Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Freeview changes (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708761)

cheekyangus 26-11-2020 22:50

Re: Freeview changes

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36055178)
​User TYCO on Digital Spy has said CCXTV is no longer registered to Ideal World and is now under the ownership of UKTV. No source is given.

Since Yesterday+1 (Ch75) was added months ago I've been thinking it was a placeholder for Eden to go Free-To-Air. It's only on from 5am-7am daily so it needed a stream, which this would give it, as well as a much better EPG number. Yesterday is currently Ch25, so maybe it would switch to Ch23 and any CCXTV replacement would be on Ch25 (26 from November).

CCXTV, at LCN Ch 23, is currently the most prominent channel not being affected by the process to move BBC4 in Scotland to within the Top 24 by moving every channel between 24 and 54 down a place.

According to a516digital on Twitter the company has appointed UKTV directors with a link to a .gov website in the thread. So it seems the UKTV takeover of CCXTV is real and the BARB ratings grouping with the other UKTV channels wasn't an error.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...85224856031233

Tinky 29-11-2020 19:17

What's happening with Freeview, went to watch 'Can't pay we'll take it away' normally channel 30 (Blaze ?) and I got 'no signal', so I retuned and I still could not get it. Then I tried 'storage wars' channel 63, again no joy, also wanted to watch Pawn stars without success. What channel can I find these on now please?:(

spiderplant 29-11-2020 20:49

CPWTIA is on channel 31 5STAR from 12:00 tomorrow.
Storage Wars and Pawn Stars are on channel 63 Blaze, starting 19:00 tomorrow.

If you're getting "no signal", you may have a problem with your aerial.

heero_yuy 30-11-2020 07:17

Try re-tuning. No signal usually means they've shifted things about (again :rolleyes:)

cheekyangus 30-11-2020 15:18

New changes on Freeview from 7th December.

"What's changing...
Channel - Channel Number - New Channel Number
Dave Ja Vu 79 > 23
Yesterday+1 75 > 74
CCX TV 23 > 73
Jewellery Maker 73 > 71
Shopping Quarter 74 > 72

Other changes...
Ketchup Channel will be renamed to Ketchup TV"

Source: https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/chan...ges-7-Dec-2020

---------- Post added at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

For me Dave Ja Vu being moved to 23 and Yesterday remaining at 26 is confirmation that Dave Ja Vu is now a temporary placeholder for a future channel (e.g. maybe Eden going Free-To-Air) as you don't move a +1 with much lower ratings above another of your own Non+1 channels. It's plainly a precursor to a future change.

cheekyangus 14-12-2020 11:31

​@ukdtt on Twitter has noticed an OFCOM license that suggests GOLD is coming to Freeview, and therefore probably FTA on other platforms.

https://twitter.com/ukdtt/status/1338359321256718337​​

Now that UKTV has got 24 hour streams for Dave Ja Vu and CCXTV maybe UKTV are making two channels FTA? Until this license got reported I thought speculation about this unlikely. Less so now.

Dave Ja Vu is at too prominent an EPG number (23) for a +1 so I still feel it's a placeholder. I know I'm a stuck record on this, but I can still see Eden going FTA as it's ratings are much worse than the rest of UKTV's channels, except for CCXTV which they just bought.

cheekyangus 15-12-2020 20:31

Apparently the GOLD Freeview license was an administrative mistake.

RAM on Digital Spy has posted that they emailed UKTV and got the following reply.

"Dear Viewer,

Thank you for your email.

Thanks for your message and to confirm, Gold is not moving into Free to Air. Unfortunately Ofcom inadvertently published Dave’s license on its website. As Dave is a free to air channel this made it look like Gold was moving into Free. This is not the case and Ofcom have now corrected their website. We hope this clarifies the situation and thank you very much for your interest in UKTV’s channels.
"

cheekyangus 25-01-2021 19:20

​CCXTV has no EPG information from next Monday according to @Page_888 on Twitter.

This was then confirmed by @budgie on Twitter who posted a photo showing an on-screen message saying it's closing on 1st February to be replaced by Drama+1.
https://mobile.twitter.com/budgie/st...39139200536578

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

​Also @ukdtt on Twitter says PBS America and +1 are moving to 84 and 87 respectively from 1st February.

There are obviously going to be more moves as these numbers are currently occupied.

I can't find a source for those to confirm yet. But there are some gaps needing filled so I can see more shuffling happening.

cheekyangus 27-01-2021 15:52

Official update post now on Freeview website.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/chan...number-changes

It worked out the way I thought when I saw the new PBS numbers the other day.

Service changes
CCXTV --> Drama +1 Ch73

Channel number changes

Now 70s 78--> 75
Now 80s 83--> 76
Now 90s 84--> 78
Clubland TV 82--> 79
Together TV 87--> 82
Together TV +1 88--> 83
PBS America 91--> 84
PBS America +1 93--> 87
Forces TV 96--> 88
Country Music Entertainment 98--> 89

cheekyangus 01-02-2021 10:02

​Forces TV is no longer moving number today on Freeview. Country Music Entertainment is now moving to Ch88 instead.

Heads-up from a516digital today on Twitter. Confirmed on the updated Freeview page (link in above post).

cheekyangus 13-02-2021 19:46

​According to @ukdtt Together+1 is closing on Freeview. @a516digital has posted a photo of confirmation from EPG data.

There has been speculation from others that their stream is being used for Court TV, which is launching on Freeview on Monday.

Given they only just moved up the EPG, there would have been no reason to bother unless they knew something was taking the slot.

If true, I assume the recent consultation has been given the go-ahead as Together TV has nothing to do with Court TV, so the new LCN trading rules would need to be in effect.

cheekyangus 15-02-2021 13:22

​Court TV now on Ch 89 on COM7.

