Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Oscar nominations 2022 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710801)

Damien 28-03-2022 16:43

Re: Oscar nominations 2022

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36117646)
I'll take your word for it and try and watch it this week. Probably Thursday. I am going to break my garden rule; the only animated stuff I have ever watched (and will watch) is Disney and Pixar. The two exceptions to that are the Clone Wars and Avatar: The Last Airbender. This experience is either going to reinforce and solidify that position or encourage me to be more flexible in the future.

Let me know what you think. If you like it you can add another studio to your exception list because Cartoon Saloon are really good.

General Maximus 28-03-2022 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36117651)
If you like it you can add another studio to your exception list because Cartoon Saloon are really good.

tbh if I like it it won't be because of the animation. I can tell you from watching the trailer that I hate this style of animation and it is the reason why I have my Disney/Pixar only rule. If I like it it will be purely for the story and emotions evoked.

Paul 28-03-2022 23:07

I have no idea who won what, all the news Ive seen about it today is about Will Smith hitting someone. :erm:

General Maximus 28-03-2022 23:14

I would say for the first time ever, with the exception of directing, the right people won in each category. I am befuddled, bemused and flabergasted as to why Denis Villeneuve wasnt even nominated for directing. Dune is his baby and wouldnt be what it is (and received the awards in the other categories) if it wasnt for him.

Chris 29-03-2022 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36117670)
I would say for the first time ever, with the exception of directing, the right people won in each category. I am befuddled, bemused and flabergasted as to why Denis Villeneuve wasnt even nominated for directing. Dune is his baby and wouldnt be what it is (and received the awards in the other categories) if it wasnt for him.

It’s not unheard of, when the story is expected to be completed in a sequel, for them to reserve judgment until then. Peter Jackson, for example, only got the director gong for LotR:RotK, despite the fact that the three films, much more so than almost any other series, are really one project and in reality you can’t separate them in their achievements across multiple categories. He was nominated for Fellowship but didn’t even get a nod for Two Towers.

General Maximus 29-03-2022 12:44

Yeah. I watched each of those ceremonies i can remember rotk sweeping the board. I was a long time coming and truly deserved.

General Maximus 01-04-2022 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36117651)
Let me know what you think.

A lovely film and it definitely had that special feeling to it. The thing which took the edge off it for me though is the animation. It isn't bad but I just don't like that style of animation, it reminds me of early Disney stuff and things have moved on since then. The only reason to use it now is for arty farty sake and isn't my cup of tea. A another good example for Apple to have in their catalogue though.

General Maximus 13-05-2022 12:47

Okay so here is an interesting one. If you didn't watch the Oscars there were two fan nominated awards, one for most memorable moment in film and another for best film. The winner for both left me genuinely speechless and confused, especially for most cheered moment because I can't even remember seeing it, that is how memorable it is. If you want a refresher here are the nominees:

You would have thought Avengers would have won by a mile. Not only is it simply better but also far more popular than DC in general and especially Justice League. It was too much of a coincidence that Zack Snyder films won both awards. Now we know why:

Quote:

Looks like the most controversial Oscar night in history just got a little more controversial. TheWrap has learned that the Academy’s “Fan Favorite” and “Cheer Moment” awards — the Twitter polls allowing regular folks at home to vote online in the weeks ahead of the March 27 ceremony for their own Best Picture choice as well as their favorite movie moment of all time — appear to have been rigged by automated online bot accounts backing the work of “Justice League” filmmaker Zack Snyder. Two reports from Tweetbinder, a hashtag analytics tracking tool, reveal that the most active contributors to both polls were autonomous web programs that cast thousands of fake votes for Snyder’s 2021 zombie heist film “Army of the Dead” (which ultimately won “Fan Favorite”) as well as the so-called “Snyder cut” of “Justice League,” the director’s re-edit of his 2017 DC Comics superhero flop (which won “Cheer Moment”).
https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63626335/

Stephen 13-05-2022 14:08

Considering how many people campaigned to get the Snyder Cut made and released I am not surprised. It made a pretty awful film much more coherent and very very good.

Army of the Dead was a good watch.

Damien 13-05-2022 17:18

That’s why you don’t do anything based on online Twitter polls