Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Football : European football clubs agree to create a Super League (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709971)

1andrew1 18-04-2021 16:04

European football clubs agree to create a Super League

Looks like it's happening! Clubs will still play in their own country's league.

Quote:

Top European football clubs sign up to breakaway Super League

Up to 12 teams including Liverpool, Barcelona and Juventus set to join rival to Champions League

Many of Europe’s wealthiest football clubs have agreed to join a breakaway “Super League” competition that would mark the biggest transformation of the game in decades.

Up to 12 clubs have signed up to a plan, backed by $6bn in debt financing from JPMorgan, to launch a new tournament that would supersede the Champions League, currently the continent’s top annual club competition.

According to people with knowledge of the discussions, those ready to join the breakaway contest include Spain’s Real Madrid and FC Barcelona; England’s Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea; and Italy’s Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan. These clubs either declined or did not respond to a request for comment.

The new league, according to documents seen by the FT, would involve 20 clubs with 15 being “permanent members”, meaning they could not be relegated and would not need to qualify through strong performances in national league competitions.
https://www.ft.com/content/4cbef20a-...a-2af383bd0f5a
https://news.sky.com/story/european-...tands-12279432

Hom3r 18-04-2021 19:49

Re: European football clubs agree to create a Super League

As if clubs don't have enough games to play without moaning about not enough rest between games.

jfman 18-04-2021 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077195)
Looks like it's happening! Clubs will still play in their own country's league.

https://www.ft.com/content/4cbef20a-...a-2af383bd0f5a
https://news.sky.com/story/european-...tands-12279432

Football authorities now kicking up a stink saying they couldn’t compete in domestic competition. Could get messy.

Ordinarily would chalk this up as a bluff but with teams losing a fortune due to Covid a one off windfall of £350m to join and a super TV deal would certainly soften the blow.

I’m a bit sceptical as to the long term viability of the product. These teams are big because they’re successful and they can’t all be successful in a closed shop league.

Carth 18-04-2021 20:56

Could get very messy indeed :D

There's so much wrong with this it's hard to know where to start, but I guess those pumping the cash in have already got plans in place to recoup any debt :D

iadom 18-04-2021 22:30

Might be another bluff for the ‘big clubs’ to get a bigger slice of the pie? Sadly the FA, UEFA and FIFA are pretty useless and in certain dealings downright corrupt so do only have themselves to blame.

I for one would not renew my United season ticket if this actually comes into being.:(

Carth 18-04-2021 22:39

If you look at the English clubs mentioned, you'll see that most of them haven't won anything in years . . they do however have rich owners and nice big modern stadiums in which to host 'big' games.

Funny that eh :D

iadom 18-04-2021 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36077232)
If you look at the English clubs mentioned, you'll see that most of them haven't won anything in years . . they do however have rich owners and nice big modern stadiums in which to host 'big' games.

Funny that eh :D

City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, United...how many years are you going back? ;) Even Spurs got to a major European final. Every single team apart from Spurs has won a trophy in the past five years.

Carth 18-04-2021 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36077233)
City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United...how many years are you going back? ;)

How many years of pretty constant success would make a club 'big'?

One premiership champions in 10 years?
One cup in 5 years?
Nothing in 30 years for Spurs :rofl:

denphone 19-04-2021 04:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36077231)
Might be another bluff for the ‘big clubs’ to get a bigger slice of the pie? Sadly the FA, UEFA and FIFA are pretty useless and in certain dealings downright corrupt so do only have themselves to blame.

I for one would not renew my United season ticket if this actually comes into being.:(

It is a bluff with plenty of sabre rattling going on until they agree a deal and all make up again.

1andrew1 19-04-2021 08:03

The Premier League's TV rights won't be decided too soon then! The Damned United, currently on iPlayer, illustrates why this is a bad idea.

nomadking 19-04-2021 08:50

Seems a lot of trouble and expense by the backers for it just to be sabre-rattling.
The only people that seem to support the idea are those involved. Pretty much everybody else seems to be against it.

1andrew1 19-04-2021 09:24

I would be interested to see what Sky and BT have to say on the matter. ;)

denphone 19-04-2021 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077246)

Given many of the football presenters and pundits employed by these companies have been very vocal since yesterday l would say they have quite a lot to say on this matter.

Carth 19-04-2021 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077246)

I think whatever is said, it will start with "we are prepared to offer . . "

Once all that's done, it will be over to us, and what we are prepared to pay ;)

iadom 19-04-2021 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36077248)
I think whatever is said, it will start with "we are prepared to offer . . "

Once all that's done, it will be over to us, and what we are prepared to pay ;)

Very true, the fans either in the grounds or watching on TV will have to foot the bill in the long run, unless we all decide to boycott it. Such huge amounts of money from the Far East will follow this venture making our small protests insignificant, should it ever see the light of day that is.