Together TV +1 Ch 83 (COM7) has closed.
Midnight to 3am on Together TV Ch82 is vacant so I can see them parking the LCN there in the weeks to come.

Media Boy UK 23-04-2021 13:21

An ad on NOW 80s has revealed that NOW 80s will become NOW 70s on Freeview Channel 76 from April 28th.

Source: NOW 80s.

No news on what will happen to Freeview Channel 75 or if NOW 80s has got an new slot on Freeview has been seen by Media Boy HQ at time of posting.

cheekyangus 23-04-2021 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36077774)
An ad on NOW 80s has revealed that NOW 80s will become NOW 70s on Freeview Channel 76 from April 28th.

Source: NOW 80s.

No news on what will happen to Freeview Channel 75 or if NOW 80s has got an new slot on Freeview has been seen by Media Boy HQ at time of posting.

Odd. Thanks Media Boy.

Maybe it's going to be the first to use the new EPG trading rules? Some maybe wanted 75 and Now 70s parent company was willing? Forces TV put off a change to advance in the last mini reshuffle, maybe they wanted a more meaningful move before inconveniencing their viewers? Could be Together, PBS or Talking Pictures too.

3 of the 4 channels from that broadcaster are on G-Man and 1 is on COM7. And at least 1 of them is available via one of the IP channel portals.

Media Boy UK 28-04-2021 12:16

Update

NOW 70s moves to NOW 80s old slot on COM7
NOW 80s moves to NOW 70s old slot on G-Man
GB News has appeared on Freeview Channel 236 using COM6.

cheekyangus 28-04-2021 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36078189)
Update

NOW 70s moves to NOW 80s old slot on COM7
NOW 80s moves to NOW 70s old slot on G-Man

GB News has appeared on Freeview Channel 236 using COM6.

Apparently this Now Music change is only until some time in the Summer.

Source: Now Music on Twitter. https://twitter.com/NOWMusic/status/1387403404943794179

cheekyangus 25-05-2021 11:50

​The Sony to Great! rebrands have all happened today.

GREAT! TV Ch 49 was Sony Channel

GREAT! Movies Classic Ch 51 was Sony Movies Classic

GREAT! Movies Ch 33 was Sony Movies

GREAT! Movies Action Ch 41 was Sony Movies Action​

And the +1s

GREAT! TV +1 Ch 61

GREAT! Movies+1 ​Ch 60

GREAT! Movies Classic +1
Ch 62

cheekyangus 01-06-2021 16:31

​Court TV (Ch 89) has closed.

Heads-up from @ukdtt on Twitter. Confirmed on Freeview website.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/serv...urt-tv-closure

First of many imminent COM7 closures? Or just poor performance not justifying continued expenditure?

Not sure about status on other platforms at time of typing.

cheekyangus 22-06-2021 13:34

That's TV Gold - Channel 91 on COM7.
Shopping Quarter (Channel 72) has moved from BBCB (aka PSB3) to COM6.

So it looks like Local TV operator That's TV is launching a nationwide music TV station.

No confirmation of content, just a guess it's music based on their current "local" output. The slogan on their new Twitter account says "The Home of Nostalgia", while the slate on Freeview says "Celebrating The Decades"

The Shopping Quarter multiplex move is interesting. Not because of the channel itself, but because it has moved from the highest geographic coverage coverage of PSB3 to COM6 which has lower coverage. Of course the chanfe from approx 98% population coverage to appox 90% also comes with a change from being DVB-T2 which only newer HD-capable Freeview tuners can decode, to DVB-T which all Freeview tuners can show.

The electronic programme guide seems to indicate that Shopping Quarter has a 24hr schedule so maybe it's taken the remaining COM6 stream that's been empty for a while. It's still broadcasting as I type so it's not taken sister channel Jewellery Maker's 8am-1pm timeshare slot. JM timeshares with PBS America, which is still broadcasting on Freeview so it's not that stream. SQ was broadcasting its content until 1pm then switched to JM content, so maybe SQ is sharing with JM on a full stream? And as I've just noticed whilst typing this, it is indeed sharing, there a notice on the Channel 71 off-air slate that says it is on Channel 72 from 1pm to 5pm.

Now SQ has vacated PSB3 maybe the other SD channel there will be following suit soon? TBN UK now has nowhere to go (if SQ took stream 16 on COM6) unless it Arqiva ups the total number of video streams on its two multiplexes from 16 to 18 to match SDN (COM4).

If both SD channels are leaving BBCB (PSB3) then that's the first indication, in my opinion, that (at least) another HD stream is to be fitted onto it. Though with new encoders it could be more, and needs to be if the BBC is going to fit BBC News HD and BBC4 HD/CBeebies HD in time for (temporary multiplex) COM7's closure due June 2022, or earlier if EE wants its spectrum sooner.

With the commitment to have BBC1 English regions HD by end of 2022 then BBCB(PSB3) needs changes/upgraded equipment anyway, so there's the opportunity to do more at the same time.

Media Boy UK 22-06-2021 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36084039)
That's TV Gold - Channel 91 on COM7.
Shopping Quarter (Channel 72) has moved from BBCB (aka PSB3) to COM6.

The Shopping Quarter multiplex move is interesting. Not because of the channel itself, but because it has moved from the highest geographic coverage coverage of PSB3 to COM6 which has lower coverage. Of course the chanfe from approx 98% population coverage to appox 90% also comes with a change from being DVB-T2 which only newer HD-capable Freeview tuners can decode, to DVB-T which all Freeview tuners can show.

