Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Pronouns (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711251)

Russ 23-08-2022 11:23

Re: Pronouns

Nobody I know has jumped through hoops.

Nobody has asked me to put what I have in my signature.

Nobody I know has attempted to place any pressure on anyone to accommodate pronouns or names.

I do what I do as I believe it’s a kind thing and doesn’t impact on my life or existence in any way.

Sephiroth 23-08-2022 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 36132108)
And I pointed out how they were different. One was people having views on something, the other is people doing something.

I understand at what Hugh was getting at with the minority group but his statement ignored what I said about people jumping through hoops over this particular subject. He missed the nuances obviously....

Hugh does not miss nuances.

Hom3r 25-08-2022 15:40

One thing I remembered is that my nieces ex used to work for a major supermarket and obviously everyone there knew that "Shelia" was now "Bruce", some did say Shelia in error then corrected themselves.

So they decided to leave and found a job where my niece worked (My niece as since left), and they said their name was Bruce, but word spread that Bruce was Shelia, my niece said It didn't come from her and Bruce said I know, so they are looking for another job.

We think that they still have ID under their old name, and surely they can change it all by deed poll?

Russ 25-08-2022 16:04

Doesn’t even need to be a deed poll.

They can sign a Statutory Declaration which has the same legal powers and should only cost about a fiver.

pip08456 25-08-2022 18:24

Is this a result of pronouns? I consider it child abuse. What do you think?

Quote:

A 10-year-old child is making headlines as the world’s youngest trans model to walk the runway at New York Fashion Week after representing the Trans* Clothing Company brand.

Noella McMaher was a model at New York Fashion Week in February, but the child’s story has begun to receive additional media attention after it was announced that the 10-year-old had been signed on for modeling gigs until November.

According to Noella’s parents, the child began expressing gender dysphoria around age 2.
https://reduxx.info/worlds-youngest-...surgery-at-16/

OLD BOY 25-08-2022 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 36132096)
I’ve already given my reasoning. Call it an act of goodwill if that makes more senses.

Nowhere have I said I need to do anything. I work with a colleague called Joel who now asks to be referred to as “they” and “them”.

Why should I be a dick and deliberately ignore Joel’s reasonable request?

That's an easy one. By telling him that as an Englishman, you are offended by his expectation that you should misuse the English language in such a manner.

Hugh 25-08-2022 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36132394)
That's an easy one. By telling him that as an Englishman, you are offended by his expectation that you should misuse the English language in such a manner.

As Russ is Welsh, it’s unlikely he would tell him that…

Paul 25-08-2022 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36132392)
Is this a result of pronouns? I consider it child abuse. What do you think?

Quote:

Dee McMaher, Noella’s biological mother, is a social justice advocate who identifies as non-binary, appears to be on hormone replacement therapy, and recently had a cosmetic mastectomy. Both she and her current partner are females who identify as trans masculine.
Seems pretty clear to me they have forced this on a child too young to know any better.

OLD BOY 25-08-2022 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36132397)
As Russ is Welsh, it’s unlikely he would tell him that…

H’mm, got a point there…:erm:

Pierre 25-08-2022 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36132404)
Seems pretty clear to me they have forced this on a child too young to know any better.

No child displays gender dysphoria. Certainly not aged two. This is all about the parents. Munchausen’s Syndrome by proxy.

The child should be removed from the parents, for the child’s safety.

Aye Up 25-08-2022 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36132087)
That statement reminds me of almost exactly the same arguments being used against the decriminalisation of homosexuality and when marriage equality was first proposed…

Difference being is when those happened a societal conversation took place and everyone was afforded time to air their views or beliefs....

Russ 26-08-2022 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36132394)

But….I’m not offended by it.

I don’t know about you but it takes a hell of a lot more than a request of a pronoun to offend me.

In fact I’m more offended by your assumption that I’m English.

jfman 26-08-2022 21:50

It’d be interesting to see a Venn diagram of those offended by pronouns and those who’d prefer language followed living standards back to the 1970s. Simpler times when we could call a spade a spade.

Pierre 26-08-2022 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132537)
Simpler times when we could call a spade a spade.

Bravo! Made me laugh!

Paul 27-08-2022 00:37

Just out of interest, what is a spade called now ?