Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Potential new customer questions (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711331)

muppetman11 14-09-2022 10:12

Potential new customer questions

If you port your number over from a BT Phone line to Virgin Media will this automatically cancel your broadband with your provider as well ?

On the 200mb package with VM , if after activation we add an O2 sim only offer do we get double data and get a boost to our home broadband speed if so to what ?

What is peak time contention like these days on Virgin as this was the main issue we had years ago when we were last with them ?

Hugh 14-09-2022 10:16

Re: Potential new customer questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36134130)
A - If you port your number over from a BT Phone line to Virgin Media will this automatically cancel your broadband with your provider as well ?

B - On the 200mb package with VM , if after activation we add an O2 sim only offer do we get double data and get a boost to our home broadband speed if so to what ?

C - What is peak time contention like these days on Virgin as this was the main issue we had years ago when we were last with them ?

A - Don't know
B - Yes to the double data on the Sim, and boost to 350Mb
C - Haven't had any congestion (peak time or otherwise) in years.

muppetman11 14-09-2022 10:21

Thanks Hugh

Do all installs now receive the Hub 5 or is this whatever is on the van that day ?

Synthetic 14-09-2022 10:32

In regards to no 1, yes it'll auto cancel (at least it has the last 2 i've done)

BenMcr 14-09-2022 10:46

It's technically the phoneline only. Some providers will cancel broadband once there isn't an active line.

And Gig1 customers will get a Hub 5 now, others would get a Hub 3 or 4.

muppetman11 14-09-2022 11:04

Thanks for the responses , what’s the Wi-Fi coverage like on the Hub 3 and 4 Ben ? And will the Hub 3 work perfectly well with the 350mb tier ?

Hugh 14-09-2022 11:14

I had the Hub3 when I was on 500, and it was fine…

pip08456 14-09-2022 11:46

Re 1. if you wish to keep a ,presumably, FTTC connection as a back up, I suggest you move it to EE broadband only.
As there will be no telephone number associated with the broadband you can migrate your number to VM.
BT intend to transfer all broadband customers to EE anyway.

ash45 15-09-2022 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36134138)
It's technically the phoneline only. Some providers will cancel broadband once there isn't an active line.

And Gig1 customers will get a Hub 5 now, others would get a Hub 3 or 4.

when did that start to happen ive been on gig1 yonks and still cant get a hub 5 out of them still get the its not out yet unless ya get a invite crap, i just want that dam 2.5Gb port lol

BenMcr 15-09-2022 10:28

New Gig1 customers started getting the Hub 5 when the WiFi Max with WiFi Guarantee launched the other week, as it's WiFi Max then also enabled Pod support with the Hub 5.

Not sure what the plan is for existing Gig1 customers who currently have a Hub 4. I think all existing Intelligent WiFi Plus customers need to get moved to WiFi Max first.

Synthetic 15-09-2022 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36134224)
New Gig1 customers started getting the Hub 5 when the WiFi Max with WiFi Guarantee launched the other week, as it's WiFi Max then also enabled Pod support with the Hub 5.

Not sure what the plan is for existing Gig1 customers who currently have a Hub 4. I think all existing Intelligent WiFi Plus customers need to get moved to WiFi Max first.

I filled in the form for a Hub5 (currently have a Hub 4 on Gig1) and was told I wasn't allowed a , because I already have a 4 so it looks like they're not keen on changing existing customers.

muppetman11 15-09-2022 12:11

If ordering Stream with your Broadband do the installers bring this and setup or is it posted out to you ?

BenMcr 15-09-2022 14:08

Pretty sure the installers will have it if your broadband is getting an attended install.

Mad Max 16-09-2022 19:58

I just changed my package as it was due up next month, I was offered the new Hub 5 and a 1Gig upgrade, is the main connection to the new Hub 5 the same as previous hubs? I noticed on a video that the cable just slides onto the new hub, but with the hub I have at the moment, I had to use a small plastic spanner to connect it.

pip08456 16-09-2022 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36134335)
I just changed my package as it was due up next month, I was offered the new Hub 5 and a 1Gig upgrade, is the main connection to the new Hub 5 the same as previous hubs? I noticed on a video that the cable just slides onto the new hub, but with the hub I have at the moment, I had to use a small plastic spanner to connect it.

It just slides on now and has for the past 10 yrs. It is tight though, I've never had a problem with it.