I think Sewing Street will be moving soon to Jewellery Maker's part time slot on Freeview so that Shopping Quarter aka Jewellery Maker can air like it do on both Sky and Virgin Media UK.

By the way Sewing Street posted on Facebook something is set to happen on Thursday to the PSB3 stream on Freeview.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewing Street via Facebook (Post 36084002)
Retune your TV on Tuesday 22nd June - Thursday 24th June to get us.

An other channel to move streams on Thursday?
An new to Freeview channel to launch on PBS3 stream on Thursday?

cheekyangus 22-06-2021 17:13

It reads to me more like they didn't know the exact date of the multiplex move, so they gave a range. I don't think anything will happen on Thursday, the Shopping Quarter on PSB3 closed when it started on COM6.

cheekyangus 24-06-2021 11:53

​Ok here's a move you couldn't see coming.

5Select is moving to a DVB-T2 multiplex on 1st July.

Most likely to be BBCB/PSB3 as the wording says "We're making these changes to ensure the continued availability of 5Select into the future​​" and COM7 is temporary.

https://faqs.channel5.com/hc/en-us/a...st-July​

Why it would move from COM4, where 4 other of its channels are, isn't obvious. It is the lowest rated, bearing in mind that there aren't separate C5+1 ratings on the BARB website and you'd expect that to actually be the lowest rating of the Freeview-available channels.

When many (including me) had been expecting PSB3 to be adding extra HD streams and so vacating the SD channels, this is a surprise if it is indeed going to the stream just vacated by Shopping Quarter.

Is there going to be a reconfiguring of COM4 needing space to implement?

Is it simply a cost cutting measure since DTT is the most expensive platform to broadcast on?

So many things to wonder about.

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

The pop-up message is already showing on the channel telling you you need to retune on the 1st as there's going to ne a change. Most DVB-T2 tuners automatically retune anyway so the retune information is in some respects unnecessary.

Maybe it should instead say "you may lose this channel on the 1st, if you can't see it after this date you need to upgrade to a Freeview HD or Play branded device".

Media Boy UK 24-06-2021 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36084225)
​Ok here's a move you couldn't see coming.

5Select is moving to a DVB-T2 multiplex on 1st July.

Most likely to be BBCB/PSB3 as the wording says "We're making these changes to ensure the continued availability of 5Select into the future​​" and COM7 is temporary.

https://faqs.channel5.com/hc/en-us/a...st-July​

Why it would move from COM4, where 4 other of its channels are, isn't obvious. It is the lowest rated, bearing in mind that there aren't separate C5+1 ratings on the BARB website and you'd expect that to actually be the lowest rating of the Freeview-available channels.

Look like ViacomCBS deal with COM4 to broadcast Channel 5 + 24/My 5/ 5Select is up and an other broadcaster (unkown at time of posting) has out bid ViacomCBS for that slot.

So with the info you have posted it look like 5Select will be move to BBC B/PSB3

cheekyangus 24-06-2021 14:37

I've come up with an alternative idea regarding what's happening with 5Select. It's unlikely though.

The information posted by Channel 5 says it's only going to be receivable on Freeview via equipment with an HD tuner, so the automatic thinking is BBCB/PSB3 or the temporary COM7 but that's not actually the only possibility.

In the UK our HD DTT multiplexes have all been DVB-T2 with MPEG4 streams carrying the HD and SD channels on them. However HD doesn't need to be MPEG4 and MPEG4 doesn't need to be DVB-T2. To my recollection Australia had (past tense) HD using MPEG2 and France used to have MPEG4 carried via DVB-T.

My point is that it that one of the current UK DVB-T multiplexes could carry an MPEG4 stream alongside the MPEG2 streams. A channel delivered this way would only be receivable by equipment with the ability to decode MPEG4, which in the UK would mean equipment that also happens to be DVB-T2. DVB-T2 equipment would decode the MPEG4 whether it is on T or T2.

Why would you want to carry MPEG4 on a DVB-T multiplex in the UK? Well it's a way of slowly transitioning services to better technology without switching the entire multiplex over and requiring all the channels on that multiplex to change at once.

There would be a gradual change, and one by one the entire multiplex will turn MPEG4. By the end you could simply upgrade the multiplex to DVB-T2 and benefit from the extra bandwidth from doing so, allowing more services or better quality transmission e.g. higher res SD or HD, or a mix of both.

DVB-T2 offers more bandwidth than DVB-T, it's not that HD or MPEG4 can't be delivered by the latter.

A mixed technology service has already been implemented in the UK, so it can be done. The main National 1 commercial DAB Radio multiplex has been carrying a mix of DAB and DAB+ for a few years now. Gradually more and more DAB+ stations have been added as the DAB stations have been removed. Old DAB equipment can see the DAB+ stations listed but not tune in, an incentive to upgrade but not rendering their existing equipment useless.

Maybe 5Select is remaining on COM4/SDN and simply this is the first of many channels to switch?

Media Boy UK 24-06-2021 14:38

Due to Radio channels being on COM5 and COM6 they may not have room for up to 18 streams and can only hold 16 streams.

SDN has 18 streams but no radio channels.

cheekyangus 24-06-2021 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36084239)
Due to Radio channels being on COM5 and COM6 they may not have room for up to 18 streams and can only hold 16 streams.

SDN has 18 streams but no radio channels.

