Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Racing (Horse) : Horse Racing (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711659)

Pierre 16-04-2023 20:38

Re: Horse Racing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36150012)
3 dead horses for our entertainment, maybe she had a point.

Unfortunate, without doubt, but the Grand National is what it is. It is dangerous for both jockey and horse. I know the jockey is making a choice to race and jump, but so is the horse. Credit the horse with some agency, I’ve seen many horses refuse.

The element of danger in the National makes it special, it’s the F1 of horse racing.

These magnificent horses are elite, have been specifically bred over centuries and trained to do what they do, and they are treated like royalty. They provide entertainment and thousands of jobs.

If it wasn’t for horse racing these horses wouldn’t exist, and horses in the U.K. would just be expensive pets for the middle and upper classes.

So no she, and others, don’t have a point.

Protesters should leave a well regulated sport that looks after their animals well, and unfortunately encounters accidental injuries and spend more time going after people like this

https://www.wales247.co.uk/shropshir...t-of-her-horse

Ms NTL 16-04-2023 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36150009)
I'm pleased you did but hope it's not caused you to much bother

My son bailed her out. Long drive from Bournemouth.:)

TheDaddy 16-04-2023 22:01

Quote:

No they don't have a point at all, nobody objects to protesting but a lawful pursuit being interrupted by illegal activity isn't a point it's a crime and that's without considering the melee at the first fence due to the horses being held in the parade area to long, it could've been carnage and they'd have been responsible

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36150014)
Unfortunate, without doubt, but the Grand National is what it is. It is dangerous for both jockey and horse. I know the jockey is making a choice to race and jump, but so is the horse. Credit the horse with some agency, I’ve seen many horses refuse.

The element of danger in the National makes it special, it’s the F1 of horse racing.

These magnificent horses are elite, have been specifically bred over centuries and trained to do what they do, and they are treated like royalty. They provide entertainment and thousands of jobs.

If it wasn’t for horse racing these horses wouldn’t exist, and horses in the U.K. would just be expensive pets for the middle and upper classes.

Protesters should leave a well regulated sport that looks after their animals well, and unfortunately encounters accidental injuries and spend more time going after people like this

Those horses live better than some humans, what do people think would happen to race horses if there was no racing?

Interestingly the breeding over centuries can be traced back to between one and three horses iirc

Ms NTL 16-04-2023 22:02

Quote:

Indeed, see next post by Pierre about "suicidal horses"

TheDaddy 16-04-2023 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36150015)
My son bailed her out. Long drive from Bournemouth.:)

I meant more, did they know it was you!

denphone 17-04-2023 07:34

Quote:

:tu:

ianch99 18-04-2023 15:17

Quote:

To paraphrase, the Grand National, a deliberately dangerous race where tired horses are whipped around a second circuit of the course increasing risk of injury & death, is "what it is".

The essential point is that it has nothing to do with the "magnificent" horses, rather it is all about the money: the wealthy horse owners and the betting companies. They claim to love their horses yet they are content to risk their lives. If you want to see the sort of people who own race horses, go here: https://blog.casumo.com/interactive/...ner-rich-list/

Let's not pretend this race (and other jump races) are benign. They kill horses, often by design. If that's your thing, good luck to you but it is not mine.

denphone 18-04-2023 18:59

It might not be your thing Ian but you are very much in the tiny majority here.

Hugh 18-04-2023 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36150103)

I don’t think you said what you meant to say there… ;)

ianch99 18-04-2023 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36150103)

I doubt there is a only tiny minority concerned about the issue Den. We are supposed to be a nation of animal lovers after all. All I am saying is that the race has a deliberate element of animal cruelty and danger. If this floats your boat, all well & good.

Paul 19-04-2023 13:57

A lot sports involving animals (and indeed those that dont) have an element of danger.

ianch99 19-04-2023 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36150138)
A lot sports involving animals (and indeed those that dont) have an element of danger.

Agreed but its the degree of danger and the intent that is different here.

denphone 22-04-2023 12:17

A few horses l fancy today.

Ayr 1.15 Hasankey to win
Ayr 2.25 Colonel Mustard to win
Ayr 3.35 Monbeg Genuis to win, Your Own Story and Undersupervision e/w
Bangor-On-Dee 4.00 Heartbreak Kid e/w
Newbury 2.05 Remarquee to win
Newbury 3.15 Jimi Hendrix e/w
Newbury 4.55 Glen Again e/w
Limerick 4.25 Rahmi e/w
Brighton 6.15 Intercessor to win
Brighton 6.45 Junoesque e/w

TheDaddy 22-04-2023 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36150326)
A few horses l fancy today.

Ayr 1.15 Hasankey to win
Ayr 2.25 Colonel Mustard to win
Ayr 3.35 Monbeg Genuis to win, Your Own Story and Undersupervision e/w
Bangor-On-Dee 4.00 Heartbreak Kid e/w
Newbury 2.05 Remarquee to win
Newbury 3.15 Jimi Hendrix e/w
Newbury 4.55 Glen Again e/w
Limerick 4.25 Rahmi e/w
Brighton 6.15 Intercessor to win
Brighton 6.45 Junoesque e/w

Scottish National, I had Kitty's Light, Monbeg Genius and shockingly Undersupervision, was a better pick than it looks imo as when he's in the mood he can really turn it on, he's way to skitty and unpredictable though so glad I used a free bet for betting in Elixer De Nutz in the 1.15 on him

denphone 22-04-2023 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36150335)
Scottish National, I had Kitty's Light, Monbeg Genius and shockingly Undersupervision, was a better pick than it looks imo as when he's in the mood he can really turn it on, he's way to skitty and unpredictable though so glad I used a free bet for betting in Elixer De Nutz in the 1.15 on him

l looked at Kitty's Light but thought she was a bit short in the betting.

Undersupervision one to avoid for me in future.