Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virgin Media merger with O2 approved by competition regulator (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709962)

1andrew1 14-04-2021 17:46

Virgin Media merger with O2 approved by competition regulator

Quote:

Virgin Media and O2’s £31bn merger won’t mean a bad deal for customers, says CMA

Watchdog says new telecoms giant will still have competition from rivals

£31bn merger between O2 and Virgin Media has been given the green light after regulators decided that the deal was unlikely to result in higher broadband and mobile prices for consumers.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-b1831115.html

pip08456 14-04-2021 19:59

Re: Virgin Media merger with O2 approved by competition regulator

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36076910)

Only provisionally ATM though I expect it will be approved.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-to-merge.html

Hom3r 18-04-2021 21:18

What benefits with the customers get?

I have TV, BB and landline from VM, and I have 2 O2 phone contracts.

pip08456 18-04-2021 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36077222)

Existing customers - probibly none as VM have a 5yr MVNO agreement with Vodaphone.

1andrew1 19-04-2021 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36077222)

The chance to buy shares in the new company if it floats?

Mergers are done for the benefit of companies' owners, not their customers. Sometimes the two interests overlap, sometimes they don't.

Pierre 19-04-2021 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077254)
The chance to buy shares in the new company if it floats?

Mergers are done for the benefit of companies' owners, not their customers. Sometimes the two interests overlap, sometimes they don't.

Homer is the target, anecdotally speaking.

There are a lot of O2 customers that don't have VM services and a lot of VM customers that don't have O2 services.

Back office synergies and costs savings too.

1andrew1 19-04-2021 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36077269)
Homer is the target, anecdotally speaking.

There are a lot of O2 customers that don't have VM services and a lot of VM customers that don't have O2 services.

Back office synergies and costs savings too.

Yes, the opportunity to be cross-sold is the main benefit for customers. Perhaps with O2 shops now featuring the V6 and signing up VM broadband customers as well.

vincerooney 21-04-2021 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36077226)
Existing customers - probibly none as VM have a 5yr MVNO agreement with Vodaphone.

i was under the impression they were going to buy themselves out of that contract?

pip08456 21-04-2021 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36077495)
i was under the impression they were going to buy themselves out of that contract?

They haven't done so yet.

Pierre 21-04-2021 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36077495)

There's no need to.

There is a lot of work going on prior to the merger in finalising what the new architecture and equipment will be to support the O2 infrastructure in the new entity.

Then it has to be built and activated which will probably take some time, I haven't seen a programme.

As seen as there is a contract in place with Vodafone it doesn't make sense to break it and incur penalties and potential disruption when it can all be moved over at a later date when everything is in place.

vincerooney 22-04-2021 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36077547)
There's no need to.

There is a lot of work going on prior to the merger in finalising what the new architecture and equipment will be to support the O2 infrastructure in the new entity.

Then it has to be built and activated which will probably take some time, I haven't seen a programme.

As seen as there is a contract in place with Vodafone it doesn't make sense to break it and incur penalties and potential disruption when it can all be moved over at a later date when everything is in place.

Do we know when the contract with vodafone ends?

I'm an o2 customer at the moment and have been for about 18 years but been thinking about leaving for a while and just getting a mobile with virgin media instead.

Now they're merging with o2...

pip08456 22-04-2021 01:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36077587)
Do we know when the contract with vodafone ends?

I'm an o2 customer at the moment and have been for about 18 years but been thinking about leaving for a while and just getting a mobile with virgin media instead.

Now they're merging with o2...

That's a bit complicated to answer. The 5yr Vodaphone contract was signged late 2019 but Virgin's EE contract doesn't end until late 2021. Persumably the Vodaphone one will commecnce then or does it? They are already rolling out Vodaphone's 5G connectivity does that mean the Vodaphone contract is already in effect? Who knows other than Virgin?

Itshim 22-04-2021 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36077589)
That's a bit complicated to answer. The 5yr Vodaphone contract was signged late 2019 but Virgin's EE contract doesn't end until late 2021. Persumably the Vodaphone one will commecnce then or does it? They are already rolling out Vodaphone's 5G connectivity does that mean the Vodaphone contract is already in effect? Who knows other than Virgin?

So whom would be servicing virgin mobile if l signed up in the next few weeks ? Have vodaphone at the moment and it is rubbish . :dunce:

1andrew1 02-05-2021 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36077678)
So whom would be servicing virgin mobile if l signed up in the next few weeks ? Have vodaphone at the moment and it is rubbish . :dunce:

Vodafone.

RichardCoulter 02-05-2021 23:56

What's O2 customer service like (never used them) and do they use UK based call centres?

If it 's any good, hopefully they will improve the current abysmal CS efforts of VM.