SDN does carry radio. Capital, Absolute and Heart.
Source: https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate...-professionals

Media Boy UK 24-06-2021 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36084240)
SDN does carry radio. Capital, Absolute and Heart.
Source: https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate...-professionals

oops

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

But ARQ A broadcasts:
-talkSPORT (1)
-RNIB Connect (2)
-Classic FM (3)
-LBC (4)
-Trans World Radio (5)

And ARQ B broadcasts:
-Hits Radio (1)
-KISS FRESH (2)
-KISS (3)
-KISSTORY (4)
-Magic Radio (5)
-Greatest Hits Radio (6)
-Kerrang! Radio (7)
-Smooth Radio (8)
-Premier Radio (9)

So base on SDN Mux (By the looks of things Three Radio channels take up the space of one SD Channel).

ARQ A/COM5 have got room to launch an Radio channel and also an SD Channel.
ARQ B/COM6 have got no more room.

cheekyangus 24-06-2021 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36084241)
oops

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

But ARQ A broadcasts:
-talkSPORT (1)
-RNIB Connect (2)
-Classic FM (3)
-LBC (4)
-Trans World Radio (5)

And ARQ B broadcasts:
-Hits Radio (1)
-KISS FRESH (2)
-KISS (3)
-KISSTORY (4)
-Magic Radio (5)
-Greatest Hits Radio (6)
-Kerrang! Radio (7)
-Smooth Radio (8)
-Premier Radio (9)

So base on SDN Mux (By the looks of things Three Radio channels take up the space of one SD Channel).

ARQ A/COM5 have got room to launch an Radio channel and also an SD Channel.
ARQ B/COM6 have got no more room.

Thought COM5 and COM6 could similarly do the gradual transition to MPEG4 I suggested as a (slim) possibility above, I can't see Arqiva adding Shopping Quarter as MPEG2 on Tuesday if they were about to (slowly) transition a multiplex. COM4/SDN being owned by ITV has an interest in starting to move things forward as it brings ending dual transmission (HD/SD) of PSB closer, and the costs associated with it. If 5Select's contract was up maybe it's the first candidate for all transmission carriage renewal deals?

It probably will be BBCB/PSB3, I'm just positing an alternative possibility.

Media Boy UK 24-06-2021 15:54

I think Ideal World (Channel 22) is up in 2022.

I think it stay to say 5Select's contract is up and need to move due to being outbid with an other unkown broadcaster.

In the past on Freeview Price Drop was axe for some months when Discovery was rumour to pay £10m for Price Drop slot to launch Quest.

cheekyangus 01-07-2021 12:59

5Select has moved from COM4 multiplex to BBCB/PSB3. Now requires DVB-T2 equipment to receive. Channel number of 55 remains unchanged.

365 Travel has been removed on Ch 251. This service was on COM4.

Media Boy UK 03-07-2021 16:57

TV Channellists.com is today reporting that That's TV Gold is rumoured to launch Freeview HD and Sky on July 8th 2021.

https://www.tvchannellists.com/Forth...UK_%26_Ireland)

cheekyangus 04-07-2021 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36085178)
TV Channellists.com is today reporting that That's TV Gold is rumoured to launch Freeview HD and Sky on July 8th 2021.

https://www.tvchannellists.com/Forth...UK_%26_Ireland)

There's some posters on Digital Spy who are saying there's a noticeable change in programming from that date on the EPG schedule data. Not a complete change, but different enough.

Media Boy UK 05-07-2021 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36085214)
There's some posters on Digital Spy who are saying there's a noticeable change in programming from that date on the EPG schedule data. Not a complete change, but different enough.

That's TV Gold will broadcast the same as That's TV Local.

Thursday on both channels at 6am That's 80s will be broadcast. (After 9am no more listings That's TV Gold has appeared so far)

That's TV Local will broadcast That's TV Gold for up to 6 hours a day from Thursday.

Source: My TV Set.

Media Boy UK 06-07-2021 11:35

New Shopping channel set to launch on Freeview.

DTT UK via Twitter is reporting that Ofcom has today given out an new DTPS channel licence to "CraftExtra".

https://twitter.com/ukdtt/status/1412316647965270017

cheekyangus 06-07-2021 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36085408)
New Shopping channel set to launch on Freeview.

DTT UK via Twitter is reporting that Ofcom has today given out an new DTPS channel licence to "CraftExtra".

https://twitter.com/ukdtt/status/1412316647965270017

I'd imagine it would cost too much to be worthwhile on COM4 and Ideal Extra launched on the Local mux much to many's surprise (as they weren't expecting an extra stream added), so I wouldn't put it past Ideal World putting it on COM7, knowing it won't be there for long and getting a cheap deal as a result. There's still an empty stream after That's TV Gold launches on it, to my recollection.

Maybe COM5 and COM6 might be reconfiguring for extra streams?

So many options. :D

I hope it isn't COM4, what a waste of an opportunity.

Media Boy UK 06-07-2021 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36085435)
I'd imagine it would cost too much to be worthwhile on COM4 and Ideal Extra launched on the Local mux much to many's surprise (as they weren't expecting an extra stream added), so I wouldn't put it past Ideal World putting it on COM7, knowing it won't be there for long and getting a cheap deal as a result. There's still an empty stream after That's TV Gold launches on it, to my recollection.

Maybe COM5 and COM6 might be reconfiguring for extra streams?

So many options. :D

I hope it isn't COM4, what a waste of an opportunity.

I think both BBC B and COM7 are full.

Base on COM4 (They can hold up to 18 streams) COM4 have room for one TV and one Radio Channel to launch due to 5Select moving to BBCB/PSB3 and 365 Travel being axe last week.

With COM5 and COM6 have got room to launch FOUR Channels.

RichardCoulter 06-07-2021 15:54

I think Com 7 is due to close in June 2022ish, so I bet you're right and they have got a cheap deal.

Apparently, they've also been giving a free or hugely discounted months trial to let the Less popular channels try out Freeview to see if it's worth their while signing up for a longer term eg Court TV, That's TV Gold. Can't remember where I read it.

cheekyangus 06-07-2021 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36085442)
I think both BBC B and COM7 are full.

Base on COM4 (They can hold up to 18 streams) COM4 have room for one TV and one Radio Channel to launch due to 5Select moving to BBCB/PSB3 and 365 Travel being axe last week.

With COM5 and COM6 have got room to launch FOUR Channels.

COM7 runs at over 36Mb/s
Currently 6 SD streams (soon to be 7 again) and 5 HD
BBCB runs at 40Mb/s
Currently 2 SD streams and 6 HD

The general rule of thumb is HD takes 4x space of SD so you could say BBCB is already carrying the equivalent of COM7 if you mentally converted its extra HD stream into 4 SD streams. And that's before you take into consideration the 40 Vs 36 Mb/s difference in bandwidth.

I vaguely recall COM7 had a maximum of 5HD and 8 SD after COM8 closed so I think there's one encoder unused there.

There seems to space for extra services on BBCB even before the multiplex gets reengineered for extra BBC1 and ITV regional HD, it's simply that there are no extra encoders in place before this reengineering takes place, the way I interpret it

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36085451)
I think Com 7 is due to close in June 2022ish, so I bet you're right and they have got a cheap deal.

Apparently, they've also been giving a free or hugely discounted months trial to let the Less popular channels try out Freeview to see if it's worth their while signing up for a longer term eg Court TV, That's TV Gold. Can't remember where I read it.

I'd be interested in the source Richard.

cheekyangus 09-07-2021 13:48

That's TV Gold "launches" tonight at 9pm.

The other content looks like the same type of documentaries CCXTV had. There are film and sports docs so it's not going to be a music video channel.

https://twitter.com/ThatsTVGold/stat...16803934613509

Media Boy UK 09-07-2021 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36085748)

The other content looks like the same type of documentaries CCXTV had. There are film and sports docs so it's not going to be a music video channel.

Also the lineup will be same as That's TV Local but no TJC.

cheekyangus 09-07-2021 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36085755)

I was surprised when I heard that.

Media Boy UK 09-07-2021 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36085758)

Here is the variations:

Everyday:
9am to 1pm - That's Golden Oldies (On That's TV Gold)
9am to 1pm - TJC (On That's Local)

Mondays to Fridays:
6pm to 7pm - That's ??s (On That's TV Gold)

6pm to 6.15pm - That's Local News (On That's TV Local)
6.15pm to 7pm - That's ??s (On That's Local)

I have got my own lineup on Freeview HD TV Set

That's tv Gold (Channel 56)
That's tv Scotland (Channel 57)
NOW ??s (Channel 58)

Media Boy UK 10-07-2021 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36085755)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36085758)

Even the ads is the same on That's TV Gold and That's TV Local.

cheekyangus 10-07-2021 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36085873)
Even the ads is the same on That's TV Gold and That's TV Local.

I'm not surprised by that.

Media Boy UK 12-07-2021 15:41

8 Channels has been removed from "Channelbox" Freeview channel 271.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...50752429842432

cheekyangus 12-07-2021 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36086052)
8 Channels has been removed from "Channelbox" Freeview channel 271.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...50752429842432

I wouldn't be surprised if those involved are moving to one of Channelbox's Freeview portal rivals (e.g. VisionTV Ch264 and On Demand 365 Ch265) and/or it's related to IP Fallback being implemented.

Now 70s/90s, Clubland, Country Music Entertainment and TV Warehouse are all on the limited availability G-Man multiplex on Freeview and may be intending to utilise the new functionality and rules to expand their availability outside Greater Manchester on Internet-Connected TVs using their current allocated channel numbers.

Media Boy UK 21-07-2021 15:56

Has BBC let cat of the bag???? Is S4C HD set to reappear on Freeview HD in Wales?

A516 Digital has reveal that BBC Three is set to launch only in SD in Wales and Scotland,

A516 Digital has found info that says that S4C HD is set to reappear on Freeview HD in Wales.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...95639879024640

cheekyangus 21-07-2021 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36087130)
Has BBC let cat of the bag???? Is S4C HD set to reappear on Freeview HD in Wales?

A516 Digital has reveal that BBC Three is set to launch only in SD in Wales and Scotland,

A516 Digital has found info that says that S4C HD is set to reappear on Freeview HD in Wales.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...95639879024640

Not new, it was talked about months ago (that S4C wanted to use the space they were entitled to and so BBC3 would have to be SD only on Freeview in Scotland and Wales) when they announced BBC3's broadcast return, this is just the closest it's come to being official, or in public, rather than gossip of the "they've said in private" variety.

RichardCoulter 21-07-2021 19:01

I wonder which would get the most viewers in Wales, BBC3 HD or S4C HD?

Media Boy UK 21-07-2021 23:56

Media Boy Sources says Sky are going to stop providing their channels to other providers in the future, Comcast want Sky channels exclusive to Sky and Now.

RichardCoulter 22-07-2021 00:58

I doubt they would take their FTA channels off Freeview as they are used to advertise their pay TV offerings.

Media Boy UK 26-07-2021 13:37

An Consultation on amending our rules on creating slots for public service channels. Published on July 9th 2021 wants the following to happen:

Now:
23. Dave ja vu
24. BBC Four (Scotland only)
25. ITV4
26. Yesterday
27. ITVBe
28. ITV2 + 1
29. E4 +1
30. 4Music
31. 5Star
32. Paramount Network
33. GREAT! movies
34. ITV +1, UTV + 1 and STV + 1
35. Pick
36. QVC Beauty
37. QVC Style
38. DMAX
39. Quest Red
40. CBS Justice
41. GREAT! movies action
42. Food Network
43. HGTV
44. Gems TV
45. Channel 5 +1
46. Film4 +1
47. Challenge
48. 4seven
49. GREAT! tv
50. TJC
51. GREAT! movies classic
52. TG4 (N. Ireland only)
53. RTE One (N. Ireland only)
54. RTE2 (N. Ireland only)
55. 5SELECT
56. Smithsonian Channel
57. ITVBe +1
58. ITV3 +1
59. ITV4 +1
60. GREAT! movies +1
61. GREAT! tv +1
62. GREAT! movies classic +1
63. Blaze
64. FreeSports
65. TBN UK
66. CBS Reality
67. CBS Drama
68. Horror Channel
69. Quest +1
70. Quest Red +1
71. Jewellery Maker
72. Shopping Quarter
73. Drama +1
74. Yesterday +1
75. NOW 80s
76. NOW 70s
77. TCC
78. NOW 90s
79. Clubland TV
80. Blaze +1
81. Talking Pictures TV
82. Together TV
84. PBS America

If Digital UK get they way:
23. BBC Three
24. BBC Four (Scotland only)
25. Dave ja vu
26. ITV4
27. Yesterday
28. ITVBe
29. ITV2 + 1
30. E4 +1
31. 4Music
32. 5Star
33. Paramount Network
34. GREAT! movies
35. ITV +1, UTV + 1 and STV + 1
36. Pick
37. QVC Beauty
38. QVC Style
39. DMAX
40. Quest Red
41. CBS Justice
42. GREAT! movies action
43. Food Network
44. HGTV
45. Gems TV
46. Channel 5 +1
47. Film4 +1
48. Challenge
49. 4seven
50. GREAT! tv
51. TJC
52. GREAT! movies classic
53. TG4 (N. Ireland only)
54. RTE One (N. Ireland only)
55. RTE2 (N. Ireland only)
56. 5SELECT
57. Smithsonian Channel
58. ITVBe +1
59. ITV3 +1
60. ITV4 +1
61. GREAT! movies +1
62. GREAT! tv +1
63. GREAT! movies classic +1
64. Blaze
65. FreeSports
66. TBN UK
67. CBS Reality
68. CBS Drama
69. Horror Channel
70. Quest +1
71. Quest Red +1
72. Jewellery Maker
73. Shopping Quarter
74. Drama +1
75. Yesterday +1
76. NOW 80s
77. NOW 70s
78. TCC
79. NOW 90s
80. Clubland TV
81. Blaze +1
82. Talking Pictures TV
83. Together TV
84. PBS America

https://www.freeview.co.uk/sites/def...-lcns-2021.pdf

Media Boy UK 28-07-2021 14:23

5Select has been removed from COM4.

Media Boy UK 30-07-2021 15:52

Media Boy Sources have told me the following:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy Sources (Post 36087701)
Sky are looking into an HD slot on Freeview for Sky Arts. But they doubt anything will come of it.

cheekyangus 30-07-2021 19:06

Unless they have information regards COMs 4-6 changing configuration then I don't see where it would go, unless it was streamed.

Media Boy UK 03-08-2021 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36085748)

-Ideal World is now on That's TV Gold from 9am to 1pm when
-TJC is being shown on That's TV Local from 9am to 1pm.

Media Boy UK 04-08-2021 17:01

Media Boy EXCLUSIVE: Media Boy Sources confirmed that Discovery to axe linear channels by 2023.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...confirmed.html

Media Boy UK 15-08-2021 17:55

SDN has a UK DTT capacity opportunity for Broadcasters in summer 2020.

https://sdn.co.uk/

cheekyangus 15-08-2021 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089859)
SDN has a UK DTT capacity opportunity for Broadcasters in summer 2020.

https://sdn.co.uk/

You've got to wonder why they still have that written on their front page given it's 2021.

Media Boy UK 15-08-2021 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36089875)
You've got to wonder why they still have that written on their front page given it's 2021.

Oops I did forgot it was 2021. You know with all the Summer sports events being called "Euro" 2020.

cheekyangus 15-08-2021 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089877)
Oops I did forgot it was 2021. You know with all the Summer sports events being called "Euro" 2020.

Easily done. :)

Media Boy UK 16-08-2021 15:51

RXTV is reporting that Now 70s being UK Wide will end on August 25th.

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Arqiva ‘preparing to sell UK operations’

https://www.tvbeurope.com/business/a...-uk-operations

Paul 16-08-2021 19:07

Does anyone still use Freeview ?

I stopped receiving any kind of TV through an aerial about 20 years ago.

I have Sky, Virgin (atm), Freesat & Internet.

spiderplant 16-08-2021 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36089975)

Yes, 18 million homes.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/about-freeview

OLD BOY 16-08-2021 20:09

That includes me. I record everything from the HD terrestrials through my aerial/Blu Ray recorder. It helps with the limited capacity on the Virgin boxes.

Jaymoss 16-08-2021 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36089985)
That includes me. I record everything from the HD terrestrials through my aerial/Blu Ray recorder. It helps with the limited capacity on the Virgin boxes.

and here was me thinking you had hordes of capture cards and a massive raid array and recording all the streams you can get online. You using an aerial has totally shattered my illusions

cheekyangus 16-08-2021 23:14

Quote:

Yes, I've got it setup as a backup on the main TV, the main source on several secondary TVs, and as an extra tuner for recording in other instances.
Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36089985)

I'd love to see both your watching and recording itineraries for an average day one of these days Old Boy. I'm genuinely fascinated how it all works, and still having a full Virgin box.

And you're lucky to have a bluray recorder, they're not easy to get hold of these days, and were always expensive. HDD and DVD Recorders are hard enough to find.

RichardCoulter 17-08-2021 01:22

Quote:

A lot of people use it for secondary TV's. I also imagine that older people, people who don't watch much TV and the less affluent use it for their main TV too.

OLD BOY 17-08-2021 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36089994)
and here was me thinking you had hordes of capture cards and a massive raid array and recording all the streams you can get online. You using an aerial has totally shattered my illusions

I have the streamers, too! I'm not a one-trick pony, you know. :D

heero_yuy 17-08-2021 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36090025)
A lot of people use it for secondary TV's. I also imagine that older people, people who don't watch much TV and the less affluent use it for their main TV too.

I use it on the TV in the kitchen since we changed over to a V6 which didn't have a SCART output to drive the modulator. The external antenna had disintegrated but a high gain loft antenna pulls in enough signal.

The main TV is tuned in and has the HD tuner but I usually use the V6 HDMI.

Richardr 17-08-2021 13:48

Government confirm that the existing licences will be rolled over:

News Release

Hugh 17-08-2021 14:08

Quote:

Ministers decide Freeview platform will be supported until at least 2034
Interesting note at the end of that release…

Quote:

Include a power giving Ofcom the ability to revoke licences for spectrum management reasons with the consent of the DCMS Secretary of State but require that revocation cannot take effect before the end of 2030 and that a five year notice period must apply

1andrew1 18-08-2021 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36090029)
I have the streamers, too! I'm not a one-trick pony, you know. :D

Don't tell him about your back-up VCR. :D

OLD BOY 21-08-2021 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36090087)
Interesting note at the end of that release…

Quote:
Include a power giving Ofcom the ability to revoke licences for spectrum management reasons with the consent of the DCMS Secretary of State but require that revocation cannot take effect before the end of 2030 and that a five year notice period must apply

Which brings us nicely to 2035! :D

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36090187)
Don't tell him about your back-up VCR. :D

I had about 55 VCR tapes back in the day. I was rather glad to be able to get rid of all that clutter when digital came along.

Media Boy UK 21-08-2021 19:51

When will the old 5Select slot be reuse on COM4 on Freeview?

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089955)
RXTV is reporting that Now 70s being UK Wide will end on August 25th.

NOW 80s will take over NOW 70's UK Wide slot from August 25th.

cheekyangus 21-08-2021 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36090530)
When will the old 5Select slot be reuse on COM4 on Freeview?

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

NOW 80s will take over NOW 70's UK Wide slot from August 25th.

I wonder if ITV were waiting for the government decision on the Freeview multiplex licenses before following through on the old 5Select slot.

RichardCoulter 21-08-2021 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36090528)
Which brings us nicely to 2035! :D

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

I had about 55 VCR tapes back in the day. I was rather glad to be able to get rid of all that clutter when digital came along.

I thought that, but then I thought it could be read as 5 years notice could be given in 2025 to close it in 2030.

cheekyangus 22-08-2021 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36090543)
I thought that, but then I thought it could be read as 5 years notice could be given in 2025 to close it in 2030.

It does mean the latter. They were given authorisation to extend multiplexes to 2034. If they couldn't enact the 5 years notice until 2030 then there would be no point as the license would expire in less than 5 years from then.

The licenses could be extended once again if there is a need, 2034 isn't a definite end point for DTT.

Plenty time to know if they are going down the 5G Broadcast route, keeping the status quo, or something else entirely.

Maybe it'll just be 1 multiplex of the legacy technology from 2034, it doesn't need to be all or nothing. So many possibilities.

OLD BOY 22-08-2021 02:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36090530)
When will the old 5Select slot be reuse on COM4 on Freeview?[COLOR="Silver"]

Pardon my ignorance, but why does that even matter?

cheekyangus 22-08-2021 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36090546)
Pardon my ignorance, but why does that even matter?

Because some people only have Freeview and would like to know if they'd get an extra channel.

Some only have DVB-T equipment, so have lost a channel after it moved and would be interested if they'd get another.

It would matter to ITV, SDN is a lucrative business for them, and there is space that isn't paying currently.

It matters to many. Illustrated by the channel losing 28% of its audience on all platforms by this one change on 1 platform.

There have been complaints along the lines of "my dad's favourite channel is 5Select and now it's not showing, why is this?" on Social Media.

Just because we don't watch doesn't mean it's not important to others, including the vulnerable.

1andrew1 22-08-2021 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36090528)

For my sins, I confess to still hoarding a VCR and a few pre-recorded tapes. Whether anything still works is another matter!

Media Boy UK 26-08-2021 00:41

Some channels to rebrand soon on Freeview:

September:
26th: GREAT! movies classic to be known as GREAT! movies christmas. (UK Wide)
26th: GREAT! movies classic +1 to be known as GREAT! movies christmas +1. ( Manchester area only)

November:
20th: NOW 80s to be known as NOW Christmas. (Only on Freeview HD)

December:
27th: Now Christmas to be rebrand back to NOW 80s. (Only on Freeview HD)

January 2022:
4th: GREAT! movies christmas to be rebrand back to GREAT! movies classic. (UK Wide)
4th: GREAT! movies christmas +1 to be rebrand back to GREAT! movies classic +1. ( Manchester area only)

cheekyangus 26-08-2021 09:43

UK Wide is a big stretch, they are only available (on Freeview) in areas with Local TV multiplexes.

And COM7 has a much lower geographic availability than BBCB/PSB3 so it's not as simple has having Freeview HD capable equipment.

Media Boy UK 11-09-2021 13:41

Tennis Final to be shown on Channel 4 TONIGHT.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/channel-4-...al-from-amazon

Media Boy UK 25-09-2021 14:42

With October starting on Friday. Will the old 5Select slot be reuse on COM4 on Freeview this week?

cheekyangus 25-09-2021 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36094517)
With October starting on Friday. Will the old 5Select slot be reuse on COM4 on Freeview this week?

What's your thinking? Why is October important? Goldilocks Zone for launching coming up?

Media Boy UK 25-09-2021 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36094522)
What's your thinking? Why is October important? Goldilocks Zone for launching coming up?

Freeview sometime launch new channels at the start of the month.

cheekyangus 25-09-2021 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36094528)
Freeview sometime launch new channels at the start of the month.

There's a distinct lack of urgency to filling up DTT at the moment. There has been at least one stream available for quite some time.

Media Boy UK 15-10-2021 17:38

Some Local TV Channels to close on Sky from Wednesday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 36094538)
Cardiff TV (134) renames to Local TV and moves to EPG number 195 in the UK only. Local TV channel for; Cardiff TV, Bristol TV, Birmingham TV, Leeds TV, Liverpool TV, T&W TV, North Wales TV, Teesside TV, Manchester TV.
Bristol TV closes.
Birmingham TV closes​
Leeds TV closes
Liverpool TV closes
Tyne & Wear TV closes

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/What-s-...1/td-p/3776205

That time of posting we have seen no idea on what will happen for Freeview Viewers.

Paul 15-10-2021 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36097513)

Umm... This is for Freeview changes, not Sky.

Media Boy UK 15-10-2021 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097522)

The way Sky has put it (Local name) TV will close on Wednesday on Sky Channels 117/134.

With owners Local TV launch an UK Wide Channel on Sky Channel 195.

So Freeview viewers in the areas listed in my early post may no longer have an local programmes but an UK Wide channel.

Media Boy UK 20-10-2021 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36087701)
5Select has been removed from COM4.

THREE MONTHS later and ITV/SDN still to launch something new on 5Select old slot.

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

Also I have work out that BBC A has got an free 24 hour slot in Wales - so can more S4C onto it slot if they wanted to.

*Slot is use in Scotland for BBC Scotland SD Channel.

cheekyangus 20-10-2021 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36098255)
Also I have work out that BBC A has got an free 24 hour slot in Wales - so can more S4C onto it slot if they wanted to.

*Slot is use in Scotland for BBC Scotland SD Channel.

I've been saying that should happen long before Covid, since they adjusted the rest of the UK to match the make-up/configuration of the Scottish BBC-A multiplex even though it wasn't earmarked for use. The space has been there for a long time. I've previously suggested that since there is no obvious use in England, TV-wise, they might up the bitrates of some of the BBC Local radio stations e.g. stereo if they are currently mono.

Media Boy UK 21-10-2021 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36098270)
I've been saying that should happen long before Covid, since they adjusted the rest of the UK to match the make-up/configuration of the Scottish BBC-A multiplex even though it wasn't earmarked for use. The space has been there for a long time. I've previously suggested that since there is no obvious use in England, TV-wise, they might up the bitrates of some of the BBC Local radio stations e.g. stereo if they are currently mono.

I forgot about your past posts.

Sorry about that.:Peaceman:

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36097513)

That time of posting we have seen no idea on what will happen for Freeview Viewers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097522)

Look like Virgin Media are picking up "Liverpool TV" using Freeview as Digital Bits Rate is reporting at 11.51am on October 21st Liverpool TV is showing "Judge Judy".

Media Boy UK 26-10-2021 13:42

Is ITV/SDN set to use 5Select old slot???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin1960 on DS Forum (Post 36098696)
Assuming the EPG is correct, it would appear that from this coming weekend, ITV3+1, will be broadcasting 24 hours per day.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...mment_99818632

cheekyangus 26-10-2021 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36098856)
Is ITV/SDN set to use 5Select old slot???

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...mment_99818632

Interesting. Maybe ITV4+1 could get the ITV3+1 9pm until early partial slot if that ends up happening.

If ITV do end up using this space themselves, does that mean there weren't any buyers since they could've done it much sooner?

Media Boy UK 27-10-2021 01:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36098912)
Interesting. Maybe ITV4+1 could get the ITV3+1 9pm until early partial slot if that ends up happening.

If ITV do end up using this space themselves, does that mean there weren't any buyers since they could've done it much sooner?

Maybe ITV3 +1 is an short term thing with COM7 set to close in the coming years.

cheekyangus 27-10-2021 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36098924)
Maybe ITV3 +1 is an short term thing with COM7 set to close in the coming years.

:confused: ITV3+1 shares with CITV on COM4. If you mean it was going 24hr on COM7 I was under impression That's TV Gold took the last space there.
http://www.xhxf.uk/timeshares/

Or do you mean ITV3+1 takes the ex-5Select COM4 space temporarily until the COM7 closure forces one of those channels to take it or leave DTT?

Media Boy UK 27-10-2021 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36098926)
:confused: ITV3+1 shares with CITV on COM4. If you mean it was going 24hr on COM7 I was under impression That's TV Gold took the last space there.
http://www.xhxf.uk/timeshares/

Or do you mean ITV3+1 takes the ex-5Select COM4 space temporarily until the COM7 closure forces one of those channels to take it or leave DTT?

I did mean your 2nd point.

Media Boy UK 01-11-2021 17:40

More cuts to local news on that's TV

Quote:

Further cuts at That’s TV 1 November 2021 Following Ofcom’s green light, 15 out of 20 local TV channels owned by That’s TV will have local news produced from outside their region. Two studios, one in Glasgow and one in Manchester will record links for the entire network, with local studio bases in Cambridge, Salisbury, Swansea and York axed.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/further-cuts-at-thats-tv