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36077235)
How many years of pretty constant success would make a club 'big'?

One premiership champions in 10 years?
One cup in 5 years?
Nothing in 30 years for Spurs :rofl:

If you take the five competitions/trophies available to clubs, Premier League, European Championship, Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup plus the more spurious World Club and Champion of Champions baubles into account.

Giving weighted points for a top six finish, semi final appearances etc over the past five or even ten years I am certain that these six clubs, even with Spurs included would be miles ahead of the rest of the pack.

Still don’t make it right.:mad:

Carth 19-04-2021 10:50

Definitely not right . . in a sporting sense, however the line between sport and business started to become blurred many years ago.

The list of clubs pushing for this are not necessarily the most successful, but are in the list of top 20 richest in the world (and quite possibly the top 20 of most debt).

Nice list here of the top 20 richest (scroll to nearly bottom)

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/whic...j1m5mc753tv1us

Have a look, and try to guess the 3 clubs still waiting to be announced as 'founder members' with no relegation ;)

1andrew1 19-04-2021 10:55

I wonder what Mourinho thinks about the new league? he's just been sacked from Tottenham.
https://www.skysports.com/football/n...tenham-hotspur

Hom3r 19-04-2021 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077256)
I wonder what Mourinho thinks about the new league? he's just been sacked from Tottenham.
https://www.skysports.com/football/n...tenham-hotspur

Apparently he refused to take the team out to the training ground.

This could cost him the £30m sacking payout.

Maggy 19-04-2021 11:04

I think it might mean we see less football on TV or online.

iadom 19-04-2021 11:21

One thing is for sure, if this venture does get onto the runway the legal vultures will be rubbing their hands.:(

Carth 19-04-2021 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36077258)
I think it might mean we see less football on TV or online.

If it goes ahead I think football on TV may drop slightly, depending on the deals thrashed out by the broadcasting companies. But 'online' & 'pay per view' will probably go through the roof. There are millions of people out there willing to throw £20 (or more) per game at clubs/services to watch their team, and other teams, no matter how unexciting the football is ;)

. . . and iadom is spot on with the vultures waiting to pounce, not just the legal ones, football agents with an interest in the best price for their 'clients' will be clamoring for more in an 'elite' competition*

*not that there's any competitiveness in a league with no relegation for the big boys

1andrew1 19-04-2021 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36077262)
*not that there's any competitiveness in a league with no relegation for the big boys

May as well have a rota as to who's turn it is to win.

jfman 19-04-2021 13:14

To link it in with a running thread along the forum it gets round the problem of a global media company getting pan-European (or worldwide) rights to a major league in one go.

1andrew1 19-04-2021 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36077277)
To link it in with a running thread along the forum it gets round the problem of a global media company getting pan-European (or worldwide) rights to a major league in one go.

One for either of those two global power houses DAZN or Eleven Sports to snap up. :D:D:D

jfman 19-04-2021 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077278)
One for either of those two global power houses DAZN or Eleven Sports to snap up. :D:D:D

:D

As much as I've referred to the death throes of DAZN elsewhere on the forum they are being linked to this. JP Morgan Chase are supposed to be financing this to the tune of $6bn. Doesn't take much more to prop up DAZN for a while longer - the league could take a stake in DAZN in the process vertically integrating the thing from top to bottom removing broadcasters from the process at all.

Damien 19-04-2021 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36077257)
Apparently he refused to take the team out to the training ground.

This could cost him the £30m sacking payout.

That rumor seems to have come from a random twitter account though

Hom3r 19-04-2021 18:36

Chelsea, Manchester United and Real Madrid could be banned from next weeks Champions Leagues semi-finals.

It's on the sky app, but not the site

iadom 19-04-2021 22:31

They have already set up their web site.:rolleyes:

https://thesuperleague.com/#who_we_are

Pierre 19-04-2021 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077195)
Clubs will still play in their own country's league.

That is by no means certain

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

They should be kicked out of their domestic leagues, and not allowed to compete in any other competition.

Then the whole thing will just collapse in on itself.

They are trying to replace the champions league. The Premier league is still their bread and butter and like any greedy get, they still want their bread and butter. But they don’t want the winners of the bread and butter to have any cake. They have the cake guaranteed.

Kick them out of the premier league, and see how their fans, home and away fans, enjoy travelling to either the North West of England or Italy or Spain every other week to watch your team.

Kick them out of the premier league it’s the only way.

nomadking 19-04-2021 23:31

At the very least, the authorities could not allow income from this new league or whatever other arrangements, to be included in the Financial fair play rules.

Pierre 19-04-2021 23:48

Actually L9 of the premier league rules dictate that it is not allowed, therefore to continue they have to leave the premier league.................see ya!

Carth 19-04-2021 23:56

I think the actual rule says they need permission to play in other competitions.

I have a feeling we all know how that will go, especially with the size of brown envelope these clubs and their 'financiers' have tucked away :(

jfman 20-04-2021 03:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36077322)
That is by no means certain

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

They should be kicked out of their domestic leagues, and not allowed to compete in any other competition.

Then the whole thing will just collapse in on itself.

They are trying to replace the champions league. The Premier league is still their bread and butter and like any greedy get, they still want their bread and butter. But they don’t want the winners of the bread and butter to have any cake. They have the cake guaranteed.

Kick them out of the premier league, and see how their fans, home and away fans, enjoy travelling to either the North West of England or Italy or Spain every other week to watch your team.

Kick them out of the premier league it’s the only way.

100% agree.

I think they want a “cake and eat it” approach replacing the CL at first while not threatening domestic revenue streams. That said I think they see that as a stepping stone to leaving their domestic league once it’s up, running and developed. Hints are at first it’ll run with 15 teams and expand to 20.

Kick them straight to step 2 if that’s what they want.

Damien 20-04-2021 07:20

The Premier League is in a difficult position here. Kicking them out will be the last resort. These teams are a big part of the league and the television deals, games like Liverpool vs United are why they fetch so much money for them and even more so abroad. The people who purchased the rights would not be happy and it might be a breach of contract.

So to kick them out would be a huge economic cost to the league and the remaining teams. It'll be a massive hit to the value and international appeal of the Premier League.

It will be the last thing they do. Eventually, they might have no choice for now they'll instead hope it gets resolved another way with either a bargain being struck between UEFA and these teams or the Government intervening.

There are also rumours this morning that Chelsea and City are losing their nerve and might back out.

1andrew1 20-04-2021 09:33

The most important UK Premier League TV rights are the UK ones and the UK rights for 2022-2025 have not yet been awarded which is both positive and negative for the Premier League. Perhaps it will borrow from a US bank and offer a financial loyalty sum to Premier League clubs? But how such cash sums work with financial fair play I'm not sure.

I can see this freezing many areas in the Premier League due to the uncertainty for the next few months eg Everton's funding of a new stadium, all clubs' major new player signings etc.

The only benefit of the proposals is that they seem have united the country, albeit against them!

Damien 20-04-2021 09:38

I think the idea is dead to be honest. The fact some clubs are now clearly briefing journalists that they didn't like it but they had to go along with it makes me think they're looking to back out.

Carth 20-04-2021 10:08

These 'big' teams are also the reason why football is riddled with debt.
For years their rich 'owners' were able to pump cash into them, bidding wars for the best (haha) players sent prices (and wages) soaring. Then rules were introduced to prevent this . . . which were then circumvented by backdoor methods to increase cash put into clubs.

Debt has spiraled out of control, not only in the Premiership, and those living beyond their means are now in a position where, in any other business, they'd be filing for bankruptcy.

But no, instead of trying to reduce their debt, they come up with an idea to grab an even bigger share of the money available.
You know what will happen? Players and their agents will demand even more in transfer fees and wages for those in this 'elite' private membership tournament . . and clubs will pay, and the debt will grow, and costs of attending or viewing (PPV) matches will increase, viewing figures will drop . . . and then there will be another brilliant idea by the financiers . . . and the circle continues.

If this is allowed to happen, the Premiership itself will become a 'non competetive' league, with the top 6 (haha) having twice the income of any other club . . . and those other clubs will start looking at 'alternative' ways to increase their cash flow trying to catch up.

Professional football may eventually end up with One league, consisting of 10 mega rich clubs, and everyone else playing semi-professional for peanuts in Northern & Southern leagues.

RIP football.

Sephiroth 20-04-2021 16:01

I have a problem with Government getting involved.

This is a free country and businesses should be free to set themselves up as they wish.

It follows also that other businesses (the FA, Premier League, FIFA, UEFA) are free to set their own rules for membership of their respective entities.

The Guvmin should butt out.

TV rights will be interesting as the Premier League, for example, will want to recoup losses. But the public will baulk at hikes in subscription costs; they will also resist significant ticket price increases. I'm holding back on renewing my Spurs season ticket because if they are chucked out of the Premier League, I'm not interested.

Chris 20-04-2021 16:21

Government has always had an interest in football because it is of major public interest. It's a key aspect of our popular culture. The way in which football is viewed both in the stadium and on TV is subject to plenty of regulation, some of which exists because there is a massive power imbalance between the owners and the fans - an aspect of the professional game that is very much to the fore this week. These proposals represent an absolute sea-change in the professional game in England, because of the disproportionate influence the half-dozen owners in question have here. It's absolutely right for the government to intervene.

Sephiroth 20-04-2021 16:39

I don't disagree with your sentiment about the proposed changes.
It's simply that this is a stretch too far for government to get involved. The football governing bodies should be handling this.

I don't want to give the Guvmin more powers to stiff legitimate businesses which is what this breakaway would be.

Carth 20-04-2021 16:51

The football governing bodies have never handled anything (apart from brown envelopes).

Maybe it is time for someone to step in :Yes:

admars 20-04-2021 16:51

Boris is involved, so that if it doesn't get the go ahead, he can say he sorted it. (I'm sure any other PM would do the same)

but yes, there's more important things for him to worry about, and they shouldn't be involved, maybe his brown envelope wasn't as big as he was expecting?

Chris 20-04-2021 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36077382)
I don't disagree with your sentiment about the proposed changes.
It's simply that this is a stretch too far for government to get involved. The football governing bodies should be handling this.

I don't want to give the Guvmin more powers to stiff legitimate businesses which is what this breakaway would be.

As of this evening it’s unclear whether the governing bodies actually have the power to sanction the players in the way that has been threatened. It would amount to a denial of their right to work. If there isn’t a basis in legislation such action could be unlawful. At worst it could be outright illegal.

If the powers the governing bodies need are unclear, the government has to get involved, because that is the only way to put legislation before parliament quickly enough.

PM on Radio 4 is reporting that Boris thinks there *might* be sufficient legislation in place already to allow the relevant governing bodies to block this, but if it turns out there isn’t, he is prepared to legislate. The question is what happens in the grey area between sports and competition legislation.

Also, you know the excreta has impacted upon the air circulation system when Radio 4 news leads on a sports story.

Sephiroth 20-04-2021 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36077390)
As of this evening it’s unclear whether the governing bodies actually have the power to sanction the players in the way that has been threatened. It would amount to a denial of their right to work. If there isn’t a basis in legislation such action could be unlawful. At worst it could be outright illegal.

If the powers the governing bodies need are unclear, the government has to get involved, because that is the only way to put legislation before parliament quickly enough.

PM on Radio 4 is reporting that Boris thinks there *might* be sufficient legislation in place already to allow the relevant governing bodies to block this, but if it turns out there isn’t, he is prepared to legislate. The question is what happens in the grey area between sports and competition legislation.

Also, you know the excreta has impacted upon the air circulation system when Radio 4 news leads on a sports story.

If the founding teams were in their own private league, they won't be out of work.

The governing bodies can surely add a definition of "club" to their rules so that a player's club must be one affiliated to that governing body which, in turn, can be governed by rules as to which leagues are allowed to offer "clubs".

Something like that. But not the government; it's a precedent too far.

Hugh 20-04-2021 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36077393)
If the founding teams were in their own private league, they won't be out of work.

The governing bodies can surely add a definition of "club" to their rules so that a player's club must be one affiliated to that governing body which, in turn, can be governed by rules as to which leagues are allowed to offer "clubs".

If they did this (without any law changes), I bet the 6 clubs would sue for unnecessary restraint of trade...

Chris 20-04-2021 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36077393)

I suspect Boris is hoping that the threat of legislation will be enough. The clubs need to understand they’re in a no-win scenario. If the calculation was purely based on existing laws, where there is an acknowledged grey area between sporting and competition legislation, they may well decide it’s worth the fight. If they come to understand that if they win in the courts, they will then lose in parliament, where they have no hope of influence, then that is almost certainly going to be enough to persuade them not to waste their money on all those expensive corporate lawyers.

Damien 20-04-2021 18:02

I think the Government is hoping the backlash and the threat of legislative action is enough to defeat the plans.

It would probably start getting difficult if the Government tried to craft coherent laws that allow them to block which competitions a private sporting organisation can join? It would get very messy.

nomadking 20-04-2021 18:22

There are already a load of restrictions surrounding clubs and players. Players have to be registered at a club, which probably has to be registered with a Football Association, which in turns leads to membership of UEFA and FIFA.
The UK has 4 separate Football Associations, which is why England, Scotland, Wales and NI are treated separately.

Theoretically nothing can stop them forming their own league, but there is nothing to say the various levels of Football Associations have to let them be part of their competitions etc. After all, this new league is closed in nature.

jfman 20-04-2021 18:23

As the Bosman ruling showed some of the football rules are inherently incompatible with the EU.

Essentially the authorities act as semi-closed cartels, collective bargaining for media rights and some sponsorship. A blind eye has been to some extent turned, and football clubs have never really challenged it due to the threat of being kicked out.

nomadking 20-04-2021 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36077399)
As the Bosman ruling showed some of the football rules are inherently incompatible with the EU.

Essentially the authorities act as semi-closed cartels, collective bargaining for media rights and some sponsorship. A blind eye has been to some extent turned, and football clubs have never really challenged it due to the threat of being kicked out.

The clubs can't exist in isolation, which means things like media rights would be complicated.
Most, if not all sports operate in a similar manner.
The Bosman ruling was about the specific situation where a player's contract had come to an end.
Link

Quote:

In an interview with The Guardian, Bosman himself said: "Now the 25 or so richest clubs transfer players for astronomical sums and smaller clubs cannot afford to buy at those prices.
"So the 25 pull further and further away from the rest, deepening the gap between big and small. That was not the aim of the Bosman ruling."

Carth 20-04-2021 18:58

Being reported that Chelsea are currently drawing up the paperwork to withdraw from the ESL.

I wonder who the ESL have as a reserve?

jfman 20-04-2021 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36077401)
The clubs can't exist in isolation, which means things like media rights would be complicated.
Most, if not all sports operate in a similar manner.
The Bosman ruling was about the specific situation where a player's contract had come to an end.
Link

I’m not disputing that most, or all, sports operate this way or that on some level it could be desirable (that’s a whole other debate).

But when challenged in court on a point of law they need to be able to point to where legislation or legal precedents allow them to operate in this manner. I don’t see where this exists.

I’m totally against the idea and hope the courts do rule against clubs seeking to break away.

Sephiroth 20-04-2021 19:04

I don't see why the courts should get involved with clubs breaking away from their associations. If clubs want to join another association instead, it's up to them.
If the associations want to allow a club to belong to more than one association, that's up to the associations.

There's no role for government here.

Julian 20-04-2021 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36077402)
Being reported that Chelsea are currently drawing up the paperwork to withdraw from the ESL.

I wonder who the ESL have as a reserve?

Chelsea were always the weakest link, not in debt like the other clubs.

jfman 20-04-2021 19:18

City now... Barcelona rumoured.

iadom 20-04-2021 19:22

I reckon Mr Putin had a word Roman A, let’s put some Yankee noses out of joint.:p:

Damien 20-04-2021 19:58

Looks like the whole thing is off and that Ed Woodward has resigned at United

Julian 20-04-2021 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36077414)
Looks like the whole thing is off and that Ed Woodward has resigned at United

Every cloud has a silver lining for Manu fans then :D

jfman 20-04-2021 20:02

Well lads it was nice to be in a thread where we all shared the same position. :)

Carth 20-04-2021 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36077416)
Well lads it was nice to be in a thread where we all shared the same position. :)

:D so true . . . see you next year for ESL 2

Hugh 20-04-2021 20:06

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...4&d=1618945574

iadom 20-04-2021 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36077415)
Every cloud has a silver lining for Manu fans then :D

RESULT. :cool:

Chris 20-04-2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36077405)
I don't see why the courts should get involved with clubs breaking away from their associations. If clubs want to join another association instead, it's up to them.
If the associations want to allow a club to belong to more than one association, that's up to the associations.

And yet, there was.

The government ensured the clubs faced a no-win scenario, simply by floating the prospect of legislation. A potentially significant disruption to the fabric of our cultural heritage has thus been averted - right at the point where such a disruption would have been least welcome.

For a great many people, a Saturday afternoon match played before a roaring capacity crowd will be a major signal that national life is returning to normal. This was the last thing they needed.

El gov has done us a solid here.

1andrew1 20-04-2021 23:09

Liverpool has now left, as at 10:55pm.
Quote:

Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.
https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1384626759518261251

Stuart 20-04-2021 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36077405)

In theory you are partly right. These clubs *are* members of an association and are free to leave that association.

However, whether we like it or not, Football is a major part of UK culture. Although it sometimes seems they aren't bothering, one of the government's many jobs *is* to protect that culture.

1andrew1 20-04-2021 23:36

All six English clubs have now left.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56823501

Chris 20-04-2021 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077438)
Liverpool has now left, as at 10:55pm.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1384626759518261251

Good.

Despite being under foreign ownership, Liverpool has been very successful at fostering an image of being close to the fans. But Fenway must truly have a tin ear to have thought LFC fans would have applauded this, and once the fans, the players and even Klopp came out against it they really had no choice. To press ahead would have been to needlessly alienate a lot of people.

Carth 20-04-2021 23:40

There are 2 or 3 big names that resigned from high positions in the European football world so they could be chairmen etc of the new ESL . . . wonder how they feel now ;)

Sephiroth 20-04-2021 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 36077439)
In theory you are partly right. These clubs *are* members of an association and are free to leave that association.

However, whether we like it or not, Football is a major part of UK culture. Although it sometimes seems they aren't bothering, one of the government's many jobs *is* to protect that culture.

There will be those who might challenge the notion that football is a major part of UK culture. I know what you mean but I don't think it runs that deep.

However, no government has done anything to protect the UK's culture. It is only a matter of time before our culture is submerged by other cultures.

1andrew1 20-04-2021 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36077443)
There are 2 or 3 big names that resigned from high positions in the European football world so they could be chairmen etc of the new ESL . . . wonder how they feel now ;)

Gutted for them. :D

Who's going to bail out the over-borrowed Real Madrid and Barcelona now that the Super League ruse looks dead in the water?

---------- Post added at 23:53 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36077442)
Good.

Despite being under foreign ownership, Liverpool has been very successful at fostering an image of being close to the fans. But Fenway must truly have a tin ear to have thought LFC fans would have applauded this, and once the fans, the players and even Klopp came out against it they really had no choice. To press ahead would have been to needlessly alienate a lot of people.

They knew Klopp's view on the matter and I'm sure he was not the only one to speak his mind at that club.

I suspect the clubs had varying motives in joining. For Arsenal and Tottenham it must have looked like a passport to Europe whilst for Manchester City it may have been more of a ruse to get more out of the Champions League. And for the over-borrowed Spanish clubs, a financial rescue deal without the embarrassment of calling it that.

Chris 20-04-2021 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36077444)
There will be those who might challenge the notion that football is a major part of UK culture. I know what you mean but I don't think it runs that deep.

However, no government has done anything to protect the UK's culture. It is only a matter of time before our culture is submerged by other cultures.

In the specific instance of football, the government has put the World Cup, euros and the FA cup final on the list of designated events to prevent them vanishing behind paywalls. The EU intervened to prevent live league broadcast rights from being sold as a single exclusive package to any one broadcaster on competition grounds. I suspect nobody will be proposing that is reversed now we’re out.

Hugh 21-04-2021 00:23

Quote:

<cough cough>

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...and-s-heritage
Quote:

Communities Secretary has announced new laws to protect England’s cultural and historic heritage.

From:Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government, The Rt Hon Oliver Dowden CBE MP, and The Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP

Published:17 January 2021
Or do you mean like our culture was submerged by the Normans?

jfman 21-04-2021 04:01

Be interesting to see if any American owners walk away.

I’m of the opinion that some saw this as a quick buck - set up new league with new TV deal, no risk of not qualifying, new set of sponsorship deals all pushing up the share price then sell on the “franchise” in 3 to 5 years.

denphone 21-04-2021 04:35

Quote:

:tu:

---------- Post added at 04:35 ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36077424)
RESULT. :cool:

Something to be certainly cheerful about.:D

Damien 21-04-2021 07:52

Quote:

No one can seriously challenge the notion that football is a major part of UK culture. It's self-evidently true. It was a sport invented here. Britain hosts its most famous league and many of the world's most famous teams. It's very well attended across the Premier League and Championship. These clubs are often very important to the communities they are in.

Chris 21-04-2021 08:39

Quote:

If this is what you believe, then it's your connection to reality that doesn't run that deep.

I'm not a passionate football fan by any means, but in every workplace I've ever had, and every social setting I've ever been a part of, I have always come across plenty of people who at least have a view, probably will name 'their' team, and in some cases eat, sleep and breathe the sport.

I think your problem may be lack of familiarity with the working class part of British culture where the most passionate part of football's fan base is to be found. There are households where the season ticket is a family heirloom.

The sport may not matter to you, and obviously that's fine - but don't confuse 'things that aren't important to me' with 'things that aren't important.'

Sephiroth 21-04-2021 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36077450)
<cough cough>

Most people would know what I mean when I say that our culture will be submerged by others in the fullness of time.

Heritage and culture are different things.

---------- Post added at 08:49 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36077464)
If this is what you believe, then it's your connection to reality that doesn't run that deep.

I'm not a passionate football fan by any means, but in every workplace I've ever had, and every social setting I've ever been a part of, I have always come across plenty of people who at least have a view, probably will name 'their' team, and in some cases eat, sleep and breathe the sport.

I think your problem may be lack of familiarity with the working class part of British culture where the most passionate part of football's fan base is to be found. There are households where the season ticket is a family heirloom.

The sport may not matter to you, and obviously that's fine - but don't confuse 'things that aren't important to me' with 'things that aren't important.'

Did Hugh write that piece for you?

My Spurs season ticket has passed down the family. Doesn't mean it's part of the (diminishing) culture surrounding me.

Thigs of 'importance' are not necessarily matters of 'culture'.

Chris 21-04-2021 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36077465)
Most people would know what I mean when I say that our culture will be submerged by others in the fullness of time.

Heritage and culture are different things.

---------- Post added at 08:49 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

Did Hugh write that piece for you?

My Spurs season ticket has passed down the family. Doesn't mean it's part of the (diminishing) culture surrounding me.

Thigs of 'importance' are not necessarily matters of 'culture'.

You are incorrect. Again, you're getting confused, because you insist on working in limited categories and often seem to prefer to look for binary opposition when there simply isn't any. It's great that the Spurs season ticket passes down your family, but it's not so great that with such an obvious cultural artefact right under your nose you still can't see it.

Everything humans do generates culture. If it's important, then its cultural influence is important. It really is that simple. I could write you an essay on it, but as I'm in the middle of writing a dissertation on it and I have a tutorial deadline this evening, I won't.

Suffice it to say that culture is not limited to whatever neoclassical snobbery insists it is.

Jaymoss 21-04-2021 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36077450)
<cough cough>

What do you mean by our culture? we have been a multi cultural nation for millennia. Before the Normans you have the Vikings who had massive influence over vast areas of Anglo Saxon England which itself was made up largely of North Sea coast Europeans and Germanic Tribes and then before that the Romans although when they left their culture was weirdly left to rot

Hugh 21-04-2021 09:40

Agreed - "cultures" evolve.

But off-topic, so let’s celebrate the collapse of the ESL.

Hom3r 21-04-2021 09:42

Why the hell are Sky News and BBC News talking to Tony Blair over this, he should be told to STFU and butt out of this.

I guess he will be asked his option on the death of Jim Steinman next?

Damien 21-04-2021 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36077465)

If our most popular sport, one which is increasing in terms of popularity still, is not part of our culture then what is? This is a bizarre take.

You have a Spurs Season ticket? So you've attended this massive 60,000 seater stadium they've built in North London, just two tube stops away from another 60,000 seater stadium built less than 20 years ago in North London and you don't think it's part of our culture? Wembley was rebuilt only recently too.

When we look back on the Romans one of the most popular impressions we have of their culture was the Colosseum and we've built tens of dozens of huge versions across the country with London have added four new massive ones in the last 20 or so years. If we were all suddenly wiped out and a future civilisation had to work out who we were based on what we left behind they would think we worshipped God(s) and football.

denphone 21-04-2021 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36077470)
Agreed - "cultures" evolve.

But off-topic, so let’s celebrate the collapse of the ESL.

The day football fans finally fought back.

Paul 21-04-2021 15:00

I cannot comprehend how these clubs thought it was a good idea, or that fans would support it. :confused:

Carth 21-04-2021 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36077515)
I cannot comprehend how these clubs thought it was a good idea, or that fans would support it. :confused:

I think they (the owners, not managers/players) were desperate for an increased income with which to pay off their ever mounting debts.

The monetary offer from JP Morgan, along with some probable 'sweet talking' over streaming rights that could net them £millions, blinded them to the fact that, unlike American audiences, the idea of franchised sport isn't something Europe cares for.

Oh, and they are business people, not sports people ;)

Hom3r 21-04-2021 16:38

Some fans (including the 6) say the 6 clubs still should be deducted points.

iadom 21-04-2021 16:46

Just received this cringing Open Letter from Joel Glazer.:D

To all Manchester United supporters,
Over the past few days, we have all witnessed the great passion which football generates, and the deep loyalty our fans have for this great club.
You made very clear your opposition to the European Super League, and we have listened. We got it wrong, and we want to show that we can put things right.
Although the wounds are raw and I understand that it will take time for the scars to heal, I am personally committed to rebuilding trust with our fans and learning from the message you delivered with such conviction.
We continue to believe that European football needs to become more sustainable throughout the pyramid for the long-term. However, we fully accept that the Super League was not the right way to go about it.
In seeking to create a more stable foundation for the game, we failed to show enough respect for its deep-rooted traditions –promotion, relegation, the pyramid – and for that we are sorry.
This is the world’s greatest football club and we apologise unreservedly for the unrest caused during these past few days.
It is important for us to put that right.
Manchester United has a rich heritage and we recognise our responsibility to live up to its great traditions and values.
The pandemic has thrown up so many unique challenges and we are proud of the way Manchester United and its fans from Manchester and around the world have reacted to the enormous pressures during this period.
We also realise that we need to better communicate with you, our fans, because you will always be at the heart of the club.
In the background, you can be sure that we will be taking the necessary steps to rebuild relationships with other stakeholders across the game, with a view to working together on solutions to the long-term challenges facing the football pyramid.
Right now, our priority is to continue to support all of our teams as they push for the strongest possible finish to the season.
In closing, I would like to recognise that it is your support which makes this club so great, and we thank you for that.

Paul 21-04-2021 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36077535)
Some fans (including the 6) say the 6 clubs still should be deducted points.

Thats just crazy vindictive talk (and no, I dont support any of them).

Carth 21-04-2021 17:51

I remember (way back) when Man Utd were a club in profit every year, and then the Americans moved in :shocked:

*strange thing When posting that, I had a vision of Gordon Hill scoring direct from corners . . . he was a player that lad ;)

daveeb 21-04-2021 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36077537)
Just received this cringing Open Letter from Joel Glazer.:D

To all Manchester United supporters,
Over the past few days, we have all witnessed the great passion which football generates, and the deep loyalty our fans have for this great club.
You made very clear your opposition to the European Super League, and we have listened. We got it wrong, and we want to show that we can put things right.
Although the wounds are raw and I understand that it will take time for the scars to heal, I am personally committed to rebuilding trust with our fans and learning from the message you delivered with such conviction.
We continue to believe that European football needs to become more sustainable throughout the pyramid for the long-term. However, we fully accept that the Super League was not the right way to go about it.
In seeking to create a more stable foundation for the game, we failed to show enough respect for its deep-rooted traditions –promotion, relegation, the pyramid – and for that we are sorry.
This is the world’s greatest football club and we apologise unreservedly for the unrest caused during these past few days.
It is important for us to put that right.
Manchester United has a rich heritage and we recognise our responsibility to live up to its great traditions and values.
The pandemic has thrown up so many unique challenges and we are proud of the way Manchester United and its fans from Manchester and around the world have reacted to the enormous pressures during this period.
We also realise that we need to better communicate with you, our fans, because you will always be at the heart of the club.
In the background, you can be sure that we will be taking the necessary steps to rebuild relationships with other stakeholders across the game, with a view to working together on solutions to the long-term challenges facing the football pyramid.
Right now, our priority is to continue to support all of our teams as they push for the strongest possible finish to the season.
In closing, I would like to recognise that it is your support which makes this club so great, and we thank you for that.

Equally cringey from John Henry, the American billionaires certainly know which side their bread is buttered on, I'm sure the angry sponsors had more than a little impact on the sudden U-turn.

Hugh 21-04-2021 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36077554)
I remember (way back) when Man Utd were a club in profit every year, and then the Americans moved in :shocked:

*strange thing When posting that, I had a vision of Gordon Hill scoring direct from corners . . . he was a player that lad ;)

Yup...

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...-much-debt.asp

Quote:

As part of the takeover, the Glazers saddled the club with a large amount of debt. Around £265 million was secured by the club's assets, with the total amount of debt around £660 million.1

This was the first time the club had debt since 1931.11 The loans were provided by large American hedge funds, with interest rates on the debt amounting to approximately £62 million a year.12 A substantial portion of the loans were payment in-kind loans, which the club was paying 16.25% interest on at one point.

iadom 21-04-2021 18:52

I liked the line, 'rebuilding trust' , there has been no trust to rebuild at any time since 2005.:rolleyes:

Chris 21-04-2021 20:38

Quote:

Quite right. Now let's have a couple of verses of Silent Night, then get back in the trenches.

jfman 22-04-2021 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36077570)
Quite right. Now let's have a couple of verses of Silent Night, then get back in the trenches.

:sniper: ;)

Mr K 23-04-2021 09:44

Hopefully the fans of 'super clubs' that have no connection to the cities (just like the players/owners), will review their allegiances, and support their local team at whatever level they're at.

Following your local team on an unlikely FA Cup run or a rise through the leagues beats anything the Super/Champions league can offer.

Carth 23-04-2021 10:07

. . and you can stand safely instead of herded into block seating, there's no long queue at the toilets, and you get proper mugs of tea not plastic tasteless stuff :D

Mr K 23-04-2021 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36077753)
. . and you can stand safely instead of herded into block seating, there's no long queue at the toilets, and you get proper mugs of tea not plastic tasteless stuff :D

Indeed! :) Though I suspect 95% of Premiership 'supporters' don't leave the sofa.

denphone 23-04-2021 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36077755)
Indeed! :) Though I suspect 95% of Premiership 'supporters' don't leave the sofa.

Quite.....:Yes::Yes: