Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other ISPs Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Is it possible to have two non VM FTTP services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711761)

daveeb 03-03-2023 12:17

Is it possible to have two non VM FTTP services

Hi all.
I think I read a while ago that the above is possible. I currently have two broadband services, one from VM and one from Zen. Should I decide to ditch VM would I be able to get a second FTTP service from another provider e.g. CityFibre and if so would the Openreach engineers use the same box on the wall (that Zen use) or would they install a second one. Ta :)

Paul 03-03-2023 13:15

Re: Is it possible to have two non VM FTTP services

There is no technical reason, other than capacity.
Its no different to them providing it to a neighbour.
I would think they need to use their own box, ONT etc.

daveeb 03-03-2023 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36147361)

Thanks Paul, gives me another option if the negotiation doesn't go to plan.

pip08456 03-03-2023 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36147361)

Correct.

daveeb 03-03-2023 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36147400)
Correct.

I thankee :tu:

pip08456 03-03-2023 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36147401)
I thankee :tu:

The only time it would be a problem is if your second choice was also an Openreach user, then it wouldn't be possible for residential customers.

daveeb 03-03-2023 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36147403)
The only time it would be a problem is if your second choice was also an Openreach user, then it wouldn't be possible for residential customers.

But isn't every choice (other than VM) an Openreach user ?

pip08456 03-03-2023 23:51

No. there are many AltNets out there including City Fibre.

daveeb 04-03-2023 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36147413)
No. there are many AltNets out there including City Fibre.

Ah OK I understand now, thanks. I just read that Zen use the CityFibre infrastucture so that should mean I could in theory go for e.g. Sky who use Openreach ?. Although thinking back, when i had Zen installed it was Openreach engineers who did the install and the grey box on the wall says Openreach on it.
edit..looks like the information about Zen was wrong, they do use Openreach.

Paul 04-03-2023 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36147403)

On what do you base this ?
There is certainly no technical reason.

As far as policy restriction is concerned, the only restriction I know of is two connections from the same provider.
i.e. you could not have two FTTP connections from EE for example, but you could have 1 x EE and 1 x BT, the OP specified different providers.

I'm also told the standard FTTP drop wire has multiple cores, so you would not even need two of them.

pip08456 05-03-2023 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36147472)
On what do you base this ?
There is certainly no technical reason.

As far as policy restriction is concerned, the only restriction I know of is two connections from the same provider.
i.e. you could not have two FTTP connections from EE for example, but you could have 1 x EE and 1 x BT, the OP specified different providers.

I'm also told the standard FTTP drop wire has multiple cores, so you would not even need two of them.

I base it on the fact that Openreach supply 1 CBT port per residential building. The FTTP cable from the CBT is single core.

daveeb 05-03-2023 15:13

Thanks both, there's a lot of conflicting information online. Some say you can have two different Openreach HTTP lines others not. I also read that whilst it's technically possible Openreach don't like providing two connections. Guess my choices are find an altnet in my area (Cityfibre isn't available, possibly due to the fact that VM and Openreach are well established here already), ring an alternate Openreach provider and ask, or suck up any deal i can squeeze out of VM.

Paul 05-03-2023 21:02

The simple answer is try it, its the only certain way to know.

adzii_nufc 25-03-2023 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36147504)
Thanks both, there's a lot of conflicting information online. Some say you can have two different Openreach HTTP lines others not. I also read that whilst it's technically possible Openreach don't like providing two connections. Guess my choices are find an altnet in my area (Cityfibre isn't available, possibly due to the fact that VM and Openreach are well established here already), ring an alternate Openreach provider and ask, or suck up any deal i can squeeze out of VM.

We don't. But I've done it before so it can be done. No idea what they paid but I know the common factor is something already mentioned. It requires redundant CBT ports. 10 houses, 12 ports, 2 houses, 4 ports etc.

We work in 4,8 and 12. Often numerous CBTs to a UG box or pole. So you won't get it if it means taking a potential future customer or needed port out.

Only other things to answer. Standard FTTP drop wire is indeed single fibre along the lines of Pip's thinking. There is multi fibre drops. Used to feed shared ducts or flats, they split at the property but again the connectorised end requires two individual CBT ports.

In this scenario though you can indeed feed a single property with two fibre lines in a single cable from a CBT albeit occupying two ports.

Another thing Pip mentioned. 1 port per residential dwelling. Depending on the network builder (myself) redundant ports are sometimes not spliced into the network. Thus more work required if someone was to request it. E.G 4 port CBT/2 houses. 2 ports with light and spliced up. 2 unspliced and zero light.

pip08456 25-03-2023 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 36148751)
We don't. But I've done it before so it can be done. No idea what they paid but I know the common factor is something already mentioned. It requires redundant CBT ports. 10 houses, 12 ports, 2 houses, 4 ports etc.

We work in 4,8 and 12. Often numerous CBTs to a UG box or pole. So you won't get it if it means taking a potential future customer or needed port out.

Only other things to answer. Standard FTTP drop wire is indeed single fibre along the lines of Pip's thinking. There is multi fibre drops. Used to feed shared ducts or flats, they split at the property but again the connectorised end requires two individual CBT ports.

In this scenario though you can indeed feed a single property with two fibre lines in a single cable from a CBT albeit occupying two ports.

Another thing Pip mentioned. 1 port per residential dwelling. Depending on the network builder (myself) redundant ports are sometimes not spliced into the network. Thus more work required if someone was to request it. E.G 4 port CBT/2 houses. 2 ports with light and spliced up. 2 unspliced and zero light.

-
Is it possible that those 2 unspliced ports were because the splitter was at capcity and to splice them in another splitter would be needed?