Neil Gorsuch. I bet that made Garland pissed off a tad and is now, if I’m being cynical, asserting revenge. Just too convenient in my eyes.

As for classified information, a former president maintains clearance, still gets briefings, it’s how they agree to store that intelligence that matters.

The head of the fbi is a trump appointee iirc as is no doubt the judge who approved the warrent a republican appointee

Mick 09-08-2022 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36130692)
Don't bet on the governor not knowing, maybe he did, maybe he didn't, it'll leak out eventually if he did and that could make things even more interesting

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

The head of the fbi is a trump appointee iirc as is no doubt the judge who approved the warrent a republican appointee

Would still need approval from U.S Attorney General to search the home of a former President.

Damien 09-08-2022 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130691)

That's why I said he still has a hold on the base.

Quote:

As others are pointed out the Attorney General can't just demand a raid. This was requested by the FBI which is headed by a Trump appointee and further approved by another Trump appointee. You can't point at one person in a chain and say it was all their doing.

1andrew1 09-08-2022 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36130692)

Exactly. Shows it's not political if Trump's own appointees signed off on it. Serious stuff indeed.

TheDaddy 09-08-2022 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130695)
Would still need approval from U.S Attorney General to search the home of a former President.

Oh yeah don't doubt he was delighted to approve it, just don't think it was anything more than that

Mick 09-08-2022 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130698)
Exactly. Shows it's not political if Trump's own appointees signed off on it. Serious stuff indeed.

Not really.

This is in relation to National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) investigation in to records took from White House when Trump left office.

From Sky News:

Quote:

In a lengthy statement published online, the former president said his home was "under siege, raided, and occupied by a large group of FBI agents".

He wasn't there at the time, but was notified by his son, Eric Trump, who told Fox News the search warrant concerned a box of documents taken from the White House and that his father had been cooperating with the NARA over the matter for months.

This was echoed by Mr Trump himself, who said he had been "working and cooperating with the relevant government agencies".

As a result, he described the search as "not necessary or appropriate", "prosecutorial misconduct", the "weaponisation of the justice system" and "an attack by radical Democrats who desperately don't want me to run for president in 2024".

1andrew1 09-08-2022 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130704)
Not really.

This is in relation to National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) investigation in to records took from White House when Trump left office.

From Sky News:

So the Trump-nominated Head of the FBI requests the search and Trump presents it as a Democratic political raid. I do hope he's not asking you and me to believe in such fairytales!

If he'd had any ounce of sense he would have returned the records immediately to NARA, they're not his property.

Quote:

What were the FBI looking for in Florida?

After Donald Trump's presidency ended in January last year, officials found he had taken 15 boxes from the White House to his home in Mar-a-Lago, Florida.

This investigation was launched by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), the independent US government body charged with preserving government and historical records.

After demanding he return the boxes, the NARA discovered in January this year they contained government documents, including ones "marked as classified national security information", as well as gifts, letters and mementos.

The NARA then referred the case to the US Justice Department to probe whether Mr Trump's unauthorised handling of the documents amounts to a violation of federal law.

Some of the documents in the boxes are subject to the Presidential Records Act.

Passed by Congress in wake of the 1972 Watergate Scandal, it dictates that presidential documents are not the then-president's property and should be handed over to the NARA when they leave office to be then made public 12 years later.

Mr Trump could have also potentially broken legislation on the appropriate handling of government documents while he was still in office or be charged for obstruction of justice if he was found to have been covering his tracks.
https://news.sky.com/story/why-has-t...ating-12668890

papa smurf 09-08-2022 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130707)
So the Trump-nominated Head of the FBI requests the search and Trump presents it as a Democratic political raid. I do hope he's not asking you and me to believe in such fairytales!

If he'd had any ounce of sense he would have returned the records immediately to NARA, they're not his property.

Is it the alien files

TheDaddy 09-08-2022 15:31

Quote:

He couldn't return a lot of them, he'd flushed them down the loo :shocked: :spin:

Mick 09-08-2022 15:35

Quote:

I think you should read fairytales, given you have not read my posts. Do read them properly.

As already pointed out. Merrick Garland is the U.S Attorney General and is above the Head of the FBI. He would be one to approve the searches. His political affiliation is Democrat.

Damien 09-08-2022 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130710)
I think you should read fairytales, given you have not read my posts. Do read them properly.

As already pointed out. Merrick Garland is the U.S Attorney General and is above the Head of the FBI. He would be one to approve the searches. His political affiliation is Democrat.

We know that but we're saying the raid was requested by an FBI headed by a Trump appointee and then further approved by a Trump-appointed Judge. This isn't as if the Democrats ordered the raid. It has people from both sides of the aisle involved.

1andrew1 09-08-2022 15:46

What's also interesting is what Sky News says about Garland's cautious nature.
Quote:

Biden-nominated Mr Garland is known for his caution - so Monday's developments suggest a distinct change of tone in the establishment's handling of the case.

Mick 09-08-2022 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36130711)
We know that but we're saying the raid was requested by an FBI headed by a Trump appointee and then further approved by a Trump-appointed Judge. This isn't as if the Democrats ordered the raid. It has people from both sides of the aisle involved.

Yes, and as I’ve said, final Justice Dept approval would be required by someone on an higher pay grade than the FBI Director, that is the Attorney General. This wasn’t some random persons home, it is the residence of a former U.S President, FBI Director won’t wanna have his name on any authorisation forms, should that former president decide to counter attack.

1andrew1 09-08-2022 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130714)
Yes, and as I’ve said, final Justice Dept approval would be required by someone on an higher pay grade than the FBI Director, that is the Attorney General. This wasn’t some random persons home, it is the residence of a former U.S President, FBI Director won’t wanna have his name on any authorisation forms, should that former president decide to counter attack.

This kind of search is unusual, though. It must have been the last resort to search the premises when all other avenues had been exhausted. As such, I can't see any blowback here. Some hot air from Trump? Of course. Genuine blowback? No.

Mick 09-08-2022 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130719)
This kind of search is unusual, though. It must have been the last resort to search the premises when all other avenues had been exhausted. As such, I can't see any blowback here. Some hot air from Trump? Of course. Genuine blowback? No.

No, it will just embolden his base further and legitimise their Deep State Narrative.

Damien 09-08-2022 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130720)
No, it will just embolden his base further and legitimise their Deep State Narrative.

It doesn't 'legitimise' it unless something comes out that shows this was unwarranted. Trump isn't above the law. As mentioned this past several checks and balances for the raid to happen.

1andrew1 09-08-2022 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130720)

His base illegally invaded the White House! I can't see them being more emboldened than that!

It will only legitimise their deep state narrative if the search was conducted illegally. No one has demonstrated due processes were not adhered to.

Mick 09-08-2022 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130727)
His base illegally invaded the White House! I can't see them being more emboldened than this!

It will only legitimise their deep state narrative if the search was conducted illegally. No one yet is suggesting that due processes were not adhered to.

I think you meant the Capital building. :angel:

1andrew1 09-08-2022 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130728)

:handshake Thanks, that's the one!

Pierre 09-08-2022 19:06

AFAIK They’re trying to stop Trump running in 24, because if he is found to have anything incriminating it prevents him from running.

They won’t find anything. For all the impeachments, hearings etc over the last 6 years have produced……..nothing.

All they are doing is emboldening Trump’s support.

If he runs again ( I don’t think he will and believe de Santis the better option). He could win.

1andrew1 09-08-2022 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36130747)
AFAIK They’re trying to stop Trump running in 24, because if he is found to have anything incriminating it prevents him from running.

They won’t find anything. For all the impeachments, hearings etc over the last 6 years have produced……..nothing.

If he runs again ( I don’t think he will and believe de Santis the better option). He could win.

"AFAIK" doing a lot of heavy lifting there! Do you understand the point that Damien has made about the search being signed off by Republican nominated staff as well as Democrat ones?

If so, what alternative evidence have you seen?

To date, the evidence shows this search is not at Biden's behest. It's FBI-originated and has been signed off by the powers that were appointed by Trump too. If Trump had complied with the the law and returned the documents the state wouldn't be searching his property. Perhaps he wanted the search?

Mick 09-08-2022 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36130747)

DeSantis is the better option for the Party as a whole. But it seems, most Republicans want the Trump show version 2 in 2024 and the way Biden is running his presidency, he'll get there unless he gets indicted along the way, which will scupper any candidacy plans.

Damien 09-08-2022 20:02

I hope 2024 is something other than Trump vs Biden. America must be able to come up with better than those two.

pip08456 09-08-2022 20:17

1 Attachment(s)
The FBI/Justice Department must have had good reason for the raid and must lead to an indictment.

Quote:

With the surprise FBI raid on Donald Trump’s much-cherished Mar-a-Lago residence and club, the attorney general has set up a serious test for himself, the Justice Department, and the FBI: to prove this unprecedented act was fully justified. To do that, the feds will eventually have to produce an indictment. Consequently, Garland and FBI Director Chris Wray, who each presumably okayed the FBI search, have created a powerful incentive for a thorough investigation that will yield public evidence of Trump-related wrongdoing.
More here.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...id-mar-a-lago/

It's also worth remembering that Trump is under investigation on other counts.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...4&d=1660072548

Pierre 09-08-2022 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130748)
"AFAIK" doing a lot of heavy lifting there!

. Ok . Change to
IMO

Quote:

Do you understand the point that Damien has made about the search being signed off by Republican nominated staff as well as Democrat ones?

If so, what alternative evidence have you seen?

To date, the evidence shows this search is not at Biden's behest. It's FBI-originated and has been signed off by the powers that were appointed by Trump too. If Trump had complied with the the law and returned the documents the state wouldn't be searching his property. Perhaps he wanted the search?
We’ll just like every other circus around Trump since he was elected that produced ……………nothing.

I’ll wait with anticipation, the track record isn’t particularly fruitful.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36130751)
I hope 2024 is something other than Trump vs Biden. America must be able to come up with better than those two.

Biden won’t make it to 2024.

He certainly won’t run.

He can hardly string cogent sentences together, very rarely gives press conferences ( in comparison to his predecessor(s)).

In a live presidential debate he’s a liability.

TheDaddy 10-08-2022 03:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36130759)
Biden won’t make it to 2024.

He certainly won’t run.

He can hardly string cogent sentences together, very rarely gives press conferences ( in comparison to his predecessor(s)).

In a live presidential debate he’s a liability.

Speaking of cogent, how cogent is it to be flushing documents down the loo in a building with that many fire places, that makes me question either tfg's marbles or intelligence.

Pierre 10-08-2022 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36130780)
Speaking of cogent, how cogent is it to be flushing documents down the loo in a building with that many fire places, that makes me question either tfg's marbles or intelligence.

No idea what you’re on about…….

BenMcr 10-08-2022 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36130781)
No idea what you’re on about…….

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/08/p...ntv/index.html

Quote:

Photos show handwritten notes that Trump apparently ripped up and attempted to flush down toilet

Mick 10-08-2022 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36130783)

Really, it looks like some random photo anyone could have took of a loo, it holds nothing significant.

1andrew1 10-08-2022 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130784)
Really, it looks like some random photo anyone could have took of a loo, it holds nothing significant.

It does look like that but CNN will have verified its authenticity.

papa smurf 10-08-2022 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130793)

Is that something new they're trying out.

1andrew1 10-08-2022 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36130799)
Is that something new they're trying out.

Maybe new to you but not to them.

A bit more information on them here: https://www.axios.com/2022/08/08/tru...aggie-haberman

papa smurf 10-08-2022 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130800)
Maybe new to you but not to them.

A bit more information on them here: https://www.axios.com/2022/08/08/tru...aggie-haberman

Are you sure? they have been branded as a fake news operation.

Mr K 10-08-2022 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36130802)

Who by ? The Kings of fake news, the Express?

I think they were searching for a brain in Trump's house. They haven't found anything...

Qtx 10-08-2022 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36130780)

He obviously saw Clintons home email server was hacked in the past so wanted stuff on paper but the decision to flush wasn't a good one. I doubt the fireplaces were always alight and maybe burning them in a dish would have set off fire alarms/shown he was disposing of something. Maybe there are cameras everywhere except the toilets, or he is paranoid that there is, so didn't want to be seen or recorded disposing of stuff. Leaving the toilet the only place.

Probably down to his intelligence knowing him but there are potential reasons for the more intelligent.

1andrew1 10-08-2022 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36130802)

The images come from a forthcoming book to be published by Penguin if you want another level of checking.
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...ggie-haberman/

Pierre 10-08-2022 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130793)

Now that was “laugh out loud” funny.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130815)
The images come from a forthcoming book to be published by Penguin if you want another level of checking.
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...ggie-haberman/

And in no way, makes them authentic.

1andrew1 10-08-2022 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36130837)
And in no way, makes them authentic.

Penguin's a reputable publisher with high standards to uphold and the resources to do just that.

richard-john56 10-08-2022 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130728)

Spelt wrong it is the CAPITOL BUILDING. :)

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

The new slogan being used is SAVE AMERICA they should add SAVE AMERICA FROM TRUMP.

The Democrats need a new person to stand for President... Joe needs to retire.

Hugh 10-08-2022 20:16

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...5&d=1660158891

https://twitter.com/danrather/status...sxdOYmv3ry7exg

Damien 10-08-2022 20:33

I bet Clinton wishes that the Republicans had this view that the FBI shouldn't investigate a Presidental Candidate for keeping classified records after you've left office back in 2016.

1andrew1 10-08-2022 20:36

I note that Trump has not published the search warrant for Mar-a-Lago which would clear up a few loose ends. I wonder what he has to gain by not doing this?

Pierre 10-08-2022 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130848)
Penguin's a reputable publisher with high standards to uphold and the resources to do just that.

Penguin staff have proven to be progressive leftists in the past, why would they miss a chance to go to for Trump?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5bv...-peterson-book

Mick 10-08-2022 21:20

If this is going to be another long drawn out boring bashing Trump thread, it’s going to close. Discuss the raid, not how much you hate him, we’ve done that for 4 years, we’re not doing it again.

1andrew1 10-08-2022 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36130875)
Penguin staff have proven to be progressive leftists in the past, why would they miss a chance to go to for Trump?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5bv...-peterson-book

A few staff in Canada are not representative of the US company.

It's also an entirely different matter complaining of an author being published and not doing the necessary checks before a title is published.

Mick 10-08-2022 22:20

Discuss the raid, I said.

Damien 11-08-2022 08:23

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...-court-1732496

Trump allies suspect there is a mole at Mar-A-Lago hence where/why the FBI knew where to look...

papa smurf 11-08-2022 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36130901)

Trump allies suspect there is a mole at Mar-A-Lago hence where/why the FBI knew where to look...

Place is probably bugged and full of camera's you know what the FSB is like.

BenMcr 11-08-2022 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36130904)
you know what the FSB is like.

Well Russia would want to keep track of what a key asset is up to.

papa smurf 11-08-2022 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36130911)
Well Russia would want to keep track of what a key asset is up to.

Reading what happened i thought it was Russia

BenMcr 11-08-2022 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36130914)
Reading what happened i thought it was Russia

How so? What made you think it was Russia?

papa smurf 11-08-2022 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36130916)
How so? What made you think it was Russia?

It's the usual turn over your political opponents home ,find "paper work" next it's a rigged court, followed by years in a gulag or a shot of polonium in the leg, who's in the Whitehouse sleepy Joe or joseph Stalin.

Pierre 11-08-2022 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36130901)

For what? What did they find?

1andrew1 11-08-2022 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36130949)

I doubt they're allowed to disclose this as it could prejudice a trial.

Trump had the choice to disclose the search warrant but decided not to.

Damien 11-08-2022 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36130949)

We don't know yet obviously, we just know they searched a safe and left with boxes of documents.

Pierre 11-08-2022 19:10

I predict they’ll find nothing of consequence, but try to blow up something very minor into Watergate proportions.

Hugh 11-08-2022 20:27

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mp-mar-a-lago/

Quote:

Justice Dept. seeks to unseal motion for search warrant at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Thursday that the Justice Department has filed a motion for a judge to unseal the court-authorized warrant that led FBI agents to search the Florida residence of former President Donald Trump.

Garland said he personally authorized the request for a search warrant and decided to file the motion to unseal since Trump had confirmed to the public that the FBI raided his property.

Mick 11-08-2022 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36131011)

Didn’t I say, U.S Attorney General, Garland authorised this search days ago?

Biden can no longer deny he didn’t know about it, thing is he was probably told but he’s that dozy, he did not remember. :rolleyes:

The fact this has now been confirmed that it was, this could be problematic for the Biden Administration, that Biden has potentially weaponised the Justice Dept against a political opponent. It’s equivalent to Boris Johnson ordering the Home Office, who will then order the met police to raid the home of Keir Starmer.

Damien 11-08-2022 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36131014)
Didn’t I say, U.S Attorney General, Garland authorised this search days ago?

Everyone knew they did? It was reported. What people were saying was that it was the FBI who requested the search and that FBI director, and another Judge who approved it, were Trump appointees.

Quote:

The fact this has now been confirmed that it was, this could be problematic for the Biden Administration, that Biden has potentially weaponised the Justice Dept against a political opponent. It’s equivalent to Boris Johnson ordering the Home Office, who will then order the met police to raid the home of Keir Starmer.
No, it isn't.

It's the equivalent to the British Attorney General approving a request from the head of the Met Police to raid the home of Keir Starmer and having that request also approved by a High Court Judge.

Biden didn't order the FBI to conduct the search. The FBI wanted the search. Biden didn't approve the search. The U.S Attorney General did.

1andrew1 11-08-2022 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36131016)
Everyone knew they did? It was reported. What people were saying was that it was the FBI who requested the search and that FBI director, and another Judge who approved it, were Trump appointees.

No, it isn't.

It's the equivalent to the British Attorney General approving a request from the head of the Met Police to raid the home of Keir Starmer and having that request also approved by a High Court Judge.

Biden didn't order the FBI to conduct the search. The FBI wanted the search. Biden didn't approve the search. The U.S Attorney General did.

I suspect Biden's extremely disappointed by the timing. He's just had some very significant legislative successes which are in danger of being overshadowed by the raid:
- He will shortly sign America’s first serious attempt to tackle global warming. His predecessors tried it and failed.
- He will also sign the “Chips plus” act, America’s first industrial policy since Reagan’s response to the rise of Japan in the 1980s. The bill puts tens of billions of dollars into public science research — the kind of money that in the 1950s resulted eventually in the Internet
- His climate and tax bill also for the first time gives the federal government the power to negotiate lower drugs prices.

Mick 11-08-2022 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36131016)

No, it isn't.

Yes and he’s a Democratic Attorney General, that matters.

However, you do know what “potentially” means don’t you?

If Garland cannot justify authorising this search, then yes it’s to Trump’s political gain and Biden’s loss, not that it matters because Biden is tanking in the polls anyway, he is the worst president in history.

Damien 11-08-2022 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36131019)
Yes and he’s a Democratic Attorney General, that matters.

However, you do know what “potentially” means don’t you?

If Garland cannot justify authorising this search, then yes it’s to Trump’s political gain and Biden’s loss, not that it matters because Biden is tanking in the polls anyway, he is the worst president in history.

But it's a massive leap because all this is known. We know the FBI requested it and we know another judge verified it. Where is the proof Biden ordered it? He can't actually do that which means there would also have to be a conspiracy involving a Trump-appointed judge and FBI Director.

What if Trump did have classified files anyway, then all this speculation on who ordered it is pointless.

Mick 11-08-2022 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36131020)
But it's a massive leap because all this is known. We know the FBI requested it and we know another judge verified it. Where is the proof Biden ordered it? He can't actually do that which means there would also have to be a conspiracy involving a Trump-appointed judge and FBI Director.

What if Trump did have classified files anyway, then all this speculation on who ordered it is pointless.

I did not say anywhere that he had ordered it himself, I said he must have been aware of it, big difference in meaning Damien, don't invent stuff I never said.

Trump is a former President, he still has Clearance to view and access classified material, as does former Presidents, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama and the longest surviving president ever, after leaving office, Jimmy Carter.

Paul 11-08-2022 22:42

Seems a lot of fuss.

They had a reason to search, good enough to convince a judge, a warrent was granted, the search was done.

Pretty sure thats probably an occurrance most days, in most states. Presidents are not above the law, afaik.

TheDaddy 11-08-2022 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36131023)
I did not say anywhere that he had ordered it himself, I said he must have been aware of it, big difference in meaning Damien, don't invent stuff I never said.

Trump is a former President, he still has Clearance to view and access classified material, as does former Presidents, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama and the longest surviving president ever, after leaving office, Jimmy Carter.

Didn't Biden say Donny wasn't going to recieve such privileges due to his erratic behaviour, maybe that was just intelligence briefings :shrug:

ianch99 11-08-2022 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36131024)
Seems a lot of fuss.

They had a reason to search, good enough to convince a judge, a warrent was granted, the search was done.

Pretty sure thats probably an occurrance most days, in most states. Presidents are not above the law, afaik.

Voice of reason. Trump appointed FBI director authorises warrant that (independent) judge approves based on merit. Where's the problem?

Let's face it, it is not as if the guy has no prior? He incited the 6th Jan attempted insurrection. After all, they got Al Capone on tax charges.

If you want to see the Fox News video supporting this: https://twitter.com/i/status/1557141679802548227

Mick 12-08-2022 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36131030)
Voice of reason. Trump appointed FBI director authorises warrant that (independent) judge approves based on merit. Where's the problem?

Let's face it, it is not as if the guy has no prior? He incited the 6th Jan attempted insurrection. After all, they got Al Capone on tax charges.

If you want to see the Fox News video supporting this: https://twitter.com/i/status/1557141679802548227

Has prior what, criminality?

That is a wrong term to use, he has no prior criminality.

He’s never been charged with a crime (yet) despite all of the Democrat sponsored investigations, so he can only have prior if he had ever been convicted, which he hasn’t as of yet.

The justice department needs to release what they know, what this raid was for. Trump has already stated he was cooperating with NARA.

Damien 12-08-2022 07:19

More details on the purpose of the search: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mp-mar-a-lago/

Quote:

Classified documents relating to nuclear weapons were among the items FBI agents sought in a search of former president Donald Trump’s Florida residence on Monday, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Experts in classified information said the unusual search underscores deep concern among government officials about the types of information they thought could be located at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club and potentially in danger of falling into the wrong hands.

1andrew1 12-08-2022 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36131036)
More details on the purpose of the search: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mp-mar-a-lago/

He was arrogant in not giving the documents back when requested.

Sadly, one person is dead as a likely reaction to this situation - he tried to breach the FBI building in Ohio and was shot.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62514752

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36131023)

I don't think anyone is disputing Trump's access to classified material. But by law Trump can't keep hold of it. It definitely represents a security risk keeping classified materials on private property.

I hope nothing of importance is found as it will divide the US even more than it already is. In that instance, the only side who benefits will be the West's enemies.

papa smurf 12-08-2022 11:36

So it takes 18 months before anyone looks for top secret documents that went missing, these documents must be really sensitive to warrant such a fast response.

1andrew1 12-08-2022 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36131049)
So it takes 18 months before anyone looks for top secret documents that went missing, these documents must be really sensitive to warrant such a fast response.

He's had his lawyers on the case I believe.

Hugh 12-08-2022 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36131051)
He's had his lawyers on the case I believe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mp-mar-a-lago/

Quote:

The investigation into the improper handling of documents began months ago, when the National Archives and Records Administration sought the return of material taken to Mar-a-Lago from the White House. Fifteen boxes of documents and items, some of them marked classified, were returned early this year. The archives subsequently asked the Justice Department to investigate.

This spring, Trump’s team received a grand jury subpoena in connection with the documents investigations, two people familiar with the investigation, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss details, confirmed to The Post on Thursday. Investigators visited Mar-a-Lago in the weeks following the issuance of the subpoena, and Trump’s team handed over some materials. The subpoena was first reported by Just the News, a conservative media outlet run by John Solomon, one of Trump’s recently designated representatives to the National Archives.

People familiar with the probe have said it is focused on whether the former president or his aides withheld classified or other government material that should have been returned to government custody earlier. The people, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the investigation, said that as authorities engaged in months of discussions on the subject, some officials came to suspect the Trump team was not being truthful.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36131047)
He was arrogant in not giving the documents back when requested.

Sadly, one person is dead as a likely reaction to this situation - he tried to breach the FBI building in Ohio and was shot.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62514752

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

I don't think anyone is disputing Trump's access to classified material. But by law Trump can't keep hold of it. It definitely represents a security risk keeping classified materials on private property.

I hope nothing of importance is found as it will divide the US even more than it already is. In that instance, the only side who benefits will be the West's enemies.

Former Presidents can be allowed access to classified material as a courtesy, if the current President deems it appropriate, to consult with them for their input/feedback on matters - what they can't do is decide to keep Top Secret/SCI info for themselves; once they leave the Office, they no longer have clearance to access this type of information (unless, as stated above, it is granted by the current President).

TheDaddy 12-08-2022 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36131052)
Former Presidents can be allowed access to classified material as a courtesy, if the current President deems it appropriate, to consult with them for their input/feedback on matters - what they can't do is decide to keep Top Secret/SCI info for themselves; once they leave the Office, they no longer have clearance to access this type of information (unless, as stated above, it is granted by the current President).

Which Biden explicitly said donny wasn't getting because of his erratic behaviour

Damien 12-08-2022 18:53

Weird one but Fox News is running a photo of the judge who approved the request sitting in a private plane with Ghislaine Maxwell. It's a fake photo: https://twitter.com/mbaram/status/15...314754/photo/1 and not even a very good photoshop but if Fox News are doing this there will be a lot of people who'll believe it.

You also have to wonder if Fox News will go this far, just literally publishing fake photos, what else they would do.

Hugh 12-08-2022 19:42

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-t...ayroll-1733230

Quote:

In the aftermath of the search, the Trump camp insists that President Trump had the right to declassify information, and thus none of the records were classified. Kash Patel, a Trump loyalist who served in intelligence and defense positions in the administration (and who also identifies himself as one of Donald Trump's representatives to the National Archives), told the Just The News podcast that Trump was the "ultimate arbiter" of the classification of a document and thus there could be no wrongdoing.

That characterization is incorrect, experts say, because documents that are covered by statute, and not classified under presidential executive order, cannot be classified or declassified by the president. That includes nuclear secrets (under the Atomic Energy Act) and documents that might identify CIA case officers or agents (under the Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982). The Washington Post has reported that the documents sought at Mar-a-Lago related to nuclear weapons.

Dave42 12-08-2022 21:31

Donald Trump being investigated under Espionage Act, with 'top secret' documents taken from his Florida home
Among the boxes removed were 11 sets of classified documents, with some relating to defence information. A handwritten note and a binder of photos were also taken.

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-tr...-home-12671607

Hugh 12-08-2022 21:38

2 Attachment(s)
Search Warrant & Property Receipt.

https://thehill.com/wp-content/uploa...54.17.0_12.pdf

Items seized

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1660336862

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...2&d=1660336862

pip08456 12-08-2022 21:55

Its going to take a while to get through that lot.

Mick 12-08-2022 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36131075)
Which Biden explicitly said donny wasn't getting because of his erratic behaviour

He may have said it publicly, doesn’t mean he acted on it, knowing Joe he probably fell asleep anyway.

We’ll see what happens but Crooked Hillary kept classified material on her private server, that was said at the time, could have easily been hacked by foreign agents and she quite literally got away with it.

Hugh 12-08-2022 23:56

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ate-department

Quote:

The state department has completed its years-long internal investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of private email and found “no persuasive evidence of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information”.
Quote:

The justice department’s inspector general said FBI specialists did not find evidence that the server had been hacked, with one forensics agent saying he felt “fairly confident that there wasn’t an intrusion”.
https://www.politifact.com/article/2...-donald-trump/

Quote:

The National Archives in February said it had recovered 15 boxes of presidential records that former President Donald Trump had taken to his home in Mar-a-Lago. This was a breach of the Presidential Records Act.

Some of the documents were marked classified national security.

Hillary Clinton used a private email address for exchanges with her State Department staff. In three instances, email chains included information with ambiguous classification markings.
Quote:

A key difference between the two

Bradley Moss, a Washington-based lawyer who works on national security cases, said the cases of Clinton and Trump are significantly different.

"Trump took properly marked hard copy classified documents from the White House, shipped them to Florida, and stored them in an unsecured location at his residence," Moss said.

The presence of classified information in Clinton’s emails was less obvious.

"The e-mails were never marked as classified because these were communications from unclassified government accounts," Moss said.

Mick 13-08-2022 00:12

Irrelevant.

The fact remains. She admitted to her wrong doing. She potentially violated several statutes on storage of classified material, she should have been prosecuted, the laws exists and she clearly broke them, only the FBI gave her a get out of jail free card, no different to this current case, only Trump is a former president, that still has, high level clearances and access, to top level classified material, access the level he had that she never had.

Mr K 13-08-2022 05:45

It's like a religous cult the way some people defend Trump whatever he says or does. Its as if if he's found out to be a lying fraud then that undermines themselves too.

Concrete evidence of wrongdoing ? Then it must be 'fake' or planted. Witnesses must be liar's. It's all Deep States doing, not the holy one... Change the subject to Clinton, Biden, Yogi Bear, anyone...

Damien 13-08-2022 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36131131)
Irrelevant.

The fact remains. She admitted to her wrong doing. She potentially violated several statutes on storage of classified material, she should have been prosecuted, the laws exists and she clearly broke them, only the FBI gave her a get out of jail free card, no different to this current case, only Trump is a former president, that still has, high level clearances and access, to top level classified material, access the level he had that she never had.

He didn't have permission to keep it in his house.

Maggy 13-08-2022 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36131134)
It's like a religous cult the way some people defend Trump whatever he says or does. Its as if if he's found out to be a lying fraud then that undermines themselves too.

Concrete evidence of wrongdoing ? Then it must be 'fake' or planted. Witnesses must be liar's. It's all Deep States doing, not the holy one... Change the subject to Clinton, Biden, Yogi Bear, anyone...

:tu:

GrimUpNorth 13-08-2022 09:34

Whatever happens, to some, it'll go down as one of the biggest conspiracies of all time up there with the faked moon landings and the US planting explosives in the world trade centre to help bring them down after the planes hit.

But most of realise that Donald has been caught out and his downfall is his arrogance. What anyone else did or didn't do or get away with is irrelevant, unless they were in cahoots with Donald then their crimes can't be connected - it's like saying all burglars were in on the same job so should be punished accordingly.

1andrew1 13-08-2022 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36131137)

That's the key issue here.

Mick 13-08-2022 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36131134)

Wind your neck in, the only pathetic cult you are in, is the misery guts one. Also, it’s not about defending Trump, it’s about the rule of law and the selective application of it depending on who it is.

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36131137)

Neither did Hillary Clinton, so your point is moot.

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36131146)
That's the key issue here.

No it’s not, Hillary Clinton did not have permission to have a private email server that she kept classified material on, it’s several violations on the law regarding it. Yet she did not get prosecuted.

Yet again, we have the same folk applying law breaking only when it suits, because of Trump derangement syndrome, no doubt.

Pathetic. :rolleyes: